Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Dark Horses Or Surprise Package Of The Season
Thomas1978 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Do think Spurs / Man City / Villa and Everton have the potential to surprise alot of people this season.

Spurs have always promised so much but have delivered so little. However, their record under Harry is not too bad. If they could shore up a little in defence and stay consistent, they could push for a place in the top 4. Definitely good enough for a UEFA place.

Man City have spent so much and have loads of good players now, however it will take time to gel and I still have doubts over the defence and the work ethic of the team. The team's work ethic was terribly lacking last season, especially in away games. If they can have a good start which they should do, considering the easy games they have in prospect, they could push for a top 4 place. A great season in prospect for all City fans.

Villa have done very well last season. They really over delivered in my opinion last season, at one point they were 3rd in the table. They have lost a great player in Gareth Barry, the loss in vital for Martin oh Neil as Barry is central to his plans. The signing of Downing is a surprise for me. With Downing in the team, we might see Ashley Young in a more central position. They do look a little weak in the front department in my view and could struggle for goals. More depth in the squad is needed. If they manage to sign Sneijder, that will be brilliant for them. If the squad can stay injury free, they will do well and push on for a top 4 place.

Everton have really been brilliant in the past few seasons, pushing on and over achieving under David Moyes who is the best manager around the Premier League in my opinion. However, their squad lacks depth, much like Villa's. They are also very reliant on Arteta and the super Cahill. Cahill really should be player of the year for me after doing so well last season. Like Villa if the team stays injury free, they will be dark horses. They need a few signings to boost the team though. The lack of signings is worrying.

All said, we could be in for a really good season as I think we will see the gap between the top 4 and the 3 teams below them closing abit, which will be good for all soccer fans.

Beyond the top 4 and the 4 teams mentioned here, the rest of the teams really does not pose a threat. No offense to fans of those clubs.

===

Link: lets-talk-soccer.blogspot.com

Please do support and follow my blog. Thanks guys.
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I think aston villa will push in the top four. Seem like the top teams are losing their edge
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
There is no way Villa are breaking into top 4, they screwed themselves up by selling Barry and till now didn't replace him. The Dark horse are City they will we very good to watch on paper full of stars. Spurs is also not behind they have also signed many good players and they will challenge top 4, this year the competition intensity will be very high. As far as City is concerned many say the players will not gel very soon but they are professionals and its their duty to adapt to the conditions. City will be a surprise package, I am looking forward to City Vs Utd at Old Trafford
Elucari (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Man City is probably one of the most talented teams in the Premier League, and if they can organize their internal problems, they'll have a superb season, however, my money is on Everton being the best of the 4
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Sunderland is my dark horse. Made several good signings, have a quality coach in Steve Bruce, and I expect them to get into Europe through Europa League
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Ahh yes I was just going to suggest them. I don't think they'll get europe, but they will greatly improve from last years finish. I predict they'll end up a respectable 9-12
Agree. 2 thumbs up.

Bruce is a decent manager too.

=====
Please follow my blog

Lfc4life (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Arsenal gonna' be surprise package of season. :0
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
They proved that today against Everton. So I agree with you  
JohnnyG (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think I have to agree with you too, I was kind of shocked they played so well after losing Adebayor and Toure...
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
But can they keep it up? Or was it just a one time thing?
Everton has always been impressive to me.... Usually finishing in 5th all the time....
As well as being under David Moyes, they could really make something happen this season....
They made it into the FA Cup final, beating lots of tough opponents....
I say they just need to find a good striker to partner with Yakubu.... Saha is past his prime.... And Jo is a little inexperience in the Prem....
Their defence is very stable, with Jagielka and Lescott, they also have Tim Howard between the sticks....
Cahill, Fellaini and Arteta are great mids as well....
Ok.... Scratch that.... After the performance against Arsenal....  They looked doomed!
VanPersie (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Man City I think will really put the pressure on Arsenal and liverpool to up their game and stay in that top four. They have spent a ridiclous amount of money on brilliant players. Their squad I think is better then Liverpools it has good depth and some superstars in their. There is no doubt that they will score goals and there defence looks good with toure and Micah rhichards leading it at the back. If their midfield really fires I think they could be actuley title contenders
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Everton has always been the dark horses, getting into the FA Cup is that really stumbles me last season. Their defence has always be great, having Lescott, Jagielka, Yobo and Baines. I don't really agree with the over reliant with Arteta and Cahill part. Last year, when Cahill was injured, we still have Yakubu as our top striker. But this year, both Arteta and Yakubu has been injured almost the whole season, Saha is inconsistent and gets injured easily too. We got Jo and he really impresses, but I have to say Cahill is really great this season.

Just for add-on, David Moyes has been really the best manager IMO, and some unsung heroes like Neville, Fellaini and Pienaar are really good too. And of course, Tim Howard, the very hardworking American goalkeeper, is the source to our domination over Liverpool and Manchester United in Cup last season
Anybody gonna' gun for the new-boys?
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Well if man city do well I now a lot of people who wouldn't be surprised  
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
If Man City get Lescott their chances of breaking the top 4 will be awesome. If they didn't I think mark hughes should be given the sack as he has so many good players.

Everton will be a hard team to stop with Arteta back and Cahill is arguably the form of his career pumping in goals for club and country. Also with loaning Jo again and having yakubu I don't think everton will have any trouble scoring and for me a big threats aginst the top 4, only thing letter them down imo, is a really good defender or winger!

Aston Villa arnt going to do aswell this season, selling Barry was a bad move, I think they will finish 7th or 8th

Tottenham should do well as they have ALOT of class players, they also look strong for the future with a number of awesome youngsters (bale, dos santos etc....) aslong as players like modric, pualychenko (however you spell it), lennon etc.... Stay fit they should have a good season, although for me their not as big threat as City or Everton to break that top 4 I'm sure they can get 5th.

Sunderland is a team for me that is going to jump a number of spots from where they finished last year. They have made a number of good signings and as a team are a lot stronger! If they first team players stay fit theres no reason why they can't get into top 10.
Lfc4life (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I agree I think with lescott everton might challenge 4th place
They're never gonna' get Lescott, David Moyes is a stubborn man. Lescott is a loyal man
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Lescott handed in a transfer request but Moyes rejected it...
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Looks like Everton has some work to do after what happened today. 6-1 on their home turf terrible
After we got Arteta, Jagielka and Yakubu back. We'll beat Arsenal 6-1 away instead of they beating us 6-1. (Lol, that's quite ambitious, is it? Anyway that won't happen.)
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
everton suck jks

Can't believe 6-1, not the best start to the season. The stadium was half empty by 70th min. I'm sure everton will bounce back. Maybe this is the shock of the season everton crashing!
3 things happened that night....
1. Everton sucked....
2. Arsenal Owned!
3. Crowd left....

Arsenal are now on top of the table with the best goal difference: 5!
Just amazing. Lescott clearly wasn't there mentally and Moyes should sell him. For the decent money he is getting, he can add some beef to his very thin squad.

=====
Please follow my blog

22mill could buy him 2 or 3 decent players...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football