Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Honestly How Good Is Messi?
Adenn (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Have you ever seen a player who can change direction and run at that speed and yet has the composure to know everything around him. I just want to know what you guys think, I mean where does he stand among the greats, and please only judge him what he can do with the ball. No point of this he hasnt won a world cup argument, we are talking about ability, and one more thing please don't bring up see ronaldo into this discusion he is irrelanvant
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
He's an exact replica of what the world used to watch in Maradona. Speed. Control. Low centre of gravity. Butter knife through passes. Always taking on one-on-one. Technically he's what Maradona was. Positionally he's placed in forwards position because of the evolution of tactics. Personally I think that is down to the Ronaldo(brazil) effect. Before him, legendary strikers eg. Muller, Pele, Van Basten, Batistuta are pretty much all instinctive, clinical striker/poacher. Anyone with dribbling skills are positioned on the wings or further down the pitch
Peteko 2 years ago
Very interesting Juno
Atnighthawk (AFC Telford United) 2 years ago
I pretty much agree with Juno. Its hard to judge who is best. For me Ronaldo of Brazil before his injury at Inter is still the best player i've ever seen. Then after him for me was Maradona and Messi is, as Juno said, basically the same just played further forward and in a better team than Maradona had.

Although slightly offtopic I'm consistently surprised how bad Argentina are internationally given the talent at their disposal. But then defenders nowadays seem to be pretty low class, says something when Nesta and Puyol are still playing well for their clubs when really some replacements should be waiting in the wings by now, so on Messi's goalscoring form its hard to judge if he's good because he's truly sensational (quite likely but always questionmarks) or the defenders are just not that good. He needs to go to the hardest league to score in, in the world (wherever that may be nowadays) and try it there. I remember, although obviously he has got better, when they played Chelsea a few years back he was pretty much marked out of the game and couldn't directly influence it. If defenders were better or he moved clubs would this happen? I guess that's the only doubts people have
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 2 years ago
Well said juno...
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
He's definitely the best player I've watched (started watching football in '94). Obviously there have been some truly great players in the past, but I haven't seen enough of them to be able to compare. I think we'll be able to say for sure in a decade or so, he's still young and yet miles above every other player at the moment.

The world cup argument is the biggest nonsense I've ever heard. I'm with you on that, I don't see how that has to do with a player's ability
RealAnimalz (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Zidane is way more amazing to watch, you've been looking at all the wrong channels since 94, hehe
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Animalz you know about football
BoboRed (Leeds United) 2 years ago
Ah, this old chestnut again. I think I'll pass
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Old news...
Hittash (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Born to play football.... No words to express his talent amazing speed and control over the ball
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
Correction. Messi was born with a growth hormone deficiency disorder. He was fed steroids to play football. Lol
Lol, that is really funny there...
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 2 years ago
Is that steroid matter true?
CatGooner (Arsenal) 2 years ago
He's proven that he's the best player of his generation. Only question remains is if he can play in other leagues. Some people don't care if he can play in other leagues, but you can't say that it wouldn't be interesting to see
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Let me post the stereotypical comments.

"Not as good as Heskey"

"cr7 44 Lyf"

"Rooney 4 lyf"

"Pele/Mardonna four lyfe, even do I am 7"

"No world cup, me no gusta"
RealAnimalz (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Lol at 'not as good as heskey'
Nervouspuny (Columbus Crew) 2 years ago
Messi is better, but Ronaldo is also good. The reason for Messi is so good because the players know where and when to pass him, but Ronaldo singuarly can make a difference in the field. If I were to buy one (for my favorite team Aston Villa) I would buy Ronaldo.

LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Ozil knows how to pass to him, as does Marcelo, and Di Maria,    #justsaying.
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Messi has never singularly made a difference in the field, right? Honestly: Ronaldo hasn't scored 5 decent solo goals since he moved to Madrid. Not saying that that's bad, but Messi is a much, much better dribbler than Ronaldo and scores much more goals he creates for himself.

Ronaldo, nowadays, is just a really good striker. Very similar to the old Ronaldo of Brazil in his best days IMO. But Messi is the lightening bolt you can't catch that can go everywhere with his skill, acceleration and agility. Ronaldo is not
Guys, let's just leave Ronaldo out of this thread. Shall we?
Wesblitz (Manchester City) 2 years ago
Messi is best in the world for me. Sometimes I think people don't see messi's talent as much as they should because he makes it look so easy. Is reaction to tsckles is better than anybody elses in the world. Also, he is so quick and composed. He truly makes embarasing the worlds best defenders look like a peice of cake, and for ronaldo it takes 8 step overs and some time on the ball to embarrase himself by falling in front of the ref
Seanf24 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
He's definitely very good, but people have quickly forgotten better players.
Ronaldinho for example in his prime was one or two classes over Messi, the reason I am saying this is simply because Ronaldinho had total control of the ball.
He could play with the ball close to his feet or far, not to mention Ronaldinho had a much superior technique and skill, he was dribbling past players not only with ease but with amazing trickery that you could only dream of, meanwhile Messi can only play with the ball close to his feet and not ease past players with amazing trickery.
It obviously takes skill to dribble past any player so I am not taking anything away from Messi, but the spectacular way Ronaldinho dribbled players proves that Ronaldinho was one of the guys superior to Messi.
When Messi dribbles players it's not that spectacular to that of Ronaldinho's, Ronaldo's, Berkamp's and Zidane's technical dribbling abilities.
And this really shows the difference of class.
Plus I am not going to mention the vision, creativity and intelligence of the players I mentioned which Messi lacks.

Cecilialonngren (Barcelona) 2 years ago
YES, Messi is the king. His speed but still have the control of everything else whats going on at the sides and manage to even embarass the best DF.
He is the Kingest of them all considered one of the best
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 2 years ago
How good is Messi? :  Good enough to win the Ballon D'Or trophy for the 3rd time in a row

Kick4Life - changing lives through football