Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is The Footytube Forum Dying?
3 years ago
Maybe its just me, but the changes I've seen in these forums over the last year has been very obvious.

1) A 10x increase in the number of trolls
2) Less input from the admins, who, before, would answer queries every day. Now we're lucky if its once a week
3) Less intelligent input from users, and more "x is better than y" type questions
4) Good Mods hounded out of the forums by trolls, thereby inviting a Laissez Faire style of forum
5) Fewer users generally
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
I have to agree with you, and number 6.) New things from footytube are never going to come
I heard that they were going to make footy music? Something like that, but there is no sigh of it. Nothing...
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 3 years ago
I kinda agree with you but the issue I think personally is that there are not so many good topics to debate created offtopic is still active but the subjects in The Stands and The Terraces' just are not that interesting *sorry anyone*

I think subjects that are interesting, relevant and debatable are a bit weak atm dunno if there really is anyone to blame.... That's just the way it is
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Well, lets make this a positive topic for suggestions. I agree that there is a difference now to say, this time last year, but the point should be not to list the negatives but to try to work towards the positives
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Three Things

1. To me it seems like a lot people got fed up with footytube (in one way or another) and left. It may have started somewhat of a depression.

2. The admins are gone from making regular posts, site updates, and even answering questions very much. They just aren't around for whatever reason and even I feel slightly abandoned D:

3. There may simply not be as many topics to start, everything I seem to think of has already been posted. We've been reduced to new events that just started which there are less of.

I would think these things probably contributed. But We shouldn't sit around and lament though - I agree with Ant we should make a thread and come up with some idea's to give us a jump start
"I agree with Ant we should make a thread and come up with some idea's to give us a jump start".... Whaaa? Would you like to lead the way? You have been here form almost the start and are a user.... You should be the main idea guy
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Agree with you there
I dunno what I would say lol, I'll post if I come up with any ideas to help
I totally agree the number of topics has fallen and the topics have become less interesting
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
It is kinda dead, these days the team pages are more fun to talk in. I dunno, I guess people got lives outside footytube to live

footytube FTW!
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Ya I miss the olden days when you would post a comment on a topic and immediately someone would comment on it, there was a lot of energy about footytube back then, a lot of passion. But all those old topics are still around someone just needs to revive them.

There were far less users, and there was nothing like dreamfooty, so people would go on the forums when they came on the site and talk about cool intriguing subjects, I think some of that simplicity in the expansion of the site. I think there are still some very cool topics, but there just isn't that intimacy and urgency to make your point heard. For instance Liam your unofficial prediction league is awesome, that didn't exist a year or two ago(sorry I dropped out, I have a limit to our internet capacity at my house, and we were almost over the limit, got to share the wealth too, lot of time spent looking at fixtures and coming up with predictions and what not, excuses though are weak).

Ant's idea is great. Some topics I thought were cool were about the modernization and industrialization of football. I think they were called the death of football 2010/11 and there was another, I made a more optimistic point, in the future of football about how even with all this going on, millions upon millions of pounds for players that may sit on the bench(King Kenny's transfer fee was 400, 000 pounds in 1977 a record fee) there are still kids and many other people that play just because they love the game.

Another one I thought would be good is very simple, why you love football the forum topic, instead of the video contest. There may already be a topic about it, it could be revived
I did some searching through the forums and I found some really good topics that were made awhile ago. I think because most people only take a look at what's on the first page and not the others is why those good debates aren't being revived. And it also contributes to the number of locked topics
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Perhaps a link that shows most popular threads or something?
Yea that would kinda be good if you guys could put something like that
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Hmmm, i've never thought about this before, but now that you bring it up, I think you have touched on something true here.
It probably has to do with the site growing, and some people i've seen have just joined for the dreamfooty, and don't really make great contributions to posts.
Your point about trolling is exactly true, the troll ratio has definitely increase. I even begin to miss the prostyle-type-trolls who, though annoying, at least tried to debate.
Now it seems like some people just invent accounts to troll.
But there's also a good point about that sometimes topics get old. You can only ask "who's you favorite player" or "what's the best team all time" so many times.
But then again, there's still a good group of users who still contribute good posts
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
I noticed it too, although I have been more active in the recent months compared to a year ago. So I did not live through the days of plenty.

But during the recent months there is some tendency of short threads, lack of participation.

In some ways it is human nature. Take Netnerd's league for example. It is a great addition and now, more than 20 people are participating. High 20s? Anyway. Now even there, you have 5 or 6 who comment often, but the rest are more withdrawn.

I personally feel the need to comment, on how I did, why I lost or won etc. Some others apparently don't. If I were to be the top of the table I would have filled the threads with comments, reactions etc. But not everyone feels the need to post. People enjoy or suffer in silence I guess
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Also I am not sure whether "dying" means just lack of discussions or also lack of clicks on clips from games, etc?
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
But what are we supposed to do tbh? It's not like we can randomly ignite our creative sparks, and then the problems go away. But I like the team chats like what Sergio said. More fun and current
Team chats are awesome but I used to sill visit the stands and terraces but now topics are generally boring
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure I'm not alone here. I tend to prefer the Barça chat to discuss football, because our fans have a similar view. I'm all for different opinions, but I can't be bothered reading the opinion of people who claim Spain only has two good clubs.
The input I give in the Barça and Real chat pages is always a base for good output from others who understand and watch the Primera Division, and who I generally consider more intelligent than others.

I also like reading and occasionally commenting on other chat pages, but generally all EPL chat pages are filled with hateful comments, transfer rumours and other spam. What I like is for example an in-depth analysis of a game, or of a player, not any superficial spam that varies between "Berbatov is shite" (usually followed by the same user saying he's awesome a week later) to vulgar insults.

So the fact footytube is now populated by, as NetNerd already pointed out, a majority of people who couldn't distinguish a football from a tennis ball really puts me off. Then again, I get my essential shot of intelligent footy discussions from talking to friends when we're watching a game, whether it's talking via meebo to fellow Barça fans (I love you all lads ), or talking to friends here in the house we rent.

Oh, and please don't read into this as a cheap shot at Premier league fans. It's just a fact that the larger a fanbase becomes, the more idiots are attracted. And it happens to be so that the EPL has a lot more fans on footytube than the Spanish, German or Italian leagues. So generally you'll find more intelligent and true football fans in those sections, because the few fans that are a fan of a not so popular team or league, usually are people that 'know their football', and not bandwagon-hoppers
Maybe we can have a revive week so that we can knock of these old weak topics with older stuff that is still relevant.... Unlikely but just a thought
I will make a thread and throw a few things out myself if people are for it
Ok cool for a sec I saw it and then felt kinda angry I thought you stole my idea lol
I'll make a thread (ideally it would be a sticky or something) and then we'll have a week where we bring the best of old threads to life and people will be more interested in creating new ones, that includes myself.

It may be the jumpstart we need
That was a good idea by the way

Kick4Life - changing lives through football