Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Dean Ashton Retires.
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
So he has finally given up on coming back,something many of us probably saw coming.Its a real shame too,he was a very good striker and scored many eye-catching goals.I remember the first time I heard about him,saw him play in the premiership when Norwich were promoted and he was their star performer.Strong,quick and agile , he was also quite skilled in wrong footing defenders and had a real eye for the goal with a powerful shot.Even his England career was short lived after getting injured during training after his first call up(?) if I remember right.Probably the best moment in his career was during that FA cup final against Liverpool,he was immense in that game which the Reds ultimately won in penalties.West Ham will miss him for sure and its truly a shame he had to go out this way.One of those occasions you really do feel for a footballer.

Link: www.whufc.com/articles/ashton-forced-to-retire-200...
Scottie (Manchester City) 4 years ago
What a shame - Dean Ashton was a long time favourite of mine - he was the guy who was supposed to be englands new wonder stricker - lol - never quite happened for him though
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Its a pity to see another good player having to leave the game due to injury.
There was high hopes for dean at west ham and england, but he's had a lot of setbacks, and finally threw the towel in.
I hope dean stays in the game, maybe do his coaching badges.
Good luck dean, whatever you decide to do
Haules (Chelsea) 4 years ago
He was a great player , bad for him , I don`t think he was very old

Omar (Arsenal) 4 years ago
At 26, What a shame Dean Ashton chose to retire. He seemed very promising, but I guess his body wasn't responding to the injury. He could have been great for West Ham, but now I guess we will never know. It must take a lot of time to finally decide to retire at a very young age.
Maybe he'll coach?
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
What a sad story. It's the same players who are injured time and time again. Some of these players just seem prone to it and unfortunately one of them was Dean. I can't believe he's gone at such a young age, he had a real eye for goal and a powerful shot. It's really depressing to see such good striker leave the game this early. Hopefully he'll change his mind
Craxy (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Very very sad. A great player and scored some superb goals! I do remember him getting linked to united once.

That goal against us was a corker!
Senthil (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Its funny and sad, he is only 26, he is one of the best striker in epl and west ham united, he plays very well and good scorer too, but it was shame to hear that he was forced to retire from the team
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Very Sad. I didn't believe it when I first heard. I remember going to one of the west ham games when he played. The fans where chanting " theres only one dean ashton " its very sad. He was loved by the fans. And as said he was very promising D:
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Sad. He was a great player and went down hill because of injuries. He WAS loved by everyone (and Hated sometimes) I remember he scored on a magnificent over head kick on us the other year *sniff*. It's amazing one Bloke can get so many injuries
Yeah I remember that over head kick. Was it 3-1. He just didn't let you guys get the clean sheet
We cursed him for that lol, Yea it was a good one backed up against Ferdinand really great strength to back into Rio and still finish it like that
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
He was a fantastic player and had a blistering shot on him! Best of luck for his recovery
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
His retirement reminds us how quick a football career can be ended
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
He was a great player. That's the problem with football. Once you pick up an injury it can be hard to recover
Theturkishkop (Galatasaray SK) 4 years ago
Sad, sad, sad. He was only 26 and he have to retire. Sad about him. I was shocked when I heard this
Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
Sad story, that. He was a really great player and I can't beleive he chose to retire only at the age of 26!
Senthil (Chelsea) 4 years ago
He was forced!
Didn't choose. He would have been fantastic under zola. Omg I'm getting emotitional
*Bursts out crying*

Kick4Life - changing lives through football