Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Football Quiz
Sam (Juventus) 3 years ago
Can you name the English player(s) who have won the European Player of the Year award and the year(s) in which the award(s) was/were won?
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Bobby charlton 1966. I think owen and beckham won it
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Sir Bobby Charlton and Owen
Four players have won it on five occasions. Stanley Matthews (1956), Bobby Charlton (1966), Kevin Keegan (1978 & 79), Michael Owen (2001)
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Who has scored the most champions league hat tricks since the competition had it's change in name?

P. S. I changed it so the new posts show up first
Thank you, I was getting tired of clicking the newest button over and over again
Inzaghi (the legend) and Michael Owen...
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
I will also go with inzhagi
Inzaghi is the answer. There are a bunch of players on two Owen is one of them, Inzaghi is the only one on three, I am pretty sure
Can you name the only four teams to win the Champions League without being the reigning domestic champions in their country? In what years were these feats accomplished?
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Liverpool.... '05' I know that one, i'll have to get the thinking cap on now!  
Nottingham Forrestm milan, leeds and liverpool
Liverpool 04-05 is one of the teams.... Don't think Nottingham Forest is.... Will have to check...
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Real Madrid 2000, 2002 Liverpool 05 and Milan 07 are the only recent ones to come to mind
Are we talking since the European competition had it's named changed to the Champions League? Or just all time.

Liverpool in 05 for sure, Milan in 07, that's all I got. Nice one as always Sam
I think Nottingham forest is one as well, but I'm not sure about leeds
Chmpions league or european cup?    Nottingham Forrest, milan, liverpool, aston villa    
That would be the champions league as it currently exists; most of the teams have already been mentioned above by TheBarcaShow
AC Milan (2002-2003, 2006-2007), Liverpool (2004-2005), Real Madrid (1999-2000, 2001-2002)
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Liverpool 2004/2005. Milan 2006/2007
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Who was the first player born after the Champions League banner to appear in the competition itself? (Easy Google One)
Am going to take a wild guess and say mceachren
Back to the drawing board
Absolutely no idea
Jack Wilshere?!    I have no idea either, that's just a wild guess! Lol
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Let me take a shot : El Sharawwy?
Rockerr (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Lukaku, what else to expect from a blues fan hah
Its McEachran, by "Back to the drawing board" I meant for me
What is the highest goal scoring margin aggregate in European football? Name the two teams involved and the goal margin involved
Manchester united vs roma 9-2
Decent guess but no...
Sporting Lisbon and Bayern Munich, it was something like 12-1
ManUK to the rescue again...
I hold the record for youngest player to ever play in the Champions League.
I also hold the record for youngest player sent off from a champions league match.
I have won an Olympic gold medal.
Who am I?
Lionel Messi?
No, not Messi
Sergio Aguero or yakubu
No...
I think I heard Chelsea target Lakuku is the youngest player to play champions league, don't know he's won an olympic medal or been sent off though?

So i'll try him!
Babayaro at 16 years. The younger one of babayaro brothers remember then both playing for nigeria. Not like botang brothers facing each others. Lol
Jesuriya on the money.... Celestine Babayaro is the right answer.
Won a gold medal at the 1996 Olympics with Nigeria.
First played in the champions league with Anderlecht, and became the youngest player to receive a red card in the UEFA Champions League when he was sent off in a match between Steaua Bucuresti and his club Anderlecht (1-1) at an age of 16 years and 86 days
I began my playing career at Corinthians in Brazil as a defender.
I moved on to Sporting Lisbon in Portugal, where I made 37 appearances.
I only scored 1 goal while at Sporting; however what was unique about this goal was that it remains the fastest recorded shot in history.
I now currently play alongside my brother in Germany.
Who am I?
Ronny?
Edu? Although I don't think he played for Sporting Lisbon
Somere, you are going to have to qualify that answer
Hmm, really no idea!
I hold the record for most goals scored in all competitions in one season.
I was the first player to wear the number "9" in club football.
I had more goals than appearances for my national team.
The club for which I had the most appearances erected a statue of me outside their stadium in 2001.
Who am I?
I think I may know this one but I will leave it up for others to take a pop at, nice one Sam
Eusebio?
No, not Eusebio
Batigol?
Gerd Muller
No
Dixie Dean is what I would have said up top
Yeah, good job Dixie Dean is the right answer, , , , , , going back decades with that one
I hold the record for being the most capped player in my native country.
I have played in 4 premier league derbies in 4 different countries in Europe.
I had a shot named after me, following my performance at Euro 96.
I retired in 2007.
Who am I?
Patrick Kluivert?
No, not Kluivert, although I'm wondering if my clues were too general to give a legitimate guess.... I will add further clues if it seems like no one is getting close to the right answer
The Poborsky lob! I can't believe I remember that haha
So much for new clues.... Good job ManUK
That's a way to come through mank don't know how many people have a shot named after them Sam haha nice one
Which is the world's oldest international football tournament? Easy one!
Olympics
No....  
Copa America maybe?
World Cup?
It's copa america.... Rockerr got it
Which team(s) other than FC Barcelona and Real Madrid have never been relegated from La Liga?
Deportivo, Atletico and Valencia?
Double post!
Athletic Bilbao
Bilbao. Read that somewhere
Yes it is Athletic Bilbao
What team has never BEEN relegated from the Serie A?
Inter (damn)
Screw you
Yeah, we all know how much BS there is in that answer.... Should have been relegated you know when, but Moratti will get his sooner or later
Name a player who has a goal scoring ratio of over. 75 for their country.

Who has the most clean sheets in international footballing histroy?
Ronaldo(not the hairgel abuser)    By "who" you mean country or player? (sorry I had to ask!)
I'll go for Kluivert of Holland and i'll guess at Pagliuca former Italy International(and one of my all time favourite keepers!)
Puskas?
Erm Ali Daei? And no clue with the clean sheets
1) pele.  
2) yashin
2) cassilas
Pele  Buffon
Gerd Muller
Donnchadh revel the answers...
Sorry boys I have been off for quite some time

For the .75 goal ratio there are a few answers. Puskas is one 84 in 85 appearances dumb really haha, Gerd Muller is another he had a ridiculous goal scoring ratio for West Germany of 1.09. Ali Daeli has the most international goals scored at 109 but a ratio just under the mark at .73, many guessed Pele which is correct .84 77 in 92 matches. There are also two Scandinavians with ridiculous goal scoring records Poul Nielsen of Denmark has 52 in 38!? And Sven Rydell of Sweden has 49 in 43. There are probably others, these are all I could find. I think it may be some time before a player for his country has this kind of prolific record again. The game is becoming more defensive, especially at the international level.

Going with that trend I believe it is two modern goalkeepers who hold the most clean sheets for their country. Edwin Van der Sar has a ridiculous 71 clean sheets for the Netherlands. Casillas may be up there too, he had kept 52 clean sheets as of 2009. I am pretty sure Van der Sar holds that record though. Much harder to find these kind of clean sheet records than goal scoring records haha. Peter Shilton is up there too with 66, and shares a record with Barthez(really Barthez haha) of having kept 10 WC clean sheets. If you can do some research and find someone with more than the 71 of VDS I would love to see it. Thomas Ravelli may be one to look into, as well as getting an updated number for Casillas. Most of my numbers I got from this awesome list.

Link: discusssoccer.myfreeforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=45&a... ;start=0

p.s. Prag and Greatscott Ronaldo has 62 in 98 caps, while Kluivert has 40 in 79 both wonderful tallies, just harder to score goals in the modern international game. Look at the best player in the world right now I don't think his ratio can be above 2 in 5 for Argentina. Though he doesn't really play in that pure goal scoring role, especially for Argentina (Maradona has 34 in 91 Messi has 17 in 60). I am surprised that the leading dutch goal scorer is Patrick with 40 so many legends, Cruijff, Neeskens, Rep, Van Basten, Gullit, Bergkamp, Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie
Not sure on the clean sheets. But looking at caps wise I am sure Zoff, Maier, and Zubizarreta can probably bring some good numbers
Which foreign player(non-Italian) in Serie A has scored the most number of braces over the past three calcio seasons?    
Are you serious?
Sammy Eto'o mayhap
I'm thinking Ibrahimovic or Eto'o as well
But Eto'o has only been in serie a for two seasons I believe so that probably isn't right. Is it Pato?
Haha nice Kaden reminds me of the good old days when you would go to post something and there is something above because someone posted first the instant responses hahaha
Donnchadh gets it right, it is Alexandre Pato!
Pato has an uncanny routine of scoring stunning braces and getting injured the very next match leaving us Milan fans debate whether we must accept that 50M offer from Chelsea
Haha yea Donn, I remember when everybody would post two seconds after each other. It got confusing
Bit easier: how many times did George Weah win the African player of the year award

Bit tougher:how many goals did Johan Cruijff score in his time with Ajax in how many appearances, and how many did he score for the Netherlands in how many appearances
1) 3 times African player of the year and 1 time player of the century!  2) Dude!  
1) 3 times    2) Absolutely no way I can guess that without the aid of google so I'm just going to pass on that one! Lol
Ya that one is super tough, hoping someone like Jeroen may stumble upon it and give it a crack. To give a hint they are ridiculous goal scoring ratios for both club and country. In the mean time though, here is another piece of Cruijff trivia that may be a little more realistic for people to know. What club did he score, what the Catalans call the "gol de imposible" against? Back heeling it into the net from a tight angle with his right boot above his head, while he played for Barca of course
@ the Cruijff one. It was Atletico I believe
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Man, I've been missing out for sure. I haven't been on footytube on a regular basis and if I was, I was on the Barça chat.

As for Johan:
I know he's 'only' gathered 48 caps for Holland, but he did score 33 times. I'm not sure about his Ajax and Barça stats (nevermind the short spells at the American teams he's played for, his second spell at Ajax and then at Feyenoord). But here's a guess:
Ajax (first spell): 250 games, 185 goals?
Barcelona: 150 games, 75 goals?

Edit: just checked, I'm almost spot on for the Ajax one, but he's scored a meagre 48 goals in 140 games for Barça. Johan, I am disappoint.
Haha nice Jeroen, I knew you would be close no the Ajax tallly. What a ridiculous ratio that is 190 in 240 appearances that's getting it done. 33 in 48 also very impressive, whenever he scored Holland never lost

Kick4Life - changing lives through football