Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is Ben Foster Ready?
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Yesterday, again, Kenwyne Jones capitalized on a bad exit from Ben Foster to come to head a cross from the excellent Andy Reid. An additional error to the keepers of mutd. It is time that van der Sar come back...
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 4 years ago
.... I think with the consistency of this bad play Fergie is going to have to look elsewhere, perhaps to Kussy
I think so too. Man utd should get a better keeper
DanielxRed (Manchester United) 4 years ago
He is almost ready in my opinion, he shows glimpses of real quality with some pretty fast reflex saves and acrobatic diving saves but then does have those calamitous moments and I think that will mostly pass as he is still young and relatively inexperienced when it comes to constant first team action against premier league quality. I think with some more time and experience he will be Uniteds new young successor and at the moment I have just about complete faith in him
Big9al (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
Yes he is extremely ready to sit on the bench.... LOL
Seantoon (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
To be honest, even though Manchester United are doing well in the league.... I thought Ben Foster could have done better do prevent some of the goals in the Manchester Derby.... ^_^
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I think he is goin to be a disaster
Tokyoreddevil (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think Foster is a great keeper. Yes he has made a lot of mistakes this year but if a young (by keeper standards) player is not given the time to learn from them then when will he ever improve? Having the back line keep changing before him isn't going to help his confidence. Is Rio playing or not? Will Vidic start? One thing all keepers thrive on is consistancy and the United back four hasn't had a lot of that this year.

Add to that the fact that he is in many ways the junior pro at the back, and in a position where he has to be the dominant personality, and I think that is another reason for his flapping.come on, if you're the new boy are you going to scream, shout, and give the odd bollocking to experienced professionals like Vidic and Ferdinand? Actually I think even Schmeichal might have thought twice about shouting in Vidic's face! That realtionship between a keeper and his defence takes time to grow, once they get used to each other, and you see Foster really giving it (I mean a rollocking, stop laughing at the back!) to his back line I think we'll see the best of him.

My point is that while Foster has been guilty of some bad mistakes this year, the fault doen't lie with his talent. Like so many keepers it's purely a confidence thing. Give the lad time, I'm convinced he'll come good

Ben Foster for me is not good enough to play a mutd. Unfortunately it is often difficult to have a good goalkeeper Reservist who agrees to play 7 games a year
DiegoFC (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
I don't think so he is way to clumsy
Jabernard (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I would just like to add that I think this is a great thread. Not only was it relevant two months ago, its still going! Why? Because ben foster did not seem ready and does make obvious mistakes.

However, I would have expected manchester united to have dropped points, and outside of an early loss, they look as strong as ever. They continue to win, despite foster as a liability in the net, and many of their key defenders out injured over the course of several weeks, including ferdinand, vidic, and one of the twins - I think fabio.

How and why did they not drop more points - I mean even a tie or two? Instead, they kept winning like they always do. Some of it is luck (like being awarded extra minutes of injury time - as a chelsea fan, I must admit that the added minutes definitely can cost a team a victory). But, in all fairness to ben foster, he hasnt screwed up as much as I would expect him too. For all of his horrible mistakes, he certainly hasnt cost united any games, he just allows goals that he shouldnt.

If you ask me, he has done what he needed to do, which is keep united in title contention until van der saar returns. If that is the criteria, than I would say he was ready and is ready. To be a world class goalkeeper - the man will never be ready
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Personally I think foster is waayyyy overrated and always has been. He makes good saves from time to time but he isn't consistent and that is the key to being a good keeper.

Now for all those saying SAF has alot of confidence in him think of this, as a goalie, I was pretty decent, but was critisized ALOT. The team I played on didn't have too many people who liked me very much and they really did linger on each and every little mistake I would make. I only got worse and worse until eventually I was useless and actually started learning how to play other positions and quit my duty between the posts all together. Now I'm starting to play keeper again and I'm not have bad yet again but one thing I learned from this is that goal keeping is more about confidence than anything. Once someone starts to tell you (especially someone like SAF) that your rubbish, you will start playing like rubbish. I've seen it happen to many other keepers than myself. We've all seen it happen to robinson when the media ate him alive. Therefore of course SAF is going to come out and say that Foster is a great keeper. If he wants the england keeper to perform his best, he needs him to think he is the best
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
The question isn't whether Foster is ready he clearly is not. His mistakes against Man City almost cost United the game. The real question is how soon until VanDerSaar returns?
Amayel (PSG) 4 years ago
To me foster he's rubbish but he knows how to keep the goal a little bit !
But you must don't care about thta he got the best defenders in frton of him : Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, that's enough !
Dhanasil (Manchester United) 4 years ago
He is a good keeper, he is still young and he needs to prove himself I don't any GoalKeeper without doing mistakes its natural but he has to stop doing them
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think Van Der Sar is alot better. He is, I'm sure everyone will agree. But Ben Foster just isn't set and ready to take a number one spot for any team yet. He needs alot more practice. I don't think he's a very good goalkeeper anyway considering how many people have him in their dreamfooty team. Has Tomas Kusczak left? (can't spell his name by the way) He's better than Foster, no doubt, I dunno where he went. Answer would be appreciated and this is a great post. I think the same as ManUk because because he has not dealt with the pressure of being a top team's goalkeeper. He needs to get his performance up. I think a loan out to a Championship side like Peterborogh would do him good. More practice is what he needs. Oh, and also, I don't know what happened to VDS. Anyone?
JohnnyG (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Anyone else notice Foster doesn't throw the ball like most keepers? He sports the underhand toss no matter how far the target
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Didn't notice that...
JohnnyG (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Haha I tend to notice things like that since I'm a goalie myself

Kick4Life - changing lives through football