Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Favorite Players In Each Team
Aeaglan (AC Milan) 4 years ago
There are a few top teams that I just don't like for one reason or another. But even though I dislike the team as a whole, I do admire certain players within the squad.

In This topic, Please highlight the individual players you like for the teams that you dislike and/or don't really cheer for:

-Rival teams:
Real Madrid: Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Kaka'
Inter Milan: Maicon, Eto'o

-Other teams I don't cheer for:
Juve: Trezeget
Valencia: Silva, Villa
Liverpool: Steven Gerrard (I Hope he leaves Liverpool, but I know he won't), Torres, Johnson
Man U: Rooney, Nani
Shghal (Borussia Dortmund) 4 years ago
Nice topic
Johnbull (Millwall) 4 years ago
Nice one, Liverpool : Torres
Man. City : Steven Ireland, he could be better in a great team
Arsenal : Fabregas
West Ham : nobody
Everton : Tim Cahill, another one who deserves a better club.
Chel$ki : Joe Cole
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Nice thread mate    Now mine:    Real Madrid-kaka, higuain  Inter Milan-Eto'o  Juve-del piero  Roma-Totti
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Rival teams
Man U-Hargreaves(for his cool run against portugal in the world cup)
Chelsea-Terry and lampard
Arsenal-Arshavin

Diablo28 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Teams I don't like but still have players I enjoy watching play:
Arsenal:C. Fabregas, Arshavin
Everton:Jo
As Roma:Totti
Inter Milan: Maicon, Sneijder
Juventusiego, Cannavaro
Chicago fire: Cuauhtemoc Blanco
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Rival Teams:

-ManU: Valencia
-Chelsea: Lampard

Other Teams:
Barca: Messi, Ibra, Xavi, Puyol
-ac Milan: Pato
-Arsenal: Fabregas, Van Persie, Arshavin
Nemmy (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Rival teams:  - Juventus: Diego, Del Piero  - MU: Van der Sar, Carrick  - Liverpool: Torres
Blooob (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Other teams  Real madrid : kaka, Raul  Chelsea: Lampard  Arsenal: Van persie, fabreagas, Vermealen
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Other teams:

Ac milan : Seedorf and pato
Real madrid : Benzema
Juventus : Diego and Trezeguet
Marseille : Niang
Liverpool : Gerrag and Torres
Munich : Ribery
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Real Madrid: Xabi Alonso, Casillas
Inter Milan: Maicon, Cambiasso
Atletico de Madrid: Forlan, Kun, Asenjo
Chelsea: Bosingwa, Joe Cole, Essien
Espanyol: De la Peña
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Tottenham: hate em all
Man Utd: hate em all
Liverpool: hate em all
Chelsea: Lampard, Essien but the fact that Ca$hley Cole, Terry, and Drogba play for them cancels them out
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Hate is a strong word my friend
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Then it fits in this case
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Maybe it does, I am just saying it is a strong word
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yea it is, but I consider myself more of an old school/traditionalist where I hate my rivals. It's just how I was raised when it comes to sports. I just naturally hate the rival teams and players.... Especially when some/most of them are utter cvnts!
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I can assure you most people playing professional football, are not utter c***s(with a few exceptions *wink* [C.] Ronaldo *wink*) they are professional footballers and most of them are probably humble classy guys. I mean Kaka is a great example of one of the best footballer's in the world and he is a fantastic person, he belongs to Jesus, something you have to respect deeply even if you're not religious(god knows I am not). Messi, Henry, Bergkamp, Torres are all very humble people who just love to play so don't call them c***s just because they aren't on the team you support, they don't deserve that
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Well I was referring Terry, Ashley Cole, Rooney, Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Drogba, Ballack, Evra, Adebawhore, Tevez, Bellamy, Barton, Savage, El Hadj Diouf and co and probably Fabregas and RVP if I wasn't an Arsenal supporter. Also, most rich people are cvnts, especially celebrities/athletes as they believe they are better than most people because they are hailed and revered by the public although there are exceptions of course.

I agree, Kaka, Messi, Henry, Bergkamp, Torres are not cvnts in my eyes. They are players I actually enjoy watching and admire.

Also, I don't call them cvnts because they play for a rival team (although that adds to it), I call them cvnts because of the way they carry themselves on and off the field.

Edit: Adding names of players I see as cvnts as they pop in my head
Keong (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Rarimapirate, I like what you said there, cheers buddy!
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Rival Teams:

Chelsea - Lampard, Drogba
Manchester United - Giggs, Vidic
AC Milan - Dida, Pato, Ronaldinho
Inter Milan - Milito, Lucio, Maicon
Real Madrid: Benzema, Kaka
Manchester City: Tevez
AS Roma: Totti
Hull City: Bullard, Geovanni
Italy: Del Piero, Buffon
Portugal: Simao
France: Henry, Benzema, Gignac

Other teams:

Arsenal: Fabregas, Vermaelen
Liverpool: Gerrard
Aston Villa: Agbonlahor, Young
Valencia: Villa
Bordeaux: Gourcuff
Sunderland: Bent, Jones
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Wow you have a lot of rivals

Not to get on your case, but I can't believe an Everton supporter liking Gerrard. I mean, if I was an Evertonian, he would be the first player I would want to see bad things happen to
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Bad things happen to, come on man, that's no way to think. Even if you don't like a player you don't want to see them get injured. Even if I didn't like Eduardo(which I don't, I think he is great) I would never want to see something like that(broken leg) happen to him. Lighten up a bit, don't be so negative, Gerrard is class anyways there is no reason not to like him
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Coming from a Liverpool fan of course

I still hate him but I wouldn't want to see him get injured. That was not my point. My point was, most Everton supporters I know have a great, deep hatred for Liverpool. Such as Barca and Madrid, Inter and Milan, Roma and Lazio, Arsenal and Tottenham. I'm saying that most Everton supporters would probably rather die than see Gerrard lift the Premier League Trophy as is the same as most die hard Manchester United fans (exaggeration I know, but you get the idea)

Oh and Gerrard may be a class player but he is a cvnt in my eyes
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
I mean, I'm not into all those derby rivalries, I'm not born in England and don't live there and so I don't feel the derby "heat", although they are close rivals, I admire Gerrard and Liverpool, I like the man because of his ability to lead and he is an all-rounder
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Fair enough. I respect that answer.

I didn't mean to question you as a supporter, just was curious as to why you liked Gerrard. Sorry if it came out as me judging you as a fan
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Because he's dedicated to his club, is that not accepted in this day in age, do all the players have to be businessman before they are players or what? I mean why do you think he's a c**t, because of his personality? You could hardly even understand him at certain points in his interviews and you know he isn't saying something disrespectful, at least not to the extent of SAF about the referees, or calling players c***s. And I mean you use the word hate a lot in that paragraph, sure there is a lot of passion in the game but I would like to think most of that passion is directed towards singing songs and love for your team, not hatred of the other. Of course there will be hatred directed at the other team, but it should only be on match day, there is no need to focus your energy on hating other teams when you could be supporting your own.

Besides you claim to be an old school traditionalist right, and you are from America correct? So how can you support Spain then? Where you born there? Or did you just see them in the Euro and say there pretty good I like them? I mean the merseyside derby is an old school game that goes way back in history and there is so much passion in it. But I doubt Evertonians would be THAT disappointed by Liverpool winning the prem, unless they were in second place. Manchester United is a team I despise because I think there manager is a w****r who manipulates the game in a way that is almost cheating and they are the monopoly of football. But I won't say I hate them, because I respect them, and hate is a strong word that shouldn't really be applied in sports in general. You hate someone for killing your brother, not for putting one past your keeper.

Besides if any Manchester fans are "hating" on Liverpool I will say, remember that game at the theater of dreams when Torres absolutely made a fool out of your precious central defender, burned him then put it past Van der Sar sparking a 4 to 1 come from behind victory. That is what football is all about joy not sorrow, and when your team loses you take it with a grain of salt, but don't hate the other team for winning
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Wow, you are riled up on this topic

I'll keep my answer short for now as I need to go to sleep.

If you're asking me why I think Steven Gerrard is a cvnt is because.... He argues at the ref at every damn decision, tackles like he wants to injure players at times, dives (you've probably seen the Steven Gerrard - Hypocrite vid, if not search that on youtube), violently assaulting some guy at a bar or club. Also, SAF is a cvnt too but he is a manager and he has to say things like that to deflect the poor performance by his team to some other story (still cvntish). I used the word hate once so get your facts right. About the hate only being directed on match days.... So your all happy goody not on match days? Sorry, but that's not how it works in sports, especially in such a passionate sport. Rivals will dislike each other till the day they die.

I am old school tradionalist. I have been supporting Spain since World Cup 2002, 1st WC I watched while understanding the game, when they got screwed by Korea. The way they played was a joy to watch just like the Arsenal team I fell in love with. I assure you, Evertonians would BE that disappointed if they saw Liverpool lift the trophy. You can hate and respect at the same time. Also, the point about the murderer.... Keep things in context man.... Obviously a person who murdered your family or friend would be hated much more than an athlete you despise, no need to state the obvious. There are varying levels of hate.

Also, if I was a Manchester United fan, when you mention that, I would mention who won the league back to back to back and who looks like they are going to drop out of the Champions League spot
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Yes you are right I am pretty riled up, I just think hatred is a bad idea that's all. It shouldn't be involved in sports and I think hatred should be reserved for people who really deserve those kind of negative feelings, people that have done terrible things. Not people who belong to Jesus(Kaka) and have families, I mean let's look at the bigger picture here, in the end it is just a game. As much as you or I may love it, and I think people that are wiser than you or me(people who are older than 19) might tell you that. Did you see that Pele just confessed he loves to watch Argentina? He is supposed to hate them, and he doesn't it, because he loves the game.

As for what you said about Gerrard, I have never seen him make a tackle were it looks like he is trying to injure a player, he just loves his team and he wants the ball. Like many great players when his team is losing he can make some rash tackles, but I don't think he is trying to hurt anyone, he is just desperate to win the ball. He has dove before in his career regrettably, I can't deny that but not at the rate of some of these other players. And I assure you it is all so his team can win. Nor can I deny the bar fighting and assaulting, so he isn't perfect, but I just wouldn't call Stevie G a c**t he is a hometown hero.

Also you did only say hate once in that paragraph you are right, but you used it earlier when you were posting, which kind of started this whole discussion so that's where I was coming from. Also I am sure there are many Rangers and Celtic fans that work together, have dinner together and have their children play together, hell probably even go to church together. Best friends can support rival teams, it doesn't all have to be about bitterness and distaste, it's just who you support.

You can't be an old school traditionalist if you support Spain and were born in the States, I am sorry. I mean why didn't you support the you. S. In the 2002 world cup? They played one of the greatest games in our history as a footballing nation almost beating Germany, they could have if it wasn't for the referees. Just because Spain plays more attractive football you support them? That's not what it is about friend let me assure you, there would be no one to support the little teams if that was the case.

Liverpool still beat them twice last year so that speaks for itself. We will see what happens this season. Right they did win the league three years in a row, but we beat them, completely outclassed them the second time too. That's what these little clubs like Burnley have, the little things. Yeah we've won the premiership 11 times, well we just beat you yesterday sucker.

I don't think it is possible to hate someone and respect them. If you hate someone it should be for a reason that instigates and inspires this hatred. Football shouldn't be this reason. Like I said hatred is a stong, strong word something that should be reserved for situations like I speak of above. I agree there are varying levels of hatred, strong hatred and stronger hatred, football shouldn't be causing either of these. Love is what we should be talking about, you love your brother. So if someone takes your brother away you hate them. Football and hate shouldn't even go together, they are polar opposites, do you see where I am coming from. By the way you are probably a c**t for calling all those people above c***s, Tevez, come on. The guy is pure class, did you see how he celebrated against West Ham, yeah he didn't. But I don't care it's all good, you are cool in my eyes. Anyways peace and love son that's what it should be about, peace.
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
We aren't going to see eye to eye on this topic but here's my rebuttal....

Just things Gerrard does sometimes makes you wonder, I didn't deny he was a great player, I said the way he conducted himself at times made him less likeable than other players. Also, diving just because you want to win doesn't excuse anything. If I used steroids or other performance enhancing drugs so I could help my team win, that's still cheating and I would get ridiculed for it like all the baseball players (ie Barry Bonds). Of course Gerrard is a hometown hero, but for the wrong team as he was an Evertonian supporter when he was younger.

Yea I know what you meant by me using the hate word, just wanted to point out you were wrong in indicating the previous paragraph and not the above post Also, if you go to Scotland and look at Rangers and Celtic fans, I'm pretty sure some would eat dinner together, but I guarantee you many still hate each others' guts. That's why you see crowd violence and such because of hate. Of course best friend's can support rival teams, but many can not as well.

Yea true, I wasn't born with the game, I was born with basketball, football, baseball, hockey and such. What I meant was that, in terms of sports, I consider myself traditionalist. I support my teams very passionately and die hardly (word?). I love my teams and will feel like I'm in heaven when they win and feel physically sick when they lose. That's just how I am. I don't jump ship when things go bad, and I hate my rivals (sorry for using hate again). Although in 2002 I was fairly young, not even in high school, so yea so you could say I still kinda grew up with the game. I don't support S. (USA?) because the passion for the team is non existent in the US and it's hard to root for a team no one cares about. Also I love the culture of Spain and the passion they have for the sport and the way the obviously play the game. If that were the case, why don't you support some MLS team and not Liverpool? Where you live is only a location, you can have the same passion for the team whether your 1 mile away from the stadium or 1000 miles away.

Yea, you may have done the double against United (which Arsenal did 3 years back) but still didn't win the title. In the end, it's the champions that are remembered.

About the hate and respect thing, it is possible. There are many occasions where one's rivals admitted that they missed playing against each other when one retired. This is true because the rival that you hate and want to beat badly, made you the player that you are today because they motivated you to become better. Look up Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost on wiki or something, they were bitter rivals but when Senna died, Prost missed him terribly because they thrived off each other.

Without hate, football, or sports in general would be more boring. There would be no rivalries or fan banter. Everything would be (oh I'm happy you won, hopefully next match is better for us and good luck to you.... Instead of teams wanting revenge and wanting to beat the crap out of the team, metaphorically speaking, the next time they play.

Also, Tevez is a cvnt, ask any real Manchester United fan and they will have had him as their favorite player (arguably), when he played for them, but the way in which he left by talking crap about Ferguson, telling them I didn't join Liverpool because I respected United then joining their bitter rivals in City, then talking crap about the club.... That's not going to make him well liked by the United faithful. Did you watch the game between United and City? If you did, then you would have noticed the boos when he had the ball which is very telling because United fans don't boo players they love even if he went to a different club.

I'll end with this, if you ask many old school/older generation of supporters, they will tell you that they hate their rivals. This board is too full of younger people like us so it's hard for us to understand, but these rivalries were brewed for a reason and many die hard, old school supporters will say that they extremely dislike their rival clubs. Most lasting rivalries were built on hatred, the others are built of rival competition that turned into hatred.
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Intense topic. I still respect Tevez, he's a phenomenal player who never stops. I completely understand why he left United, since were completely unwilling to pay what he was valued at. Anyway, sports would be just as exciting and intense without hate.... Extreme dislike is more what you're referring to. Wishing hurt upon Steven Gerrard is one thing, but hate is setting out to do so. I mean I "hate" Liverpool, but that doesn't stop me from secretly liking some of their players (Benayoun, Torres, etc). It seems in your book that there are different levels of hate which is maybe what Rarimapirate isn't getting. Saying you really really dislike your rival team just doesn't have the same ring to it, eh? Much easier to just say, "Ugh I hate those bastards. " I met a Chelsea headhunter hooligan who fled the UK to come over to the states as he is wanted for murder. He hates jews, Man United, etc etc and used to hate black people as well but apparently he's cool with them now since he had a black girlfriend at some point. That is real hate. I have no doubt in my mind that given the chance to break Wayne Rooney's legs he would gladly go grab his bat. But I know the hate you speak of: it's sports hate. Huge difference from true hatred. I do know that there are people out there who truly hate, but they're ridiculous
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Samdagooner: good rebuttal, you are obviously a very intelligent person and you make many valid points, all I am trying to say is that you should use another word than hate. Like Eric said there is a difference between "hatred" in sports and true, passionate hate. Hatred is a very poisonous thing and word, and it is very spreadable and contagious which is why I don't support it in the least. If there was all this hatred you speak of in the world cup, certainly rivalries between countries are just as big as club, it would spread like wildfire. But there isn't there is joy and peace, which spreads as well, a very good thing. That's why the world cup is the greatest sporting event in the world, it's all about joy and love of the game, there is very little, if any of this hatred you speak of. And people are happy because of the world cup, because it based on the happiness in the game.

To answer one of your questions, I have always loved football(soccer) more than anything else. So since the time I was little I have played it and supported it, I remember the 1998 world cup in France very clearly. Naturally I needed a team to support, my brother loved Liverpool so I supported them as well. Gerrard became one of my favorite players, my friend, who was born in Brazil but moved from Israel to the states, he supported Arsenal and was in love with Dennis Bergkamp, so from a very young age I have supported Liverpool. But if there was a Flagstaff FC team in the MLS, even in the USL, I would say I am a Flagstaff FC supporter, and Liverpool would come second. There never will be though, Flagstaff only has 60000 people, although football is very big here I don't see it as a possibility. Lord knows I will never support a team from Phoenix if there ever is one, but the Fire is one of my favorite teams because I was born in Chicago. I always look to see how the Fire did and I have a lot of passion for that club, but honestly it is the MLS. I don't care that much, unless there was a team in Flagstaff, Arizona then I would be all about it.

Now what you say about most lasting rivalries being built on hatred, I would argue the opposite and say they are built for a love for their club, not hatred of the other
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
By the way, Spain is a great country to support when it comes to football and I often root for them because they have so many great players and they play the game so beautifully. But so is Brazil, England, France, Netherlands all these big countries play wonderful football, but whenever they play the you. S. I will always be rooting for the you. S. To win. Because this is my country, I want to see them make an impact on the game. How can you say there is not enough passion for the team if you yourself do not support them? Seems sort of hypocritical, maybe if you cared about them you would see there is plenty of passion for the team and is continuing to grow
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Good points Rarimapirate, I guess I am sort of hypocritical when it comes to the passion in the USA but I can't help it. I don't have the passion for US soccer when hardly anyone talks about it, while everyone talks about European soccer or many more people on forums and such and I'm not the type of person to go out of my way to make it popular with people I know or don't know. I'm just not that type of personality. I would like it if the US did well so it gave more publicity to the American public but we'll see what happens in 2010.

About rivalries, maybe that was an exaggeration but Barca v Real, Celtic v Rangers, Boca v River, and some other big rivalries were built on hate. Fierce competition also helps as well but if you read the history on those rivalries, hate was definitely a factor. However, many rivalries were built on competition as well but now they have a general hate towards the opposition rival.

And yes, Eric, I am using hate in a sports context. Truly hating because of a sport is ridiculous or any matter in fact although it is still prevalent in the world
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
No doubt there is not the passion for the United States national team as there should be. I especially don't like that our fan club is called "Sam's Army", seems rather stupid to me, sounds like it's sponsored by the military or something. I don't really have any alternative ideas for names but it should be something cooler than that, maybe something that has to do with football. Also I think Bradley needs to give players like Freddy Adu more experience, we now he has immense talent and potential, but he will never fit into the team if he never plays. It is players like Freddy Adu who will get people excited about football in the you. S. Young kids who make football look easy. Obviously there is a lot of talent on the team and I like players like Stuart Holden who can play fantastic balls into the box, but Adu who was supposed to be our savior and you never see him play. Frustrating to say the least.

Hatred in rivalries is definitely there but, I am sure there is also a lot of good passion towards there team as much as there is negative towards the other.

It's a touchy subject that's for sure. But football should be a game about love not hate, can we agree on that?
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yes I agree that we should love each other, my point was that that is not the case unfortunately.

Oh, and I think we need a better manager than Bradley to improve as a footballing nation
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Rangers:Kris Boyd(think he should come to Liverpool) AC Milan:Huntelaar, Alexander Pato and Clarence Seedorf
Juventusel Piero, Gianluigi Buffon Real Madrid: Kaka, Karim Benzema, Ruud Van Nistelrooij, Guti & Xabi Alonso
Espanyol: Shunsuke Nakamura Atletico de Madrid: Maxi Rodriquez, Simao, Kun Aguero Valencia: Joaquin Sanchez, David Villa, David Silva, Matta Bordeaux: Gourcuff Bayern Munchen: Franck Ribery, Miroslav Klose

Chelsea: Joe Cole, Michael Essien Manchester United: Rooney, Ryan Giggs, Arsenal: Arshavin, Francesc Fabregas, Robin Van Persie Fulham: Clint Dempsey, Damien Duff Tottenham: Peter Crouch, Aaron Lennon, Huddlestone Manchester City: Carlitos Tevez, Steven Ireland Everton: Timmy Cahill, Timmy Howard

Rafael Van Der Vaart: wherever you are
Jman008 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Rival Team

Liverpool: Gerrard, Torres(I once wished he joined United before he joined Liverpool), Johnson
Chelsea: Lampard, Drogba, Terry
Arsenal: Arshavin, Walcott, Fabregas, Rosicky
Barcelona: Messi, Henry, Xavi, Iniesta
Real Madrid: Kaka, Benzema, Ronaldo, Casillas
Manchester City: Santa Cruz, Ireland
AS Roma: De Rossi


Other teams:
Bayern Munich: Ribery, Robben
Valenica: Villa and Silva
Tottenham: Robbie Keane, Lennon
AC Milan: Pato, Inzaghi
Athletcio Madrid: Diego Forlan
Aston Villa: Milner


I think you should ask this question again when the World Cup beings because then you would get to see alot more different world class players
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Here are a Few Players I Hate To Love :

Manchester United:

> Rooney: Wazza is one of my favourite players ever. Really hurt me when he said those things about liverpool

> Ryan Giggs: What a influence to the modern game. A true class and a premiership legend.

Chealsea (where DO I begin DUDE):

> Peter Cech: one of my favourite goal keepers, I often go on youtube and spend ages watching then fine saves

> Joe Cole : My Favourite Englishman Right now. Great with both feet and has great influence to ever game he plays.

> Ballack: German Superstar. Can't describe the awesomeness

> Dider Dider This man annoys me every week but I still love him

ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Players I hate to Love

Liverpool:

> Gerrard: Gahh You gotta' love him what a great guy what a real player should be like

> Torres: He's currently one of if not the best strikers in the world Like him a lot

> Reina: What a great keeper

Chelsea:

Ballack: I like him what can I say, he's a wonderful player German awesomeness indeed

Lampard: He's officially a legend

Peter Cech: I still think he's one of the best keepers in the world, and could be on any given year

I will post More from other clubs another time



   
Kick4Life - changing lives through football