Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Hypothetically If Your Manager Leaves....
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Who would you want to replace him? Every manager has his faults, from over-belief of players ability to underestimating them, from bad substitutions, to extravagant needs.

If in the always sad occasion your club's current manager leaves who'd you like to replace him? Put in 2 categories, one with managers who are jobless, and one with managers who arent jobless.

Well if the unspeakable happens and my precious carlo gets sacked I'd love for the following to replace him.

People who are jobless: Rijkaard and Martin oh Neil

Rijkaard because he has experience, and he knows how to play attractively and efficiently and MON because he lead Aston Villa to 6th, something Houlier is having trouble doing.

People who have a job: Mourinho, Guus, or Moyes.

Mourinho and Guus, because they are both tactical geniuses, and know how to run Chelsea FC. But I doubt it because, Guus is with Turkey, and Mou has Roman problems, and I doubt he'd leave Madrid w/out titles.

And that leaves Moyes, he is a real amazing coach, with 30 million or so, he has brought many a stars to Everton, and most of them under 6 million a piece, he knows how to get the result. With a killer budget here he could do wonders, and he knows how to develop a youth system, though he seems to love everton.

So how would yous replace your Carlo, Pep, Alex, Arsene, Harry or Jose? Or even your local MLS team

Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Rafa Benitez is also jobless, proven as league and european levels and says he wants to manage in the premiership whenever he next goes for a job
I belive rafa is a tactically amazing manager, but give our past history and benitez's history with owners, I don't think It will last long
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
Maybe try to go for another Dutchman again; Rijkaard or why not; Cruyff !

Currently in a job; guess we won't get Guardiola so let's try Capello!
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
Or Sven-Göran Eriksson...
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
For Rangers we are actually in that situation, Walter Smith is leaving and Ally McCoist is taking over, some see this as risky as its going to be Ally's first job, I think he'll be fine though!
OK but other than Ally I would like who is still in a job realistically: Ian Holloway or Harry Redknapp(that's borderline realistic!)

Unrealistically: Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola

Not working currently: Probably Rafa Benitez or Rikaard!
That porto coach is also real good. And young, he has learnt under the special one Ian Holloway (Jk)
Yoh64fr (Bordeaux) 3 years ago
Sure but to coach in a club like Chelsea (or any big clubs) is almost like a different job for a coach.
It is more ego management and having to deal with the owner (especially in Chelsea) constantly than tactics and developping players. I don't think that the tactic is the most important, experience and charisma are more important really.

Villas Boas is very good, but it is too early for him, he needs time
Yoh64fr (Bordeaux) 3 years ago
We have the same situation at Bordeaux, except that our coach is a club legend and the board does not want to fire him because it would look bad (a nice gesture but painfull when you about the shitty football I have to suffer every week).

However, I really doubt any of the names you mention will ever come to my club. But you are lucky to be able to be able to think about these names for the future of your club
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Well Roman does love to change coaches lol, so it is very possible Carlo could be sacked at the end of the season, or maybe even walk away and head for Roma. Although I hope none of that happens, if he does leave, I would choose:

People who have a job: Andre Villas Boas, Jose Mourinho, Guus Hiddink

People who are jobless: Frank Rijkaard! Although I hate the man after all the battles we've had with barca in the champions league, he his the only unemployed coach I would want at Chelsea atm. As I don't really believe the other available coaches would make us any better than we already are...
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Hmm well I'm not sure how long this will remain a hypothetical question for Chelsea .
If Carlo gets the sack which I hope he doesn't I would choose the following to replace him:

People with jobs: Mourinho, Hiddink
I'd choose those guys because they have both had experience managing the blues before and have had successful spells with Chelsea. However I doubt Guus will return to Stamford Bridge anytime soon given Turkey's refusal to let him go before the end of his contract. Mou hasn't won a trophy with Los Blancos and would be unlikely to win before he wins some major silverware and lets not forget the problems he and Roman have had in the past.

People who are jobless: Rijkaard
He's an experienced manager that has also won the champions league before, a trophy Roman has been dying to get his hands on. He can also help the blues play attacking attractive football and still win trophies, yet another thing that would really please Roman. He has what it takes to achieve success at Chelsea and if Carlo does leave Roman should really consider trying to get Rijkaard.
JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
For Manchester United its either Moyes or Murinho. I hope it Moyes because he will extend the tradition of picking players who have great determination as well a good deal of skill. But I would like to see Rijkaard in the mix.

For Chlesea I think it would be great to see Rijkaard. After all he is the real architect behind Barcelona's success and Chelsea may end up playing a more attractive style of football (although that has improved since Murinho's departure). But he would need to be given a free hand - no owner interference and two years (and forget about winning champions league) which may see Chelsea win it!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football