Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
ESPN
Tom (Manchester United) 4 years ago
ESPN bought the rights to show 46 EPL games that were to have been shown on Setanta
Charlie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Heard about it this morning. Good news for fans on this side of the atlantic
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
YAY! For them
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
What about la liga, I'm interested in seeing how Madrd play
Me two. I needa be updated next season
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
But you're playing in it
VanPersie (Arsenal) 4 years ago
New zeleand gets 6 la liga games a week on espn?
Momoali (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Wow really. :0
Oh Yeah. I forgot alexi
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Nice
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Hell yeah us needs that man really
Syraph (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Oh wow, I didn't hear about this. I heard that setanta lost the games, didn't know that ESPN bought them though....
This is amazingly good for fans in the USA. That's me
Darius (Southampton) 4 years ago
Yes! Thank you ESPN! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! One giant step towards people viewing more soccer on a regular basis. This will also give MLS more hype. I'm ecstatic! And since they bought out the rights to 46 of them, I'm probably right in my assumption that they'll be shown on ESPN and not espn2. And again, I'm happy!
I thought that they were goin got turn espn classic into espn3 and show the games there
That'll be cool, as long as espn3 comes along with ESPN and espn2 as basic cable, because I have only all of the regular channels and all of the movie channels, no sports subscriptions
That comment sounded kind of personal. What I was trying to get across is that it'll be useless for them to show it on Classic, or espn3 if it's not apart of the basic package of 1 & 2, or else no one will watch it
I have an itching that it will be on the sports package
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I'm stoked for it. I was just bitching about ESPN too! What could happen is that Americans find they like footy being played on TV often so when the EPL is done, all that will be left is MLS. And as Darius said, there will be more exposure on them because there will be true fans of the game who want to watch it.
JohnnyG (Manchester United) 4 years ago
All we need to do now is get the MLS to play on the same schedule as the EPL and we'll be set
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Nah. After thinking about, I think it may be better for it to be played on a different schedule. That way its the ONLY footy on at the time
Yeah it kind of makes sense now. First EPL, then MLS. Just a continuous healthy cycle of footy all year long, instead of having two seasons going at once
Moocow111 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
   Don't forget ESPN also got rights for 40 something la liga games
Tom (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Sorry for not being more informative but the 46 games are to be shown in the UK. Maybe its both us and america, but as far as I know its for us over here. Sorry if I was misleading
Wannabgunner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yeah but a lot of games are shown on Fox Soccer Channel over here
So its ok
We get games from Serie A/Premier League
Too many from Serie A and not enough from Premier League
But we do get all of the top four big games.... Like in between them

It would be great if it were broadcast on ESPN over here though
Rade348 (Everton) 4 years ago
Hopefully this means the end of tommy smyth not more of him
Wannabgunner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Whats wrong with him?  I like him  Original voice
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
"he;s cool as a cucumber!"
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
"espn has won the rights to broadcast 46 live Premier League matches in the United Kingdom for the 2009-10 season, and has also been awarded a contract for the 2010-13 seasons. "

Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
The reports are primarily from the BBC and other British news organizations. There is no knowledge how these matches will be shown in the US, if at all. I'm hoping that they'll put them on at some point in the day at least, I want HD football! My greatest fear is that they'll broadcast it on espn360.com or not at all, oh boy
Hampard8 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Setanta was super expensive, but I loved it like a son. I'll be sorry to part from ye, Setanta
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
I'm SO GLAD! Now we get more soccer/footy!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football