Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Do You Think Ireland Will Make It To South Africa?
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
It will be tough to beat france in order to qualify, but based on their current form ireland have a chance. I think it is unfair that fifa should put all of the good teams against weaker teams, like ireland vs. France. I don't see why france are upset about playing ireland, because they didn't even have to play the strong teams(like it should have been)
Shghal (Borussia Dortmund) 4 years ago
To assemble in the World Cup strongest teams and strengthen competition for the cup
Monrovia (Manchester United) 4 years ago
The french are too good
Johnbull (Millwall) 4 years ago
Hi, I've got a very good feeling about tonight, I think the REAL 'green army' are gonna' pull off a surprise against those frogs, COME ON ireland
Johnbull (Millwall) 4 years ago
Ireland were robbed, all you honest frenchies out there, and barca and even arse fans that still idolise henry should hang their heads low, that was an absolute disgrace, HOW embarrassing
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Completely agree. Henry has humiliated himself here. He really dragged himself down into the disgraceful levels of the most famous cheating footballers
Mauijim (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think it will be really difficult. Even with France's marginal play, the depth and skill of their squad is pretty awesome. Plus, second leg is in France.
I would love to see it happen though, despite FIFA seedings.
Come on O'Shea!
Who would have said that Ireland would almost beat the current world Champions, Italy, and go through their entire group unbeaten. I think Ireland have a decent chance here. It could have been worse.

The entire seeding thing was a complete lie and a joke. They said in September that no matter what, they wouldn't seed the playoffs. Then when tey realised some of the bigger teams might not make it - suddenly they seed the playoffs. Typical money-grabbing rubbish.

Come on you boys in green
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
They should qualify now. Their play off will be extremely exciting, but also extremely difficult, but for some reason I think they will come out on top because how they have played lately. They drew against the World Champions and I think that is enough to make everyone, including their own manager and team, have the confidence to fight their way onto the plane to South Africa
Keong (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Well, michel platini of cos help his natve country what? Lol
Et1et2et3 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Platini is not part of the FIFA but the UEFA.... Are we talking about the Irish team that also lost 3-0 to Australia? And lost to Poland at home? Football is like rock paper scissors, just because one team beats a team that's won against another, doesn't that the first team will beat the 3rd. Leave Italy out of this and concentrate on saturday's game
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I think ireland have every chance, they, ve got this far, so why not.
Although fifa turned the whole competition into a joke by having two seedings.
France are probably not the team you would have wanted, but they have problems of their own, and I don't think the irish lads will have motovation problems against the bigger teams.
So it could be a blessing in disguise
Lukas (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Ithink Ireland will win Trap isn't afraid of them and when we win it won't be a surprise
Salt (Aston Villa) 4 years ago
I certainly don't think France are the force they were this time ten years ago. Domenech is not a great coach and the impact he's had on a quite average French squad has been less than dazzling. Ireland have not been handed the toughest tie by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree wholeheartedly with Ant that seeding these play-offs is disgusting and it stinks of FIFA trying to get certain players into the World Cup. After being seeded once already in the initial group and still come second after not losing a game is something that should have gone in Ireland's favour. Instead they've been handed an away second leg which is a huge advantage for the French. But rest assured that after Domenech's ridiculous comments about Ireland being the "England B" side and then calling them British (!) the Irish players will be 100% fired up for this and Trapatoni has made them a very hard side to break down.

I'd love to see them there because the Irish support brightens any tournament
Thanks!
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
I think Rep. Ireland will tie France, and lose in penalty kicks OR win in 90 minutes
I hope they win though!
Dunne has been in really good form at aston villa and so has keane. They are playing at croke park in dublin. That place is huge. (I went there for a match once)
Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
Yes I would love to see Ireland get to south africa. I'd like to see them battle against the world's top teams like italy, brazil and england. Also, my mate's relatives live there and I live across the pond from them (England), so it would be really cool if I could see them win against a great team like france, portugal, Brazil, Italy, Spain and England. And also, one of my favourite wrestlers come from Ireland, so I am just wishing Ireland some good luck in the World cup 2010 africa
Banacula (Aston Villa) 4 years ago
I have to say I'm not very confident. I just don't think we'll do it when it comes to the crunch. France may have their problems but I could only see one member of the Irish squad actually making the France team, Shay Given.

Don't get me wrong I'll be cheering them on like nobody's business, but a look at the current squad doesn't fill me with hope. Also we still haven't beaten a team ranked higher than us in the FIFA ranking in a competitive game since Holland eight years ago.
World Cup 2010 Play-off Republic Of Ireland Squad

Republic OF ireland (v France at Croke Park on November 14th and Stade de France on November 18th)

Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Manchester City), Keiren Westwood (Coventry City), Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe United)

Defenders: John OShea (Manchester United), Richard Dunne (Aston Villa), Stephen Kelly (Fulham), Kevin Kilbane (Hull City), Eddie Nolan (Preston North End), Sean St Ledger (Middlesbrough), Paul McShane (Hull City), Darren ODea (Reading)

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Celtic), Damien Duff (Fulham), Darron Gibson (Manchester United), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Keith Andrews (Blackburn Rovers), Liam Miller (Hibernian), Stephen Hunt (Hull City), Andy Keogh (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Liam Lawrence (Stoke City)

Forwards: Kevin Doyle (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Shane Long (Reading), Leon Best (Coventry City), Anthony Stokes (Hibernian)
Banacula (Aston Villa) 4 years ago
I didn't realise the profanity filter would edit Sc**thorpe like that, I think I'll spell it like that all the time
Salt (Aston Villa) 4 years ago
It's great, isn't it? You can't even type Nwankwo Kanu!
Scunthorpe Kwankwo
What about Brian Murphy bohs keeper
And its not all about how much you make or anything its about teamwork and Ireland are swimming in it!
Yeah the Irish team were the better team against Italy
Really?  I thought that it was a close match, and it was unlucky that they tied
On paper, france is ahead but anything can happend in football.... If ireland can keep a clean ship at home, I'm sure they got a chance!
Yah, they are very notorious about tie-ing good teams though     I hope that o'shea does well
Lreland definitely got chance, their main players are on top at the moment! Keane, o'shea, given, duff.... While for france, full of superstars but I think anelka only that shone, d rest still unable to fine their form yet! Without zizou around, we can't write off ireland really!
Benzema has been great recently, but just haasn't got a lot of playing time at are. Madrid
That will kill him if he didn't get enough chance to play...
Are they playing at dublin or france first?
Just read this on the bbc football page

France midfielder Patrice Evra has seemingly developed a curious superstition ahead of Saturday's crunch World Cup qualifier against the Republic of Ireland. The Manchester United player has given up drinking Sprite because the green label reminds him of his nation's opponents.
Seriously that's weird I think he'll have to give it up for life after we beat them
Ltm017 4 years ago
Don't say such things!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football