Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Most Underrated Striker?
BuckMcDancer (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Personally I feel it has to be ole gunnar solskjaer, he was a legend and a great goalscorer too bad he was injured a lot. Also I feel robbie keane is underrated.
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Ahh yes, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, real legend that boy, I even like him and I usually despise Manchester United players. He was always clutch, popping up in big games, a favorite asset of mine as I am always better under pressure in important situations, so I admire that he could score big goals at such a level of football. It is cool that he is now managing the Manchester United reserves, maybe Ole will take over the helm of SAF. Good call with Solskjaer, are you talking all time or just modern? Because Ole is retired, if we are talking all time it has to be Just Fontaine, scored 13 goals in a single world cup and nobody even knows he is
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Arrr indeed pirate, who could forget Just Fontaine, best French striker possibly ever? Anybody who likes digging up footballing history before their time would know about the guy and that 13 goal record sets him apart from the rest. I can't possibly see it being broken unless Villa or someone goes berserk over a team like New Zealand (no offence to the Kiwis )

Edit: just looked him up and he was chosen the best French player over the past 50 years.

200 appearances 165 goals. Whoa
In today's game I would say Kris Boyd and Miroslav Klose for guys that have been around a long time and haven't got the praise they deserve. Younger kids Henri Saivet and Diogo of Olympiacos Diogo is great at scoring goals with his head. Also Mohamed Zidan if he can be considered a striker
Agreed, there are a lot of good young strikers coming up all over Europe and if there was one under-rated player that stood out, I'd pick Klose. Leading scorer at the WC, consistent performances at the top level, scored a lot of goals at Werder Bremen and to a lesser extent at Bayern. He must be up there with the leading WC scorers of this generation, a feat that should truly give him the plaudits he deserves but rarely gets. Imagine if him and Podolski had played for Poland instead. He wouldn't be anywhere near the record books
Ya Klose is world class. Did you know if he scores 5 goals at this World Cup(he has scored 5 in both his previous world cups) he will be the all time World Cup leading scorer? Amazing isn't it, I don't think a lot of people know that because he is less well known, than the current leading scorer, Ronaldo oh Phenomeno, who needed four world cups to reach that mark(granted he didn't play in his first World Cup). Ronaldo won the FIFA world player three times, I doubt Miroslav has ever even come close to winning it haha. And Klose scored all of his goals in the 2002 World Cup with his head, which has to be one of the coolest statistics I have ever heard, I love to score with my head. Haha ya that's crazy that the two best German strikers were born in Poland, who would of thunk?

Have you ever heard of Kris Boyd? He is a fantastic striker but not many people outside of Scotland know he is. He plays for Rangers, but not many people know he is because he hasn't played with the national team since he was young because of disputes with the coach, otherwise he would probably be there main striker. Unfortunate for Scotland he is a great player
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Kris Boyd's style of play is very unique, he is a goal poacher, he likes to stay in the penalty area and score, that's what make his goal ratio so high, he is a really good finisher. But somehow his overall contribution let him down. He would be very effective if the formation is 4-5-1, with a lone striker up front.

Just knew that he is amongst the top strikers in the SPL, he is just 8 goals behind the 1st place which is the legend Henrik Larsson in goals. And to know he is only 26 years old, he would win this whole thing man
Yep he is definitely a pure goal scorer, he won't contribute much else but goals, but what else do you need from a striker besides goals? I guess the Scotland federation just fired the coach on the 16 so maybe we will see him in the national side soon. I hope to see him and Scotland in Brazil in 2014
Yeup Chris Boyd is quite the prodigy and has been for a while. Always turns up in the SPL weekly round-up highlights hah. Its a case of the country needing the player more than the other way around and I'm sure it'll happen eventually, sooner than later
Another player who could have gone on to be imperious at a bigger club is Brian McBride. Every Fulham fan would consider him to be a club legend and he gave an awful lot to the club even at his age. Tough, gritty, intelligent striker who I'm sure raised the profile of the sport for many in the US. If that didn't happen, shame.... Proves again how under-rated he was
Ahh yes, Mcbride is a legend of futbol in the US. Everybody loves him, he also almost single handedly saved Fulham from relegation two years ago(was it three now?) when he came back from injury. Being a Chicago Fire fan he is one of my favorite strikers in the MLS, he is one of the better players at scoring goals with his head in the entire world(Miroslav is probably the best) and he is still doing it at his age. Good call on this one Ruggedknot
Stefan Kiessling. He has been top of his form so far, scoring 12 out of 14 games in the Bundesliga, leading the second place by 6 goals! Shows how capable he is, he's really a lethal finisher, with his aerial ability and very composed, combined are all his techniques in striking the ball well, may end up winning the Golden Boot.

Another one would be definitely Bobby Zamora. Although he struggled to find the net last season, he is involved in almost every attack and played fairly an important part. He has always been rated behind Clint Dempsey and Andrew Johnson but no one realises he is the unsung hero of the Fulham team.

A Kiessling is one I forget about, I guess that shows you he is really underrated haha. He is a great striker, he plays for Bayern Leverkusen correct? Anyways he seems like a great striker, very composed finisher and always making good runs. Bobby Zamora is class as well, very pacey player and he has been getting goals this season. It is always great to see people praising Dempsey as well though, especially people from London, it makes me proud as an American to see English guys talking about how great Demp is
Clint is the man. Sitting well in my footyteam as well haha
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
It's nice to see Dempsey make us Americans proud, he was part of my boyhood Rev's team that made it to the cup finals like 4 out of six seasons lol
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Patrick Helmes  
Yeah, the striking partner of Kiessling who got injured this season. Now the striking burden falls on Kiessling
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Diego Forlan anyone?
He won the goldern boot last year, emerging as La Liga's top scorer beating Eto'o, can anyone forget that?
I feel he doesn't get the recognistion he actually deserve!
Senthil (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Yeah I saw many matches, he plays as right forward, he plays like beast running on the field, his passes and goals were stunning
R10girl (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Forlan and Pazzini
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Diego Forlan is in top 10 Strikers in the world right now....Another underrated striker is:

Luis Fabiano

Adrian Mutu

Ltm017 4 years ago
I agree about Fabiano
Keong (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Ian wright
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Underated Overated stuff is my subject let me elaborate on all the countries eh.

Germany-

Olic-

Scores Scores Scores. The most underated striker in germany and even still, bought from bayern yet people hardly care. He is persistant and has everything a striker need and wants. Strong and agile he is germanys number 1 striker.

Italy-

Totti-

Old but Amazing. Still on top of his game. Has been consistant well over the years but still sits behind on what is called the " Luxuries " bench of the italian side. A Football Genious and A Man Of Great Entertainment. His Creative and funny celebrations have brought him love to the olypic stadium. He is captain of his side and currentley thier best striker.

Spain-

Diego forlan-

Mister European Boot of the year is hardly spoken of on this part of the world. But last season he has been scoring more goals then ronnie had dived. He is currentley injured but when he is fit he is known to be dangerous and deadley to any opponent that faces him.

England-

Rooney-

Captain Fantastic. Rooney is the complete striker. Most strikers need playmakers to bring the game to them. But when it comes to rooney, he is the playmaker and the striker. His football is beutiful and his touch on the ball is outstanding. Preety much the best striker in england at this time.

ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Diego forlan I definitely agree with. Great Striker, to bad he didn't preform for Man Utd. Rooney has to be one of the best strikers in the world, up there with Torres, a lot of people don't give him enough credit. Olic Haha could've seen that one coming, Bremen freak agreed with Totti as well
Rooney and Totti is not underrated, they are mostly rated. Especially Rooney, if you were to judged the time Rooney was still in Everton, he is underrated. But when he comes to United, he is not anymore
I agree on you with Totti and Diego Forlan.  But rooney isn't underrated really.... What makes you think that he is underrated?
Pragathish- when he plays on the left and gives all the support to beba and anderson. Who gets the praise? Seriousley he works his arse off. He needs to be given a medal
Like the golden work your legs off trophy seriously. He only get praise when the goals come, luckily a lot of times they do
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Just what I was looking for - I think The Ronaldo. He scores goals all the time, or at least he did, and he deserves more credit. I felt really sad to see him in so much pain. He is still prolific, a great goalscorer. Who gives a damn if he's fat.

And look at him now, back playing again in his homeland Brazil. He so deserves to be mentioned more. Amazing

Aww.... Finally someone in footytube to speak about 'El Fenomeno''s sky high skills.
Congrats yogan
Everybody just mocks around him saying he is fat.... Who cares if he's fat or not!All we need from a striker are goals. Most of them forgot that Ronaldo is football players, not a model!

Zishan07 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Fernando Torres

Club - 17 in 38.
Country - 6 in 13.

David Villa

Club - 31 in 40.
Country - 13 in 14.

Those are last year's statistics for both players. Yet, Torres recently polled 22 votes in the Ballon d'Or. David Villa gained 2. I'm not saying Villa's underrated, I just wanted to make a point;

Villa > Torres.

By miles
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Yeah man villas is better than torres apar from his killer instinct on the field he can take free kicks very good
Yeah, Villa is not loved at all because he is at a weaker team than Torres. In Liverpool, people hail Torres as god even though he gets injured often and doesn't perform his best most of the time. Imagine if Villa come to the EPL
Imagine villa in Liverpool. Withought a doubt both are the best two finishers in the world right now. I believe torres will be the ferness and david will be the killer finisher. And yes he is good at freekicks
Torres and Villa are equal in my opinion, both good at the same things, and both better at different things. Two Strikers up front with Villa and Torres, with Stevie G behind you would be killer
Omar (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I know Miroslav Klose has already been mentioned, but I'm going to say it again:  Miroslav Klose
Lol the bremen days. He was my Hero!
Now he's your Enemy
Sad but true
Zzlatan (Barcelona) 4 years ago
David villa is most underrated player.
He has some nice skill and dribble.

Another underrated player is samuel etoo.
He is too good with his pace, but for being black he don't have fame.

And third striker is Robbie keane...
Don't know about bieng black but alot of people need to stop looking at other players and focasing on them heroes. Heroes like eto. He is miles better then Zlatan " Lazy Ass " Bromovich. Just hope some barca fans agree with me
Most are little Robots and follow Laporta. Which saddens me all Barca fans are convinced he was worth it. I wouldn't offer eto'o for him much less 40m with it! Barca tick me off in that way. Curse that lazy camel
MenUk (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Most underrated striker ever gotta' be craig bellamy  That boy knows how to run & dribble

Kick4Life - changing lives through football