Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Euro Dream Team
Northgreen (AC Milan) 2 years ago
I will make Euro dream team for each round - Group stage and knockout stage, Final and total. Feel free to add your opinions on my team or even a whole new team setup.
Round 1:

____________Neuer____________

Srna-Hummels-De Rossi-Shirkov

Dzagoev-Sneijder-Pirlo-Arshavin

____Shevchenko-Pavlychuenko______

Subs: Buffon - Piszczek - Chiellini - (Boateng) - Iniesta - Özil - Mandzukic
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
Nice avatar, good to see a little tribute to the blonde legend
Neuer had a great match vs Portugal doing several matchwinner savings in the end when Portugal was chasing the equalizer being 1-0 down and proved why he is recognized as one of the better goalkeepers around in Europe now a days (if not the best)

Defenders:

Darijo Srna playing in the right back role for Croatia connecting with Rakitic proved to be a threat which is hard to handle for the green army from Ireland and he did also get an assist here.

Hummels were not one many expected to play [even if some of us did ] but given the chance he truly showed the task worthy dominating the area in front of Neuer making his job much easier than it could have been, stopping one after the other Portuguese wave coming on and even more towards the end and many would probably argue for him to be man of the match here. I guess I will agree even if I think both Boateng and Neuer was good here as well.

De Rossi were in this match playing a libero role in the 3man defence for Italy vs Spain. A formation which many regarded as a big risk, but ofc as many italy serie a fans now can tell you, the italian clubs have been experimenting with this for 2 seasons with great success and it also turned to be a good choice in this match. De Rossi had an great match and were really putting on pressure and snapping the ball away from Spain who (to me) seemed to do very well building up their attacks with their tiki taka play through the middle even without a pure striker (which surprised many as well) with Fabregas in the false 9 role (the role Messi plays for Barcelona). This seemed to have been a tactic which could have worked out even better if it wasn't for one Italian defender this day. De Rossi seemed to be everywhere in the defence backing up his companions and snapping up balls getting ruled out the Spanish wave 1 by 1 and blocking many attacks as well.

Shirkov, the russian left back, is the first among the 4 russians who I would here include for the team of the round. He was doing well in coming up aiding Arshavin, letting Arshavin plays his free role on the left midfielder being able to wander in towards the middle and giving him an extra choice on the left side and to me seemed to be a factor to why Arshavin and Russia could be so dangerous coming forward vs Czech. He was also stopping and snapping many of the attempts Czech had at counter attacking killing them of before they even could start.

Midfielders:

Dzagoev is the 2nd of the Russians to get a spot in this team after their impressive match against Czech. He was doing well playing up on the right side of Russia wandering in towards the center of the field when they were attacking on left side, being a connecting point with defenders and attackers on other occasions (one lead to goal) and seemed to be at the right spot at the right time and doing many good runs ending up scoring twice and starting another attack who lead to a goal.

Sneijder. Yes I know Netherlands lost to Denmark, an expected weaker opponent, and that put them in a hard position to score goals. I also hear people complimenting the Danes for their defending, but if that is true, then it is just making me even more sure on the choice of Sneijder. He was really the guy who gives hope that Netherlands have some chance at coming back stronger later, and was sending one after the other key pass around on the pich and even had some shooting attempts from distance who seemed dangerous. But it just wasn't netherlands day and despite having 10 key passes in the match (having 3 or more is considered being very influential for a player) it seemed like Robben, Affelay (2nd best of the dutch), RVP, Huntelaar just couldn't get their chances converted to goal, and on another day, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sneijder have 4 assists in such a match. Leaving him out just doesn't seem possible for me.

Pirlo. He was another key player for why the Italians did seem so dangerous vs Spain and why they did get so many chances. Just like Sneijder, he had several passes opening the game or giving the chance to his team mates score, and was also doing well at catching the spaniards dispossessing them for the ball and restart Italians attack being the connection point (along with De Rossi) between defence and attack, the one who seemed to be the guy leading the orchestra for Italy (Cassano helped as well with good contribution in front) and deserved more than 1 assist in this match.

Arshavin, a new Russian player who did well with his passes and runs for them. His vision and chemistry with the other Russians in attack playing smart through balls, 1 after the other, on the counters against Czech, giving them a hard time defending. A spot well deserved in the let side in the team of the round

Forward:

Shevchenko
Ukraine in their home game against Sweden were up for a big task controlling Zlatan in super form, something they failed to complete 100% and he did get a goal putting them 1-0 down and many people thought it was decided now. But fortunately for Ukraine, they still have a striker who knows how to score on the big stage, and has been playing for Milan and their great team (who won Champions league and reached 3 finals in 5-6 attempts) before an less successful spell in Chelsea and then a short visit to the old club before going home to Ukraine and Dinamo Kiev. He didn't get many chances this game (4) but still managed to convert enough to make his team win this match. The question is if he can put up another good performance like this again for Ukraine either vs England or France, making sure his team can go through to the knockout stage. At least he managed to earn a spot in this rounds dream team.

Pavlychuenko. Last to earn a spot, played not too long and that is the only reason for why I perhaps should not include him. But some will probably say that this is just another reason for why he deserve it so much, this is what he did with so much shorter time on the pitch than the others.coming on for Russia, he first assisting Dzagoev and then scoring with a bracer himself.

Shortly about the subs who just didn't make a spot but still deserve some few words.

Buffon, several good saves against Spain, just enough to secure 1 important point in the opener.

Piszczek, connected well with the other Dortmund players on the team coming up having several crosses which was close to be converted to goals. Did also good defensively stopping Greece at the right side.

Chiellini. Along with De Rossi, stopping many Spain attacks. Had a good game.

Iniesta. Was the most influential player of Spain doing many good dribbles around in the italian defence getting close to both scoring and assisting in several occasions.

Özil. Was wandering around in his free role for Germany giving many chances to Gomez as well as the other germans to finish of ending up at 4 keypasses and several passes which the other germans barely not reached to make an attempt from

Mandzukic. Proved to be the dangerous header Croatia hoped him to be playing up front scoring twice in the 3-1 victory over Ireland. Faced tough competition this round but certainly worth to be mentioned
@Markodon Thanks. I hope for Croatia to do well this competition despite having Italians in the DF team

Them and Russia are the 2 teams I hope for this tournement. I guess that is the privilege I can have as Brazil fan without having a country I support in Europe. I get to pick those I get more entertained by
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Interesting thread bud. No real qualms about anyone in the team of round 1. I might have added Agger in there for the first week (edit : on the subs bench), but no major differences in opinion
Round 2:

Malafeev
Arbeola-Mellberg-Hummels-Strinic
Walcott-Silva-Schweinsteiger-Ribery
Torres-Gomez

Subs: Hart - Pique - Srna - Cabaye - Dzagoev - Welbeck - Benzema
FutureMUplayer (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Glenn Johnson deserves to be ahead of Arbeola to be honest. If you watched the game today Glenn was our best defender and had a better performance than Arbeola
I saw all the matches and I disagree. But you are completely entitled to have your opinions of course.

I even skipped the part of reasoning for each of my choices this week as that didn't leave much response to the thread that time. Feel free to make your own lineup though
Team of the group stage:

Neuer
Selassie-Hummels-Rossi-Lahm
Dzagoev-Pirlo-Schweinsteiger-Sneijder
Gomez-Mandzukic

Subs: Buffon, Debuchy, Chiellini, Silva, Gerrard, Ribery, Zlatan

I've finally got to see all the matches and this is my view of who I think deserve to be named in the team of the group stage
Team of round 3:

Isaksson
Debuchy-Papadopolous-Mellberg-Cole
Larsson-Pirlo-Gerrard-Iniesta
Ronaldo-Cassano

Subs: Casillas, Selassie, Ramos, Özil, Pilar, Modric, Zlatan
Quarter final:

Hart
Balzaretti-Bonucci-Terry-Lahm
Alonso-Özil-Pirlo-Moutinho
Salpingidis-Ronaldo

Subs: Buffon, Alba, Coentrao, Ramos, Khedira, Reus, Klose,
Semi Final

Buffon
Coentrao-Pepe-Ramos-Alba
Pirlo
Montolivo-Busquets
Özil
Cassano-Balotelli

Subs: Casillas, Bonucci, De Rossi, Schweinsteiger, Xavi, X. Why.

No other strikers deserve to be subs this time. Klose is the closest one

Kick4Life - changing lives through football