Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is Rooney Able Take The Captaincy Of England?
[account-removed] 4 years ago
A large survey has been made and people has voted wayne rooney as they want him to be the caption of the english team, he is also in world-class form. Being there of rio, lampard, gerrard, is it good to made him caption of the england? I think cappello has also changed his penalty taker and he hasn't told us yet. Who gonna' be his next penalty and set piece taker? Do you know anything?
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Link: www.footytube.com/forums/the-stands-general-footy-...

Good idea for a topic and it isn't exactly the same but you know what the mods are like, anything on the slightest that will lead to a different topic can be posted there.

But good question and it won't neccesarily be locked. I'm really surprised roon was voted over Gerrard. I think Lamps should be the penalty taker as he is like Le Tissier for Chelsea. He missed one against Man. City and I was super-surprised because it is unlike him to miss. But it seems players perform differently on national call up. Gerrard could be the one tooo but I haven't heard anything
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
(This is a similar conversation to what's happening in several other topics, but I'll go ahead )

Here's the reason I say no, and why most of England's coaches in the past have said no. Rooney is in the best form of his life; he's assured points. So why jeopardize that by giving him an added responsibility that he may not be ready for? Making him play as captain could take his eye of all those balls that the packed-out midfield will be pushing up to him. From a talent perspective, I think he's too good to trust with any extra responsibility.

Also there's fears that he can be provoked. If I'm an opposing manager at the WC I tell my players to get at Rooney and make him do something rash. I think Fergy's had to isolate him from the captaincy for this reason.... Maybe's he's more aware of Rooney's temper than others.

Also word is that he's already talked to Fabs and he doesn't want to be captain, for the same reason Gerrard and Lamps don't.

This link talks about the same subject in depth-

Link: timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2010/02/why-it-wou...
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
And here's a little link to my source on who doesn't want to be captain- Link: www.rs.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2010/02/02/1...
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Not now, I believe gerrard, barry or lamps could take it next.      Oh oh and rio if he fixes his back
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I believe Gerrard should take his turn. He deserves it and he's getting old enough. He might not get a turn if he doesn't take it now. Rooney will also get his turn, when he gets older and after Gerard's gone. And what happened with Terry? Did he resign or get kicked out?
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I would like that, but a lot of players could be handed the role if terry loses it, my predicition it is rio who is gonna' take it
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Rooney is still young and giving him the captaincy will only add more pressure to him. Let him gain more experience, but I do see him eventually getting the captaincy after the new generation of English players step up
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Rooney at his age could be England's captain because he managed to proove at ManU and national team that he is a capable leader...
Kristof (Chelsea) 4 years ago
The answer is no, no to rooney and especially no to ferdinand theres no other man for the job other than john terry, doesn't matter what he has done or what people think of him he is the right man, he hasnt let things effect his football so for me that's all that matters
Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
He'd be a good captain for England, but unfortunatley, it's already been confirmed that Rio Ferdinand is captain now. Most international captains have been captains of their club, like Terry, Gerrard and Ferdinand
Diablo28 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
He is a great player I have no doubt about that but I think being captain of the England team can be a little too much for him. In fact it is already a reality that's Rio Ferdinand is gonna' be the Captain

Kick4Life - changing lives through football