Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is Ben Foster Ready?
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Sir Alex still has faith in Foster, even after that horror show....

Link: www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/deta...
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Well if Ferguson had of come out fuming, ranting and suggesting he was going to drop Foster, it would have utterly destroyed his confidence. Some players respond well to getting yelled at, others respond well to getting a confidence boost, and Ferguson knows by now which player is which.

Personally speaking, I hope that Fergie stubbornly sticks by him no matter how many howlers he makes. It might end up good for Uniteds opponents!
JohnnyG (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I gotta' say, after todays game I have pretty much lost all faith in Foster's footwork. If his nerves are really that bad, he's got some major issues to work out. Even balls that were played back to him on the ground smoothly were a challenge for him, and he created many opportunities for Chelsea to convert
Exactly what I was thinking.... After that performance, he doesn't stand a chance to get some first team action, let alone get into the England squad...
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Haha funny you say that when he's about to start for England in a few days
Well, that's not gonna' end well...
Yea bla bla bla I guess you should take Fergie's and Capello's job for starting such a horrible keeper. What the hell do they know right?
That's a simple question.... More than you...
Exactly. They know more than you and I so they're starting the lad for a reason
The reason is.... Probably because Van Der Sar and David James are both injured.... But now, Capello is having second thoughts....

Link: ow.ly/15KpNC
Nowhere in that article does it say Capello is having second thoughts. It just says that he should. This is what Fergie says "He should have done better for the second goal, knowing the ability he has. He's waited a long time, had his injuries. In pre-season I spread the load between Van der Sar, Ben and Tomasz and maybe he hasn't had enough minutes. We know his ability. Knowing that ability, I don't have any worries about him. " he's just rusty like most players are for the first game of the season
I still think he should let Kusczak play the next game instead of Ben...
I've definitely been more impressed with Kusczak's play over Foster's. I just can't get over how many times he played with the ball when he needed to just boot it. When the ball was played to his right foot from O'Shea (I think it was O'Shea), it is inexcusable at his level to be upset about that
Yup, and you should know best, cause you play goalkeeper yourself...
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Foster definatly likes to play with the ball too much. Just kick the ball or pass it before the opposing players reach you. Not that difficult
How about the other keeper? Kuscak (or however you spell his name....).... What do you think of him?
I personally think Foster is better, but maybe this season one of them will prove to be better than the other...
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
He's alright too, but Foster has more potential I think. Foster just had a bad game and a little hiccup not watching the ball. He had plenty of trickier back passes in today's game and he made damn sure not to botch any of them, though some weren't particularly convincing but they were cleared all the same. Making mistakes like this earlier in the season just reinforces his desire not to make stupid mistakes like that again
Alfaz (Manchester United) 4 years ago
My opinion is Kuszczak is better than foster.... And he should be the 2nd choice. I do understand that Ferguson once mentioned that Foster will be Englang no. 1 in a few years time but judging by the way he played, I don't think he is now, becoming England no. 1...
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
The question in the thread is about foster but after watching the game VDS was not at his best so is it time for him to retire?
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
No, I think VDS has at least 2 or 3 years left if he can step up this year! And also he is doing quite well for holland!
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Van der sar doesn't have much left in him and personnaly, I think its time for him to quit while he's ahead
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
No, both keeps did not have a good game! And I guess owen has scored with number 7 this will be interesting to see if he can still keep up with the number 7 legend!
Yea it will be impossible to be in the same breath as Cantona
He did very well against Tottenham earlier this year in the penalty shootout. He has some bad days....But he is a young inexperienced keeper. I imagine we'll start to see more of him this year and Fergie will get a better idea if he is ready for continuous first team play. We shall see....I was afraid when I saw this post that VDS was retiring early or something; that would be some disturbing news.

Update: Fergie believes in him:

Link: www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid= {F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&redirectorid=news_story&newsid=6636494
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
He is a good keeper, he is still young and he needs to prove himself I don't any GoalKeeper without doing mistakes its natural but he has to stop doing them. I don't think VDS has retired it will be 1 more year then Foster will be ready
Wannabgunner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I agree with that
Plus every keeper needs practice and everyoe in a while if you don't get it
You'll mess up.... I wouldnt give him too much stick
If anything I would be more mad at VDS.... That's a rookie mistake
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Like Tom said, "Let's not be too quick to judge him on this one mistake. " As a goalkeeper, sometimes you get a little too comfortable with yourself, and that's what happened to Foster. As a goalkeeper, you're used to knowing where you are in the box with your eyes closed, and he had himself positioned in a situation in which their could have been a through ball attempted or a shot from long distance. From playing myself, it's just a great shot. Foster really wasn't that far off his line. It's just that when you've played for so many years, you unconsciously put yourself in position to stop as many angels an offensive attempts as possible, not really expecting something as out of the blue as a 40 yard lob shot, which is what Foster didn't expect. Plus, the defence broke down near midfield so sometimes you say to yourself, "How much can I really do at this point? " lol
Haha mate that was VDS for the first goal. Foster messed up when the ball bounced over his foot and it got away from him which led to a tap in
Lol Yeah that happens to everyone too, even Casey Keller. That's if you saw today's game with Seattle Sounders FC playing Chelsea.  
Trust me I'm a goalie myself, but what happened to Foster, in my opinion, is pretty inexcusable at the premier league level
True. I am talking from a perspective of a person who just graduated from high school lol There's a big gap between me and Foster with experience.
Well the same thing happened to Buffon before so would you say he's not at the premier league level? These kinds of things happen all the time. At least Foster's blunder came in a pre-season friendly rather than during a match that meant something
Get all those stupid mistakes out of the way in the preseason, I says.... He'll be ready for the EPL
It was his first game in a very long time. Every player that played today made some very bad mistakes even VDS was caught sleeping and well off his line. Let's not be too quick to judge him on this one mistake
Agreed, it's a pre-season match, so ofcourse fitness is a little low, but they've still got about a month to pick themselves back up, so don't blame the man for that...
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Well people say Wow he was so good I saw him play for so and so, why doesn't Fergie Play him?

All I've ever seen him do is mess up on the highlight films so I don't know what they are thinking. I thought he was good but now I'm not so sure with him being third choice under Fergie
Maybe should move to a club where he can get some more playing time?

Well from what I've seen I don't think he's ready. He has cracked under the pressure
Too much
Charlie (Barcelona) 5 years ago
From what i have seen of him, it hasnt been much, i dont think he is ready. Actually, now that i think of it, the only time i have seen him is when they are showing his blunders on the highlights.hmmm............maybe he cant handle the pressure of playing for the glorious Manchester United. I guess the next question is, who can ManU buy to replace VDS? i remember hearing some rumors a long time ago about memo ochoa going to ManU.
After watching this mistake today, I don't know if I've got faith in him. Obviously every keeper has the occasional blunder, but its definitely not a good time to be making one when VDS is on the way out soon (probably next season?). What do yall think?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football