Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Manchester United Formation And Starting XI
JustGary (Manchester United) 4 years ago
When compared to some other teams on a man to man basis, Manchester United's starting XI is often not always the strongest but their has been a tradition of great teamwork and in recent years a strong squad. Each player in the squad brings a slightly different mix of strengths and limitations. Matching these player strengths and limitations to the formation and tactics being played can often be the difference that gives a winning advantage. My fundamental belief is in the potency of our attack which at its best has a dynamic tempo, regular width, incisive player movement and the support of full-backs. In short, its damn good to watch and so I would prefer that we (United that is) always BACK attack in the combination of our player selection and formations.

1. Home matches in domestic league and cups 4-4-2

------------------------vds-------------------------

---Rafael----Vidic----Ferdinand----Evra---

---Valencia----Scholes----Fletcher----Nani---

--------------Berbatov--Rooney---------------

A. Sub for Scholes being Giggs or Carrick in that order
Be. Sub for Berbatov being Rooney switching and Hernandez as point man

2. Matches against top four domestic teams and champions league matches 4-2-3-1

Although SAF often likes to play 4-5-1 in champions league, I think United have a challenge to play this formation effectively with the current lineup of midfield players. The middle three of the five midfielders often have difficulty getting into the box leaving Rooney (up front) isolated. All of the formations/options below are based on the fact that 1) United's most attacking, mobile box-to-box player, as well as a very good passer is Rooney (he's had box-to-box roles before to accommodate [C.] Ronaldo but he was often in a wider rather than central position). 2) The assumption that Berbatov's control, composure, strength and ability to hold the ball up and lay it off will make him a good target man. So here it goes - something a bit different - don't laugh too hard. Look forward to seeing other starting XI and formation combinations.

-----------Fletcher-------Scholes-----------

-----Valencia------Rooney------Giggs-------

-----------------Berbatov------------------

A. Sub for Berbatov being Hernandez

OR

----------Fletcher-------Scholes/Giggs/Carrick

-----Valencia------Rooney------Nani

---------------Berbatov--------------

AND

3. If we must play 4-5-1

--Valencia--Park--Rooney--Fletcher--Giggs---

-----------------Berbatov-------------------

Hmmm!?
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I just don't like rooney as a mid or attacking mid or even a second striker. And of course I don't see rooney as a target player like berbatov/drogba. IMO he works best in a 4-4-2 position. But I think that united need to play a better defensive formation when they play strong teams like chelsea b/c chelsea plays with 3 up top and united will need more defensive cover.
Now that I think about it, I guess rooney has always play as a second striker. Behind berbatov in united and behind crouch and heskey for england. I would rather see someone play behind rooney, so I guess park behind rooney. Though- I don't think park is that creative enough to play behind rooney. He did well last season, lets see it again.

--rafael--vidic--ferdinand--erva--
-----------------------------------
--valencia--fletcher---scholes--nani
-------------park--------------------
------------------rooney----------

But again, berbatov has been playing well the pass couple of games
TohNahCan (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Has Rooney's latest performance for England changed your mind? He was very effective!
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Well, I never said he's not effective. I'm just saying he's more effective as a striker rather than behind a striker. It's like maradona playing messi as a provider instead of a right attacker
TohNahCan (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I was just reading Manchester United chat and was surprised to see all the comments on Rooney's position now that he has had a great game for England. Seems like you were spot on Gary - Rooney in a deeper position is now all the rage and the question is will he play that position for Utd?

My team though would be:
4-2-3-1

-------------------vds----------------------
--Neville/Rafael---Ferdinand---Vidic---Evra--
-----------Fletcher--------Scholes-----------
--Valencia---------Rooney--------Giggs/Nani--
-------------Berbatov/Hernandez--------------

And seeing as your putting in daring formations what about

3-5-2 Attacking:

------------------vds--------------------

----Smalling/Evans---Ferdinand---Vidic----

----------Fletcher--------Scholes---------
-Valencia----------------------------Nani-
-------------------Rooney-----------------

----------Berbatov--------Hernandez-------

I think this is a exciting attacking line up with either Fletcher or Scholes playing a defensive holding role depending which flank the attack is on and Rooney playing behind front two. I could also see a more defensive version with Evra and or Rafael coming in for Nani and or Valencia.

Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Interesting today with Everton with Rooney spared from the taunts of the public. Fortunately for United, Berba is in great form
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
How come valencia hasn't been playing?
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I can answer that after the Rangers game if you like - he was having a break
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Ant, you're bad. Lol
JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
My updated formation

This formation has a really strong midfield quartet.

------------------vds----------------------

Valencia-----Rooney----Andersom----Nani

----------Hernandez------Berbatov------------

Subs: Giggs(Obertan), O'Shea, Fletcher, Owen(Welbeck), Keeper

OR

------------------vds----------------------

--------------Fletcher-----------------

Valencia--Rooney----Andersom--Nani

------------Berbatov------------

Subs: Giggs(Obertan), O'Shea, Hernandez, Scholes(Cleverly), Keeper

Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Against teams in the league except Chelsea Liverpool Spurs Arsenal Manchester City
Van Der Saar

Rafael
Vidic
Ferdinand
Evra

Scholes
Park
Anderson

Nani
Berbatov
Rooney

Against the teams I mention earlier
Van Der Saar

Rafael
Vidic
Ferdinand
Evra

Nani
Scholes
Anderson
Park

Rooney
Berbatov

In the Champions League
Van Der Saar

Rafael
Vidic
Ferdinand
Evra

Fletcher
Scholes

Park
Anderson
Nani

Berbatov
JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Kimaway, the back four is solid but the formation lacks any width which is traditionally a strong point of Manchester United teams. Personally, I like to see attacks that use wingers
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I love the idea about rooney as an attacking midfielder
This is what I think we should go with after giggs, scholes, and van der sar retire

Kuszczak
Rafael evans vidiv evra
Fletcher
Valencia nani
Rooney
Berbatov hernandez

Subs- lindegaard, welbeck, anderson, cleverly, park, de laet, etc
Borg (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I really like this line-up and I think unfortunately there is a stigma about rooney that he HAS to play as a striker up top. Probably due to how many goals he scored last season and him playing there often in champions league. We should keep experimenting with rooney as an CAM behind the strikers especially since Valencia is injured and We aren't getting many good crosses into the box from nani or evra
How about this:

---------------------vds-----------------

---Rafael----Ferdinand----Vidic----Evra---

-------------Park-------Carrick----------

---Valencia-------Rooney----------Nani---

-----------------Berbatov----------------

Subs: hernandez for berba, rooney move up with berba for 442, scholes for rooney, giggs for nani, fletcher for valencia or park/carrick.
It's been talked about a little in the United page but what do you guys think about pushing evra up as a LW? Obviously nani is right footed and he has had trouble playing on the left side in the past. Now Valencia will be coming back soon and Obertan is a sub at best and giggs can't play a lot of games at wing now that he has gotten older and obviously has somewhat of a central role

Kick4Life - changing lives through football