Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Does England Have A Shot At The World Cup?
Hampard8 (Chelsea) 5 years ago
The press always predicts "a win for England" and comes up with some strange reason why 2006, or 2002, or 1970 is the year for England. There is so much pressure. Can England deal with it? What will have to happen for them to win?
For example, England was supposed to win in 2006 because it was 40 years since they had one the last time
Theduke (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think they look good, but with Spain, Brazil, and others; sadly I don't think it will happen    You never know though...
VanPersie (Arsenal) 5 years ago
England go into all torunaments with high hopes but almost every time dissapoint. So I think no they havnt got a shot
I'm think they do have a shot, but it will be tough....

And you have to go into tourneys with high hopes, if you have any chance of winning....
Galla (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I think that's exactly the problem. The press goes on and on of how good your players are but they don't realize objectively that they are not the best. They are one of the biggest teams but right now you shouldnt be htinking that England is a favorite. Right now Spain, Brazil and others are ahead in the race in my opinion
Yea.... I meant high hopes as a team, not from the press
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
This year they do have a good shot teams arent as good as they were before so I don't even like saying teams don't have any chance anymore
True.... Brazil seems to not be as good.... But why is ronaldinho not playing right now? Injury?
Dunga is a dumbass that's why! Notice no diego(juve) mancini(inter) cicihno(roma)
True.... So he's not injured? Just riding the bench? There's no way...
He is not even on the bench man
Wow.... Dunga is a dumbass haha
Why wouldn't you play ronaldinho? He is legit...
Idk man really
Sorry; just the idea of it baffles me
Well, Ronaldinho's form hasn't been the best lately.... He used to be amazing though, I will say that
Essien1 (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Yeah he really did, remember Barca '06  
Yidarmy4lyf (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
I wudnt play ronald, but i'd definatly play diego, I rekon brazil have a weakness in they're full bks pushin 4ward 2 much. Spain will win it in my opinion, but I dlike 2 see england win it, sadly I don't thinik we will in mylifetime
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Semi-finals.... That's all.... Knocked out by Spain....
No offense, it's not that they're not good, it's just that the others are better....
I mean Spain look absolutely invincible, Germany are always good condenders, Russia has Huddink in control, the Netherlands and France have a talented growing squad, Argentina have Messi and Co.... So.... I don't really see the World Cup being lifted by JT....
But I think Italy and Brazil would fail, 'cause they're just not really up for it....
Yea; I agree about Italy and Brazil.... Especially if Ronaldinho is not playing
I don't even know about semi finals. The quarter finals always seems to be the end for them
Have faith my friend.... !  But not too much, they might let you down...
I hope that Lampard can perform this time. If he does, and Gerrard does, we have a chance. Thank you for the words of encouragement...
I was thinking that this time around Capello might be the difference maker. Also, perhaps their offence wouldn't be quite as bad as you think, because if Lampard and Gerrard perform, we've got two mighty goalscorers from midfield. And Rooney is real good too, he can perform on the big stage. I think that they have a shot if they get easy draws
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
I think spain is the only team that can stop them. Brasil is totally overrated and everybody else is ok. But what I don't understand is why this debate is still going on. Greece is going to win it
I saw that coming.... But don't hold your breath
Oh yes alexi greece has a great chance so does new zeleand I'm putting $500 on new zeleand to win
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I was expecting from alexi.  Where is the other greek?
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
I know, I'm to predictable I'm putting 500 on new zealand as well
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
And I'm putting 50, 000 on Papua New Guinea
Sorry bro, they're out me and alexis new zeleand knocked them out
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
No. There a quite a few that can beat him. Believe it or not, they're not deep enough. There isn't a for-sure striker to pair Rooney, and there's a different set of outside mids every game
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
We're not deep enough, but there is a different set of outside mids every game hmmm interesting
Hmm yes it's something to think about
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
I mean A. Cole and J. Cole can play outside, in midfiled or Defence, but now its Upton ann people like that
Yea it seems we run out of world class players lately
That is very true that there is no strike partner for Rooney. Can he play alone? I definitely think he can with support in the form of Barry, Joe Cole, Gerrard, and Lampard behind him
Run out of world class players what so wayne rooney is the only world class player on england now really lol do you hear yourself guys
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Of course they do. All this italy brazil and argentina are overrated. England can beat them  
May be England can beat them in friendlies but the situation is not the same in World Cup.
The have a Slightest of the chances and to improve their chances they need to find the striking partner for Mr. Ronney, The should try even Owen, I guess he has an edge over others
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
In my opinion they need to find a good, solid, starting XI. They are packed with talent and potential, and don't get me wrong, the squads that they have put out so far have played well, but I haven't seen a starting lineup where I can't point out a glaring weakness that they could pose during the match. In shorter words, they just need to build chemistry with a solid XI + 3 (subs), which all starts at practice
If so the should play 4-5-1 with rooney and figure out the midfield and england have so many quality midfielders why is this even brought up really because they had a bad spell ever team does that's why spain is number on this is just a time where they have the right components and are playing fantastic it will fade again trust me
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I agree, Fabio needs to pick his main 11 (or at least 9 or 10). Once he has that first team in place, they will be able to practice together and build serious chemistry. The teams to beat are Brazil and Spain, so England need to work toward performing at that level consistently. There is a good chance England will do especially well this year and I hope I'll be able to watch them win it
Yeah, they need to have a bit more of a solid squad. As it is, only a few players are able to get settled with the other guys on the teams
Right, their front line (Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, etc....) all work well together. They need to work out the back, particularly a keeper, and keep it consistent so they can work well together once the Cup comes round
See my formation was right
Okay.... Lets all make the best England formation....
Mine is....
-------------------------James-------------------------
----Johnson----Terry----Ferdinand----Cole----
--------------------------Barry--------------------------
---Walcott---Gerrard---Lampard---Young----
------------------------Rooney-------------------------
Subs: Heskey, Crouch, Downing, Cole (Joe), Richards, can't think of 2 more....
Reserves: Milner, Cole (Charlton), Ferdinand (Anton), Agbonlahor, etc....
That lineup is spot on, but I'm not so sure about having James in net. He is prone to calamities at times. Maybe Green, with his penalty stopping prowess, is a better bet
Maybe also stick J. Cole in ahead of Walcott. More experience has Joey. Two other good subs could be....
Well you need a goalie, let's put Green as your backup.
And maybe Bridge as a backup defender who is extremely versatile.
He played striker for Chelsea once in a semi final of the Carling Cup against Wycombe Wanderers. If I remember correctly, he was half decent.
Good formation yamsy I would do the same. Spot on! Actuley 1 small change take barry out include heskey and play 4-4-2
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Ragarsha you have a point. But Italy have a year to improve and I don't think that is enough. And Capello can play with 5 mids. Gerrard Beckham Barry Lampard Cole. And it works either ways. They can defend with it and attack.
If they play 5 mids then they would be useful to create chances and a forward is needed to finish it and it seems capello has no idea to play him alone upfront, and rooney is playing on the left
Personally, I think Beckham's time is done for England. I don't think he has much less to offer
Jaskaroo (Arsenal) 5 years ago
England is about 11 world class players short of having a chance at winning anything, my hope is psyco can do something to produce a truly world class side
What are you talking about england have loads of class players they just usually don't gell and perform. Lamparg gerrard ronney terrt ferdinand and many more
Jaskaroo (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Rooney allmost good enough to be called world class, terry was, his back won't allow him to be any more, lampard "three lions epic fail" ashley cole=landon donovan playing fullback david james? That leaves rio and gerrard reminds of the ince and shearer days
(the rest of the team was rubbish) they just need a keeper, fullbacks, wingers and a striker, then if they get over themselves they might be able to compete on a high level
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Not calling Rooney world class is like say Arsenal will win the champions league nxt season, its just not true, lampard has a ton of class and ability. Rio and gerrard are arguably the best in the world at their positions (or atleast best few). Their ability is not the problem, its them working as a team and getting some good football with a bit of luck going that's the problem
Rooney.... Almost? Remember how he torched the world at Euro '04?
Lampard.... Epic fail? Remember those 3 goals in four matches in Euro '04.... Remember those three goals in the last three qualifiers for England.... Remember those 5 goals in the 2010 world cup qualifiers?
Ashley Cole.... Landon Donovan playing fullback? 'cause Landon Donovan's good enough to even make an appearance in the Premier League.
Terry.... This year voted Chelsea's player of the year, along with Ashley Cole, and Frank Lampard. They must all suck....
They need wingers.... Mhmm.... Let me see.... J. Cole, Walcott, Downing, Wright Phillips.
They need fullbacks.... Oh yeah, that guy Glen Johnson, who just sold for 18 million.... He's a real nobody, along with Ashley Cole, who you felt it important enough to mention.
They need a striker.... That's laughable.... Rooney, who even Jaskaroo said was almost world class.... He is world class.

The only thing I'll give to you is the lack of a stable goalie.
Joe Hart, David James, Paul Robinson, Carlo Cudicini (Yes, he's never had an Italian cap and has his English citizenship), Ben Foster, Robert Green, and more.... A lot of great goalkeepers to choose from, but one just has to step up....
Don't bring aresenal into this!
Yidarmy4lyf (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Haha typical rent boy, just mentioning all the chelsea players, what about all the yungsters?
We won't win this word cup, but we could win the next major turnement, cos all them chelsea players you mentioned will all be retired from international football at least
I mentioned 15 players. Four are Chelsea players. None will be retired. With regard to youngsters, what are Downing, Wright Phillips, and Walcott? I mentioned them, did I not
Yes, they have enough depth and talent in their team, just depends of the form their in going into the WC, they can but I'm not sure they will. I think they will make quarters or semis and then get kicked out
I don't know. With Capello, they could go all the way
They could, as I said it depends on the form they have going into the WC, plus no big injuries, then they can achieve. But I don't think they will win it, they have great youth coming through so maybe next world cup or the one after yes
Well their form has been absolutely fantastic. I want to see them play a full strength friendly against Spain. I agree that Spain is the best in the world, but England playing at their best can beat them and any other team coming up in the tournament. Brazil's form has been lovely in the Confederations Cup, we'll see how they perform the rest of the tournament. It really doesn't look great for Italy, terrible to be jumped by the US in the confed cup
I agree.... I think England, on top form, can beat the best of them.... They have so much quality
Essien1 (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Yes, they are definitely in the running...
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Really, I think almost every team who makes the WC has a shot at winning it. Obviously there are those who have more of a chance than others though! I say England has an excellent chance. It seems they're beginning to play more cohesively together (perhaps even liking each other?!)There is no question that they have one of the most talented squads in the world at the moment, so its all about how hard they play, and how much they want it when it all comes down to the tourney next year. Also, it seems they've stumbled upon a good manager/coach
JohnnyG (Manchester United) 5 years ago
They definitely have the talent, any of the top countries do. It all comes down to mentality and how they play on the pitch.... I always feel that when top countries play it is similar to when Barcelona and Manchester played, it could go either way depending on the day
Yeah, that is quite true. Often, though, top team clashes are nervous, tetchy affairs, though, that do not live up to the billing
I was just about to make a comment like JohnnyG's with those big matches it really can come down to who plays best on the day, 1 players having a bad game could ruin for a team, if the opposition have a player having the game of his life he could win it for them

Kick4Life - changing lives through football