Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Juan Mata Better Or David Silva Better?
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Like most people said.... Silva is better b/c he got experiences over Mata. Mata will probably become just as good as Silva one day. But at the moment, Silva is better and I will love to have Silva at Chelsea. He is so calm with the ball with his touches and passing. Mata is quite similar to Silva when Mata do play as a Mid
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
I think that's not possible. RA not richer than Monsour...
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I know. I was just saying
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
It's pretty fun to see my opinion of almost 2 years ago (I mentioned Silva providing killer passes for Villa - who's been with Barça for more than a year now) and realize I still agree with myself, haha.

Silva is still quite a bit better, and has developed really well. If Del Bosque doesn't let him play with Spain more often, I don't know what he has to do to prove himself. Play in Spain again? Either way, both are now EPL stars, but Silva might be the best midfielder in all of England right now
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Definitely Silva at the moment in my opinion. He just controls the rhythym and the tempo of the game so well. Rarely does he lose the ball and he is positive in his movement and when he is on the ball. His touch is confident and effective, if not as beautiful as a player's like Zidane or Bergkamp. He has that Spanish passing ability though, always knows where the passing lane is. And he seems to have a great understanding with Nasri and Aguero this season. I thought he was City's best player last season and he seems to make them tick.

Mata is classy, maybe has a bit more pace, but he doesn't have the level of guile that Silva does. Mata is a couple years younger though and he can perhaps make just as big an impact as Silva. It will be difficult though because Silva is an amazing player
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Silva plays behind the striker nowadays as opposed to Mata who is a winger through and through. So I think it's hard to compare, but as a winger Mata has more pace, Silva has better vision and distribution for a CAM, Though Silva is a good winger I view him as a AM
What's MCFC's standard formation these days? Haven't been watching them much except for a couple of matches. Where do Silva slot in?
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
I agree with Duncan. Mata is excellent but Silva is a different class. Last season I thought Silva was quite similar to Modric but I now really think he's a level above with his vision and ability!
Would you still say that had Modric not tried to leave? LOL...
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
Yep...
Now, EPL having both the player involved in the topic, do anyone have any new opinions to share?

Right now, Silva seems almost becoming the soul of MCFC, whereas Mata looks like still finding his feet around
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
My opinion still hasn't changed, Silva is still easily the better player in my opinion
Ltm017 3 years ago
I say Silva. I honestly can't tell you what City would look like without him. Mata still has time
Ltm017 4 years ago
This is a hard one but I have to say if anything Mata has great speed on Silva.... Mata is just really good. I'm not going to say he is better than David Silva though but Silva is just an awesome player
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
When they were playing togethe Mata was playing better than Silva because Emery was playing him as a Foward. But when silva plays a as winger he is better even though silva get injured more than Mata
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Silva can improve more.... I think at WC 2010 he will show more than at Euro 2008! In my opinion David Silva can handle it better than Mata
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 4 years ago
I would go for silva havnt seen mata much but Silva prooved how good he was at euro 2008
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Silva definitely, he is more experienced. Obviously, Mata is a brilliant player and always plays well but Silva is a real playmaker and plays internationally for Spain. They are both highly rated though and should be but I say Silva
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Mata is a little over rated. The kid has skill but often I just see him run on the wings. Of course it helps his game but ill say he needs a lot more experience to compete with silva
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Agreed Silva is definitely the better player, but Mata is really someone to watch
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Difficult to say now; they're very similar players. Both have plenty of creativity on the pitch, both can do amazing stuff and they can both score as well. But for now I think it's David Silva. He's been doing very well this season so far, both scoring and providing (mainly providing Villa) goals
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Silva for me he has better technique and guile Mata certainly has the speed edge but both are still young and will mature. We will see who is better in a couple of years
Mata is just faster. His skill comes near to silvas skill but silva is still much much better. He is still very young so we shall see soon. At this moment silva is scoring more goals and is the dominant winger.... Even though he finds him self in the center forward position from time to time
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Right, I also feel that Silva able to switch to a forward role makes him more valuable to a team like Liverpool where without Torres the attack is almost blunt
Its true. He is very strong in that role. And I agree with what you say. Withought torres ; liverpool play preety poorly and other players just can't step it up. Silva could deffo perk things up. But the fact is Rafa is so keen on the players we have already, I can't imagine him buying some one big like Silva at this moment.

I have my money on him buying a total nobody in the january transfers
Agreed with the Silva deal here completely. But I heard you guys were after McGeady, that would be a good buy. Someone that can actually beat a player out there Your lacking a good winger, have been for a while
Urm I wouldnt like McGeady as for his Egotistic Ways. I'm actually happy with kuyt and Riera for the moment. We need some one who can play in the central postition, silva could work. Also we need a new Center Back. (Simon Krijic or whatever his name is) would work
Ah he's not that bad.... But I do think you need a new winger in for kuyt, he works tirelessly out there, but he's no winger. Silva would be great out there, putting crosses into torres, him nodding them back for Gerrard to slam home.

Oh and you spelled "egoistic" wrong
Riera has not been the same player he was last season. Silva can easially replace him
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Silva, mata are really very good. They have different roles. Silva is a true winger like Pablo Hernandez. Mata he plays as playmaker or second striker. It is therefore difficult to compare. I really like the style of mata
Mata is more like Ronaldo style. Fast Dribbling, where as Silva is more Kaka Style, Smart, brilliant passing and good at being in the right place at the right time
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Yeah, I would agree, but Mata doesn't have the arsenal of tricks that Ronaldo possess
Haha manuk you give kaka a lot of credit. I prefferd him at AC milan. Where he was a some body. Ofcourse he is still an awesome player, I just don't see him working at madrid. I mean the Real Zarazoga game showed us how much better Van Der Vart Plays in that position
True Kaka is more of a freely moving player I'd say. I think Madrid should have kept their dutch players. They where great. (Robben, and Sneijder). Aggh D: rich people
Yes but there dreams of obtaining every top class player in the world is sickining. I heard Gago and such players are in deep Depresson becouse of madrid
I know, They destroy players that aren't the worlds best. Then they offload them heartlessly
Yeah I couldn't have said it better myself. Robben was good at chelsea. But the relationship with jose was obscene so he left. He should have went straight for inter milan or maybe bayern. I don't believe its right what real do. But then again this is football.... They get paid millions for our pleasure
Well Fifa haven't really made any "Laws" about Heartlessness. Yea and even when Robben did do well at madrid. Last Season he was the star of the team scoring goals and creating chances left and right, and yet they still sent him packing. Yep, this is football
You Remember Podolski. At one moment one of the best strikers in the wold. Bayern hard to Conflict on that
Oh and guess where Robben went? Bayern's record is terrible
Atleast he gets played. I think he won't have trouble with that. Antlitop or Prajnic can't Compete with he's speed and skill I and the game
Yes, it's mostly a striker problem there
Haules (Chelsea) 4 years ago
They are both good players, but I think Silva has a slightly advantage in front of Mata. He is more experienced, can play as a central middlefielder. You won`t see Mata in Spain`s squad will Iniesta is not injured
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I have never seen much of both the players but up to my knowledge Silva is a bit better than Mata as he is more experianced. But both of them are highly skilled and talented.
In liverpool point of view I think Mata will be better as he is quite affordable than Silva!
Mata is a also younger than Silva which is also a better thing. Hope we'll get anyone of them
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Mata is younger than Silva and has much to learn but at his age he is one of the best youngsters in the world

Kick4Life - changing lives through football