Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
How Necessary Is Physical Play ?
Phearos (Arsenal) 5 years ago
In my opinion physical play is req only if opposition plays that way. Keeping in mind ones team has skill and coordination
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
What is this thread for, May I ask  
Phearos (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Just give in your suggestion to above q?
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
A good TEAM can mostly play around it, but good team can harness it
Illskillz718 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Um, I think physcial play is somewhat necessary; it's in the nature of most sports to have a level of physicality. Unless you want to run a team full of pussies who can't go shoulder-to-shoulder with an opponent or can hold their own in set-pieces, where you know there will be lots of contact, then I would suggest a team that can hold their own and get physical when needed to be.

The physical play shouldn't be the driving force of your team, but it should be a component
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Yea the physicality of play is necessary sometimes, as long as your not cheating its a good tactic, fight on and off the ball and let the other team know that you want it, they realize that if they want it they will have to be just as physical or just be a lot quicker so they can't get physical with you.

Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I think you got it right in your first post. If a less-skilled team plays against a higher-skilled team, then sometimes they don't want to play proper football. They just want to stop the other team playing. It's a tactic, I suppose. You'll see one team constantly fouling the other. Seems to be that when this happens, then the strongly skilled team is dragged down to the level of the weaker team ands start to foul back. Must be a frustrating thing.

We have to remember though that football is a contact sport. A lot of shoulder to shoulder shoving is perfectly fine, as is a decent, hard tackle once you get the ball and don't slide in from behind.

So in summary, I think a poorly skilled but strong team would find it necessary to play is a very physical way
Rockerr (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I dunno about other leagues but when it come to prem Physical strength is the most important factor without it one cannot survive in prem!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football