Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Forwards Vs. Strikers
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I've done some research with Mr. Google's help, and I've come to the conclusion that there really is no right answer to this question.

Is there a difference between a striker and a forward, or are they just variations of the name for the same position?

(I have my own opinion about this but I would like to hear others' opinions first!)
[account-removed] 2 years ago
I guess it is quite easy to use the two words interchangeably. If I were to really get into terminology, I'd say a forward is someone who focuses mostly on attack and helps out very little (or not at all) in defence, while a striker is one who takes the final hit on the ball to try and score a goal more often than the rest of his teammates and gets fed with the ball as much as possible.

This isn't a perfect answer or even accurate, but that's what the voice inside my head says. Might be time to check my helmet for cracks
HaRdCoReMaN (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Forwardrogba  Striker=Torres.  That's it, lol.  Hard to explain tbh
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
Picking roles from Football Manager series, I would say that apart from Poacher and Advance Forward, everything else should falls under Forward
Innoxious (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Based from dictionary

Forward - An attacking player in basketball, hockey, or other sports.
So I think players positioned in the final third is considered as "forward"

Striker - The player who is to strike the ball in a game; a player considered in terms of ability to strike the ball.
This probably means players who are very good in finishing. Typically people will call them "poacher" like Chicharito, Owen, Inzaghi

I think "forward" is the more general term for players who focus on attacking while "striker" is for players who really good in finishing and scoring goal
RouslanH (Chelsea) 2 years ago
A centre forward is player who focuses on attack, while creating chances and also scoring goals. They should also be good at receiving passes and holding up the ball so team mates can advance up the pitch. A typical centre forward should also be strong (like heskey lol). As you say you are a man utd fan, I will use man utd players for examples. Wayne Rooney is playing as a forward now, and its pretty effective for man utd.

A striker is a player who also focuses on attack, with the main purpose of scoring goals and getting to the end of chances. They should have pace, a bit of flair, and most importantly shot accurately and confidently. A type of striker is a goal poacher, who is known for their goal scoring ability and movement inside the penalty box. Chicharito is a great example of a poacher.

Other notable forwards: Shearer, Les Ferdidand

Other notable strikers: Henry, Hasselbaink, Drogba
BeefCurtains (Limerick) 2 years ago
"just variations of the name for the same position"    This
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 2 years ago
A striker is a man with a mission. A forward runs and runs and creates and scores. Both are something to be scared of

Kick4Life - changing lives through football