Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Football Quiz
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Which team has conceeded the most goals in the World Cup?    Edit: I mean over their entire WC history, so not Saudi Arabia
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Saudi Arabia? I remember Germany beating them about 10-0, they must have conceded a few that tournament!
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Serbia and Montenegro? Argentina destroyed them in the 2006 world cup
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Are you talking about one tournament one game or all time here Ayyam? If all time I would guess Brasil because they are the only country to have been represented every tourney
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
I'd be amazed if it was Brazil, even though they must have the most games played. Belgium has been at nearly every WC as well (usually didn't get that far though), and I'd say we've already conceded more. So my bet for this proud honour of most goals conceded lies with my own Belgium
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
I'm going to go with a team with an easier route to the WC than most and say Mexico or Australia
Sam (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
It would be easy to go with Saudi Arabia but I don't think that it is one of these countries that has a relatively short footballing history. The more a team has played, the more goals they have conceded I would surmise.... So I'll go with France or Portugal...
All-time guys. Sammo is on the right track
Perhaps in between France and Portugal? Spain?
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Well, up until the 2006 WC, Belgium had been in every single one of them. A record they held with only Brazil back then. So that's why I guessed it was Belgium who have conceded the most, but I guess it isn't then.

Russia/USSR?
Holland? There is a reason why they are a great team yet don't win
Luqmaank (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Portugal
I'm assuming that neither France nor Portugal is right.... I know it might be counter-intuitive given their historically stingy defences but I will go with Italy (as much as it hurts) or Germany, only on account of how many times they have participated in the tournament...
How about England. We are kind of dirtying up the great teams in the world but haven't mentioned the over-rated lions?
Name the only manager to have been a runner-up in all three major UEFA club competitions, namely Champions League, UEFA Cup (Europa) and the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (which was later absorbed into the UEFA Cup)
Marcello Lippi?
Decent guess, but no...
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Sir alex?
Guus Hiddinck?
Sorry, little addendum to the question.... He has finished runner-up in all 3 competitions but never WON any of them
HaRdCoReMaN (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Avram grant?
Wenger?
Grant was possibly the worst answer given....    Erm.... Wenger....  
Correct answer goes to TheBarcaShow- Arsene Wenger. He was runner-up in the European Cup winners Cup in 1992 with Monaco; finished runner-up in the UEFA Cup in 2000 with Arsenal; and was runner-up in the Champions League in 2006, again with Arsenal, against Barcelona
I really didn't know about the UEFA cup one but I knew about Monaco, 2/3 sounded good for me
Prior to their move to the Allianz Arena in 2006, Bayern Munich called the Olympiastadion (Olympic Stadium) home. Such was their dominance at their old home that only ONE English team managed to beat them there. Name the team
Liverpool
I am guessing its not a top 4 team. Newcastle? :S
Neither of the above.... And yes, you would be right about it not being a "top 4" club
Everton
Blackburn? I am guessing that since they are one of the few English clubs to have been in Europe in the past decade
Agree with Ayyam, I think it might be Everton
None of the above.... I think this answer will surprise a bunch of you...
Bolton. I remember ricardo gardner scoring against them when bolton played in europe
Not Bolton either- Gardner's goal was scored at the Allianz Arena in 2007
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Nottemham Forrest
Peteko 3 years ago
I know Aston Villa beat Bayern 1-0 in the final of 1982, but that was not in Germany
Peteko 3 years ago
It was probably a friendly
I got it but I had to research, so I won't say, it was surprising but I remember it!
It wasn't a friendly mate, keep guessing!
Tottenham
Swansea. QPR Northhampton. Norwich
I had to look it up too. If it helps any it happened in the UEFA Cup
Peteko 3 years ago
When I started watching European football, Ipswich were big in Europe. I wonder if they did the historic damage. (At this point I am reduced to guessing. Lol)
Call it a fortunate guess, call it divine intervention.... One of you actually guessed the right answer without knowing. Kimway17 actually had the right answer among his 4 guesses.

Correct answer- Norwich City, who won there (like TheBarcaShow pointed out) during the UEFA Cup in 1992-93.

Just doing my part in trying to put Norwich back on the map.... Wish them well in their campaign this year
Nice!
FutureMUplayer (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Since when does EURO championship exists?
Off the top of my head I think it's the 1970's!
You are close but nope it happened earlier
HaRdCoReMaN (Chelsea) 3 years ago
1960?
1968 then, that's pretty close to my last guess!
1960 is the correct answer
Members of the now-defunct G-14 group had won the Champions League 41 of the 51 times it had been played prior to the group's dissolution in 2008.

Name the only non-member teams to have won more than 2 champions league titles.
Nottingham Forrest, and i'll guess at Borussia Dortmund maybe?
Probably Nottingham but I'll take another guess with PSV
Correct answers: Benfica in 1960-61, 1961-62 and Nottingham Forest in 1978-79 and 1979-1980
I am a manager in the EPL, I am one of the youngest players ever to obtain the UEFA 'A' license, I used to be Harry Redknapp's assistant and I have a son who plays professionally, who am I?
Tony pulis?
Bang on Somere! That didn't take long!
Stoke is a team I follow so I know a bit about the manager
Behind Sir Alex and Arsene Wenger, who is the longest tenured manager at their club in the Premier League? How long has he held his current position?
David Moyes, can't think of anyone else
David Moyes 9 years
Has to be David Moyes cannot think of anyone else too
Peteko 3 years ago
I have just finished reading Dalglish autobiography. Bill Shankly was manager of Liverpool from 1959 to 1974. That means 15 years. So, I'd say Bill Shankly
Good answer Peteko, he doesn't say "current" manager of a team!
Smart answer. BUT Shankly managed in the first division not the premier league. So wrong
Gotta' love the debate that this forum sparks. Good point raised by Kimaway- my question did in fact state "Premier League" and as such, the correct answer is David Moyes, who has been at the helm at Everton since March 2002.... Given the number of managerial changes since that time, he definitely deserves credit for being able to last that long
Yeah sometimes you have to think outside the box though, so was a admirable effort Peteko, wrong all the same though! Lol
Peteko 3 years ago
Hahahaha thanks GreatScot.  Moyes would have been the easy answer. Now I think that Sam changed it for spite, Can't trust those mods. Lol.
No malice intended Peteko, trust me. I'll work to be clearer in the future, seeing as we have some outside-the-box thinkers!
Name the two players that managed to win the World Cup as a player and a coach?
Franz Beckenbauer is one don't know the other
The other one is a Brazilian try to guess who
Mario Zagallo.... True legend
Correct Sam Beckenbauer and Zagallo won the world as players and coaches
Which two players that played in most world cup tournaments?
Luthar Matthaus I want to say, maybe Paolo Maldini? Uwe Seeler and Pele are up there as well
Matthaus is correct and there is another one and I will give you a guess he is Mexican
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
Antonio Carbajal  
Well done Jesuriya Antoni Carbajal is the right answer and Matthaus of course!
Name the player who managed to play for both Milan's teams and both El Classico teams?
Mourinho(if it counts he was an assistant)
s**t he did not manage AC Milan. Nvm that answer
Pretty easy. Ronaldo
I was talking about footballers not managers but still good try
Ronaldo phenomeno
Right on the mark TheBarcaShow I know it wasn't a very challenging question
Ronaldo
How many times has a Brasilian won the golden ball in the WC? Try and name them.

Who scored the goal against England in the 1950 World Cup to help the USA win 1-0? And who also was the goalkeeper?

What's the pub outside of Craven Cottage near the Thames River called in honor of this player, a former captain?
I'm only doing the first one.  1998: Ronaldo  1982: Zico  Pele Garincha
1: Ronaldo, Zico, Pele, and maybe Garrincha and Romario?    2: I really don't know    3: Micheal Jackson?
Lol Michael Jackson wasn't a player and a captain at all lol
The pub is called McBride's I believe- heard this story on a documentary that they did on McBride last year- one of the best football exports from the USA
MUplayer, I was kidding about Michael jackson if you couldn't tell lol
I know you were kidding everybody knows who Michael Jackson is!
On the money Sam, nice Ya it is really cool they would name a pub after Brian, he is a legend at Fulham
Joe Gaetjens is the player who scored against England in 1950. He was born in Haiti and sounds like a class act. Tragically he was killed in Port-Au-Prince at age 40. The goalkeeer was Frank Borghi sounds like he made some top notch saves to get a shutout
Who is the only player in World Cup history to score a goal in every single match?
I mean group stages and finals no qualifiers
Jaizinho or Garrincha. Get both of them mixed up
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Juste Fontaine or Gerd Muller
Fontaine
Jairzinho is correct! He managed to score 7 goals and a goal in each game
I was one of the best players in the world cup in 1982.

I scored 3 stunning goals against Scotland, USSR and Argentina.

Who am I?
OO I am trying to rack my brain on this one, Brasil had an amazing team during that WC but I don't think they played all of those teams.... Hum, ah something just clicked in my head. There was an amazing Peruvian? Or Chilean player who scored an amazing free kick against Scotland and I think he may have scored against USSR as well, but for my life I couldn't tell you his name
Zico
You are wrong Donnchadh about Brazil and that's also my clue to the answer
I didn't think it was Brasil I was just saying they had a great team. I think it is someone from Peru or Chile, cheers on the question though good one. Zico scored against New Zealand in that WC with a bicycle I know that. Josimar scored against Northern Ireland, I know it isn't a Brasilian, Peruvian or Chilean
Its a Brazilian player who isn't very well known but he was a big star in the World Cup in 1982
Oh it is a Brasilian? Well than I am stumped my friend haha, let me think on it though, is it Eder, he scored some crackers in that tournament. I think in my above answers I have been mixing up the 78 and 82 WC haha, this Chilean or Peruvian guy I think was in that tourney. Sorry about the mix up, but ya I will guess Eder, he has a goal in the 50 greatest goals which I think is from that tournament where someone dummies it too him, he sets himself up for a volley on his first touch and then hits it into the corner. Best guess I have
You got it Donnchadh Eder is the man! He could do anything he wanted in that tournament scoring cracking goals and I would never forget the one against the USSR it was sick!
Peteko 3 years ago
Zico was my first hunch too. But Eder was quite often on the mark. And when I hear Brazilian star in 1982 (and there were so many stars in that wonderteam) I always think of Socrates. What a great guy.

By the way, I checked and found no player who have scored against these three teams. You may have got one of them wrong
The one against Argentina is wrong but the other ones are correct sorry about that
I started my career as a futsal player.
I went on to make over 100 appearances for my country.
I played in 3 World Cups and won one.
I also participated in the now-defunct World Cup of Masters and won the trophy during my only appearance.
I was amongst the players named by Pelé as the 125 Greatest Living Footballers.
I went on to enjoy a successful career as a commentator and coach.
Who am I?
Just giving a guess is that Zico?
Finally a question that stumped even FutureMUplayer! Nope, not Zico!
That's a tough one
Just a shot in the dark - Rivaldo?
Good guess but it isn't Rivaldo either
Perhaps Dunga? Maybe
Maradona
Yep should be Dunga just can't think of anyone else
Maybe Maradona but he wasn't a very successful manager as we all remember
Correct answer: Rivelino aka Patada Atómica (Atomic Kick) - another legend out of Brazil. He even has an amateur football team based in Fulham named after him. They play in the Wimbledon and District League. They even play in the yellow and blue of Brazil; Rivelino's club motto is to "live the dream"
Couldn't think of him but I remember this name good question Sam, it was very challenging!
Is this the guy with the banana shot or something? I remember watching a short about a Brazilian who broke his leg when he was younger so one leg was a little longer than the other and that is why he could pull off an insane amount of curve on the ball
@TheBarcaShow: I think you might be referring to Garrincha, but I'd have to do some research to confirm
There have been fewer than 20 players to have made 100 or more Champions League appearances (including qualifying games). Can you name the only player from Brazil, Italy, Germany and France respectively to make this distinguished list
Maldini, Henry, Roberto Carlos and Oliver Kahn
Correct on all four.... Guess it was easier than I thought...
Maldini played for Milan more than 20 years, Henry has been playing for Champions league teams for more than 10 years, I remember Roberto Carlos playing in champions league in 1995 already and couldn't think of anyone else but Kahn for Germany but it was a little challenging good question
Maldini, roberto carlos, thuram or henry, oliver khan

Kick4Life - changing lives through football