Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Guus Hiddink New Turkey Manager
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
A very good choice ffrom hiddink.... Turkey were not the team they used to be in WC 2002 but with hiddink I think they could reach at least quarter finals
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I have to say being an australian and to see what he did with our national team and how well we did in the world cup, I have a lot of respect for the man and believe he is one of the best managers around. I hope he continues to succeed and create a name for himself as one of those magic managers that can bring success to nearly any club or country
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
He has a good chance to gobble up the opposition, if he uses the wings wisely
Sam (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
I can't believe you asked me if their national holiday is Thanksgiving! And no- Iceland is not full of ice either!
Theturkishkop (Galatasaray SK) 4 years ago
Expectations are very high. I was so glad when I heard his name. There were always a rumour about him after Terim's resignation. I am sure he will be successful. He can live his best successes with Turkey. But cruel and stupid Turkish press(not for all, %90) will attack him after every unsuccessfull result with their ignorant and senseless questions and reports
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Don't worry emre, its not just the turkish sports press that's a pain in the ass, he would probably suffer that no matter where he went
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
The turkish press is tough to deal with, but then again hiddink has dealt with it all. One of the most experienced managers in the game. After managing in england, you know how to cope with the media
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I don't think he gives a rat's fart about the press IMO. The guy has been around so much, picking odd jobs that other than being astute, he knows how to handle different people with different expectations. Besides, he isn't one to be scared of the pressure either, even if they were turning the screws on him, he could quit/get fired and there'll be 10 more federations and 5 more clubs queuing up to sign him the next day.

Good luck Turkishkop, you've got a good man at the helm
Theturkishkop (Galatasaray SK) 4 years ago
Thanks mates, I meant we should not miss such a big opportunity this time. People, who heard what Joachim Löw told about Turkish Football Management, will understand me correctly
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
We saw during the euro's just how good turkey can be with a decent manager. With hiddink there, they will certainly do well
Chrisboii (Sligo Rovers) 4 years ago
Turkey are a fairly decent side, as they showedin euro 2008. They have a never say die atitud, put that together with hiddinks ability to be a great tactition and you have yourself a winning formula
Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
That came as a big surprise to me! Guus Hiddink brought lots and lots of great success for chelsea in the FA and champions league, and I think turkey will have more success now, and some other countries may need to be wary of them. Guus Hiddink is a great and successful manager, and brings pride and joy to all of his team
Sam (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
Turkey were pretty good before this hire- this makes them a very very scary team! What is really saddening is that most Juve fans were kinda hoping that Hiddink would wait a little while so that we could make him an irresistable offer at the end of the season.... Now we are going to be mired in another miserable coaching hunt and will end up with someone who can't even hold Hiddink's jockstrap.... Arrghhh!
This is massive for the Turks, they must be beaming with the pedigree of manager they've signed. I think he wanted a job that isn't entirely engaging on a daily basis, the way it works at a club level. What is almost always assured is that Hiddink's teams, no matter who he manages always prove to be one of the fittest bunch of players around and we already know the kind of tactical genius that he is.

He'll get the best out of the players that he has in his disposal and is always a threat to other teams around either big guns blazing or taking the underdog tag. He guaranteed himself instant cult status at Chelsea, chants and people wanting him to stay after the 4 months he had at the club, I hope he comes back as a technical advisor for a behind the scenes role, something he seems to be interested in. Good luck for Guus and the Turks, Turkey is thinking they've struck gold right about now. I would have really liked to see him coach an African team, there were rumours of him linked with Nigeria and Ivory Coast, would have been interesting to see how he well he worked there. Plus he would have covered 4 out of 6 continents
I'm glad he stayed out of club football to be honest, he's one manager that would worry me, should he manage a rival team.
Your right raj about the team fitness, maybe ac milan could do with him, they are well below the fitness levels a top italian team should be.
They were out on their feet after 60 minutes last night against utd
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
He's definitely made another genius decision by sticking with international teams this time around and Turkey is the team that are going to reap the benefits. I think he loves improving the game on a whole more than just coaching for money, even listening to players like Arshavin talk about him gives you the impression that he's an inspiration everywhere he goes.... Watch out for Turkey!

Must be those dutch oranges he makes them eat Tony
You know as well as I do raj, they don't grow oranges in holland.... Lol.
The only things grown in holland is tulips and wacky backy, surely he has'nt got them skinning up..... Lmao
What a coo for turkey to get a manager as good as hiddink, I thought for sure he wanted club football, but apparently not, he seems happy with the international scene.
There will be a few disappointed clubs around the world, who were probably hoping to get the services of gus hiddink.
Great news for turkey
PepeLePewPew (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Turkey certainly has the talent for Hiddink to work with. The turks have always been an uncomfortable opponent often playing on until the very end never giving up. Their spirit and talent make them a threat to any team if they're at their game. Hiddink can certainly improve this squad and I'm confident he has done his homework and already knows a couple of things that he'll improve right away.

A big loss to any other club/squad that was hoping to sign him, but I guess the wages turned them off
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
It has been announced today that Guus Hiddink will take over the reigns as manager of Turkey once his current contract with Russia ends on the 30th June.

This got me thinking, first of all I imagine that Germany, Austria and Belgium are feeling a little less confident over their qualification to Euro 2012 than they were a week ago.

Then I tried to think of a better manager than Guus?

In the end I came to the conclusion that there isn't any. Everywhere he has gone he has brought success above what has been previously expected.

A brief rundown of his CV shows this, he took South Korea to the semi finals of the World Cup, he got Australia to the World Cup finals and through the group phase where they only lost in controversial circumstances to eventual winners, Italy.

With Russia he made it to the 2008 euros at the expense of England and proceeded to get all the way to the semi-finals.

Not to mention all the domestic honours he won with PSV, Real Madrid and Chelsea.

Obviously there are managers that have won more competitions but I can't think of any that have improved nearly every team they have taken control of to the degree Mr Hiddink has
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
He brought success to Chelsea, winning the FA Cup, just as a part-time manager. He is an absolute legend and like you, I can't really think of any better managers in International football in present times than him. He's managed Russia, South Korea, Australia, now even Turkey! I heard rumours that Tugay the former Blackburn midfielder could take over as boss even though he's only 38, but if Guus is interested, no-one is better and he would be a brilliant choice. I can't imagine Turkey shooting to fame but Hiddink is amazing so who knows! Turkey or Russia aren't going to the World Cup though Still, he'll probably still be with them in 4 years :S or at Euro 2012!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football