Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Kenny Dalglish Squad Headaches
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
With the return of Gerrard from his injury soon enough, Kenny Dalglish is set to have major headaches about which is his best 11. Some people suggest a direct swap in midfield, Adam for Gerrard, but then you have to take into account that Adam has assisted 2 goals and scored one already this season. His delivery from free kicks and corners "are worth ten million alone" according to Sir Alex Ferguson. Some others suggest taking Henderson out, but again, he is whipping in fine crosses and even scored a great goal against Bolton.

My fear is that when Gerrard returns he will automatically get his first team place back and it will put a bit of a roadblock in the new look Liverpool team, that is just really starting to gel and get consistent results. The new players are really enjoying playing together and it's a pleasure to watch them.

I'm a big fan of Gerrard, but I think it comes from the nostalgia of him from a few seasons ago, banging in ten astonishing goals a year and assisting countless others. He really hasn't been the same lethal player in the last couple of years. The pace is gone somewhat and the shots just don't seem as accurate. My hope is that Dalglish can once again get the best from him but I also don't want the whole team structure to change to accommodate him. Who should be dropped? Adam? Lucas?

The current best attack in my opinion consists of Kuyt and Suarez. Both have huge work rates and Suarez is dangerous every time he gets the ball. When Carroll gets subbed on, the whole game plan changes to aimlessly booting the ball up to his head instead of playing to feet with quick one-two's and dangerous runs. I think when Gerrard is on the pitch, Carroll will be first choice striker just to suit Gerrards passing, and I don't like that idea.

So, my question is, if you were Kenny Dalglish, what would be your first choice team? Who gets dropped if Gerrard returns? Would we be a better team with him on the pitch?
Fowlerred23 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Here are my two preferred teams on the assumption of no injuries - either Gerrard in the hole behind the main striker I. E. As am/ss with Lucas shielding behind and Adam or Meireles providing the ammunition to the forward line; or Gerrard on the right providing the crossing and shooting (this is where he lined up in the epic FA Cup final performance vs. West Ham), with Meireles in the middle providing the link from midfield and attack

The first team line-up is structured in favour of getting the most out of Gerrard in his favourite position. The second line-up is getting the best player in each position - I think Gerrard is a better RM than Henderson, Kuyt or Maxi.

Reina
Kelly Carragher Agger Enrique
Lucas Adam/Meireles
Maxi/Hendo Gerrard Downing
Suarez

Reina
Kelly Carragher Agger Enrique
Gerrard Lucas Meireles Downing
Kuyt Suarez
[account-removed] 3 years ago
About your question "would we be a better team with him on the pitch? The answer is ofcourse YESS, we all know gerrard and know what he is able to do on the pitch for this team so I don't have any doubt on him but I agree that kenny just can't get rid of a player who maybe has already earned a place in the starting team so i've got to say the true I wouldn't like at all to be in kenny's feet because sincerely it is a very difficult decision but I think I can give my first team choice:

_______________________reina_____________________

Johnson_______carraguer_________agger______enrique

______________gerrard__________lucas______________

Henderson_____________adam___________________downing

_____________________suarez________________________

Ofcourse this is just one option of thousands
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Maybe Adam as the defensive mid and Gerrard as the attacker. Adam can still create something from the back with his long range passing
Fowlerred23 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Interesting that Kuyt often gets dropped probably as he is not the best RM of CF - I did the same pre-season on the assumption that Carroll - Suarez would be the best combination. On early season form however, and based on their interplay last season, I think Kuyt and Suarez are our best front two at the moment, but Gerrard could be a better option in either SS or RM roles. I think our best midfielders at the moment are Downing, Lucas, Meireles, Gerrard and then Maxi, Adam and Henderson
[account-removed] 3 years ago
_______________________reina_____________________

Johnson_______carraguer_________agger______enrique

______________Adam__________lucas______________

Henderson_____________Gerard___________________downing

_____________________suarez________________________

Some games i'll have him like that some games on the bench and get kuyt in his place as I think we will have to manage gerard abit better otherwise we might lose him for good
JestaYNWA (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Depends, if he is fit enough (is 100%) then he should definitely get a place in the team if not, just like any player, he may have to be on the bench. Stevie is great but we are no longer a one man team and therefore we don't need to rush him back
Tobes (Liverpool) 3 years ago

Gerrard shouldn't start until he is well past physically fit (no injury worry) and reaching top match fitness. If I was Dalglish I would definitely not be starting him as soon as he has medical clearance to play. We have the squad to cover his gradual return to the first team with appearances off the bench for the first 3-4 games. Gerrard is versatile enough to play what ever tactic Kenny is putting in place, but he like any other human will need time to gel as well. In saying that I think once he is reaching match fitness (probably early-mid October for Rivalry rounds against Everton & Mancs) he will be starting most games.
Ultimately I think Henderson is the man to loose his spot in the centre of park when Gerrard re-claims his first team spot, whether that means Dalglish puts Hendo in at RW with Kuyt on the bench or on the bench himself is another tough call. Henderson is still learning and who better to teach him than Gerrard.
Eventually (couple of years down the track) Henderson will start to push for that spot, but Gerrard is still the first option for this season and the not too distant future
Fernandez (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Play steven gerrard when he is 100% FIT

"With the return of Gerrard from his injury soon enough, Kenny Dalglish is set to have major headaches about which is his best 11. Some people suggest a direct swap in midfield, Adam for Gerrard, but then you have to take into account that Adam has assisted 2 goals and scored one already this season. His delivery from free kicks and corners "are worth ten million alone" according to Sir Alex Ferguson. Some others suggest taking Henderson out, but again, he is whipping in fine crosses and even scored a great goal against Bolton. "

Lmao, adam has 2 assist and one goal, I bet Gerrard would have done better if he was not injured and 100% fit. Adams corner is good but I have to say, Gerrard is a bit better in terms of LONG shots, defending, SET piece, finishing, dribbling, tackling, WORK HARD and maybe passing. Gerrards cross is just as good as any wingers out there.

"The current best attack in my opinion consists of Kuyt and Suarez. Both have huge work rates and Suarez is dangerous every time he gets the ball. When Carroll gets subbed on, the whole game plan changes to aimlessly booting the ball up to his head instead of playing to feet with quick one-two's and dangerous runs. I think when Gerrard is on the pitch, Carroll will be first choice striker just to suit Gerrards passing, and I don't like that idea. "

Gerrard is up there when it comes to work rates. I don't think Carroll will be partnered up with Gerrard, its most likely Gerrard+Suarez.... I mean I can safely say that Gerrard is a good striker, he might not be as good as suarez in striker position but remember Gerrard is not a striker.

"would Liverpool be a better team with Gerrard? "
Absolutely....

I would definitely drop Henderson or Adam, remember gerrard is our best midfielder.... I don't think anyone is going to disagree with me here. Gerrards passing is just as good as Adams, Gerrards crossing is just as good as hendo and downing, Gerrards shots are just as good. GErrards defending abilities and tackling. In terms of this, Gerrard will not only help our attacking force but will also help the midfield and help the defence.

My midfield when gerrard is 100% fit

-Kuyt-Gerrard-Lucas-Adam-Downing
-----------Suarez
Any midfielder in the world would be happy with 2 assists and a goal from three matches, I think
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
It's tough for Kenny to pick a team but that is a huge positive. It's good to have so much depth, especially in the midfield. First of all there is no sense bringing back Steven until he is absolutely 100% fit and ready to play. It's in his nature to want to get back to playing but I think Kenny will know when the time is right.

Steven Gerrard is a legend, absolute talisman of LFC, he will finish his career here and I think all Liverpool fans would have no other way. How many points has he rescued for us over the years, the man is a force, a true footballer. All this being said he has to earn his spot in the team, with his play not his reputation, but there is no doubt in my mind he will do this. The chemistry is good with the lads right now, I think Luis Suarez will benefit from having Gerrard more than anyone though. Someone to take the pressure off him, and shoulder some of the responsibility, he is the super captain and we know strikers love playing with him. They are both so world class I think in time they will be able to play with blindfolds on together. So he can play up top and support Luis, this would be awesome. Another of Gerrard's best qualities besides his leadership, heart, skill and all the rest is his versatility, he has all the tools. He can even play at right back brilliantly as witnessed in the 2005 champions league final in extra time. So really he can fit into the team pretty much anywhere, another plus for Dalglish. His tackling ability isn't what it used to be but he can still make a crunching tackle and knows how to stop an opposing attack. Still I like Gerrard to be used more offensively with all of our midfield and Lucas displaying such a talent for defensive midfielder. Some lineups that are a bit different, considering everyone is fit. Could be interesting and I like the sound of it but we have never really played a 4-3-3

Kelly---Carra----Agger----Enrique

Gerrard----Lucas-----Adam

Downing----Kuyt---Suarez

Or Henderson on the right and Gerrard in the center, but they would have more roaming roles, I like to attack clearly haha

Or

3-5-2

Kelly----Agger-----Enrique

-----Lucas--Adam-----

Kuyt-----Gerrard---Downing

-----Suarez--Carroll

These are not very realistic though, and this classic 4 4 2 I really like

Kelly----Carra----Agger-----Enrique

Kuyt----Lucas-----Adam----Downing

-----------Gerrard----
--------------Suarez----

Or 4 2 3 1

Johnson--Kelly----Agger----Enrique

-------Lucas-----Gerrard-----

Downing-----Kuyt----Suarez

---------Andy------

I have left out Hendo in all of these but I think he fits really well into a classic 4 4 2
And 4 2 3 1. Options is a good thing to have though, and Hendo, Adam, and Andy are all class signings in my opinion and have always thought so, there seems to be no question about Downing he is awesome. Henderson and Andy will take some time but they will really prove their worth and I really like them both.

So Stevie G can fit into any squad really, though he does have to make his way into the squad. And the team shouldn't be centered around any one player, but Gerrard makes the team better, that's why Zidane loves him so much as well as possessing every quality a player could want, so well rounded Steven. If it's not working out though, there is great players through the whole team and it will all work out, I trust Kenny so it is what it is
Another point.... Which of Agger, Carra, Skyrtl or Coates do you play in central defence (assuming Coates finalises the move)?

This might be another unpopular opinion, but as much as I love Carra for the heart and solid defence he brings to the team, I think he is struggling to play a full 90 mins against a top team. It was very likely his tiredness that lost us the clean sheet against Bolton, even though he was awesome for the rest of the game. Not so bad when you're winning 3-0 but if it was 1-1 against United and the same thing happened, we would have ended the game losing 2-1 because of him.

Do we keep Carra in the back four out of respect and loyalty to him or do we check which is our strongest defence? Note also Agger and Skyrtl have the ability to score goals
Jawn (Liverpool) 3 years ago
This is what I believe to be our strongest starting XI. Ignores injury or current status. Purely ideal squad. Subs would include at least Kelly and Meireles

Copied it without names to better see the position layout. Suarez and Downing feature slightly to the left rather than aligned. Kuyt gets more space because he can cover it, Suarez over to the left a bit because he cuts in better for shots IMO and Downing playing very wide left to cross or go tag-team with Suarez in the box when the play is on his side
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
That is a nifty thing there, I dig it. The lineup is good as well, I don't know if we'll play a 4 3 3 though, not really our style but it could be awesome. Our 4 3 3 are pretty similar but I would prefer Kelly over Johnson because I think he is better defending, although in the total football system it is good to have fullbacks who can attack and I think Johnson is better at getting forward. I also have the midfielders on the same side as their preferred foot with attackers opposite, but it's all good either way. The worry I have with the 4 3 3 is there is very little cover for the defence in midfield, and there is a lot of space. I don't know if Lucas, Gerrard and Adam can control the midfield well enough, Adam seems to give the ball away a lot in tight spaces and Lucas can be shaky at times. Gerrard as well doesn't have the technical feet of a Xavi or Iniesta. Which is a concern I had with mine as well, it could work though, and if it did it would be brilliant
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Personally I prefer a 4-4-2 over a 4-3-3. It gives you more width because among other things the wide forwards in a 4-3-3 have to worry about coming in to support. And when you have two strikers that's much less likely to be needed.

The problem is, is that Liverpool have so many good central midfielders. Both Adam and Gerrard when fully fit definitely deserve to start in my opinion, but that means Lucas and Henderson will be left out. Plus adam is mainly effective in the attacking position, which would force gerrard to play the more holding defensive position because he can play both.

So I think that either you should play with Adam and Gerrard like that, or you need to play 3 in the center like you have it above
I like the 4-3-3 formation but it does not fit Liverpool. I don't like the 4-4-2 formation but with downing and henderson out wide, they are so deadly. Liverpool's strength seems to be the speed and creativity from downing and henderson.... Also from Adam's long passes to the corner flag for the wingers to run onto.
Suarez is for sure starting over Carrol. I will be scare when Chelsea play Liverpool, Suarez is so skill and deadly and the wingers are so fast and deadly
Jawn (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I think 4-3-3 works for us, and that's similar to what we've been playing. We don't have to go traditional with wide wingers, and the midfield is never really a problem defensively. With Lucas and Adam playing centered and defensively guarding the 2nd third, and Gerrard lying deep almost as a 'midfield stopper' and provider, I think we cover well.

With wide fullbacks keeping the width in order and narrower midfielders in the gaps between defenders (and ahead of them, obviously) we create a nice 'safety 'vvv' net. Everyone can overlap eachother to some degree in this position, and Lucas/Adam can drop back while Stevie moves up in the attack to create somewhat of a 4-2-1-3 formation when we have possession and are going forward.

And on the note of preferred feet positioning for mids and fwds, I think both pairs (adam/lucas and downing/kuyt) would be swapping back and forth a lot. If adam is going to play long passes to Kuyt, I like him on the left, but he can also punt a nice one down to Downing after swapping with Lucas to give him (adam) better positioning for the pass
Here's an interesting Telegraph article discussing the Andy Carroll situation.

Link: www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool...

"The Scot must work out how to solve the Andy Carroll quandary. The striker, all £35m of him, had started both Liverpool’s draw with Sunderland and the victory at Arsenal, first alongside Luis Suárez and then alongside Dirk Kuyt. Here, it was his turn to miss out.
Of all three combinations, this worked best. Uruguayan and Dutchman provide endless intensity, affording a side built to the Scot’s energetic, pressing specifications the sharpest of edges."
Azeal (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Carragher, over the years he has been the heart of our defence, I think most of hardcore Liverpool fans will pick him in our starting XI by default; out of habit, loyalty, and adoration.

Should we play Wilson or Coates instead of Carragher? Yes, when they are ready, as for now, No. Especially on Wilson, I think he will be great in the future, but he doesn't look ready. We don't need another case of Flanagan (youngsters picked prematurely because we ran out of player), play them when they are ready. As for Skrtel, I don't think there is much difference between Carragher and Skrtel, I guess they will have to fight it out in trainings.

He is 33 years old and not getting any younger, but that doesn't matter; he still have the quality to compete, the spirit, and his experience surely worth a lot. Anyway, he still have something to offer, quality, leadership, and experience. I know some people prefer younger players simply because they are younger but in football you aim for quality and this man has got some.
I was thinking the exact same thing.... "what will happen to liverpool when Gerrard comes back? " here's a solution.... Sell gerrard to chelsea. It's either chelsea gets rid of torres or find someone to play with him and gerrard is the exact person to play behind torres. Liverpool does not need gerrard. Gerrard is a legend in liverpool (meaning he's history). Just messing. Gerrard should be happy he didn't leave Liverpool. Torres will regret leaving Liverpool. I love Chelsea, but they need work. Torres does not fit Chelsea, Chelsea needs to get rid of him. Stop working with Torres as the lone striker and start working with Lukaku, Drogba, or Sturridge as the lone striker.

---------------------Riena----------------
Kelly-----Carragher----------Agger------Enrique

Henderson----Adam----------Lucas------Downing--

-------------Gerrard--------------------
-----------------------Suarez
Error:
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Hmm. I like this thread. And it is going to be a massive headache. But I do not think Kenny Dalglish will be like that. I think he is trying to build a team. Not the past few seasons where we were just relying on Torres and Gerrard to get us points. I do not think Gerrard has the energy to play as the trequtista any more. I think if he comes back he will play in a deeper role. But His spot in the team is not automatic any more. He's amazing but before he got injured you could see he was not the same Gerrard. I think The team as from now on would be
Reina
Skrtel Carra Agger Enrique
Henderson Lucas Adam Downing
Kuyt Suarez
I think at the moment that is our best team. I agree with the person who made the thread about how we play when Carroll is on the pitch. And I have been stressing it in the Liverpool forum! I still do not think he has justified his price tag. And When Raul comes back. I think he should take Henderson spot. Then Kuyt plays on the wing and Raul as the CAM/Trequtista. But my real question is Johnson or Kelly

Kick4Life - changing lives through football