Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Greatest Dribblers!
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Whom do you consider as the best dribbler, who has the greatest ability to beat defenders? (present time)

For me its Ronaldinho(in his Barcelona glory days!).... IMO he is the correct mixture of pace, ball control and class!

Dukeduke (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I am baffled by how close messi can keep the ball to his feet and make cuts at full speed, ronaldinho's the most entertaining dribbler with the most creativity, I'm not sure see ronaldo knows what he's doing sometimes but he has the quickest moving feet on the ball, right now I say messi
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
In modern time you have to take Messi, the young Argentinian and Barcelona winger, as one of the greatest dribblers of all time. Even though at this point in time, he may not have had his best spell yet, but for his age, he is amazing. His balance is incredible, and he seems quicker on the ball than he is without it. He plays like he is playing total football; He moves into attack, dribbles past defenders out on the wing, and sometimes you even see him passing it in midfield. He has such ability, a mixture of agility, balance, speed and skill, all packed in and that is what makes him such a good dribbler and player. He is good in a lot of positions. And he can shoot, as well!

Ronaldinho could be counted, as could [C.] Ronaldo. I would say, in a whole list, the best dribbler ever to play football was Stanley Matthews, who was officially dubbed "The Wizard of the Dribble". He played for his club until he was like 50, and his national side, England, 'till he was about 42
I gotta' agree with you on messi....  Messi = modern maradona
Ltm017 4 years ago
I have to agree.... Nothing like seeing Messi with the ball.    Plus its funny to watch too
Yes...Look at this Golazo!
He surely is the successor of maradona!

Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
He's also scored a hand of God goal, Maradona really is his idol, and I'm sure he is as good as him. What a goal that was (plus the commentator made it even better)
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
I hate to say this, but this [C.] Ronaldo is amazing. He is just so good with the ball at his feet
He has sky-high skills, but he only uses them to show-off!(just my opinion)
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I second your opinion. Sometimes Ronaldo is just flashing his skills for showboating purpose only...
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Well, there are a lot of good dribblers now and its very hard to choose.
Messi is great, he has pace, close control and good balance.
Dinho was awesome during his barca days but he is no more in the dribblers list.
Ronaldo has fantastic skill, bot for me he is a more of showboat.
Robinho is skilled but lacking strength.

So now the competition, is only between messi and ronaldo. For me Messi wins!
Mohdovais (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Hands up! I completely agree
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Yea I too am going to have to go with messi. Ronaldo is good until he gets past one or two players and then he lets the ball get away from him. Messi seems to have the ball glued to his foot
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
How could I forget quaresma, he is one the stylish player and has a lot of skills. The way he beats defenders is just beautiful. Its a shame he is been wasted by Inter. He should move out of there before its too late.
I wondering why no big club is trying to get him!Anyone knows why?
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 4 years ago
Maybe because when he was at Chelsea he was terrible. Inter Milan was a bad moove for his career. Couldn't get any form thier and then his loan to Chelsea he was hardly even playing but when he was at porto I was thinking he will get a big moove soon. There a quite a few good players in Portugal who are still havnt made a moove
I think he is having a bit of problem with Mourinho!IMO he is the most stylish footballer ever!
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I kinda think he won't ever hit it big with the big clubs after flopping in Barca, Inter and Chelsea.... Among the biggest in the big 3 european league...
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Yea he has some nice highlight reals but during games he's pretty much useless for everything except beating a slow reacting defender. Flashy player, but he's not that quick and he isn't a very good crosser/passer of the ball. Dribbling is nice, but it must be coupled with footballing intelligence and tallent in other area's of the game. Football is not a one dimensional sport afterall
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
No sense me answering this.... Lol
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Currently, the best dribbler is messi.
He is technically gifted and he makes his dribbling quickly.
Me, I loved the style of Zidane. He dribbled slowly and with great class.
Messi has managed many of his dribbling through its acceleration. Zidane dribbled with his inteligente and his vision of football
Zidane is class act!He has given a whole new definition to the 'marseille roulette'!
"Roulette Marseillaise" was fantastic lol  Zidane was great  
Wow!Thanks for the awesome video mate!  Omg!Look at no-3 and no-7.... He is the best!
Yes No 7 is superb. There are only Zidane can do that. He dribbles walking lol
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Zidane is a legend in almost all aspects of the game. In terms of dribbling, he definately is one of the greatest. Ronaldo (el phenomeno) is probably the same as Zidane but in terms of the dribbling he's suprisingly still doing his thing
You're right, Ronaldo was brilliant. But fat ronaldo, messi, cristiano ronaldo is fast so it is easier for them to dribble. Zidane was slow speed! And despite its slow pace he dribbled any player! ! !
Like magic.... He's my mentor when it comes to football. Zidane is one of the few playes in football history that actually changed entire games to his pace. That's the boss right there!
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Iniesta I love his dribble it is just like michael laudrup
Navas is a great dribbler too(today he finnaly played for spain)
Zlatan had great resources to take away defenders or pass the ball
Arshavin is just great
Very good choice, Iniesta plays a little like Zidane, he dribbles slowly. I like his style
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I like ronaldo when he was at united. His dribbling was amazing
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Agreed at dribbling Ronaldo is probably (when he's playing) the best in the world at this time
Messi, Robinho, [C.] Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo (el Phenomeno) are probably the best dribblers right now in football. There's a lot of amazing dribblers all over the world, but right now the players aformentioned go pass defenders like they're not even there and make it worse when players aggressively try to get the ball away from them.... More like embarrassing.

However, I think Messi right now sits on top....

Chrisg (Birmingham City) 4 years ago
For me it's close between Ronaldo and messi. Ronaldo has the fantastic tricks, the quick feet and the scary pace, but the way messi controls the ball is incredible. He keeps the pace high, keeps it simple asnd keeps the ball at his feet. The way he ghosts round and through defenders as if they're just not there is fantastic. Just for the sheer effortless appearance of his skill I say messi is the best dribbler in the world
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I'm going go against the grain and note a player I like to watch turning defenders backwards with his weaving runs even to this day in his late 30's.... Ryan Giggs. That's right I said it. Call me crazy but the man can turn defenders to the point where they've got no clue where the ball is, it's just a lovely thing to see especially from someone of his age. Weaving in and out through defenses, it's pure class. While he doesn't have the flashiest of skills, he's a fantastic attacking dribbler particularly in his youth (note classic Arsenal comeback). Definitely not the best ever, but noteworthy none the less
I agree with that one.... Giggs is pure class, age is nothing but a number with that dude
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Amen. Without a doubt. The way he is charging so fast and just shifts his body a little to the left or right
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
The same thing twice, because once wasnt enough
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
For me it has to be Messi, the way he controls the ball well moving at full speed is mind blowing, that kid must have done nothing but play football when he was young Watching him play in person in Los Angeles gave me a whole different perspective as well, such incredible talent, by far the best player in the world in my opinion.

A player that hasn't been mentioned that deserves a lot more praise then he receives is Joaquin Sanchez. One of the fastest players in the game, I love his style. He can do this move which is almost like a fake Cruijff, but he does this move at full speed, it's one of my favorite moves of all time. He is running at the defenders with incredible pace, acts like he is going to cut inside with a Cruijff touch, then puts it back on his right side with his right boot and continues down the sideline, the defender has no chance. It's like a cross between the Cruijff and the snake that Ronaldinho does so much
One of my favorite wingers, great video as well, the flamenco guitar is very cool

Yombe10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I have nobody in particular to mention, but why don't people try and pick the less well-known players. Messi, Ronaldo, etc, we all know how well they play. But state someone we don't know as well; fuel some curiosity
Wow Yombe I haven't seen you on here in quite some time I agree with you about picking more obscure players, almost everyone has mentioned Messi haha, but that's because he deserves to be mentioned this many times. This is the reason I chose Joaquin, although back in the day he was a very well known player, the golden boy of Spanish football, now he is not so well known and doesn't really play for Spain anymore.

As for a new one to mention that some people may not know, to stir up a little curiosity is Mohamed Zidan, world class player, he is from Egypt and believe he currently plays for Hamburg. Some of his moves in tight spaces are pretty incredible
Here is a video of Mohamed Zidan

So alot of people also said Jesus Navas, but think, the Sevilla good midfield won't be completed with out the left-wing. Which is Diego Capel, his dribbling is just brilliant. He is just 21 and still have a long career ahead and he is such brilliant. Look at this from a run, but he is just too unlucky to not find the target.

Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Capel is good but he is fast but he is a little too messy playing, Perotti took his place at the starting 11 at sevilla but if he clears up his game he could have a great future
Yeah, he didn't perform upto his form last season
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Magnificent, both of the players you guys put up are really good.
And in response to me not being on for a while, my high school's football(soccer) season just finished a couple weeks ago. During the season I'd get home around 9, eat dinner, try to do some homework, and then pass out around 11. I had no time for footy!
Haha nice, well it's good to see you back on How did your season go?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football