Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
DID YOU KNOW THAT LIVERPOOL HAVE WON 19 ENGLISH TITLES?
DutchReds (Liverpool) 3 years ago
We the Reds have won one more championship than is officially accepted.
When Everton left Anfiled they could only do so by setting up a fresh company with a new board, directors and officials, plus the issue of 5, 000 shares. The Football League allowed this entity to take the name and retain League membership.

John Houlding, wanted his new club to inherit all those privileges, but once this was denied he changed the club`s name.

He registered Everton FC and Athletic Grounds LTD on 15 March 1892 while the soon-to-be old tenants remained in residence, Once that plan was thwarted the new name- intended to be Liverpool Football Club Towards the end of March, just two weeks after the board split, Houlding`s committee passed a resolution giving effect to the suggestion.

During the summer the Board of Trade, a government department, accepted the change of name from Everton Football Club and Athletic Grounds Company LTD.

The Record books reflect that Everton FC hold that title and no Liverpool fan will want to clam the accolade but strictly speaking the REDS have won 19 English titles
SunnyD (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Wow man, liverpool.... This is the only way you can add more titles to your 18.... 1892, I can bet you can dig a lot more and find a few more titles in the history...
Come on SunnyD I was only making the fact clear.... But if you read the statment is says....

, The Record books do not reflect that Everton FC hold that title and no Liverpool fan will want to clam the accolade but strictly speaking the REDS have won 19 English titles
DantheManU (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Wow interesting, makes sense why no Reds fan would want to claim the title haha
DantheManu, that is why I have writen ""The Record books do not reflect"" But it still happend  
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Was this necessary?
Yes as it is a fact and you can not dismiss somethink that is fact
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Was this necessary?
I think so after all we are on a form.... No disrespect intended The BarcaShow
I was referring to Priyavrat's comment not the post Dutch.    Its an interesting point that you bring up
@barcashow

I put this question because he put this same post on the Man UTD forum and plus then he started a whole thread on this so....

I think you were absent that day.... Lol
You could ask me you self, .... Finny enough not everyone is a manu fan.... Hence the post on the forum....
Azeal (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Seriously, what good does this do? Even the club doesn't want to take it. What's the point of claiming a title that's not legit or entirely ours? We aren't that pathetic we are Liverpool
ON WHY can`t you read the post and STOP say it is pathetic READ the post Again.... The Record books do not reflect that Everton FC hold that title and no Liverpool fan will want to clam the accolade but strictly speaking the REDS have won 19 English titles.

I don't understand why you are so against the History of Liverpool FC and the fact that this DID happen.... No Liverpool supporter wants this especially ME as I do go to SEE Liverpool play week in and week out AND I have done since the age of 8.

Satements like "What's the point of claiming a title that's not legit or entirely ours" READ THE POST again before you use words like pathetic.... I was under the impression that this forum was The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate. And you was a Liverpool supporter

Hope you can understand this now!

Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Found this on Wiki.

Football League (1888–1892)
1890–91 Everton Preston North End Notts County
1891–92 Sunderland Preston North End Bolton Wanderers

Football League First Division (1892–1992)Year Champions
1892–93 Sunderland (2) Preston North End Everton
1893–94 Aston Villa Sunderland Derby County

The year Liverpool was founded, Sunderland was the champion ain't it? Everton wasn't even 2nd.... Which title are you referring to?
Maybe he got this in dream.... (sorry liverpool fans this is for dutchred)
Juno.... Wiki is Not always the most reliable source The Board of Trade, a Government Department accepted the change of name from Everton Football Club and Athletic Grounds Company LTD-who finished top of the league in 1891- to Liverpool Football Club and Athletic Grounds Company Ltd
If anyone else comments on this post Please read it before replying
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Dutch, Quote you "The Record books do not reflect that Everton FC hold that title" on above.

1893/94 Aston Villa Liverpool
1892/93 Sunderland Small Heath
Division Two created | top
1891/92 Sunderland
1890/91 Everton
1889/90 Preston any
1888/89 Preston any

I copied the same rubbish fromLink: www.football-league.co.uk. It recognise Everton title in 1891.

The thing is, I'm not disputing Everton won 1891 title. But quote : "The official split between Houlding and Everton took place on the 12th of March 1892, & Liverpool F.See. Was formed on the 15th of March 1892. " copied from liverpool's official site. It meant Liverpool which was created on YEAR 1892 would not exist to claim the 1890–91 title. If you are saying 1891-92, read: Liverpool was formed on the 15th of March 1892, meaning it would be the later half of the competition. And Sunderland , Preston and Bolton came in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Where was Liverpool? Lancashire League. They were rejected first division.

Timeline:
1892 Liverpool Football Club is formed
1892 Reds win first ever game
1893 First game in Football League
1894 Promotion won at first attempt

Grabbed from Liverpool official site.

To me, I don't care if Everton's 1891 title was really won by Liverpool's management, players or whoever, the fact remains to me that Liverpool was not formed before 1891, thus to announce that they won a title when they don't exist seems ridiculous.

The situation is not as if Everton was dissolved, and Liverpool rose in its place to pick up what's left over. You can't just take the title away because the board of trade accepted the name change.
All I am saying is John Houlding registered Everton F. [C.] and Athletic Grounds Ltd on the 15 of Match 1892, while the soon-to-be old tenants remained in residence. Once that plan was thwarted the new name-intended to be Liverpool F. [C.] until the city`s rugby club team objected-Liverpool Football Club and Athletic Grounds Ltd was adopted. Towards the end of March, just two weeks after the board split Houlding`s committe passed a resolution giving effect to the suggestion. During the summer the government department accepted the change of name from EFC who finished top of the league in 1891 to LFC...
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Why open a whole new thread for this?
That's what I want to ask.... Why?
SaHac (Hamburger SV) 3 years ago
Sometimes its better not to rummage in the past. Hamburg was a ballin team in nazi germany, but I'm not going to flaunt it
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Hahaha.... Awesome comment!
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
One of the best comments I have read in 2011
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Nice story dutch, but a story is what it is.
Interesting piece of nostalgia, maybe some shouldnt be so dismissive of it, I don't think dutch is clutching at straws because utd have won 19 titles, if I wanted to be petty, I could say we have more second place positions in the league since its inception, so last year when we were on 18 apiece, if you counted the amount of second places since the league started, utd were better, but its a lame excuse and proves nothing.
Still a good piece of info dutch
I think footytube should open up a section called Trivial but True! Where facts like this are listed....

By the way would that also count for Europe as well "utd were better".... Just to be clear
Nice idea dutch, I like it.... Why don't you go ahead and start it going, set the standards so they don't post any old crap, like for instance, did you know genoa the italian team have cricket club in the name? .... True
Put it in the terraces
I will even sticky it for you
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 3 years ago
Facts are facts.... Lets just say that United and Pool are the 2 greatest English teams since they invented the game.... Having won the most titles than anyone else combined by far and away...
As a Barca fan I can't accept that more titles means that a team is conclusively better.
Lol.... Barca are outstanding Mate I could watch them until the cows come home.... Like Liverpool back in the day.... I think personally!
Peteko 3 years ago
Interesting.

I wonder what happened with the players. Do you know DutchReds, whether Liverpool were created from scratch or whether the team split with some of the 1890-91 players joining the new club? If the it is the first then maybe Liverpool don't have 19 even "strictly speaking". Also if all the team went with the new club and Everton had to be built from scratch than maybe Liverpool should claim that title.
We risk a new debate here:
What is a club?
A) owner(s)
Be) players
See) fans
D) all of above
E) a and be
F) be and see
G) a and see

Maybe if the thread started with Liverpool won 18. 5 league titles people would have been less jumpy, but I think this kind of threads enrich FT, whether you agree or not with what's written here
Peteko,

I will look into that and get back to you.... Looks like Kenny is putting together a good team so I think the Reds may be looking at 20 league titles or should I say 19 !

Kick4Life - changing lives through football