Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Important: New Rules, New Punishments - Read Carefully
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 4 years ago
Are you in the dumb brigade?

Most of you won't be affected by this, but if you have ever had a post deleted by a mod, then we suggest you read on.

Lately, we have been having a couple of problem posts with a few select users who seem to think that the forums are some kind of instant messaging platform / kindergarten playpen. They're not, that's what meebo and er kindergarten is for.

The forums are for intelligent, interesting commentary and debate. Have a laugh, have a row, have fun, but don't turn it into a nonsensical kiddies playground. If adhering to these rules all seems rather boring to you then why don't you head on over to the Disney World Forums where I'm sure you will feel right at home with all the other 10 year olds.

Further, some of the dumb brigade seem to have a rather silly 'us against the mods' attitude. We find this pretty insulting - we've worked damn hard on creating footytube and building this community. None of us get paid for this, so it would be nice if you would respect the mods wishes, as we do yours when we go about implementing a new user suggested feature, or tweaking code to accommodate user suggestions. We, like you, come here to engage with the community first and foremost. Moderation comes second, and we'd much prefer it if we never had to delete a single post.

Obviously, everyone is going to have different ideas on what they deem to be 'intelligent commentary and debate' but ultimately, a line has to be drawn somewhere between those that want to use the forums to post comments that should really be kept to your own walls / or meebo chat, and those of us who want to have an interesting, and intelligent conflab, without seeing it hijacked by the 'dumb brigade'.

So, please heed this warning and think twice before you post.
Do you really need to reply with 'lolz', or 'yah'? Do you really need to get personal, or bring a conversation around to something off-topic and irrelevant? Are you adding anything to the convo? If the answer is no, it's best for everyone if you either think about something that will add to the convo, or find another topic to post in.

2 Strikes and you're out

From now on, those that are seen making posts like this, will get yellow carded by the mods. Your comments will be removed, and your valuation will go down as a result.

If you continue to ignore our requests to abide by the rules, you will be red carded, and every comment you make from now on will enter auto moderation before going live on the site, which could mean a delay of several hours before seeing ANY of your posts going live (depending on how drunk/alseep the mods are when you make your post). "No big deal, you red card me, and i'll just create another account" you say? Well no, all new users to the site will enter auto-moderation by default from now on as well, until cleared by a mod. So creating a new account will have no effect.

So this is basically your last chance to heed this warning. Sorry if the penalties sound harsh, but things are going to get really rather busy soon, and we don't have the time to keep cleaning nonsensical childish crap out of the forum. If you don't like it, feel free to go elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure i'm not dumb, what can I do to help?

We've added a new report category reason named, appropriately enough 'This post is dumb'. So report any posts that annoy you and if we agree with your reasoning, we will do something about it.
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Hmm.... Gotta' think of an intellegent reply!  I'm glad you guys are doing this though
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Just a few serious pointers:

"then why don't you head on over to the Disney World Forums where I'm sure you will feel right at home with all the other 10 year olds. "

Wrong! Infact 80% of disneys ordience is people over the age of 55 (old people) who are in to that fun loving happily ever after story!

" "No big deal, you red card me, and i'll just create another account" you say? Well no, all new users to the site will enter auto-moderation by default from now on as well, until cleared by a mod. So creating a new account will have no effect. "

Is that like an I. P check or what?
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 4 years ago
Serious pointers? Er kayy

Point A: LOL. Not sure what's worse - a forum full of 10 year olds or a forum full of lunatic neverland loving paedos. Either way, I'm pretty sure i'd prefer to be here. Real question is how you know this information Adamaus?

Point B: No, it's not an IP check, since users may have dynamic IPs, so this isn't really an option. There's nothing to be gained in me divulging anything further
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Because I am a lunatic neverland loving pedo

Na I dno I am full of random fun facts for exmaple:

During the 1936 Olympic Games, Stella Walsh, otherwise known as Stanislawa Walasiewicz, a Polish sprinter, was then known internationally as the fastest woman in the world, so when she was beaten by Helen Stephens of the you. S. Who simultaneously set a world record, running 100 metres in 11. 4 seconds, a Polish journalist protested that Helen Stephens must be a man
Yamsy (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Wow! Those are a little harsh, but I guess they are necessary to keep this place spic and span.... Good job on organising this idea, lets hope we get less useless stuff...
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
If you aren't the best with grammar and find it a chore having to proof-read every post you make online, then may I suggest you invest in downloading Firefox.

As well as being a better browser than IE (imo), it offers a dictionary add-on, which checks your grammar as you type.

Link: www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/
Yamsy (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Using Google Chrome.... Works faster and more organised.... But thanks for the suggestion....
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yea me too
Blaak (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Do I get a yellow card for posting lol after something?
TheRonaldo7 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Ok I know I am usually the main person involved in all this, so I can uderstand what you are saying, but suppose sum 1 writes a funny article, does that mean if you reply back by a simple LOL you will be getting a card?

Or what about when there is banter going on, like, offending a rival team through metaphorical uses, are you allowed to do so?

And something like "I think this is dumb icon", could just be selected because someone seriously dislike another guy on here, or because he is of a rival team and cannot handle a bit of friendly banter. What happens then?
Yea, the new members have problems with that, we can't joke just cause he's a Liverpool fan. Well for the good experienced users that's not the case
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I think the mods can with stand few insults, criticism against teams and then after that they will give a warning.
I must say we have come to have fun, make the Game global but not to blow each others heads
One word replies would be categorised as spam by most forums, it would just clutter the forums.

Banter is understood and accepted, we are all football fans here, but just do your best to be mature about it. I'd refer to the Community guidelines for this :

"7. Excessive Team / Player Bashing / 'Trolling'
We all like to have a friendly jibe or two every now and again, but team bashing comments such as 'Arsenal are Crap', are just plain rude, immature and well, a little boring. If you aren't able to articulate why you think arsenal are crap, there's not really a lot of point in saying it. The same goes for over-zealous praising of your team, saying 'Arsenal Rules!' may very well be true in your opinion, but it doesn't make for interesting reading, try telling us why they rule? "
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Hey, how does the spelling thing work with firefox/safri? Like I will see the red lines, but I don't get how to change them, and do we need to use correct punctuation?
Just right-click the red line and it will give you a number of options which you left-click to enter.

Don't worry too much about correct punctuation, I mean, it helps but you aren't in English class
I know I do it all the time, it works with google Chrome too
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I can feel the yellow cards pointing at me. Ok ill stop going offtopic. Happy lee?
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
If you like ie and you want to have the correction option download ie pro. It will put a red line under the misspelled word. It also has some other useful functions as well. Anyways good job mods on tidying footytube
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
"One word replies would be categorised as spam by most forums, it would just clutter the forums. "

Yeah, all we ask is that if you are going to write a really short reply that adds nothing to the conversation, then save it and send it to the other user using the Meebo chat feature at the bottom. The forums are for discussions, not for a joke at the top and a hundred really short replies under it
MAWTH (Arsenal) 4 years ago
So no more time outs, and a slap on the wrist?
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Nope my friend this is for real obey the rules and have fun, or you can do it by not obeying the rules, getting yellows then A RED, then spend your days without footytube without footy banter! And without a life!

THE rules ARE VERY EASY TO follow, SO ~follow them~ and comment wisely

Kick4Life - changing lives through football