Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Football Quiz
FutureMUplayer (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Which player has the most premier league appearances in the history?
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
David James I am pretty sure
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Giggs
Ryan Giggs is the correct answer!
I am a retired Dutch player.

I've spent most of my career in England.

I am in the top 10 goalscorers of the English Premier League history.

Who am I?
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Berkamp is it?
Nope but a very good try
Ruud Van Nistelrooij I would guess
Ruud
Nice try but nope
Hum this one really has me stumped I have been thinking for a minute on it. Let me try and rack my brain and get the wheels spinning. Nothing is coming to me I will have to look it up and that means I can't guess anymore here of course
Luqmaank (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Is it Gullit
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I can only think of one other. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank
Kimaway17 you are correct its Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank
Yes!
Nice one Kimaway, ya I looked it up, didn't even know Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank was Dutch, it doesn't sound Dutch at all to me, but good for you for getting it Kimaway, awesome
Which club had the lowest goal difference in UEFA Champions Legaue group stages?
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Zilna or the Israeli club, can't think of its name
Hint: Its a Russian team
Rubin Kazan? Or Zenit
Nope
Spartak Moscow? CSKA Moscow?
CSKA Moscow
Spartak Moscow is the correct answer! Well done TheBarca Show!
When you name all of the big Russian clubs its hard to get it wrong
Which club scored the most goals in UEFA Champions League Group Stages?
For the above question as well.... Is this a one season thing or overall?
A one season
I want to say Arsenal
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I'll say real madrid or Tottenham, they scored alot last season didn't they? A naive guess, but a guess none the less
Real Madrid and Manchester United
Rockerr (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Arsenal
Manchester United is the correct answer! They scored 20 goals in 98-99 season in the group stages
I was thinking a team which had won all of their group matches would've been a better guess. Arsenal scored 18 or something last season though
Tottenham scored 18 as well, so I guess I was close
1. I played for Milan, Bari, Sampdoria and Real Madrid-Cassano
2. Real Madrid bought me from Portsmouth in 2008-Lassana Diarra
3. I am Inter Milan's Number 11-Alvarez
4. I joined Man United from Bourdeaux in 2009-Obertan
5. I am a Moroccan Striker who plays in the premier league-Chamakh
6. I am nicknamed El Matador
7. I joint Rubin Kazan from Wolfsburg in 2010-Martins
8. I was loaned to Nacional, Zaragoza and Rio Ave before returning back to my club Benfica-Coentroa
9. I missed my peanalty against Italy in Euro 2008
10. I joint Real Madrid from Borussia Dortmund on May 2011-Nuri Sahin
2.)Lass Diarra  3.)Cambiasso?  4.)Obertan  6.)Llorente? Or Joaquin Sanchez  10.)Sahin
Number 2, 4 and 10 are correct, good work Donnchadh
1. Casanno 5. Chamak 6. Iker Casillas or chicarito? 7. Oh Martins 8. Coentroa
3. Coutinho?  6. Milito?  9. I know it was Cesc Fabregas who scored the last one if that is worth anything
Everytime there is a right answer, I will post them next to the question
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
3) Seeing as Eto'o is the number 9, maybe Milito is the number 11?
6) Unless a younger player is also nicknamed that, it's the great Mario Kempes. Who was also nicknamed 'the bull' strangely enough.
9) Spain and Italy drew in the first knock-out round, and so had to rely on penalties. But who missed a PK for Spain (if someone did), I don't know.
10) Nuri Sahin. Damn you Madrid
Inter's number 11 is that new guy. Alvarez
There are only 3 goal keepers to have scored in the Champions League. Only 1 of them have scored from open play. Can you name them?
Is Hans-Jorg Butt one?
Butt is one, Enyeama is one, and the one in fair play was from a header on a free kick late in the match, I believe either last year or the year before. He played for Olympiacos I think but I couldn't tell you his name
   :)
I knew that! I watched that with friends at the pub, and we all bursted out in celebration
Sam (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Hahaha, I remember that Sinan Bolat goal and I remember laughing so hard when he scored and went on his sprint celebration- just uninhibited joy!
Hahaha so awesome I do remember the goal and the celebration and that it was a cracking header. But obviously my details were all wrong, I even said fair play instead of open play
It is one of the largest stadiums in Europe.
It is the only stadium to have hosted a World Cup final and a Rugby World Cup final.
It has also hosted 2 Champions League finals.
It also has the 2 largest screens for a staduim located in Europe.
Name the stadium
Stade de France? I know for a fact it has hosted a WC final and a Rugby WC final.... Oh and Barca lifted the champions league trophy there
Yep, gotta' be the Stade. I drove past it twice when going and returning from my recent holiday. Always impressive to see a towering stadium on your way
It is indeed the Stade de France.... Would like to just get a 2 month European holiday and make a football pilgrimage to all the great venues
That would be amazing! I am certainly excited to see how Juve's new stadium is going to be
There are a handful of teams that have won all their games in the group stages of the Champions League. Conversely, there are a number that have gone on to lose all 6 games in the group stage.
However there is only ONE team that has drawn all 6 games in the group stage. Name the team
Nice question! I will guess FC Basel, it has as much chance as any other team
Gatalasray
Both good guesses but incorrect...
Rangers? Celtic? Panathanaikos? Zenit St Petersburg?
AEK Athens 2002-2003 season!
And the spoils go to FutureMUplayer with the right answer- AEK Athens have the weird honor of having gone through the entire group stage without win or loss, drawing all 6 times
It really is weird and kind of funny because how can you draw all the 6 games?
I was close. Panathanaikos wasn't too far off
1. I joined Milan from Lazio in 2002.

2. I won the Dutch League with PSV Eidhoven 4 times before joining Barcelona in 2011

3. I am a paraguayan footballer who won the champions league with Bayern Munich in 2001

4. I am a Real Madrid player who use to play for Benfica and Rosario Central

5. I won the PFA Fans Player of the Year 2010/11 award

2: Afellay    4: Di Maria    5: Bale
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
1. Nesta
1. Nesta  2. Afellay  3. Santa Cruz  4. Di Maria  5. Bale
Kimaway17's first 4 answers are correct, keep trying on the last one its not bale
Fans player of the year? Hum Chicarito or Scotty Parker
Good guess but its wrong, sorry Donnchadh
The clue is that he is a portuguese player
Got to be Nani than
Good try but wrong  
I am 100% certain that it is Gareth Bale Luq. Should've been Kompany, but hey, I don't decide So unless you're confused with Ronaldo winning it twice when he was still at United, you're the one that is wrong

Edit: my bad: I was thinking of the more known player's player of the year. The only Portuguese players left in the EPL are Nani, Bosingwa and Meireles iirc.

So Meireles? Guess the billions of Liverpool fans must've been a little too enthused by him
Bebe obviously. He was so instrumental and was such a steal for 8 million euros? (Pounds?)
Oh YA. It was Bale
Oh YA. It was Meireles
Oh YA. It was Meireles
Sorry for the 3 posts  
Four actually
It was Obertan I'm sure of it
The correct answer is meireles  
Which nationality players have appeared the most number of times in the champions league finals?
Spanish or Dutch I'd say
No sire!
French
Italian
Spanish
Italian
Pragathish is asking this.... So it must be italian lol
Right, Italian it is, whatever logic you used to figure that.... Grr!
Italian players have appeared the most number of times (91 I think), Spanish being second. (69 I think)

Yep I was right!
Who captained the Netherlands in their 1988 Euro championship victory?

Who was top scorer in the 86 WC?

There are 6 players who won the golden ball who only played in one World Cup tournament try and name them
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
1. Ronald Koeman  2. Maradonna  3. Tough one.... I'd say Van Basten, Messi, Sheva, Keegan, Rivaldo, Eusebio
Sorry I should clarify that I am not talking about the balon d'or awarded by the french magazine but the Golden Ball awarded at each World Cup tournament for the best player. Forlan in 2010 Zizou in 2006 etc. So Eusebio is one, you got that one but there are five to go and Koeman and Maradona are good guesses but incorrect
I am going to guess Holland's goalkeeper or Rijkaard.

No idea for 86 since it was Maradona's WC.

Not a clue with Golden Ball's question. The great players I know aren't one hit wonders
Captain of Holland: Guilit  Top Scorer in 86: Maradona  Golden Ball: Eusebio Italy's top scorer in 1990(whats his name) and that's all I no
Baggio?
Nice Kimaway ya it was Ruud who captained Holland in the 88 Euro. Maradona though he seems the obvious answer isn't correct. Eusebio is one, there is another one that I am surprised no one has gotten and Kimaway is on the right track with an Italian in 1990 as well as another Italian in 82. The other two are old school
Top scorer for the Azzurri in Italia 90 was Toto Schillaci (one-hit wonder) and I believe for the '82 World Champions, it was Rossi...
Ya nice Sam, and there is one more I would expect everyone to get haha, I will say a clue that will give it all away total football epitomized. The other two are old school and wouldn't expect anyone to know.

As for the leading goalscorer in 86 I will just say that the golden boot winner scored a goal against Diego Maradona's Argentina
Ahh! Isn't it the player that crapped his pants(shorts technically)? He played for England but I can't remember the guys name
Hahaha! It's funny how you said English and pooped his pants, and I immediately knew the answer! LMAO! Golden boot winner 86 would be Gary Lineker, although the pooping episode, I believe, was during WC '90.... It just so happened that, at the time of the incident, he was playing for Spurs, which for a Gooner could not have been more convenient! The jokes literally write themselves!
Gary Lineker is correct, I have never heard of this shite in the pants incident poor guy, during the WC? Haha kind of funny though, I remember I was watching my cousin run a marathon and we saw this girl run past us with dookie running all down the back of her legs. It was pretty gnarly but we were laughing about it and she was still running I think she finished. I had gone for a little run with my cousin, who just ran his first mega marathon recently, and he told me you always got to take your pregame shizah hahaa
By the way Cruijff is the golden ball winner I thought every one would know, he won it in 74 the only year he ever played in the WC. Zizinho is another one, who only played in the 1950 WC, and the last one is a Uruguayan defender and captain from the first WC in 1930, can't remember his name, it sounds very Italian
1. Name the 2 coaches to have coached FIVE different teams at the World Cup.

2. Name the only player who has had the honor of having played in two FIFA World Cup final matches with two different national teams. (Google anyone? This one is tough!)
Hmm.... Hiddink? I think he is only at 4 currently unless Turkey has already qualified.    No clue about this one
I determined it was Luis Monti for the second one. I don't know for the first one (but I bet wikipedia would tell you)
I read this somewhere. It was this Italian dude. Played for Italy and then like change his passport to be Brazilan. Forgot his name though
1. Guus Hiddink and?    2. Mauro Camoranesi I think
Luis Monti is the correct answer for the second question. He was an Italian Argentine defender; he played in the 1930 final with his native Argentina, losing to Uruguay, and then played in the 1934 final with Italy, winning against Czechoslovakia.

The 2 coaches I was looking for are:
- Bora Milutinović, who coached five different teams at five different World Cups: Mexico (1986), Costa Rica (1990), USA (1994), Nigeria (1998), and China (2002)
- Carlos Alberto Parreira, who coached five different teams at six different World Cups: Kuwait (1982), UAE (1990), Brazil (1994 and 2006), Saudi Arabia (1998) and South Africa (2010)
I share my name with a current football star. In my day I was considered one of the best central/left midfielders in the game, having won the Ballon d'Or in 1960, the silver ball in 1961 and 1964, and the bronze ball in 1965.
Given that this ego-trip isn't actually written by me, but rather by an obsessive fan of a certain Catalan club, you can already guess where I played. But after my spell with the best club in the world ever (you know it ), I moved to another big club in a different nation and became the most expensive player up until that time there. I've won numerous trophies there as well. I am now still a scout in this club
Luis Suarez, didn't know he was still at Inter though
Has to be Luis Suarez
It is. I guess I made it a bit too easy with the data?
Haha well.... The first clue gave it away quickly.... Ballon d'Or and Barca were enough for me to guess Luis Suarez anyways
We all remember Eto'o winning the champions league in 2009 with Barca and then getting traded to Inter and winning the same tournament in 2010. Turns out that only 4 players have won the Champions League in two consecutive seasons with two different teams. Name the other 3
Gerrard pique can't rememeber the rest
Pique-Manchester United 2008 Barcelona 2009  And that is all I know
Man this one is tough Sam haha you always come up with some good ones. I'll guess Hernan Crespo but that's just a shot in the dark. Maybe Clarence Seedorf
Crespo has never won the UCL
Touchee
On invitation of Sammo himself, I'll happily join this football knowledge feast!

I was inclined to say Clarence Seedorf is one of the other two. He won it with Ajax, AC Milan and Real Madrid, but all of those he won in very different years. Proof he's been a constant top quality player, but that's no answer to the question.

After digging deep, and thinking of the teams who have won it since the champions league began, I came up with the great Marcel Desailly, who won it with Marseille (when my fellow Belgian Raymond Goethals was their coach) and Milan. Then there's Paulo Sousa, with BVB (those were the days) and Juve before that. This question isn't by any chance a reminder that Juve used to be any good, is it Sam?
Good job Jeroen! You nailed the remaining TWO:
Marcel Desailly—Marseille 1993 and Milan 1994
Paulo Sousa — Juventus 1996 and Borussia Dortmund 1997
Gerard Piqué — Manchester United 2008 and Barcelona 2009

And yes, I had to include a Juve reference.... We will be great again! Just watch this space!
Peteko 3 years ago
Interesting. This quiz is not only entertaining but also educative. Thanks guys
Nice J! Awesome to see you on this section, I think you will do work in it
Thanks Sam & Dunc. I replied to your 2-week old question about Cruijff a few pages further too. I just haven't had the time to read more than the Barça chat lately, but now that the season has kicked off again, I'll happily spend some time here
Name the only player to have been sent off for 3 different teams in the Champions League
Ruud?
I dunno, Anelka?
Ibra? Or Mark Van Bommel
Van Bommel seems to be the logical answer, as Duncan said
All very decent guesses, esp van Bommel, but alas, none are correct
Peteko 3 years ago
Is he still playing?
Peteko 3 years ago
OK. I found it. But because I searched for it in internet instead of knowing it, I will not write it here. I believe in fair-play
Thuram? Davids? I don't really have any clue    Lol at the irony in your comment Peteko
I've got a feeling this isn't going to be your average all-star the likes of Thuram or Davids, but rather a lesser known player. Maybe Ibrahimovic?

Edit: I just realize that it seems I implied I don't consider Ibra on the same level as Thuram and Davids. And hell, I don't, haha.

Edit²: I now also realize Duncan already mentioned Ibrahimovic, and feel like a bit of an idiot
Vieira maybe?
Hmm.... I got kind of confused reading it. I hope you are saying that Thuram and Davids > Ibra
Lillian Thuram
Some very good guesses with Davids.... He shares the record for most red cards (3) with Drogba(!) and this player.

Correct answer- Patrick Vieira who was sent off while playing for Arsenal, Juventus and Inter Milan

Kick4Life - changing lives through football