Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Charlie Davies Seriously Injured In Car Crash
Alen (Liverpool) 4 years ago

A fatal car accident in Virginia early Tuesday might impact you.S. Hopes of achieving anything significant at soccer's 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

American forward Charlie Davies, among the team's most promising players in the past year, was severely injured in the 3:15 a.M. Crash on the George Washington Memorial Parkway near Washington.

Another passenger, Ashley J. Roberta, 22, of Phoenix, Md. was killed in the crash.

Police said the driver, whom they did not identify, apparently lost control of the vehicle, which hit a guard rail and split in half.

Davies, 23, underwent more than five hours of surgery at Washington Hospital Center and afterward was described as being in "serious" condition.

Neil Buethe, a spokesman for you.S. Soccer, said Davies' unspecified injuries were not life-threatening but that it was too early to "comment on how this affects Charlie's future."

Davies, who plays for FC Sochaux in the French league, made his national team debut in June 2007 and has played in 17 games for the you.S. scoring four goals.

"Obviously, as a team we are saddened to learn this news," you.S. Coach Bob Bradley said in a statement released by the federation. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Charlie and his family, as well as the people in the car and the families of the others involved.

"As a team, we are relying on each other in a moment that has for sure hit us all hard."

Davies became a regular starter for the national team in the past year. His partnership up front with Jozy Altidore has been developing well and Davies' speed, matching that of Landon Donovan, has given the you.S. Encouragement that it could do well in South Africa.

Davies started and played 78 minutes Saturday night when the you.S. Defeated Honduras, 3-2, in Honduras to qualify for the World Cup. The Americans can secure first place in the regional qualifying group by defeating Costa Rica at RFK Stadium tonight (5 p.M. espn2 and Galavision).

Honduras is at El Salvador, needing a victory and a you.S. Tie or a win to overtake Costa Rica and qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1982.

Anything less would consign Honduras to a two-game playoff against South America's fifth-place finisher, but Coach Reinaldo Rueda told the Associated Press that Honduras was going to El Salvador "with plans to guarantee our participation."

Costa Rica too is intent on qualifying. "Everything is on the line," said its Brazilian coach, Rene Simoes. "We are not thinking about the playoff."

Mexico, which already has qualified, plays Trinidad and Tobago in Port of Spain, Trinidad, in its qualifying finale.

Uruguay can also secure a spot today. It plays Argentina at Centenario Stadium in Montevideo.

Argentina needs only a tie to advance, but if Uruguay wins and Ecuador defeats already-qualified Chile in Santiago, Coach Diego Maradona's Argentina would be eliminated.

Argentina has not failed to reach the World Cup since 1970.

Source = Link: www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-world-cup14-2009oct14...

This is the back of the SUV they were in

Ben (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Sad stuff! Just goes to remind you how unfair and volatile life can be. This was his year to shine....

I wonder if alcohol was involved in any way?

Gbherron (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Most news is on the us soccer website. He broke his tibia, femur, lacerated his bladder, and is just in terrible shape. Doctors say his injuries usually cost a person 6-12 months of treatment and rehab, so this means he could be out for the world cup.

Davies suffered a lacerated bladder and fractures to the tibia and femur bones in his right leg. He also suffered facial fractures and a left elbow fracture. Davies was air-lifted to the hospital where a team of doctors first repaired a ruptured bladder and then inserted titanium rods in both the tibia, the bone in the lower leg, and the femur, which is the thigh bone, with no complications. Davies will be hospitalized for at least a week and additional surgeries will be required to stabilize his left elbow fracture and possibly the facial fractures.

RIP Ashley J. Roberta - 1987-2009
Sean211 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
That's insane...
Alen (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Video from AP    
Keong (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Hope he's ok!
Diablo28 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
That's really sad.... He is young and his career was just about to turn great.... Hopefully I will recover soon and without any sequel
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Season over for davies:

Charlie Davies did not play again this season. The American was operated for five hours and suffered fractures of the tibia and femur, and perforation of the bladder. It should be removed from the land of six to 12 months
Gbherron (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Edit: on average, these injuries take 6-12 months for the average person to recover from. Given Davies' previous state, an in-shape athlete, his rehabilitation should be shorter than that
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Ok but this is not a simple injury. He has lost someone in the accident. The trauma is much more difficult for a football injury
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Oh no, this is sad sad news. He has so much potential I would hate for this accident to ruin career. Surely he will be out for some time, I just hope to some higher power he can make a comeback sometime in his life. I know if I was at his level of football, essentially living the dream and this happened to me I would be absolutely heartbroken. Tragic, Rest in Peace Ashley Roberta
Dgrant117 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
My God, this is horrible news. He was a rising player and I wanted to see him play in South Africa next year. I hope Davies is going to be alright and still be able to continue his career in football. Also let Ashley's soul rest in peace as well
Vodka (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
It is a miracle that he is even a live just by looking at the car you have goosebumps. God will help him get better

Kick4Life - changing lives through football