Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Most Interesting Story-lines Of The 11/12 Season
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
I thought that it would be a nice idea to make a thread about things to look out for in the coming season. This can be anything such as the transfer of a player and if he makes or breaks it. Pretty much anything will do except for transfer rumours as I think everyone is sick of them.

For me my quick list of story-lines will be:

Mourinho and Madrid: Mourinho has been promoted to a position of great power with Madrid and it is going to be his second season in charge. He always says that the second season is where the magic happens and it will be interesting how he will be approaching this season and how he will look to face Barcelona and the Champions League.

Luis Enrique and Roma: This season DiBenedetto and his consortium took over Roma and have entrusted the club with former Barcelona be coach Luis Enrique. Luis Enrique looks to bring his attacking brand of football to Italy with him and so far the club has helped him by bringing in some great talent. The additions of Stekelenberg, Lamela, Jose Angel, Bojan to a strong squad with De Rossi at its heart makes for a young and talented squad and it will be Enrique's job to unlock the potential of the young players and to help these Italian minds adapt to a considerably different playing style.

Andre Villas-Boas and Chelsea: I've talked about 2 coaches already and AVB will definitely be a headline we will see for the next season. Villas-Boas has the coldest seat in the football managing world, other than Mourinho there hasn't been a coach who has been able to warm the manager's seat and bring continued success. I think everyone will argue that Ancelotti's sacking was premature and that a 2nd place finish is far from bad.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of style AVB will bring. He played with an attacking style with Porto but Chelsea haven't moved much in the transfer market and it will be interesting if AVB can enforce his Porto style with the players available to him at an aging Chelsea squad.

Fernando Torres: It is only natural that we talk about Torres after talking about Chelsea. After only scoring a single goal in the second half of the season the pressure is on Torres to improve his form. So far his 50 million pound price tag has inevitably labelled him a flop and comparisons to Shevchenko. It might be premature to call this his sink or swim season but it will definitely be a vital season for his career. If he continues his terrible form we can very well see him losing his spot in the Spain squad and missing Euro 2012.

Naturally after Torres we should talk about Liverpool. Since Dalglish took over Liverpool have returned to their best and will surely fight for a top 4 spot. They haven't been busy in the transfer window but have definitely created a team which is able to regain their spot among Europes elite. A huge question for next season will definitely be who will be be the top 4 next season.

The last one which I am going to talk about is the La Liga team Malaga based out of Andalusia. It has been a year since the club was purchased by Qatari's. They started off last season extremely poorly but ended up sacking their manager and signing former Real Madrid and Villarreal manager Manuel Pelligrini. Since the end of the season Malaga have been extremely busy in the transfer window and has signed numerous players such as Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Toulalan, Mathijsen, Santi Cazorla and promising Argentine playmaker Diego Buonanotte. Unlike Man City, Malaga haven't been signing every big name player out there, they have been fairly strategic in the transfer window and have strengthened the club without having to fill the bench with numerous forwards

So guys what are your stories to watch for next season?
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Our CEO Ron Gourlay has confirmed two signings will be made in the next week so hopefully its Moutinho and Juan Mata (doubt the last one)
Are you guys still in for any of the Porto trident?

Mata is a weird case. Apparently he is close to Arsenal one day then is staying the next. I hope he stays with Valencia though. He can accomplish the same things in Valencia as he can with Arsenal.... Pretty much nothing
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Nice TBS good little article, I dig. Naturally I will be following the progress of Liverpool it should be an amazing ride. I believe we have what it takes to win the division this year, but potential is wholly different than getting a good result week in week out. It will be interesting with so many clubs challenging for the top four spots, and mid table clubs being so strong, to see how many points will win the league. This season no doubt will be a grind and there are many teams looking very capable. United are probably favorites, but I am really hoping we can break our duck and get to 19, we have been waiting long enough haha.

Another one I will be following is if Barcelona can repeat in the Champions League. It has never been done since it's been called the champions league and obviously it's very challenging to do. But they certainly look like an absolute force in European football and just a joy to watch. They aren't unbeatable though, will be interesting to see play out. Perhaps if circumstances were different and volcanoes in Iceland hadn't exploded they may have already done it, but to quote Bruce Lee "to hell with circumstance" haha. This is there chance for sure, so many great clubs in Europe.... They are heads and shoulders above em all at the moment
Thanks for the kind words

I am looking forward to Barca's season of course. It will be nice to see how the team can improve on another successful season. Consecutive Champions League victories would be nice and the press are already trying to make a story out of it because they are conveniently playing a final at Allianz Arena tomorrow for the Audi Cup.

Anyways winning a second champions league title would do wonders for Barca to cement its place among Europe and I think many people will be hoping for Barca to fail. It will be interesting how Barca handle to increasing mental pressure and fatigue put on them season after season. With Mourinho it just gets worse and worse too
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Things that make me desperate to time travel and see:

- How Ibra with his new samurai hairdo would do in the champions league
- Who would be the starters in LFC's mifield
- How badly I'd cringe at the sight of Pirlo in Bianconeri colors
- The imminent Totti vs Baldini
- Cisse and Klose in the Serie A!
- Wenger's excuses
- Teams facing Barcelona after the group stages
- Inter's funny 3-4-3 formation in action(especially can't wait for the Derby della madoninna)
- Jovetic in action
Another interesting story to follow has got to be Mario Baloteli as well. He is in a danger zone with his behavior which has seen him fall out with Mourinho and now Mancini seems to be losing his patience.

Ever since there has been talent there has always been a waste of talent and it happens all too often in football. Will Baloteli go down that road?
Agree with everything you posted AND I'd personally like to see how PSG's tale pans out
They've got Pastore now as well. Yes, that same Pastore who was being chased by Milan, Chelsea and Inter.
Leonardo is one hell of a sporting director, I must duly admit
Silly me I forgot all about PSG who is undergoing the same transformation as Malaga. Just my La Liga goggles on in that one.

Did they really get Pastore? Last I checked he was closest to Chelsea. Chelsea should really fight for Pastore though. You aren't going to find a creative player his size around for a long time and they better dish the cash out now
It's not official yet, but I believe it'll be made official tomorrow
Not really mate, it could go either way. His reps are in London atm, and according to Zamparini (Am I honestly quoting him?) the PSG s**t is made up. I still call us favourites but PSG seem more willing to out-spend us
Sorry Ayyam

Zamparini : “As of Friday evening, at around midnight, we concluded the negotiation process.Pastore’s sale to PSG is practically official for €43m."

Link: www.football-italia.net/jul30i.html
I was just about to say that and come here. Touche
-that awkward moment when you realise that Chelsea have been outbidded by a French side-
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
More awkward for them, they fell into Zamparini's trap
JestaYNWA (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I'm looking forward to some good competitions in the Premier League. For example,

-Dalglish vs Ferguson

-Wenger vs the media (asking questions about Arsenal's transfer policy)

-Swansea vs Norwich vs QPR in a battle to see which newly promoted club starts really well then drops off, which will start slowly but finish mid table and the unlucky third that struggles to get off the bottom.

-Torres vs Dzeko, who will be the first to shake off that "expensive flop" tag (with a possible guest appearance from Aguero)

-Balotelli vs common sense and maturity

-Adam vs Aquilani vs Gerrard vs Lucas vs Henderson vs Poulsen vs Meireles vs Spearing vs Shelvey to see will actually get a game on a regular basis.

And finally

-Villas-Boas vs Abramovich in the fight to keep his job.

I personally can't wait for it all
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Another interesting thing to watch out for is:

1: The argument for video technology in football. This will probably be an extremely long battle and it will take a lot for either side to win. This season and especially Euro 2012 will be a major event in the decision of video technology.

2: The struggle for top clubs to stay on top. Skill wise the top clubs will most certainly stay on top. This one will be a pure financial battle. There isn't really anything that can happen during the season which can really change any of this. I expect bigger clubs to be offloading dead/aging weight in the winter window and predict a slow winter transfer market. We will also be seeing a game of chicken between the big European powerhouses and UEFA and see if UEFA has the guts to expel a club from the champions league especially after threats from numerous big clubs to separate from UEFA and FIFA to form their own elite league in which they have more power over schedules, funding and international duties
Dgrant117 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
UEFA Champion's League and English Premier League is always full of surprises.... Can't wait for them lol They may be huge
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
We may be in for an early surprise with Arsenal vs Udinese. Udinese lost 3 key players though so it will be interesting how they will bounce back

Kick4Life - changing lives through football