Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Has Wenger's Non-spending Way Payed Off In The Long Run?
NEVERNOTSPURRED (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Arsenal 2-0-0, no money spent, smashing victories so far! Can it last?
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I don't think so. They have have been uncosistant for the last 6 years. Its too early to tell now
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Deffo, way to early
It is very early in the season still. 10 goals in two games is pretty amazing though. Especially without making in big time signings during the transfer period. I guess onlt time will tell
Gavrazor (Manchester City) 4 years ago
I don't think it has, he hasnt been anywhere close to winning anything for a few years, maybe if he didn't sell his best players he would win things
Rexxar (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Sorry, but I have to disagree on this one. Two years ago they were heading straight for the title until the match against Birmingham City where Eduardo picked up his serious injury. They definitely have the qualities of winning something since a few years, but they lacked a bit of quality or experience amongst the subs that had to replace first team-players ruled out due to injuries (Walcott 4-5 months, Fabregas 3 months, Eduardo, Rosicky, ....). If they manage to hold this young team together though, I think it's very likely the're playing for the silver each year
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Absolutely.... If Arsenal can avoid injuries on their big time players, then they definitely have a shot at silverware this season. Otherwise, they need more depth in their squad
Illskillz718 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I'm going to have to agree with Rexxar for the most part on this one. Wenger is in a class all by himself when it comes to his ideals, vision, and practice of developing young players and not spending a lot of money on acquiring them. He takes pride and lots of effort in bringing in young players and molding them into quality footballers. No one can deny this because the proof is displayed on the pitch every week playing in one of the strongest leagues in the world. Think about it, even with Wenger's non-spending policy, Arsenal has been in the top 4 every year. They're always competing in the Champions league among some of the best teams, teams that have incredible buying power who are big time spenders. I see very few managers do what he does and still have that amount of success.

True, they have not won any trophies recently, but they are always contending, which is something Arsenal can boast, compared to a big spender like Man City (although this year might prove different, who knows). Injuries have also plagued Arsenal and have come at really bad times, which hindered their chances at winning it all. One thing I might have to criticize is that Arsenal might need to add a little more depth (especially in terms of numbers) because players will get tired and need rest in this long season
14walcott14 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I doubt it will last  But it's definitely paid off
It will be interesting to see if their success and high scoring fashion will conitinue
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Agreed, they're consistently inconsistent.

I think, if he buys just the one big name/ money transfer, Arsenal will win things. No more than the one though
Illskillz718 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
They will have success, with an occasional bump here or there (especially if there are major injuries); however, I don't think that they will continue their high scoring throughout the season. Their effective passing has made it possible to have good chances at goal so far, but as the long season progresses, there will come times of low scoring, hard-fought matches, and a short dry spell
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Arsenal never needed anything but to be consistent. It's consistency that's killing Arsenal. Wenger knows he didn't need to buy he needed his young inexperienced team to mature and be more consistent
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Well all they need is depth and one or two more players in the starting XI but it is sorta starting to pay of. We will see when they face ManU. I have a feeling Arsenal will be more consistent this year mostly because many players are maturing with 3 years or more in their belt
I think the inexperienced gaining experience will definately bring consistency. We shall see what kind of form they can maintain come this weekend
Nick22590 (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
I think it's paid off big time. If they hadn't been plagued by injuries for the past few seasons, I think they could have nicked one off of United or atleast came in second. And he's running his entire organization with a profit, which he makes off buying players for nothing and selling them once they're world class. He knows what he's doing, and in this day and age of teams that are billions of dollars in debt, he's an absolute genius. Not to mention he does it with style, watching an on-form Arsenal beat up on a crap team is one of the most beautiful things in modern sport
Phearos (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Ya right but if arsenal are to win anything the team must be able to avoid injuries
Derrida (Bristol City) 4 years ago
Its absolutely true, I think that Wenger is an excellent manager and this is coming from a Spurs fan. Truth be told he turns his youth into fantastic players and they really play some cut throat football, the only downside of his spending is that the bench isn't very deep. You look at Chelsea and United, when a player gets hurt they have another top player to slot right in, but for Arsenal its a growing youngster. So if the team stays healthy they have a really good chance but this is football and I don't think its too likely they can go a whole season without getting a few knocks. I think Arsene should comprimise and buy some good solid players that can fill in when injuries hit, there are plenty out there and they don't cost too much. Spurs got Palacios for 12 and after watching the first three this season that's an incredible deal
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Its still way to early to tell, only been a few games. Imo only time will tell it looks like arsenal have found their form and are going great but I'm not sure if they can keep playing like this!

Its half Wenger not spending and its half him being a smart spender! He doesn't like buying players that are too expensive, he musnt think there worth it. However I think that by him being so cautious in the tranfer market means that although they still have a great team, the team is not strong enough to bring success on the big stages

Kick4Life - changing lives through football