Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is Giggsy Done?
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Ryan Giggs, the man, the myth, the legend. The retired?

I say this with a bit of sadness and much respect to all the ManU faithful, but is it time for Giggs to hang up the old boots? This guy can still tear it up on occasion and his brilliance will continue to be seen for the rest of the season, as no doubt Fergie has not yet lost trust in his aged veteran, but what happened yesterday against Arsenal was a bit too revealing.

I'd have to re-watch the game to be sure but I would say he lost the ball or blew a good chance at least 10-15 times, most during crucial build up points. There were times last season when he seemed just one step short of a finish or a defender would beat him to a ball that a different player (no, not Paul Scholes) could have won. In yesterday's game this mishap was seen time and again with much frustration from myself (and Rooney) along with all united fans.

Ryan Giggs is class, but class won't win the big games, I think old Giggsy I just a bit to slow to play in the Premiership anymore. And yes if you're wondering Scholes definitely fits in this category as well. Remember Giggs became who he is because he got chances at a young age to prove himself and now it's time for him to step aside and let the other's become the next Ryan Giggs.

The very angry and very very rude (at least that's what they tell me, although I don't feel angry?)

Vonrasmussen
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Well I think he is done. I think he was done last season. I don't know why he won PFA. But he's old he doesn't have the tricks anymore. He just gets the ball and passes nothing else. I think he should retire
Vidic22 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Hmmmm both lol.... I still think giggsy has a bit more mojo left but not enough to play full time big games or as striker.... They can keep him as a motivational speaker and play him in the not so big games lol.... Then again its epl every game is big, so it seems I'm agreeing with you now.... Soo I second "The Retired"!
Hithere (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yes, he didn't perform very well against the Arsenal match but I'm not yet entirely convinced that he should retire.

I think he still makes good passes. It's just the speed that's lacking, which is understandable. As long as he doesn't have to run a lot during counter attacks (leave that to Rooney and co.), I think he's still OK
RealMadrid1917 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
HE should stay he's a legend but nani is the s**t right now let him be a sub he played horrible against arsenal he can't give rooney a good pass. Maybee this should be his last season of footbol
RealMadrid1917 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Ps scholes should retire  
KWManUtdFan (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Giggs is our leader, period! I now, and will always continue to support the most loyal player to ever play at United. He is a master of the game, and we are fortunate he is still in 1st team form. I will never write off Ryan Giggs.

Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs,
Running down the wing,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs
Running down the wing,
Feared by the blues,
Loved by the Reds,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs...
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yeah, I think it's time for Scholes and Giggs to retire and allow the youngsters opportunities to prove themselves. Nani has played surprisingly well so far this season, and I would rather see him start and make a couple blunders, then see Giggs make a large handful of mistakes.

There's no doubt that Giggs was a terrific player in his prime; but we have to be realistic, he's past that. I was surprised by the couple of goals he scored last season. This campaign though, I just don't think he's up to par
Tom (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Giggsy might not have played well against Arsenal, but he was very instrumental in both of United's goals. He played the through ball to Rooney that led to the penalty, and he took the freekick that Diaby did well to bury it in Arsenal's goal. He won't play much, but he still has a role to play. Sadly this will be Giggsy's last season
Yamsy (Liverpool) 4 years ago
He should stay for another 2 seasons or so, just play him on as a substitute....
He's still fit and has bags of experience, also a legend to look up to for his younger team-mates....
The same thing with Paul Scholes....
Neville on the other hand, is totally crap, he should retire....
KWManUtdFan (Manchester United) 4 years ago
All you haters can look at today's display from Giggs, and tell me whether he should retire today. What a goal, what hustle, what leadership. Never turn your back from the most decorated player in English football. Giggs will continue to impress. Haters!
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 4 years ago
"This guy can still tear it up on occasion and his brilliance will continue to be seen for the rest of the season, as no doubt Fergie has not yet lost trust in his aged veteran, but what happened yesterday against Arsenal was a bit too revealing. "

On occasion my friend but as a whole, he's just a step short. He played ok yesterday and the free kick was tremendous, but I'll still stand by my post. And I don't hate Giggs, I love Giggs, he's just old.... That's all. And with this game age is an unfortunate factor
Pato7Nani17 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Today Giggs played great, he's not done but Paul Scholes on the other hand....  
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Perhaps he should retire at the end of the season but I think he's still got another season or two after that where he can play as a sub at least. Plus he's an excelent example for the youngster coming through and has much to teach them.

All in all, whether he plays or retires, he truly is a pl legend
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Imo he like scholes and park shouldnt be used in the big games. Giggs and scholes arnt the players of yesterday and there are others who are younger and just as good that can play the big games. Giggs, scholes and Park can play smaller games.

Maybe at the end of the season, maybe not. He still does a good job. I think he and Scholes will talk to fergie and they will retire when United no longer need them. I don't think they will just retire even if fergie still wants them, they have to much respect for him and the club
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Well said. Giggs is a great player to pull out of the hat when the team needs a leader or a goal, but he is nothing near the quality he used to be. He scored a cracking free kick against Spurs, no doubt, but if you take the overall match, he made quite a few errors and was easily dispossessed several times
Giggs did well no doubt in the game.... But Scholes was sent off, we all know he can't tackle well.... He's way past it, it might be his last season, who knows...
Zach (Manchester United) 4 years ago
The sending off was a bit harsh and I think Giggsy and Scholes played the exact part the manager put them in the team for. They held down the midfield and stopped the great attacking force that is Spurs. When I first saw the team sheet I was a bit surprised. SAF played four 'central' players across the midfield with Giggs on the left and Fletcher on the right. Either way it proved masterful as United openly controlled the center of the park.

When Giggs and Scholes are well past it, Sir Alex simply won't pick them. Until then, I trust Sir Alex's choices as always
K, I agree, how about Neville then?
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Neville should retire right now. Not wait till the end of the season. He's terrible
On3two (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Terrible is a bit harsh i'd say. United owe him a lot for his great performances over the past seasons but it has to be said with the likes of Rafael and Evans in the mix, its definitely time for Neville to move on.... Perhaps part of the staff at united?
Zach (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Neville has been fit for a few weeks now and you still don't see him making any starts. Sir Alex knows when and how to use him. I expect he'll make a few starts in the cups and will be more or less used for his leadership alone.
You can't turn your backs on players like Giggs, Scholes and Neville because they've never turned their backs on the club.

And remember that this same sort of talk arose 2 years ago before Sir Alex found a new way to use Giggs through the middle

Kick4Life - changing lives through football