Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is Arsne Wenger A Bad Loser.
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Not for the first time, arsne wenger has refused to shake an opposing managers hand after defeat, which in my mind is unforgiving, and a really bad example to set to players, fans, kids and the like.
To turn his back on mark hughes the way he did, and head off down the tunnel, was an absolute disgrace.
Its not as if it was a tight game, were tensions were high etc;, city won it easily, so I could, nt see his reason for the behavior after the game.
I mean if it was the technical area incident, get real arsne, theres no excuse for not shaking hands, even if you don't mean it,
Its made you look a bad loser.... Again

What do you guys think?
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Agreed unforgiving is a good word to describe it haha. Disgraceful really
LeftHeadKick (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Completely appropriate. Mark Hughes is not someone I would think deserves respect.... He's always acted rude to Arsene during games and now he won the lottery and thinks he's a good coach.... Not every situation calls for a handshake.... It's sport, but it's still real life to the players and coaches. It's hard to hold back emotion and Arsene has always worn his heart on his sleeve
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Mourinho is a bad loser. - Everytime he lose its opposition's luck.
Fergie is a bad loser - He complains referees aren't fit when he loses.
Rafa is a bad loser - he always complains he doesn't have the resource to compete when he loses.

They are all the same. Managers at the top aren't good loser. Because most of the time, they got used to the feeling of winning. Ain't it?
Your right, but the others don't turn their back on an opponent, bad sportrmanship of the highest order in my book.
The others still manage a handshake at the end, and its not the first time he's refused someones hand, he did it to alan pardew aswell
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think Arsene is a great manager, but lets himself down when he does this. It is a disgrace, a bad example like you said Tony. I don't think he is a bad loser, unless he does this, and it isn't every game. When you know that you've lost Robin Van Persie and it isn't a transfer period, plus you are third in the league and you are expected to win, you are going to be disappointed. Maybe it was just the stress of losing and he thought they would have won with RVP. But in any case, I think a handshake is respectful and he was wrong to just storm off
Sensible words from a sensible young man, hope young yogans the future.... Fair play and sportrmanship
Griffo (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Arsene by name arse by nature.... The man's an arrogant prick in my opinion. Good manager he may be - albeit one whose club have yet to win anything in the past 5 years - but he's one of the the worst losers in the game; he 'never sees' an incident if it's caused by his team, only if it's detrimental to his team, and the result of course.... Yes most managers are defensive of their sides etc etc but I think for a supposed intelligent guy like he is (or the image he loves to cultivate anyway) Wenger is an arrogant fool. His reaction to Mark Hughes merely stepping out of the technical area last night to kick a ball back into play spoke volumes.... And it's far from the first time he's behaved with such petulant, arrogant discourtesy towards other managers.... Ban him I say.... Siberia maybe...
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
No. Mark Hughes has bad breath. Ofcourse! Who avoids having a hand shake at the end of a great football game
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I don't understand why it is so hard to shake someone's hand at the end of the game. Even if it pains you to do it, you should have the heart to do it, or at least the balls. It is a bad example for children everywhere, Arsene is admired all over the world and many young kids and young adults will see this and think it is OK. Unacceptable really. I mean how many teams has Arsene crushed, and there manager has always had the decency to shake his hand afterwards. Don't be so bitter about it Wenger, losing is part of the game, you should be happy it was to a great team like City.

What if a team like Sheffield United beat Arsenal, and the manager really deserved recognition for his performance, and his team's and at the very least a handshake from Wenger. Would he stiff them too? Because that would be an absolute disgrace(not that not shaking Hughes hand isn't), every team must lose, don't be so pissy about it Arsene
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Arsene should act better, I definitely agree
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think Arsene has reserved special contempt for Hughes more than usual, but you're absolutely right. It is quite a shame that one of the best, most-admired managers in the world acts like a child at times. Who complains about a rival manager straying into the technical area? Really. When you look at some of his interviews, one would never imagine him to be bitter about things but he sure does let himself down and everybody advocating him along with it. He can whine to the officials, kick bottles, wave his arms like a composer, sink himself in his pool of bitterness but when you don't respect an opponent, a rival tactician and manager, you are losing respect yourself. Arsene should know this by now
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
We don't know what was said beforehand or during that might have caused it. Perhaps Hughes and Wenger had some huge argument, or Wenger heard that Hughes completely disrespected him. I have no idea. We shouldn't jump to conclusions that Wenger is a bad loser based on this. I've always thought of him as a decent individual
Your going soft in your old age ant.... Lol, you of all people, going easy on a frenchman.... Lol.
True, something coulda been said, but for the sake of the game, and the onlookers, he should have shaken hands with mark hughes.
It lacked class, which the french are supposed to have in abundance
Griffo (Manchester United) 4 years ago
.... And a bad loser.... Facts speak for thermselves.  
Craxy (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Just look at his face when he losses a game, sums him up! Face like a slapped arse (ho ho ho ho).

I seem to remember him doing something similar with Alen Pardew a couple of years back. I can't stand the guy. I do reckon he's a good manager but I think he's become a bit lost over the past 5 years haha.
Ltm017 4 years ago
Who isn't? Some just show it more than others and act out more
Keong (Manchester United) 4 years ago
No one is perfect in this world! LOL
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
He was scared that Mark Hughes will fall down again and maybe accidentally injure him along the way like what he did on the opening day against Sam Alladyce.

Ok cut out that joke, I feel that it's a coutesy of every managers to shake hand after the match, I know Arsene Wenger is a very clever man, leading Arsenal from a very defensive team to a now one of the most exciting team in the world, but I've seen him becoming more and more cocky this few years, quarelling with other managers, kicking the water bottle, complaining to the press, not shaking hands. Really sore loser he has become, he is a great manager, but he is becoming more like Mourinho, and SAF that kind of grumpy manager
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
I don't know how Arsene Wenger could win anything with that child team. You cannot beat with Chelsea, Manchester with a team of youngsters. In Carling Cup he used only 18-19 years old youngsters with no experience. I think if Arsenal doesn't change it's transfer policy they won't win anything in the next 4 years
Your right, everyone goes on about how good a manager wenger is.... What has he won?
And he is a good manager, for an under 16s team, 'cause his team look under 16 to be honest.
Where did all the big and imposing arsenal players go? , they were never replaced, and that's down to one person.... But maybe he did, nt see it
Sjsung (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Now I believe I am the first Arsenal fan to post here?

Well first of all, I would like to say that I believe not shaking hands is a wrongdoing that Wenger needs to get over himself of. Having said that, that is the way Wenger shows it and that is his weakness. Every top manager shows it in some way, whether it be by a hand shake, in a post-match conference, or whatever.

I think it would be great if Wenger would keep himself calm more often, but sadly, no one's perfect.

Second, I think the media loves this kind of story. They've made a whole feature article on a mere handshake that was not exchanged. And I think that some people here who are posting insults at Wenger have no rights whatsoever to do that, and they should keep their comments to themselves.

I'm not defending Wenger and saying not shaking hands is ok, but I think that the whole thing has been blown out of proportion, and that Wenger needs to learn, and so do us that its just a handshake and that the media is making traps.

(by the way: just an fyi that a handshake is not required at the end of a match)
Neither is bad sportsmanship, required at the end of the match.
I think a lot of what happened goes back to mark hughes days at blackburn, when they used to kick lumps out of arsenal at every given occasion, and arsne has, nt forgot that.
As for the media, you can't blame them.... !, its all arsnes own making.... Lol, had he shook hands, none of this would have happened, wenger supplied the media with the bullets, and they, re just firing em.... Lol
Zzlatan (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Well he doesn't like manchester manager.
And he lost to them by big margin.
So he was not willing to do do.
May be superego or can't accept the defeat.
No offence,
But if we lose against a good opponent, We must respect them.
I don't know what arsene wenger has in his mind.
Though he is good, I like him smetimes for being polite certain times
Your right zzlatan.... Respect, is the main word here.... Two boxers punch the hell out of each other, and bad mouth one another before and during a fight, and afterwards, they are best buddies.
Can't imagine arsne with the boxing gloves on though.... Lol
Sjsung (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Lol. Arsene and Mourinho vs Fergie and Benitez in a boxing match! Man that would be quite a sight!
Craxy (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Na you can't put Fergie with Benitez! They would start hitting each other. I think a 4 way free for all. Fergie to batter them all

Kick4Life - changing lives through football