Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
European XI Vs South American XI
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I was thinking this would be the best all time starting 11 from South America compared to the best historic team from Europe. And this would help determine which of the two continents have produced the best players and has the best football. Doing a modern team may also give some perspective and context for where the game is today in the two powerhouses of football. Maybe doing this is fruitless, like it is comparing players, but it is always very entertaining to compare players, so I thought people may have fun with this. South American teams have won 9 World Cups in total, 5 for Brasil, 2 a piece for Argentina and Uruguay, runners up 4 times. European teams have won the World Cup 10 times, Spain winning tipped the balance in 2010, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes back to South America with the 2014 WC being hosted in Brasil. Italy has won 4 times, Germany 3, England 1, Spain 1, France 1, but have been the runner up 14 times. So the statistics show Europe has the edge, however Brasil has won more World Cups than any European country, and in the discussion of the greatest player ever the first two names that usually come up are Pele and Maradona, which I don't necessarily agree with, but there is no denying they are two of the best.

South American XI: 4-3-3 To take advantage of their free flowing, beautiful attacking football.

LFiego Maradona
CFele
RF:Garrincha

LM:Rivellino
CM:Alfredo di Stefano(see)
RM:Socrates

LB:Nilton Santos
CB:Carlos Alberto
CBaniel Pasarella
RBjalma Santos

GK:Ubaldo

Subs:Batistuta/Mario Kempes, Ronaldo, Zico/Jairzinho, Gerson, Javier Zanetti, Elias Figueroa(Chile), Dos Santos Neves(GK)

European XI 4-4-2 Tactical, more interested in winning than playing beautiful football(unless your Holland) the Italians treat football like war, produced some of the greatest defenders of all time.

LFuskas
RF:Gerd Muller

LW:Johan Cruijff
CM:Bobby Charlton
CM:Zinedine Zidane
RW:George Best

LBaolo Maldini
CB:Franz Beckenbauer(see)
CB:Bobby Moore
RB:Franco Baresi

GKino Zoff

Subs:Marco Van Basten/Rual Gonzalez, Kenny Dalglish, Michel Platini, Eric Cantona/Dennis Bergkamp, Gaetano Scirea, Berti Vogts, Peter Schmiechel

I don't really have time for a modern team, but hopefully people enjoy this. I hope some people make different lists and express which continent they think is best. For me personally it is so hard to decide. Cruijff is an idol of mine, so it is hard to decide against Europe, but I love the carefree, improvised style of the likes of Garrincha and the South American passion for the game. No doubt the passion runs very high in Europe and South America and the love of the game is strong in both continents, so to help answer my question I will look at the two teams of my favorite and most influential players from the continents. I really don't know, they both look too good, so I will let footytube decide. Maybe I would give the edge to the Europeans because of their defence, but it would be very very slight, I mean look at the forwards and midfielders of America. Di Stefano and Socrates controlling the midfield, Rivellino and Maradona, two of the best left sided players in the history of the game on the left, and Pele and Garrincha never lost a game they played together for Brazil. The defence is amazing as well, but they would want to get forward to much, leaving them exposed. I just think with Zidane, Charlton and Beckenbauer in the midfield, with Cruijff and Best on the wings it would be too hard for the SAs to get the ball. All of them can score, and Puskas and Muller are two of the most lethal players in front of the net the game has ever produced. It is impossible to know with this type of thing, but I would give a tiny tiny edge to the Euros, even if the SA were in the mood, they could put 3 or 4 past you in a few minutes no matter the defence or goalkeeper(which was so hard to decide on the European side). Hope people enjoy this post and put in their two cents. Which do you think is better? Peace

P. S. Di Stefano belongs on the South American side in my opinion. But I guess it's up to you, he was born in Argentina and lived in South America till he was in his 20's I believe. You will also see that Eusebio is left out of the Euro side, I believe he is an African player in this sort of context, but whatever's clever in your opinion on these kind of situations
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
They are two serious teams mate, one player I can't believe you havent got in the south american team, and nearly everyone chose him for all time best right back in an earlier post.... Cafu, the man was brilliant
Ay good point Tone, I did consider him and Roberto Carlos for a while, but the old school guys came from the golden age of Brasilian football, and I thought it would be an injustice for me to leave them out. Maybe Figueroa should come out for Cafu, keep it all Brasilian and Argentinian, but he is a great center back, it seems like every Brasilain defender is a wing/right or left back
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Would like to see your best ix as of today's football of south american and europe
Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Carlos valderrama not even on the bench for south america? And that team is pretty much brazil 60's and 70's and some argentinians
Everyone's got their different opinions man. Valderrama is a fantastic player, but to me putting him on an all time South American side just makes no sense. To put him above a Zico, or Jairzinho or Nelinho, or even a Juan Roman Riquelme or Ronaldinho is taking away from those players careers and skills. Argentina and Brasil deserve to have that many players because they have produced more world class footballers than any other two countries. So you can be politically correct about it and choose players from other countries, but it wouldn't be the best possible team in my opinion. The 60s and 70s were the golden age for Brasil, the 1970 team is considered one of the greatest of all time. Feel free to post your own team though man, I would love to take a look at it, for me that is the team though
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Back then I think the South american team would have been the winners of the match if they played against each other however today's european XI is the better team than today's south american XI in my opinion
Possibly, the South Americans have the Messiah though
No they havent, bestie's european.... Lol
Haha touchee Tone. Ahh Georgie Best, what a player. Maybe he will come back to life in Belfast than since he is the Messiah
We could certainly do with him.... Lol
Its even madder when you think of the players NOT on your two teams duncan, and the more you think, the more changes you might make because you forgot someone.... Lol, but there has been some cracking players down the years
Haha I know Tony, when I was originally doing the subs there were a couple slash marks for every position and player. But I realized this was too ridiculous, so I just did it in striker in attacking midfielder/forward. And ya I second guessed myself on many decisions but thought these were the teams I made, might as well stick to 'em. One of the hardest ones for me was, the two European strikers. I thought Muller and Puskas were too short, and with wingers like Best and Cruijff I should have a target player, but they're feet make up for it I think, Puskas with the killer left boot, and "Der Bomber" speaks for himself. And that's why Van Basten would probably be better than Rual, he gives that aerial quality, with his head and ridiculous volleys. Although Muller was class with his head, despite his slight stature, it's the German way. Yes Tony you are right, so many great players throughout the history of football, that's why it took me close to two hours to do this post haha. I left out some real great ones, Michael Laudrup, Ronaldinho, Stoichkov, Gullit, Ian Rush, Ryan Giggs, Roberto Baggio, Dunga, Juan Roman Riquelme, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Ramario, Leo Messi Just Fontaine, Uwe Seeler, Chilavert, there are too many, and I am sure I am omitting some obvious ones still but that is the nature of these posts, to see peoples opinions on who THEY think is the best. Cheers Tony
Too much info for my oul brain to digest, but a good well put together thread mate
Thanks man, I will leave it be for now, happy new years Tone
Same to you and the family duncan.... Cheers
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Claudio taffarel?
He is a great goalkeeper, but Gilmar Dos Santos Neves is the only goalkeeper in history to win the World Cup twice as the starting goalkeeper. Brazilians seem to think he is the best, I couldn't omit a player like that
I would replace dino zoff with lev yahsin
Pat jennings for me in nets
Ya goalkeepers for Europe was one of the hardest positions to decide, Yashin, Gordon Banks, Oliver Kahn, Jennings, there are too many but Zoff and Schmeichel are beasts
Yashin won the award for best keeper of the 20th century so that's how I decided on him instead of the others
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Could we do South America vs Europe but for the modern players?
I say go for it if you have an idea of who would be in those teams
In my opinion Eusebio, since he played for portugal qualifies as a european and could be in the team
South America:
Ceaser

Maicon
Lucio
Samuel
Alvez

Zanetti
CAmbiasso

Messi
Robinho
Ronaldinho

Ronaldo

Casillas

Ramos
Terry
Vidic
Cole

Xavi
Iniesta

Ronaldo
Sneijder
Pedro

Villa

You have 12 players with south america unless that ronaldo was an accidental double post. I agree with the euro XI but I think forlan deserves to be in the starting XI
Forlan is amazing I agree but no one beats Phenomeno. And I put Giggs instead of Pedro
Forlan is amazing I agree but no one beats Phenomeno. And I put Giggs instead of Pedro
Giggs is past his best so it so are doing a list based on current form he doesn't belong there
No no it is not current form. If it was current form Ronaldinho Ronaldo and Robinho would not be in the starting 11
Forlan has achieved more than robinho so if its not current form then maybe he could replace him
True
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
South America

Julio Cesar

Maicon Lucio Samuel Dani Alves

Maxi Kaka Cambiasso Robinho

Diego Forlan Messi

^ didn't give it much thought
At present form maxi doesn't deserve it
He doesent deserve it? He is one of liverpools only perfomer. He has improved alot in the air and is more confident then he was at the last world cup. He is a natural winger and does deserve it
You have 12 players
No I don't lol
Modern South American team, based on current form and past achievements 4-3-3

GK:Julio Cesar

LB:Javier Zanetti
CB:Lucio
CB:Thiago Silva
RB:Maicon

RM:Kaka
CM:Esteban Cambiasso
LM:Angel Di Maria

RF:Leo Messi(Capt.)
CF:Gonzalo Higauin
LF:Alexander Pato

Subsiego Forlan, Nilmar, Diego Milito/Kun Aguero, Ronaldinho, Walter Samuel, Dani Alves, Sergio Romero

Modern European XI, same criteria 3-5-2

GK:Iker Casillas

LB:Gerard Pique
CB:John Terry
RBhilip Lahm

LMzil
CM:Xavi(capt.)
CM:Bastian Schweinsteiger(probably spelled horribly wrong)
AM:Wesley Sneijder
RM:Arjen Robben

RF:Cristiano Ronaldo
LFavid Villa

Subs:Andres Iniesta, Steven Gerrard, Samir Nasri, Wayne Rooney, Edin Dzeko, Rio Ferdinand, Sergio Ramos
Many Random Smileys lol
Putting only 3 at back could be a problem for the EURO team. The south American attack would rip them apart
Espiecially with Ramos on there, havent seen him have a major defensive role for the spanish team yet
Dude 3 across the back. Messi Di Maria and Kaka would kill that Defence. And I think you should put Di Maria in the Attack force and stick another player in the Midfield
What can I say I am a sucker for goals. Plus there are just too many midfielders on the Euro side to only have four, I did this and still had to leave out Iniesta. But looking back on the teams, somehow I completely forgot Carlitos Tevez, put him in the starting in 11, replace Milito with Higuain. And put Gareth Bale in instead of Sergio Ramos, never a big fan of Ramos, but because he did win the World Cup I thought I would give him his due. If there is anyone who can shut down Leo Messi in a somewhat isolated position it's Bale, I know he hasn't been playing in defence this season, but he is capable. Plus he would be a great replacement for Ozil or Robben on the wings. Also on South American team, replace Nilmar or Kun Aguero with Juan Vargas. He could play on the left side of the midfield he has got a killer left peg.

If the European defence is too soft, you can replace Sneijder with Gerrard and move Iniesta or Xavi into a deeper attacking role so they control the midfield. Have Stevie and Schweinsteiger playing holding roles and Xavi or Andres start the attack, enough pace with Ozil/Robben/Bale and the two strikers to cause the South American's enough trouble. Or you can put Rio(toss up for me between Ferdinand and Carles Puyol) or Bale in the back and go with a more conventional 4-4-2 sacrificing Wesley again. Rooney can play goalkeeper if Casillas gets injured, kids a beast between the sticks.

P. S. Kimaway, I see your point about Di Maria, but I don't think he would get into an attack with Messi, because I don't see an advantage having two left sided players in attack, plus I believe Carlitos, Gonzalo, Forlan and Pato are all in the ascendancy to Di Maria when it comes to pure striking ability. So Vargas could replace him if he is a weakness in midfield
Looks to me like the south americans would probably win this one because of this amazing attack they have. The europeans may play a more tactical less free flowing formation but on their best day those south american attackers could put plenty pass the EURO XI no matter what the formation
About a 4-2-3-1 With a defence of Ramos Terry Vidic and Evra across the back four. And a attacking midfield five of Xavi and Iniesta the two center mids. Bale on the left Ronaldo on the right and Sneijder the Trequistista. And who ever you want as a striker that seems like a good open game
I thought after this season people may want to put up their modern teams, or even their all time XI for the two continents. I would put Vidic in there instead of JT, I just forgot he is European for some reason sometimes. And put Puyol instead of Rio, Carles is just such a beast, and Rio seems pretty much past it. Modric had an amazing season, and he is top class, but I don't think I could replace either Gerrard or Nasri with him. Dzeko I would replace with Muller, he is young but he gives immense quality and knows how to find the back of the net. I believe he is left sided as well, which is good. I would replace Ronaldinho with Luis Suarez too, Dinho is one of the best of all time, but he just doesn't have it anymore
South america:
Julio cesar

Dani alves lucio samuel maicon

Cambiasso mascherano
Messi kaka

Tevez forlan

Bench: radamel falcao, aguero, higuain, zanetti, di maria, pastore, robinho,
Europe

Casillas

Evra vidic terry lahm

Schweinsteiger iniesta xavi robben

Ibra rooney

ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Modern European XI, adding together form this very second and recently, plus past achievements.

GK: Iker Casillas
LB: Ashley Cole
CB: Vidic
CB: Gerard Pique
RB: Philip Lahm

LM: Iniesta
CM: Steven Gerrard
AM: Wesley Sneijder
RM: Xavi

RF: Cristiano Ronaldo
LF: David Villa

Subs: Ozil, Samir Nasri, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Sergio Ramos, Schweinsteiger, John Terry, Van Der Sarr
Well imma make a new team

Neuer

Lahm/Ramos
Vidic
Terry
Evra/Cole

Xavi
Oezil
Iniesta

Ronaldo
Villa
Rooney
And south american

Ceaser (I do not know any other south american keepers)

Alvez
Lucio
Samuel
Marcelo

Kaka
Ronaldinho

Di Maria
Pastore
Messi

Tevez

Kick4Life - changing lives through football