Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Most Underrated Player(s)?
Jeroen (Barcelona) 5 years ago
To rival with the most overrated players thread, it would be nice to see who you guys think is underrated.

Just a couple of things: don't post big names, because they can simply not be underrated. I'd love to mention Messi, because in some nukes and crannies people still don't know or rate him, but that would be ridiculous. Posting (very) young players is just as ridiculous, unless they're very, very obviously gifted and not rated as such
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Nice idea, I like it
Here's a couple I can think of now:

*Yossi Benayoun: I see a lot of potential for Yossi. He's got a similar playing style as Messi, on a high level, and that simply can't be bad.

*Ashley Cole: he is hated by so many English fans for 'betraying' Arsenal on the final day of the 2006-2007 transfer season, but he is without a doubt one of the best left backs in the world. Makes a great defensive contribution, is consistent and has improved a lot in setting up an attack.

*Victor Valdés: the Barça goalkeeper is often discredited, the reason being that he's never into the Spanish national squad. But there are good reasons for that: a national squad needs a goalkeeper like Casillas, who is very reliable and simply world class. Valdés's qualities are his great reflexes combined with his 1vs1 ability and his agility and strength. That is exactly what a team like Barcelona needs, because they only have to fear the counter-attack and set pieces.

*Clarence Seedorf: Despite being well over 30 and being in a team that performs dreadfully, Seedorf is still doing great: he has extraordinary skill on the ball, masters all kinds of passing and crossing and performs well even if the team doesn't.

*Gerard Piqué: Despite being well-known for playing at Barça, he's still underrated IMHO. Last season he may have been Barça's best defender and he has been crucial in the Champions League, performing his defensive tasks to perfection. Barely commits fouls but dominates nonetheless. And he's not just a good defender: from nature he's a midfielder, and one with great technique too: he doesn't get nervous when encircled with opponents, but passes the ball coolly instead.

*Moussa Dembélé: All right, there may be a little bellicose patriotism here, but I am confident that Dembélé is going to be a star in one of the biggest team in Europe in a year or two. He's comparable with Ibrahimovic, but replace Ibra's temper and regular goals with Moussa's efforts for the team and speed. The only problem is that he's a winger/attacking midfielder who doesn't score often (yet). But when he does, they're real beauties:

And that's just his last season. His main qualities are actually assisting the target striker, dribbling, passing and his extraordinary ability to attract 2-3 defenders and still beat them, thanks to his strength, balance and skill, just like Ibra
Theshid (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I agree with Benayoun I think if he was Barzilian or from Argentina people would talk much more about him
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Enjoyed that my friend. Agree all the way
Franboy (Barcelona) 5 years ago
I agree with you for Moussa Dembele. For others even when they play in all major European clubs and receive large salary! Underestimated?
Yeah, some of them are, because Piqué for example does play at Barça, but if you would ask someone who the better defender was last year, everyone would go for Puyol, while I am really confident Piqué was better on all fronts
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Seedorf is a great pick. In my opinion he has one of the best touches in the game today. He also connects as easier with Inzaghi than any other player I've seen. On top of that, at 30, he still has great pace to him
Jabernard (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Good list. Two quick points:

I think pique is just too young to be recognized. He barely played for manchester united and now he's with barca. Give him another year and everyone will recognize him.

Lastly, I think people know that ashley cole is one of the best left backs in the world. They hate him because he is so good. But, they will be cheering for him and england in south africa
Liverpool9 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Agree with almost everyone on that list.... Especially Benayoun.... Watching him play in Liverpool on a regular basis makes you understand how much of a talented footballer he is...
@ Darius: actually Seedorf is 33 or even 34! So yeah, he's quality
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Victor Valdes is not very sure to me.... ! Sometimes, he lost is concentration like that.... He's very strange: capable of the best and the worst...
Sam (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
Benayoun definitely definitely underrated.... Creates chances out of nothing and is a deft passer and finisher.... I think that he deserves the starting opportunities that he has been getting....

(Barca fan opinion) Valdes is a decent goalie, but I don't think he is underrated.... He does have good reflexes but truth be told he has a good defence in front of him.... There have been a number of occasions that I have screamed at my TV because he has either refused to come out to get a ball off a set piece or 'cause he was lulled to sleep because for >85 min he had nothing to do and then when the other team finally get their first shot on goal, he is just coming out of a daydream or s'thing.... He does seem to be making fewer of those mistakes of late....
DiegoFC (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
I think iniesta is one of the most underrated players right now, he has great ball control and perfect passing he is a deadly mid
Yeah, Iniesta is fabulous, but I don't consider him underrated any more (last year he still was), because it generally only is the English people (no offence at all), that don't know him that well. He's a very popular player in Spain and all of Belgium knows him because he scored this stunner against us:

Look at his composure and technique.... Fabulous
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Agree, now everybody knows who is Iniesta !  He's a great player !
I rate him high. He is widely known now
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I rate him high just not worlds best
Always called Iniesta one of the best players in Spain and Barca people kept laughing at me until they saw the Euro Cup and the Champions League...
Pragathish (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Carrick
Ji sung park(does simple things so well)
Dirk kuyt(hard working, unselfish)
Benayoun(best super sub)
Yaya toure(a rock in the midfield? Defence)
Agree with Park wow how many times has he saved Manchester United.... If Ronaldo didn't haha
Fceddie (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Garenteed the two most under rated players are iniesta and gourgoff
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
You mean Gourcuff !
Yoann is hardly underrated now is he? He got elected best player in France this season!
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Milan lost a big player shame on them !
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Diego is to me one of the most underated player, and diego milito too !
Only two teams (Juventus for diego and Inter for milito) were on them this summer !
How can it be possible?
I agree with you.... They both hav been a menace to milan
Yeah, Diego is great, and underrated. But I think that after this season he won't be any more. If he keeps this level of football up he'll be a very highly rated player and for good reason!
Good point. Both players are fantastic, especially the former. I don't understand how he isn't playing in place of elano and ramires for brazil
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Soon or later he will be part of Brazilian team, it's just a matter of time !  
Oh Yeah. Diego is just awesome. Today I orderd the gold and silva kits of juve with diego written on both of them. I will carry on rooting him
Hopefully it's sooner rather than later. I would love to see him contribute to a good brazilian world cup campaign
Yes. He will do awesome for brazil. But he needs to be given a chance
Dhanasil (Manchester United) 5 years ago
That's a great choice
I think Sebastien Frey from Fiorentina and Given from Manchester city are way too underated for me they are great players, they saved their teams on several occassions and deserved to be in big clubs
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Agree with Sebastien Frey, he is to underrated, that's the kind of goal for a team like Arsenal !  
One of my all time faves frey
Agree with both
Benzema is still underrated by many even after making his mark on la liga, and there is also michael essien. I've commented on him many times on these forums and really firmly believe he doesn't get the praise he deserves. Remember chelsea didn't start playing really good last season until he returned from injury
Benzema is not there yet. I still see something lacking. But with expierence he will be improve.

And as for essien. He is soooo under rated. Becouse of his injury we havent seen much. But we will when he comes back to his very best
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Maybe he is underated !
But Benzema is a crack, he already proved that many times !
He needs a little bit time in Madrid but trust me he can do everything, scoring assisting, free kicks and moreover he can plan everywhere in the fron line !
Well the biggest reason he is underrated is because few saw just how good he is while he was playing for lyon
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I don't know if anyone can be underrated when they cost their club in the excess of 30 mil.... Isn't that the opposite of underrated? Guys?
Lets not forget that madrid was held ransom by every club out there and from the price inflation, and also lyon is known for overcharging for their players. Not only that but even if he isn't underrated by his clubs, my point was that he is underrated by many many fans, and there are alot more who don't even know who he is
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Vonrassmussen, yeah he costed a lot to Madrid but Nobody knew about him before he came even here on the site a few people know about him !
But I don't think Benzema is overrated to because he showed nothing for the moment but he's great that's a fact, don't worry !
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Mata he is amazing if played in barca of madrid he will be very know,
Yaya Toure for me he is one of the top 3 defensive midfielder and he doesn't get the praise he deserves
Mata is Fast and agile. And suspirisingly his crosses are amazing too
He is surely a one for the future.

And lol who remembers the confed cup. He shooted up faster than riera on the wings
I rate this man very highly. Just wish Rafa Swoops him while he can
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Agree !
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Hope he goes somewhere besides LFC have him on dream footy
I want barca to buy him for the replacement of henry
I want barca to buy him for the replacement of henry
I find that many of the worlds best defensive midfielders don't get the praise they deserve. I think its mostly because they don't have the best statistics in terms of goals and assists and their contributions, though absolutely necissary, are much more difficult to notice
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Mata or Silva In Barcelona next Year?
Silva to take the place of henry, many of the catalans don't like the french man so much
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 5 years ago
Frey and Cole are my picks here. Without Frey my Viola would suck!
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Agreed, Sebastian Frey is one of the best keeper these few seasons in Serie A, he's underrated. Probably that he is in a team that hasn't a lot of publicity and was contested by Buffon and Julio Cesar in Serie A
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Frey alreadyplayed for Inter Milan, so I do't think it's a question of publicity.
That's another one but I don't what it is !
One thing is Sure in France Nobody wants him, I never understood why.... !
To me he deserves to be call for France, But Domenech never liked him even in the youth team when he coached him !
He always prefred Landreau.... That's a choice...
So true amayel. I mean frey is perhaps one of the worlds greatest keepers right now (top ten at least) but domenech has never seen it. That man really has to go because frey would surely be a massive asset to the french national team
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
The Problem is that Domenech set up Frey during a fake game it was the last Ukraine-France !
Frey made a huge mistake whereas he done nothing during this boring match !
So, Domenech take this opportunity to ban Frey.... !
Today, it will be very hard for him to come again because we got to marvelous and young goalkeeper : Lloris and Mandanda!
IIn my opinion he deserves a place, definetly!
You know, having played goalie myself, I think that's a very very harsh decision by domenech to drop him from that one blunder. In all honesty it was a very awkward stop to make. Sure he should have kept it out but that was not an easy shot to stop (if you can call it a shot). Plus it is one mistake. Give the man another chance and you won't regret it
Jose bosingwa is another underrated player. He seems to be critisized for every little error yet everytime I see him play I see one of the best right backs the world has to offer
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Chelsea's aim is to win the champions league. This is one of the most richest club in the world which have the best players of the planet and they won nothing on the european stage !
Bosingwa is not underrated believe me, but he is the only real right back of is club that's why maybe he is critisized....
Moreover, when you are one of the best everybody wants a lot from you....
I wouldnt say he's the only one. Belletti and paulo ferreira both play right back and so can ivanovic. Plus he recieved alot of criticism last season even though he was arguably the best right back in the league
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Yeah, your right !
Ivanocvic is better in the center to me but Your right I forgot about Paulo Ferreira and Belletti, but their game lost in values....
Belletti is today more efficient in the middlefield !
On3two (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Hopefully without too much bias, I think Ji Sung Park is so underrate. People talk about how great he is with the ball and the control he has but he never gets talked about enough for him to be the feature of highlights! Its no wonder he is a celebrity back in his homeland of Korea. One of the best midfielders in the premiership without a doubt
Yesh.... He is the beckham of korea
A superstar in Asia too, one of the biggest players in Asia
Absolutly PArk is a hell of a player who is in the shadow of players like Rooney and others while hw works hard for the team. I like very much too bad he plays for utd
Yae, sure park do sometimes save Man UTD
Ji Sung Park is definitely underrated.... Doesn't get the credit he deserves because United have such an abundance of talent at midfield.... I think that his quality speaks for itself.... Very few players get contract extension offers while getting as little playing time as he does.... We wouldn't mind having you at Arsenal Ji Sung...
And I forgot Ronaldinho.... Yes.... Sure.... He is underrated!He doesn't play well JUST FOR 2 games, but he has performed very well on other 5 to 6 matches.... Yet he is benched, hated by milan fans and declared that he is past his prime
No he is not underrated, in fact he is overrated. After that leave from Kaka to Real, all the responsibility was on him to perform, but he didn't perform well and was even benched in the match against Udinese
But he didn't perform well only 2 matches.... See the match against udinese.... He was the most dangerous milan player!He must be given the chance to prove himself...
No no, he deserved a lot more than what he is
Actually there is already a thread, but oh well....

1. Arteta - One of the best in Everton, a crosser, free-kick taker, corner-taker, penalty-taker. What's more?

2. Iniesta - Such a good dribbler, provides good short and through passes when needed.

3. Ibisevic - Really surprises everyone when he finished with 18 goals in half of the season, sadly he is out injured for the rest of the season. One of the best in the underdog team Hoffenheim.

4. Lampard - A inspiration to the team, long shot pro, a passer, strong in both foot, a hardworking guy.

5. Arshavin - he's quite underrated when he went in Arsenal, and he proved himself when Liverpool drew with Arsenal 4-4 when he scored all 4 goals. He is hardly a striker, mostly an attacking midfield or a centre forward yet he scores 4 goals against one of the biggest clubs in the world.

6. Diego - Impressed for Juve after coming from Bremen, in fact, he was already so underrated for Bremen.

7. Milito - Already scored 5 goals in 5 games for Inter this season, already blinded Eto'o's transfer to Inter. May as well finish on top of Eto'o being the top striker of Serie A.

Copied from old thread and added some new ones.
I don't think that Arshavin is underrated he's in England for one year and people knows already that he's the attaking heart of Arsenal if he does a season like last year I'm sure he'll be in the list for the PFA without a doubt
Arteta is underrated, he was so good in 06-07 he should be call to play with spain
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Your list is fine but I don't believe in Ibisevic.
To me Ibisevic is more overrated than underrated.... Last year, he surprises me too because I saw him play a few years ago when he played for the PSG and he did nothing very exciting.
We can find many similaries between Ibisevic and Hoffenheim: Both were very Surprising last year but not enough strong to make something in the end !
To me Ibisevic will score a few goals but not 18. If he scores 10 goals, it will be good for him after the rest will be a kind of Bonus !
He stats today: 6 games 0 goals....
Yes as I said, he was underrated when he came to Arsenal and score 4 goals against Liverpool, but now he's not underrated already and considering I made this comment 4 months ago in another thread.

Ibisevic is a surprise at last season, scoring 18 goals for the first half of the season, but he was injured the second half of the season there, so it might affect his confidence
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Haha, Incuteration have you seen that !
Tour little "protégé" have scored a hat trick, so Ibisevic want definitely want to make me lie ! Lol
But I still do not believe in him.... But if he scored to much I will have to change my mind and admitt that you have right on that case !
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Haha, Incuteration have you seen that !
Tour little "protégé" have scored a hat trick, so Ibisevic want definitely want to make me lie ! Lol
But I still do not believe in him.... But if he scored to much I will have to change my mind and admit
That you have right on that case !
Don't think Arshavin is under rated anymore.... He served notice to the rest of the league when he single-handedly carried Arsenal in that classic game against Liverpool....

Arteta, in my opinion, is underrated mainly because his injury woes keep him from remaining in mainstream conversation for any decent length of time....

Diego somehow didn't garner much attention in Europe last season even though everyone knew that he was the driving force behind Werder.... As a Juve fan, I could not be more thrilled that we got such a quality player, and I think the Champions League will be the platform where he shows everyone what they missed out on....

Milito is just a scoring machine.... I think his move from Genoa to Inter shows that he was underrated everywhere else except in Italy.... He just finds a way to "bulge the old onion bag" on a regular basis.... And that's why he is on my fantasy team!
Andy (Rangers) 5 years ago
I was going to lock thread and re-direct to the original but these posts seem to be of better quality.

I'll just reiterate that before you create any thread, the staff would like you to use forum search function beforehand. Clicky Here!

If anyone is interested, original thread is here
Oops, my bad Andy, I just didn't see any in the intelligent footy debate
Soo many of these. But yes keep this one. I like the first page

Kick4Life - changing lives through football