Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Most Overrated Player In The Premier League?
Seantoon (Newcastle United) 5 years ago
The Premier League is full of exciting player's full of skill and talent.... ^_^
But some players should I say.... Are lucky to be where they are? ^.... ^?

The most overrated player currently playing in the Premier League at the moment is:

Robbie Keane.

He under performed at Liverpool, and his best days seem to be behind him now at Tottenham.
What do you people think?

SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
He just didn't suit our team. He is not over rated. He is a good clinical finisher
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think he'll fit well at Tott, it's just gonna' take him a little time to get settled
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
He won't have to get settled because he already knows all the players:] he was there before he went to the Reds
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Lol time to get settled, HOW LONG DOES HE NEED, he was only away for 6 months
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
LOL True
Buddy (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Can, t make my mind up between the new beckham (bentley) or the poor mans bergkamp (keane)
Zach (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Keane has great positioning and superb skill on the volley...

Robbie Keane Belter Vs Arsenal - For more funny movies, click here
Mufcranten7 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Poor man's Bergkamp is an insult to Bergkamp. Keane runs around uselessly like a chicken with his head cut off and when he has the good fortune to happen upon a good position, he shows his shocking lack of ability more often than not
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Agree, keane is so rubbish !  
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Bergkamp is legend, agree with mufcranten
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 5 years ago
I think that people who say he's overated obviously don't know him that well he has gone off form passed it what ever but b4 he left 4 liverpool he was much underated scoring evry week and assists I have to say and this is the truth.... Arsenal fan
I think Keane proved his worth at the weekend as he netted 4 times
Sam (Juventus) 5 years ago
I think that people should re-consider their evaluation of Keane now.... He is a hard worker who puts in his time and plays with a ton of passion, and as he showed over the weekend, he is a finisher and can score on his day...
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Gotta' say Michael Owen. He's long past his prime, and I don't know why people is so excited about him joining Man Utd. I predict he's gonna' warm the bench for the first half of the season then get injured at the second half of the season
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I wouldn't really say Owen has been overrated. I don't think anyone is really expecting much of anything from him. Given his history of injuries and the free transfer, it's really the lowest he's been rated in his career
Second that ballinout.... A player can't be overated who hasn't started a match yet this season
He hasn't even started yet this season I don't think, in the prem. Rooney and Berbatov have been in the forward positions. But Owen has still got energy left in him. He came on as a substitute in his second proper match and scored with a brilliant finish
On3two (Manchester United) 5 years ago
As a United fan, when I first heard that we first signed Owen I was shocked. Admittedly when I found out he was a free transfer I was a bit more satisfied but I still think Owen is past his prime as well. There's no doubt he can still run around and score goals but his tally will never reach what he could during his peak years. As a secondary striker to strengthen the squad he can't be half bad
Tokyoreddevil (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I agree with On3two here. Yesterday showed exactly what we should be expected from Owen this season. Good movement off the ball and an eye for goal. If he puts 10 away this year I think he'll prove a good investment
FUTBAL (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Agree with you (Incuteration). It's a shocking news that MU signed him in. During the pre-season, he did well but now he is not really that good anymore. I think he need a little bit of luck & help from his teammates. He is good in the past but that is history and this cannot guarantee his present & future performance. Even capello didn't use him for England squad
Pragathish (AC Milan) 5 years ago
He isn't over rated.... Ppl get excited 'cause, he can fit into the super-sub role soo well.... You saw the derby? It makes my point clear
The derby's goal was a clear scoring chance, 1v1 with the keeper, if he didn't score it then he would be criticised. I'm not boasting but I can even score that kind of chance, no offense. Clearly it was Man City's defenders fault for not defending Owen well
I would say rio ferdinand.... I think he's way past his prime...
No Way. Look at the united defence. Whenever vidic plays withought rio he struggles. They need both to be solid
Bobmarley (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Agree Ferdinand is overated. No way was he ever the best defender in the world, or close, but his price tag helped evade the truth
Zishan07 (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Vidic struggles without Rio? Dude, seriously, don't be an idiot
Na he is awesome. United have best defence in the world
Rio Is awesome Vidic is awesome with both Amazing, no he's not overrated
Rio is the rock of our defence along with Vidic and they both still have many seasons left in them. The one who is definitely past his time is Neville. He has been great for United over the years but maybe its now time for him to hang up his boots?
Rio overrated?! United only allowed 24 goals last season and set a record for most consecutive clean sheets with Rio as a core element. Not even close to being overrated, still one of the best around and should have at least another couple of seasons with that title
Certainly gave away a goal today in the 90th minute of the match, did make it more exciting though
Tru that
Zizou10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I'd have to agree...
Yidarmy4lyf (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Terrys overrated compared to rio. If either of them are past they're prime its gota be terry, I disagree vidic struggles without rio
Surprised no one mentioned Robinho.... I feel like that's a given
I don't think so.... He has finished 4th top scorer last season.... Lets see if he do good this season
4th top scorer? Wow, I had no idea. I just remember all of those penalties he attempted last season
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Lol Well let's just say that Robinho didn't have as much help as he did last year compared to now
Rockerr (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Ya Last season he didn't hav any help.... But now seems like his help is not needed
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I love him but your right Ballinout. Even though he did'nt do to bad he still flopped in my opinion
Blooob (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Dirk kyjt from liverpool
He was never rated high. And he is more under rated
He is actually underrated!  He is kinda player who plays for the team!
Yea nobody really think about dirk and then bam!    Goal oops
I think Kuyt is Underrated, not Overrated!  He puts in so much effort into every game ^_^
If effort was the only criterium for a top-class footballer, then you could put a constipated man into Liverpool's starting XI and maybe they'd finally win the league...
Sorry but Kuyt is way too underrated. In the Liverpool team, people only cared about Gerrard, Torres and such and was like nobody gives a dam about Kuyt. Hardworking has been his character, he may not be fast, he may not be skillful, but boy his work rate is sure at maximum in every game
He's scoring important goals too, I think he is underrated as well. He's the only Liverpool player with a goal in the champions league
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Kuyt is one of our main players that make thing happen and work hard all match, he is not even close to being over-rated...
Zizou10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
You can't be serious. I will agree with all the people who said he's underrated.... Him and Benayoun
Maybe if the fat waiter plays him in his natural postion up front with torres he would be recognized more, I tick to my poin t that rafa hasnt got a clue!
Tevez IMO. He surely not worth £47 million
Yea, but I think he's only overfated by the price ManCity paid for him, he wasn't even getting starting time.... Although he probably will with the Adebayor suspension.

But in my book as well he is overrated
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Second that opinion. Having paid 25 mil for a striker that doesn't finds the net that often will make him overrated no matter what
Maybe he is overrated but he's got a special place in my heart Carlitos. And he is an incredible player ya? I didn't watch the derby today but watching the highlights it looked like he was working hard as if he was trying to prove he was worth that match but he always works hard. He will probably end up scoring a lot of important goals for City as well, he has a knack for getting clutch goals
Dhanasil (Manchester United) 5 years ago
But he plays with ethic and has never giveup attitude
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
He is ok, but definetly not worth 47 million
I might have to say Hesky, but only from an English NT starting role, why on earth is he starting over Defoe?

Hmmm.... In actual league play maybe Ballack? And from a ManU perspective I think Nani is way overrated, but I don't think the rest of the league really thinks that much of him anyway
Yeah, I would maybe have to say Heskey aswell. Fabio Capello normally only starts him to see what he can do. Jermain Defoe is alot better at the moment and Heskey's time is coming soon to hang up his boots in the industry of a career of football. I think Fabio Capello thinks he is a good player but soon he's going to realise that he doesn't do anything with the ball and Rooney can't play with him
I am glad someone pointed this out. Heskey, in the International scene, should never start in front of Defoe. Defoe is so clinical in front of goal and in the World cup that is what we need more than wasted chances. There will not be a second chance in South Africa!
Salt (Aston Villa) 5 years ago
Heskey is a different player to Defoe and does a job that Defoe simply couldn't do. That's why he's picked every time. Defoe is not a starter in Capello's eyes. And Rooney has scored 9 goals in this qualification campaign. That would suggest that he can play with Heskey
Heskey is in the starting 11 simply because of his physical play and size. You have to have the big man up front to wear down the defence before you bring on the quick, agile player in Defoe. Jermaine's scoring record could actually be attributed to that fact, not to say that he doesn't have great finishing though. 2 smaller players up top is not a good strategy for England
Exactly, Zach. Heskey is there to wear down defences and Defoe is a superb "impact" player at the moment. Plus, if we've won every qualifier, why would anyone want to mess about with the starting 11?!?!
I gotta' agree Heskey there, he does not even get a starting 11 in Aston Villa as striker and mostly waiting for his turn before Carew and Gabby, yet he is England's starting 11 striker.

Disagree with Ballack and Nani part, Ballack is physically strong and bulky, his strength is mostly whose defenders scared of and he is superb in air. His header is strong, maybe he mostly plays in midfield that didn't showed the brilliant heading of his. He is good at long shots and the power is magnificent. The only thing he needs to improve is most of his passing and such. Gets intercepted often.

Nani is another kind of hardworking winger, he is a right-footer but he plays on the left wing often. His free-kick taking is superb. He is mostly recognised as the next Ronaldo due to the style of play, he is fast and dribbles well, he is good in free kick and good in long shots, his finishing is not bad either
Nani's ball control and distribution is horrible though. And as much as I'd like to see him succeed at OT, I don't see it happening on current form. He loses possession twice as much as he gets the cross in and that's not good for a player of his perceived quality
But you can see he has already made some progress during this season. The first team games are going to help him.

Zach ball control horrible? I was thinking the opposite. But yea his distribution is s**t! Holds onto the ball to long and when he does get rid of it its usually a s**t pass
IMO capello should be startingC. Cole up front with rooney, he can do the job heskey does but holds the ball up better, has better vision & control. Even though I a spurs fan I have to say defoe should be a sub purley because rooney has to start. If we didn't have rooney I tihkn it would be cole & defoe starting every gae up front
Sam (Juventus) 5 years ago
Totally agree on the Heskey situation.... Not sure how he can start for England and doesn't even get the starting nod at his own club.... He is physical and bulky, but in his case that usually translates to frequent loss of possession, poor finishing for the most part and a lazy attitude on the field...
Ashley Cole. Why on earth people consider him the best left-back in the Premiership is beyond me. He's terrible. I'd be a better left-back. Alright, maybe not. But you get my point
Totally disagree
I agree with you.... He is certainly overratted but not terrible tooo. Just adescent player
Buddy (Arsenal) 5 years ago
He is the best in the world at present and I'm a arsenal fan name me a better one
Philipp Lahm. See, I win. Even if I'd have said Patrice Evra, Gael Clichy, Joan Capdevila, Yuri Zhirkov, Gianluca Zambrotta or Marcelo (to name but a few), I'd still have won
Evra is definitely better but Cashley is still a very decent player. Contributes alot in attack but not the best all around, similar to Glenn Johnson
Technique (Liverpool) 5 years ago
He WAS the best in the world. He was awesome with Arsenal, especially in the ways he would attack and move up, as Glen Johnson does at the moment. But the year he moved to Chelsea he was horrible (to his standards), and that's not just from me, but from commentators and analysts. He definitely is better now, but I still think his Arsenal days were his better days
He's in great form currently with 2 premier league goals in his last 3
Over-rated? Slightly.... Crap? Definately not!
SirhCRocks (Chelsea) 5 years ago
In my opinion, he is still best full back in the world. He man marked ronaldo every time they faced each other and in all those games, ronaldo only scored one goal, a header on the opposite side of the pitch from cashley in the champs league final. Isn't ronaldo the best in the world?
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Adebayor, he fails a lot of chances of scoring
Adebayor is doing really well this season though, so far. I would go out on a limb and say that he's doing exceptionally well considering the fact that he has a lot of scorers around him. He's really molded into City's concept fairly easily in my opinion
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 5 years ago
I sai that because I'm based in the last season for me is to early an in arsenal he fail a lot of chances last season
True most definitely for last season. Luckily, Arsenal made a great signing by picking up Arshavin, and it turns out that the Gunners are actually better off without Ade
Adebayor is soooo overated had soooo many chances at arsenal and hit the target probly 1 in 3. Had one good season when henry. Left second 2 ronaldo top scorer his valuation went up about 30mil happy he is gone but now in good form will probly fade out by next season
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Hate to say it since he plays for my blues, but nicolas anelka. Love having him on our team, but he has been quite overrated by many over the past two seasons
Lol He won the "Golden Boot" last season. I wouldn't call that overrated in my opinion
He is the league topscorer so IMO he is not atall overratted
I thought he was overrated when he arrived at Chelsea from Bolton but he is a constant goal-scorer.... As much as I hate to say it
No doubt he is a top scorer but lets not forget how many chances he missed last season. He had some of the greatest service in england and he just couldn't put alot of things away that he should have. No doubt he's a fantastic stirker (I'm a chelsea fan for heaven's sake, there is no disputing that) but he just isn't as good as many people say he is
Yeah I see where you are coming from now. Even though he hasn't scored nearly as much as he did last season so far, I think he's playing better within the team, compared to last year how he got most of his goals off of individual effort and talent. The diamond system really seems to be working well now. Drogba gets to be by himself up front and Anelka can work the wings as much as he wants
Anelka is a clinical finisher, a lot of composure during 1 on 1 situation. Look how many goals he gets during 1 on 1 situations!
Yeah and Anelka is very deceivingly quick, something that you don't really notice unless he pushing down the wings
True he is quick and fantastic with one on one situations, his first touch lets him down at times and he's inconsistant with his dribbling
No doubt Peter Crouch is too over rated. He bring good height in the box, but that is about as far as it gets. His legs are like spaghetti when he tries to run and he rarely scores a good goal
I agree, Crouch dosn't seem to use his hight to an advantage much either...
For a big man, Crouch actually has outstanding touch...

That was pure footy sexiness. And from what I've seen this season, Crouch has already scored a header or two, so he seems to be taking advantage of his height now
Agree that Crouch is overrated. He is tall but I have to say he is not that good in heading, he is just good at tapping headers in, that made him the header player of last season (8 header goals in Portsmouth)
What?! I guess I'm blinded by the fog of bias because I'm 6'3" lol
Hahaha Yea I have to say crouch is overrated mostly good for headers because of his height and he's even not really go on the head either. Plus I get tired of his pathetic bicycle attempts
Haha.... His bicycle attempts are what make him entertaining. Fair enough he has scored like that in the past but seeing him try it over again is too funny. That video shows some great skill, no doubt, but you will never see a compilation on Crouch dribbling like you do with other players. He just doesn't have it in him
I'm gonna' protect Crouch and say, he's neither under or over-rated....
He's dominant in the air, can pull off acrobatics and is a good team-player, I don't see what's so over-rated about him....
Ossie (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I agree with you on that. It seems that once a team aquires him after a transfer their all excited that they got him. But then they start to notice that he's not that great and get disapointed with him. He's got the height in the box yes, but that's about it
I know he moved away from the Premiership the season before last, but I never get tired of taking the mickey out of John Arne Riise. That guy is the worst player I have ever seen, and honestly, he's an embarrassment to his Norwegian brethren, of which I am one. Case in point: own goal @ Barca, Champions League quarterfinal...
Agree. His defending is a nightmare to Liverpool and a dream to the opponent team. But he takes free kick well and has a brilliant power during shots
Not great defensively but the power he possess in his left foot is epic. The guy is deadly from set pieces...

Can't agree with risse.... Man he's awesome!
Can't agree with risse.... Man he's awesome!
Remember the own goal vs chelsea? Haha me and my friends nicknamed him fail after that one
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
He is doing well for roma
In terms of current players, there's a lot of overrated footballers in the Premiership right now. Nicklas Bendtner, Ashley Young, Titus Bramble (he's overrated even though everyone already knows he's crap), the aforementioned Heskey, Michael Owen (so wrong.... Why, United, why....).... It goes on. But the most overrated player for me would have to be Michael Ballack. My God, all he does is take up space, make occasional three-yard passes, mistime tackles, and completely lose the plot at least once a week on some unfortunate referee with no ties whatsoever to Ovrebo (the guy who got one over on Chelski in the champions league semifinals). That guy is a ****ing nutter...
Bendtner really was no where to be found last season, so yeah he was definitely not living up to his potential. This year however he's really been making good plays and showing off speed I never knew he had lol and he's shown off some quality one-on-one moves. Also, I really don't think Ashley Young is overrated, it's just that Agbonlahor benefits more from their partnership than Young does
I don't think ballack is overrated he simply has a reputation as one of the worlds best (he was once upon a time one of the worlds best midfielders believe it or not) and therefore he has expectationslaid upon him that he simply cannot satisfy anymore
Bendtner is improving dude, he does great in recent games and convinces Wenger to include him in starting line-up.

How can you say Young is overrated? He is one of the most underrated players right now. He is brilliant in winger position, versatile that he could play both right and left winger. Free kick taker, very fast, passing brilliant, what more can you ask?

Bramble is not overrated, nobody even hardly knows him and you saying he is overrated? He is really a good tackler and reacts fast to loose balls. I don't know why you say him overrated, I think maybe you just look at the goals that Wigan conceded, you didn't watch his game right.
If anything I think bendtner is underrated. He's so young and yet he plays very well. Sure he messes up some times but lets not forget that he doesn't have the most experience in the world
Don't forget that Ashley Young also takes PK's as well!
Yeah, but I think Milner took over for the penalty-taking since Ashley missed one against Rapid in Europa League that caused Villa the game
Every since Kafla's thread. Notice there is more and more overrated players thread going on....

How come no one talks on underrated players? Hmm....
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
No offense to you English folk but all the English players are overrated. Gerrard, Rooney, Terry, Ferdinand, the list goes on. Not to say they aren't world class but if you would believe the English media, you would think they were the best ever in their positions. Of course they are great players, my argument is that they are overrated.

It's like saying (for those into American sports) that Kobe Bryant (my fav bball player) is the next Michael Jordan. He is the best player in the league (or was debatable now since Lebron) but he is still overrated in the sense that he is no Michael Jordan. Same with the English players, they are great, world class players but not as good as people make you think them to believe and some might not even be good at all.

The only player I think is not overrated is Lampard who might even be underrated compared to the likes of Rooney and Gerrard. He is the only one I respect and admire and I believe he is the best English player at the moment
Can't imagine a gooner saluting their rival's player in this manner. But true. Most english internationals are in one way or another overhyped
Well if your talking about me giving respect to Lampard it's because he seems like a genuinely nice person and a good man. He doesn't dive, he doesn't say anything idiotic, he plays hard and works tirelessly for the team and he plays the game the right way. Also, the radio interview on LBC radio gave him more respect. He's the only English international I like and him and Essien are the only Chelsea players I like or don't hate
True, the best thing about lampard is his work ethic. I agree with almost everything else you said except I don't think joe cole, owen heargreaves (though he is technically canadian) or defoe are overrated
Isn't Lampard one of Chelsea's all-time top goalscorers now? From midfield?! I don't think the man can ever be classed as over-rated. He's achieved a hell of a lot in the game and I think the respect he gets is justified
Well Blueskiesahead, I meant the mainstream English superstars. Joe Cole, Hargreaves are hard to analyze because they have been out for quite a while and haven't been talked about much lately as in terms of football besides injuries and Defoe isn't overrated but he isn't the first English player you think about when someone asks for the name of an English superstar. Defoe is clearly a quality striker but I think he is in the form of his life right now
How can English players be overrated? You gotta' be kidding me. Gerrard is the most influential guy in the Liverpool team and his goal scoring rate is massive too. Lampard is one of the best passer and long-shooter out there. Ferdinand and Terry are both solid defenders, good in the air, tackling is great, bulky body is their advantage
1st of all. You didn't read my post thoroughly as I said Lampard isn't overrated but I gave my explanation loud and clear on the original post.

Terry isn't as good as you all think he is. Gets found out by quality attackers, only because he has Carvalho and Essien to help him out makes him look good. He is a good player and leader but not as good as people say he is. Ferdinand is a great defender as well but Vidic is better.

Gerrard is also isn't as good as people say he is, sure he comes up with vital goals and leadership, but he isn't as influential in the game as other midfielders.... He just comes up with moments of brilliance, not a complete dominant display, just moments.

Also, just because someone can shoot from distance doesn't mean he's good, look at Hitzlesperger or Ballack and such.... They can shoot from range but are not that great players and most of Lampards goals are deflected so it isn't even a clean hit
Technique (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Agreed
Ok I do agree that most english players are overrated. Terry, ferdinand, johnson, you name it I think they're overrated. I just put down those names for the sake of debate
[account-removed] 5 years ago
Sorry mate but that's garbage, Gerrard has been influential for Liverpool for a while now and I've seen my fair share of his games.... Let me tell you that Gerrard is one of the best players in the world right now, let alone England. How can you say that most of lamp's goals are deflected?!
Honestly, yes gerrard does great for liverpool, but he's rubbish for england lately (though he has had his good games). There's no disputing that he is a great player, one of the best in the world, but many people do hype him up to be more than what he is and as such is overrated
Agrees with what Blueskiesahead has put forth. Seriously put, these guys are that famous and that godly good is because of over-hyped media and managers. Not that they are not quality players. They are just not the world beaters they claim to be
Nandotorres, that's how I see things. Gerrard is a great player, don't get me wrong, but he disappears alot in games and if it wasn't for his leadership and last second goals people would talk way less about him.

Also, every goal Lampard scores is deflected in some shape or another. Look up videos of his goals from each season and I can assure you you will be surprised how many goals he scores are deflected besides penalties obviously
Yeah, most of the Lampard's goal are deflected but, it's clever that he aim on defender to deflect it into the net, his long shot is mostly an pitch drilling (which means his shot mostly does not go in the air, where it is mostly on the ground) so, it's easy for defenders to see the drilling ball and try to stop it, but the power is way too much and it deflects into the net
Agreed, I'm not trying to take anything away from him, goals are goals no matter how they are scored. I'm just stating something about Lampard that I see when he plays, obviously by my posts, I rate him alot, one of my favorite players
DiegoFC (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
I don't think all english players are over rated but I can't help but notice that no english player has ever won player of the year
Fceddie (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Very true, and its because english teams rely to much on ther foreign players
Saint Ickle Stevie MoTM! Gerrard is the most overrated player in the world, mainly because he is idolized by most pool supporters as one of the best to ever wear a liverpool shirt, and thus (since liverpool are, according to their supporters, the best team in the history of football) one of the best to ever don a pair a cleats and kick a ball. Sure he has some great goals, but he is one of the worst divers i've ever seen. Case in point:

Alfaz (Manchester United) 5 years ago
110% agreed with you man....  

Kick4Life - changing lives through football