Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Football, Soccer, Footy- Do You Care What It Is Called?
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I live in a country where football is called "soccer", and football is also called.... Well, football (american football).

I have called it soccer before, and I have called it football. I have been in some discussions about this on team forums and such, so I'd like to hear some opinions.

My question is- Do you care what people call the beautiful game? Are you of the opinion that "football" is the absolute right name for the sport, or are you lenient in what it is called, and why?
Tenzpas (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I don't think the name really matters much. People should understand that there's no problem if two games have the same name, at least I don't have a problem.

But I have seen these football-soccer discussions all over youtube and many other forums. It is pretty funny actually. They go from the name to talking about how an american football player can kick a football players butt because they're strong and everything. Haha.

The only thing I don't like is people criticising the other sport. I mean if you don't like any one of them, don't watch it right. Why compare and try to bring the other one down?

Also, about your question, I think "football" is an apt name for soccer as you are basically just playing the game with your legs. So I would still call it football and I wouldn't mind soccer too. But, I still cannot figure out why American football is called football at all. Maybe someone can tell me why. I watch the game but theres hardly any "foot" involved. I think its old name "Gridiron" should be better.
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Origin of the name "soccer"

Link: www.soccer-fans-info.com/origin-of-the-word-soccer...

American football originated from a form of rugby or gaelic football, which was called, well "football". The name just evolved and the game developed from there.

The word "soccer" was in fact the most common way of referring to association football in the UK until around the 1970s, when it began to be perceived incorrectly as an Americanism
Darkinja (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
I think one reason of the whole 'soccer' debacle is a ridiculous combination of Americans in the past not caring about 'football/soccer' which is not the case inside the last decade and as of now, and the way they say it, with the accent it's like heavy emphasis on the "O" which makes it sound like' Sawwwcer" which to british english speakers in GB and commonwealth nations sounds really weird... Then the whole prejudice toward NFL by the fact they throw the ball more than they kick so how can you logically title it football, rather than 'Gridball' just for an example. It should not matter what the sport is called just realise whagt environment you're in and know in yourself that you're not in you're own linguistic zone, but Americans can never call it football, that name is for their American Football, and that's for infinity. So British and former colonial countries just have to accept that's what they call it. I personally say football. Or "nogomet' in my own language but If I was in North America I would just adjust my words to suit the environment. No problem
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 3 years ago
The main reason there is any debacle is because American split from Britain.... They wanted everything to be different. End of story, its just pride
Kolja (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
It is called football....
On the other side there is american football which is a different sport, and whose name is not football, but "american football".... And that's a big difference....
But I understand that people in the USA people call it soccer, and american football - football, since they use it more, and don't want confusion with the sports having the same name.... Something like using America in stead of you. S. A.
But I hate it when people say soccer.... I just like the word football
3 years ago
Depends on who I am talking to and in which environment, to ensure that we both understand to which game we are referring.

Football to an American means American Football, to the Irish means GAA, to an Aussie AFL etc etc.

Also, most bookies from around the world refer to it as soccer. Soccer is fine by me
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
From a logical perspective obviously football is the best name for the game, as you play with a ball on your foot. However I grew up calling the game soccer(which I will teach my kids otherwise so the name doesn't really matter to me. I still say football all the time, with my friends, and people who I know like American football to make the point that football for that game makes not very much sense, while for real football it makes perfect sense. It's always in good spirits though, then it will turn to which game is better where it may become more intense haha. I just really don't like American football while I love real football, so I have a huge biased.

I think just about everyone around the world recognizes both names though, so I don't think it matters that much. Most cultures will react better if you say "football" or some variation there of, but I think they will understand what you mean if you say soccer. And if you are passionate about it and will play the game with them, I don't think anyone would care
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
I'm staying in a country now that differentiate footy(AFL) and footy(soccer/football). Well, when I talk to them, I gotta' be sure what footy they are chatting about.

Otherwise, Footy, soccer, football or whatever names you call it, if it still means the same game, it doesn't matter. Its still the best sports on earth
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
In North America they call it soccer. If you say 'football' they'll assume you're talking about the NFL. I think they also use the word 'soccer' in Australia.

Anyways football is 'football'
Lumileppardi (Swansea City) 3 years ago
This is a rather interesting article I read a while ago:

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_footba...
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
So for the English-speaking country we have this map:

And the Population of India surpasses the english speaking world LOL Football it is
NYRBforever (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
I live in the United States and I have always been a fan of adopting the local customs. I grew up in America calling the game soccer. I wish that soccer was refered to as football and American football was referred to as something else(love both sports, go Jets), but that's the way it is. Yet, when I spent 2 months in Europe last summer, I always referred to it as football. I also normally refer to the beautiful game as football on footytube because of the international nature of the site
I prefer to hear FOOT in the beautiful games name
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
Football is an English sport and should be called by its right name in the English language. (Even other languages have the term correctly; futbal, fotball, fodbold, fotboll etc....)
In New Zealand/Australia they for some reason call rugby football/footy and have adopted the American term soccer
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
It really doesn't matter what football called but it's called soccer because the Americans have their own sport NFL in which the ball is barely kicked. Thank god I live in a place where both words are used
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
I like to use the word "football", although it pisses of some of my friends. Hahahaha
BagiK (FC Seoul) 3 years ago
I used to live in a country where it's called 축구 so America isn't the only country where it's not called football. I hear people all the time that say "it's call football everywhere else except the states", but that's not true. In my opinion it's just a silly argument made up to make fun of those "dumb americans". But I do call it football when with my non american friends, it's the more international term
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
I alternate what I call it. Being from Canada you have to be a bit selective with your words.

For instance, I'll never post on my facebook "Football at 5 @ the field" and expect people to come and play soccer. Just silly
Lifeguard 3 years ago
Yeah, no one in Canada calls it football ever - we have two types of football we're familiar with, CFL and NFL. Even the league here uses soccer, not football - MLS: Major League Soccer

Kick4Life - changing lives through football