Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Do You Think The World's Best Footballer Will Ever Hail From The US?
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
In the long history of football the greatest player in the world has been from many different nations. Of course the "best" player in the world is all a matter of opinion, but the world can usually put their differences aside and decide at the end of the year who they think is best. Many corners of the globe have been represented from Dublin(Georgie Best) to Buenos Aires(Maradona) to Marseilles(Zidane) to Monrovia(George Weah). South America, North America(Hugo Sanchez, he is at least on Pele's list of the greatest living footballers, but may have never been considered the best player in the world, nevertheless a superb, sublime player) Europe, Africa, and even Asia if you consider Lev Yashin in his day the best player in the world and Moscow part of Asia, all of these continents have had players worthy of the title of best player in the world. And though I know the United States is not a continent, as a country we have never had any player close to that prestigious title. Now football in the United States is growing at a rapid rate, and finally it looks as if our youth players could rival some of the powers of Europe and South America. Surely we are still far off the pace of the rest of the world, and Brazil and Holland will keep producing players of such skill I can't even imagine, but do you think an American kid will ever be considered the best footballer in the world? That is my question to you. Will there ever be a player born in the United States that can be placed amongst side Pele and George Best and Johan Cruijff and not be disgraced?
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I think to answer this you have to decide whether great footballers come from nature or nurture. Are players like Pele, Best, Maradona born with some in-built football 'gene' ready to be used, or is it years and years of practice and skill. I think it's probably a combination of both.

With that in mind, I think that there's every chance that great footballers are being born in the US every single day. Of course there are - think of all the immigrants from all the countries around the world, as well as 2nd and 3rd gen families that are from huge footballing countries.

The problem I see is that the infrastructure isn't there to hone and develop these young geniuses into the world class talents they otherwise could be, if they were born in England, Brazil, or wherever. I don't necessarily mean expensive training schools, but I mean the opportunity to play football for four hours a day after school. I know I did that for a lot of my youth. Just throw your schoolbag into a corner and run out into the park with friends.

I might be wrong, but I think that's the deciding factor. Genetically, there are certainly some great players being born, but they never grow as they could into their full potential
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Hmmmmm, sorry, I have a simple answer. No, but it would be a change    Anyway, you never know - good thread
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Totally agree Ant, that's kinda what I was getting at in my post, great minds think alike.... !
Unfortunately I totally agree with all of you. There is just not the right feeling and passion for the game that there is in other places in the world. You hear these stories about how Maradona use to juggle naranjas(oranges) to improve his touch, when he didn't have a ball or anyone to play with. Or Jay Jay Okocha's stories of playing with his friends with what ever they could find, and when they had a real ball it was a treat and they would play all day. It's this incredible passion for the game, to play whenever and wherever you can, all day long if life allows it that just isn't prevalent in the US. Like you said Ant it is a combination of nature vs. Nurture, certainly we have the nature part down, we produce some of the best athletes the world has ever seen Michael Phelps, Michael Jordan(maybe I should name my son Michael haha) but the nurture part is missing. These players like Bergkamp and Zidane, you would think they were born with a ball at their foot the way they control the ball, I could only dream of having a touch like that.

And I completely agree with you TorresBounce that these players are born with something else. They are blessed, special, meant to play the game. This doesn't come from minivans and orange slices and suburban soccer fields. It comes from football, love for the game, dreaming of touching a ball whenever you are away from one. And sadly that just isn't taught or fostered by American culture. Everything has to be in order here. Football(or soccer) is almost like a game of conformity in the states, where as in other places you feel it is a game of rebellion. When you hear about Cristiano Ronaldo, ditching school to play football, telling his mom he was in school and he'd be playing football instead. It's a game of freedom, and until people really start playing the game like this, without thinking or planning and just play, no really special player will come out of the states. I want to see kids playing on the streets, in parks wherever they can with no adult supervision. That ruins it to have someone watching telling you what to do. Yes a coach is good sometimes, when you are older, but football is a game you must figure out on your own. The best basketball players in the world come out of the states, because in every city there are basketball courts everywhere. I want to see some kids playing football on those courts, then I will have hope that the best player in the world might come out of the states
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
" these players are born with something else. They are blessed, special, meant to play the game. This doesn't come from minivans and orange slices and suburban soccer fields. It comes from football, love for the game, dreaming of touching a ball whenever you are away from one. "

That's one of the best passages I have ever seen written on footytube!
Yea quality post, I think Mary Jane influenced you though, she's always there to lend me a helping hand!
Thanks a lot Ant I am glad you can dig it, and thank you very much for saying that, there are many good things written on footytube, surely you can't mean it haha. And TheTorresBouncy, yes the mota is always there to lend a helping hand, just remember my friend always in moderation
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Can I just divert by saying Rarimapirate, I've always been a fan of the way you write. Truly wonderful stuff
Muchos gracias senor! I would say the same of you I want to teach English one day, so I try and practice and hone my own skills I guess. But I keep blowing off school, and you can't teach anything if you don't get your own licks in haha, so maybe I should choose another profession. I still think it would be great to teach when I am older though, where English is not the first language and where it is the first language I can just hope kids would dig my teaching
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
They'll definitely dig you if you took a class on how to embrace hazy Mary Jane . It's hard to remember the last time I've heard of a person who wants to teach and educate and impart, kudos to that Dunk. You'd make a great teacher and I defy anyone who knows you to say otherwise.

There are some very good points have been put forward already, looking further down below. Looking at what Ant said got me thinking if there is indeed a specific gene that a player is born with. When we speak about players who are born to play the game, we do it because of appreciation, just bearing witness to sheer mastery and skill with passion for what they do, which most don't or are lacking. It's that drive that gets them there. I think and I may be entirely wrong here, but I think its a matter of circumstance along with that, how a kid is honed, developing his skills with the ball as the human body inevitably grows, learning new things as time passes. While referring to a 'gene', I think its the vision that an individual is blessed with. The touch that he understands, the foot-eye co-ordination, figuring out how to hit a swerving ball with the side of the foot and instantly knowing before even trying that it'll go the other way if you hit it with the outside of the foot. Players are taught that as they go through various drills and maybe kicking a ball about over a period of time, but to figure that out, instantly and try doing things that you haven't seen done from a footballer on tv, that's genius. That drive is always prevalent if someone stands out from the rest. One just cannot doubt the love for the game, completely losing yourself and disconnecting from every other worry around you. Its that feeling of true harmony, the best way a person can know it. It's like that first kiss every person remembers, the joy and thrill of it, that feeling stretched over a childhood every time you touch a ball before worldly worries catch up to you. There is no structure at that stage in life, the key is if a person is able to remain with himself with that freedom and be comfortable with it throughout his career, choosing to let everything else pass by as you strive to take that road to greatness. I'm trying to find reasons why such a person can not be born in the US or anywhere else in the world and I'm falling short. Its definitely possible, he doesn't have to be from the suburbs, he could be from a trailer park who happens to be in a community which has a large Hispanic footing, thereby having mini leagues and so on.

The other obvious aspect is circumstance or the nurturing that goes along with the person, if he does have that blessed ring around his head. Just looking at Messi for example, he would not be the player that he is had Barcelona not helped him out and paid for his medical bills after his growth hormone deficiency. He was obviously very lucky to have things work out the way it did for him and that's a result of perseverance, knowing that he could do better and reach his potential if he put himself through everything that he had to go through. The same goes for any person, if there is desire, there is willingness to learn and I see no reason why it can't happen in the US. You do have fantastic athletes at the top of their game, be it Kobe or LeBron, Phelps, Tiger Woods and a whole host of other players who shine in their sport in the world's stage. Coaching is absolutely essential of course and one of the hardest things to swallow as a factor is that there are no world class players playing around you. A footballer has to play with the best, even with potential to reach that level of greatness. Sadly, that's not around in many countries outside Europe or South America. Putting it another way, even if the greatest son of football is born in the US today, he will not be the greatest player if he is still playing in the country when he turns 20. Again, I could be spectacularly wrong about this, but I do believe there is every possibility of having the greatest champion of a chosen sport or profession, in a place where you'd least expect it. Buddha helped me a little while rambling that
Haha nice Raj, good post. I agree with you on just about everything, certainly it is very possible that a great player will come out of the US very soon but I feel like there is something missing. The overall opinion of the game here is just different, for one it is called soccer, I will teach my kids that it is called football, but I don't think the masses of America will come up for a different name for futbol Americano thus real futbol will always be called soccer. Secondly the passion just isn't the same as it is in different countries, there isn't the tradition.

If a truly great footballer comes out of the US, and I am pretty sure that they will come from a big city. Inner city Chicago and Washington D. [C.] have produced some of the best basketball players the world has ever seen, if some of these kids would just start kicking a football about with their friends who knows what could happen. But he could come from a farm, who knows at this point, hopefully football will keep growing and we can build a foundation for a better footballing tradition here. Buddha is a good guy, you have to find your own path though haahhaha
Fussball (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Good post Ramira, People here in US embraced soccer very lately I suppose during world cup 94, they got to know what is football and soccer!I mean the general audience.
And as per the popularity of the game, its increasing but still not completely into the households as is the case in other European and South American nations.
So I conclude by saying in our lifetimes it looks bleak whether USA will produce a player of Pele's stature, as other sports like Basketball, Football attract far more attention and grab the limelight
Its definitely plausible since the game over in US is increasing in popularity, however the chances are slight. Another WC in the US could help a great deal. To be the best player in the world it takes qualities that cannot be taught, obviously to a point coaching is necessary to become a world beater, but it is something that you are born with. Players like Best, Pele, Maradona, Zidane and Messi were BORN to play this game, this is their calling in life and through determination and good quality advice they have achieved the world best status. There has almost definitely been Americans capable of being the world's best but they have not achieved that honor due to other competing sports and a lack of interest in the game.

So there is really no reason why there shouldn't be a world's best player from the US although there may never be because soccer will always be overshadowed by other American sports, its probable that only if soccer gets true recognition and the country is united in one over the game will there be a good chance for a viable contender of world's best football player. There is less of a chance of a soccer great coming from the US because of this reason and also that there are more competing sports such as baseball, tennis, american football, basketball and Ice hockey. Whereas in Europe there is one main sport which is football and this is the way it will always be. Europeans are brought up in the environment of football and gain a passion for the game that most Americans cannot understand. Football is everywhere in Europe and there has never really been any competition for the most popular sport, of course there are others but none can compare.

In summary, Americans will never appreciate the great sport as we Europeans do as a continent, but since players are born to be the best, any country has the potential to have the world's best come from their land, it just takes the right upbringing to release that potential- an upbringing that America may never be able to bestow upon their people
Hhhuhnhj (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Yes I agree. Soccer here in America where I live will probably never, unfortunately be the most popular sport. I wish that it could be like in all the other countries where I could just go play with friends after school and play the beautiful game. Sadly American Football and Baseball dominate my country. Oh well is what I say but I'm going to go pro no matter what!
Shaylin9718 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Agreed
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Not for at least another 10-15 years. First of all in Europe, teams have decent youth academies and are part of bigger clubs. Here in America, there aren't much youth academies. There's youth soccer, but most kids get bored by the time they get to high school. Plus, to be even scouted as a pro, a player has to at least attend college. That's where most MLS teams draft from, collegiate soccer players. Most of the minorities that play soccer here don't go to college, I. E. They are more focused on the pitch rather than in academics. I played soccer on a very diverse soccer team, a lot of brazilians and hispanics. They're good players but they don't bother to go to college. In Europe, it seems, to become a pro, one can just enter a youth academy and just work your way up. Not here. And just recently, MLS got rid of the reserve league, so the whole thing is just lost now. I don't think the Revs (my childhood MLS team) even has a good youth program that will eventually train them to become a player in the MLS. But for a world class footballer to come from the US, the youth system needs to be over-hauled. I mean Charlie Davies played college soccer before he went over to Sweden. There are exceptions though, Donovan being an example who was good enough and worked hard enough starting in a youth academy to get an offer to play for Bayern Leverkusen. But he's 26 now and just starting to get a bit more global recognition. In a couple of more years he'll be done. Look at Freddy Adu, he was supposed to be our next world class player and that never happened because he wasted his talent by going to Europe too early.

Hell, if there was a youth academy near me I would have joined.

Plus, football is always overshadowed by other sports, such as Basketball, American Football and even Hockey. I've always felt it was like a guilty pleasure to be so passionate about football. My friends all don't watch football, so it's just me and my dad. Besides, barely do people play soccer after school just for fun rather than on a team. There's just no interest and passion. The appeal of football is lost because of peers who like Basketball or baseball just because they've always been more popular than football has. Fathers bring their sons to baseball games, not football games here and that's why we'll never really produce a world class player. Unless MLS gets better and is world class like the EPL, then maybe fathers bringing their first son to a MLS game would be more appealing than a baseball game. Then only the passion will be ignited. If we do produce a world class player who can be undoubtly one of the best in the world, he would have to be so motivated and hardworking in order to have done so
Gbherron (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Note: tons of fantastic footballers were born in US but didn't have the guts to play for us (FIFA citizenship rules are rigged, especially for coaches). Does Guiseppe Rossi ring a bell?
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yeah, but it was the coaching staff's fault for not getting them more involved at the U-21 and U-23 levels. Bradley never bothered inviting Rossi or Subotic to his training camps while they were deciding whether or not they wanted to play for the US or not. Obviously they felt like they weren't wanted and would rather play for a more prestigious team
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
We would have a fantastic squad if we'd recruit those guys to our country. We should go to Brazil and get ourselves a Deco or Eduardo. Haha
Pss4dm (Leeds United) 4 years ago
If they took the sport seriously and it was like the number sport above basketball, baseball, ice hockey and American rugby or at least on par then of course. USA is huge it the size of Europe with as many people, so that many people it would become more likely they would produce world class players. As it is now, not a chance, best american player is landan donovan and he currently plays in evertons team who are bottom table premiership and he isn't there best player either
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Although US soccer has improved considerably in the last years (having players like Beckham and Donovan) I don't think it's possible in the next 200 years that Us could produce the next best world footballers.... It's phisicaly impossible
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
200 years?!? *spits water*
Ok now let me point out something. The entire country of the United States did not exist 300 years ago, so saying that something couldn't happen in the next 200? Little bit much!

Now. Patriotic moment done.

I know right now the United States has the pure athletes to play the game of football. But any athlete has to be pointed in the right direction. Football.

The #1 youth sport in America is soccer. We have the most youth athletes playing soccer in the world. We have one of the largest markets for it. We have the largest mix of cultures that love it. I was in Massachusetts last week, in the #2 soccer area of the country, and the makeup of the area is Italians, Brazilians, Portuguese.... In one area?!

Football will become a huge deal sooner than you think in the US. Our collegiate soccer is very good. The club seen here is growing in quality and quantity. Just because our primary league is not of the quality of the EPL does not mean football won't become a big deal.

Tangent #2 done. My point is we will soon have the largest mixture of footy blood ever. And with 300 million people now, odds are good.... We are going to have some superb talent coming out very soon. Notice how we have top athletes in almost every world sport at the summer Olympics. That doesn't just happen. USA is becoming a world power at all sports, football is just one of the last we've embraced because.... Well, everybody made fun of it for so long. That's changing though.

I is done now
And sorry that's a tad abrasive. It is.

But at the same time I think most would agree. And no, I don't think we have to conquer all world sports, but Americans are very competitive like that. Believe me when I say we will try
Yes America didn't exist 300 years ago, but neither did football, so that's not a very good excuse. Although I agree two hundred years is a very long time and it would be very reasonable to say some really great players could come out of the US in that time.

But what you say about America having the most kids playing football in the world.... Statistically that might be true, but I doubt it is really true. Because all these kids playing football in the US are registered and part of the statistics, I doubt any of the kids playing in Brazil right now are written down on any sheet of paper. I don't think the kids playing in South Africa are thinking about what pair of cleats they are going to order next on Eurosport, they are just playing the game. Do you see what I am getting at? Those figures can be very misleading, not everything is recorded in other countries like it here in the states. And honestly I think that is a big reason why football hasn't been able to really grow and take flight here. There is nothing spontaneous or abstract about how the game is taught here in the US. It's all set in place already.

Football is a game of instinct and knowing what to do when the opportunity is presented to you. There are no timeouts in football, your coach can't hold your hand through every play or being telling you what to do. You just have to act on your instincts, and I think the system in the US takes away from that. It takes away from the natural flow of the game, to have some meathead yelling stuff out from the sideline. A good football coach shouldn't have to say anything to his or her players during the match, everything is in preparation, now your players have to perform on their own.

And what you say about conquering world sports, I don't know about that. That's not what it should be about at all, it should be about the spirit of the game, if we look at it like trying to outdo the rest of the world, we will have no chance. You got to think first about the human condition, it only takes one kid, one player and the game could be changed forever
(Did you mean football in America or football in general? Because everybody that came to America.... Was from a football country.)

That's also assuming every kid playing soccer in the US is registered in some way or another, which I know is not true. I taught in a league that was not "registered", and my brother played in a non registered league this past year. My whole family has played soccer at some point in a non-registered league. So once again I also doubt those statistics.... Because they aren't complete.

And I didn't mean to make it sound like all American sports are aimed at conquering, but the people are! Our sports are all considered young, they have less history and importance. Nobody wants to invest in a team that has no history, tradition, etc. and so it dies. That's why MLS is having such a hard time coming into it's own, it's so new. People don't understand how productive or needed it is. And it won't be the best, and until that draw is there, America will not care. Win for us or don't waste our time (that doesn't reflect on everybody, but the whole; American sports have insanely loyal fans at losing teams all the time. But the mindset is to win everything, same as it is everywhere).

Look at our history at the olympics. Americans expect that kind of success every 4 years, plain and simple. That's where our history is, our greatest victories. We have a lot of national pride in the Olympics, and we literally train the majority of athlete from ages 6-10 up to be just Olympians. To cap that off, no, it shouldn't be about winning everything, but ask any athlete, they want to win. The best athletes from every country want to win....

Lastly, and trying not to be too pointed at this, but I know not every coach is the stereotypical meat-head. And what system is there to detract from the game? It's all the same in every kind of soccer. Objective: ball in net. It's about how you do that that matters. At a youth age, of course you aren't seeing fast gameplay all over the field. All you can explain to a child to do is score a goal. And then you see these videos of kids in the ghettos of Brazil juggling like joga bonita would like you to think, but do you think they just started playing? People in other countries play soccer with such amazing skill and instinct because they were born in that country and grew up with it. There's nothing in the water; that's just what they do everyday with their friends behind their mums house. When Americans grow up in that same kind of situation, there's no telling what the result would be. But it would be similar to the same.

I get everything your saying, but I disagree on some things. Ask an American, it's not enough to play a game with heart and soul if that's what you do for a living, you gotta' win too....
Yes I see what you are saying too and I agree with most of it. Certainly not every kid in the US is registered and there are more and more pick up games which is good for the future of football here, but I would guess the majority are taken into the statistics, at least a much bigger percentage than in Brasil or Russia or wherever else. But even if we do have the most young kids playing football here, most of them go on to play other sports, at least at the moment, and their skills will never approach that of their peers from other countries. Till something is changed.

And about football history it wasn't invented, at least the first few rules set in place, till the mid 1800s, close to 100 years after the USA had become an independent nation. So we had the same start to the game as everyone else, we just never embraced it.

I agree that every coach is not a meathead, probably quite the opposite. But I bet you there are a lot more meatheads coaching the game here in the states then in Holland or France. And what you are saying about the kids in Brasil is exactly right, they were just playing football since they could walk. I am sure there is nothing in the water, but they have a passion and understanding for the game that is unmatched here in the US. That's what we have been saying this whole time, did you read anything above? And once America embraces that love for the game I think we will start producing truly world class players. But I don't like the system of youth football here it is too much like little league, I don't really know why I just don't think it will produce truly great footballers. Everything is given to these kids, they don't have to sacrifice anything to play the game. Without adversity you can not achieve greatness, they should have to find ways of playing on their own. If they want to play bad enough they could start their own leagues at school, something.

But what you say about Americans needing to win all the time or whatever, I just don't see it man I am sorry. Look at the Chicago Cubs, they are my favorite baseball team but they haven't won s**t for over 100 years now(last time they won a world series was 1908). But in Mesa, Arizona they are going to pay the Cubs millions of dollars and build them a new stadium with taxpayers money so the Cubs will stay in AZ. Why if Americans were so obsessed with teams that win, would people come out into the scorching heat, pay their hard earned money to watch some team dubbed the "loveable losers". Sure Americans like to win, but not more than any other nation likes to win. Did you see the Olympics in Beijing? The Chinese girls gymnastic team were putting out girls that were way to young to be legitimate, they wanted to win, bad. And they were willing to do anything to do it. And in the end the Chinese as a country won 15 more gold medals than us. We won more silver and bronze, but that isn't considered winning, trust me other countries want to win things just as bad as the USA.
Agreeing.

And I know other countries want it just as bad (that chineese gymnast thing drove me insane). I guess what I was trying to say is the commercialized America we grow up with appreciates winners more than losers. And I know the Cubbies are loveable losers.... But you still love them right? I have no problem with that, that kind of devotion pays homage to a proud history and tradition that is very important for sport. But if you are outside the tradition looking in.... Ehhh you just don't feel right about it. The Cubs deserve to win for their fans, but other people look at that and just disregard all the stuff you love them for. That's why when LA announced to the NFL they were going to buy either Buffalo or I think it was Jacksonville and move em there.... Everybody freaked out. So what these aren't winning teams, but you had better not take them.

Sorry if I made it sound contrary to that. I can talk around a point for hours sometimes.
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
In football anything can happen. The name isn't coming to me, but at one point there was a hungarian footballer who was, to put simply, stellar, regarded by many as one of, if not the best footballer in the world during his time. So if the greatest can come from a nation as small as hungary, why not the US which has ten fold the population. So I certainly see it as a possibility. Unfortunatly the system the US uses for football severely hinders the progress of players. Many don't start playing for competative leagues until they are scouted from collage and university teams when they are already in their 20's. This system obviously does not work. Imagine cesc fabregas only just coming onto the world scene right now. He wouldnt be half the player he is simply due to a lack of experience and time spent learning. Until the US and Canada switch over to a more european style system, I don't see the best player coming out of either country for a very, very long time
I agree that the system as is doesn't support all the kids. But a major initiative for the MLS is it's youth ranks, and providing that training for the next generation. I know it's not European quality (well, it is in a very few cases....), but it's there and working. Our under 18 national team is pretty good. Our women's U-18 and national teams- hey we at least got this- but they are very good. I'm not saying next year an American will pop up at Chelsea, but it's exciting to see this kind of development happening.

Not to mention all the other day and week camps, or private academy's for youth soccer players that are coming into their own, but that's a totally different thing. They are ok for something I'm sure...
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Before posting here I did some research to give America some hope, because I almost feel sorry for them. Let's look in the past shall we?

Who says "soccer" cannot be the biggest sport in America in the future? In the 1950's the three biggest sports in america where Baseball, Horse Racing and Boxing. That's Nothing like it is now with the three biggest sports being American football, Basketball and Baseball (being the least of the three). I'm just wondering why can't it change again? In Seattle they're apparently expecting 43, 000 fans to show up for games. That's about like Liverpool!

Possibly the best footballer could come from the states, But the situation will have to change for that to happen. So we'll see
Boy howdy, let me tell you about Seattle. They have the most electric fan base of ANY MLS team in their first year! Drew Carey (fatty funnyboy) poured tons of money and love into making sure the team started like this. They have parades for almost every home game.... They have some of the MLS's top talent. They have sold out of season tickets and home game tickets almost every game, and they have a large traveling fan base (at least in the west). They are the model right now for footy fans in the US. And it is very exciting. The city of Seattle has already been redubbed a soccer city.

You cannot help but feel good about the game here with teams like that sprouting up. And there's equally loyal clubs elsewhere, too. Columbus has an insane fan base, as does DC. Take some of the most passionate Mexican soccer fans in LA and go to a Chivas USA game.... It's incredible. So I know it's starting to come out and become really important in the US. It's not going to compete with the NFL and NBA for years to come, so it can grow easy and amass a fan base. I mean.... At least I feel good about this.
Vegascoaster (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I haven't read everything on here since that would require a good half hour or so but I'd agree with what many are saying that it is completely possible for the next world's best player to come from the US.

I think there are more youngsters that play soccer in organized leagues than in a lot of your more soccer-oriented countries typically do. What we don't really seem to have is people going into a youth club for a major team when they're twelve to develop their skills. Also a fair number of what would be potential stars go to college and by the time they graduate they are way older than most of the talent coming out of the rest of the world, so they are behind in the game. We do have leagues that carry kids through high school, but I'm sure they aren't as intense as the one's you'd find elsewhere. If there were soccer scouts in the states looking for kids to be the next Messi etc. I'm sure they'd find them but then with the development system in most sports over here I'm not sure parents would let them go live in another country and drop out of school (though I believe education is part of the youth system as well). Usually most sports over here draft out of college or maybe high school if you have that natural ability, but by that time they are pretty old in soccer standards

Kick4Life - changing lives through football