Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Chants What Chants
Peteko 2 years ago
OK both Arsenal and Spurs have reacted sternly against fans who used insulting chants. Well done as this kind of behavior is not to be tolerated.

Now that said, if a decent bloke like me wants to read what they exactly chanted where can I find it? All the media is being understandably politically correct and is not publishing the chants, only describing them evasively. But the curiosity is killing me. I am curious about what people come up with nowadays. Help me with some badass website or enlighten me with what you know.

Thanks in advance
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I believe the chants were against Adebayor, from the Arsenal fans, suggesting that they wished he had been killed in the Togo team coach shooting during January last year.

"How do you chant something like that?" the Spurs manager said. "You can't be right, mentally. There's kids up there. How do you bring kids up to sing songs about the Busby Babes [and the Munich air disaster]? What's that kid going to become? I dread to think."

Other chats were aimed at Wenger, no doubt calling him a paedophile, which seems to be what he is greeted with by most rival fans.

Absolutely horrible, both of them
Tony (footytube staff) 2 years ago
Yeah the utd fans are big on the paedo song aimed at wenger, I have been at old trafford when its been sung, and not by a few.
I don't see the sense in the song as arsene wenger is no way a paedophile, so where the song comes from, I don't know.
It seems fans will make s**t up just to be able to hand out stick to the opposition, and they don't care who gets hurt.
I think being vocal about your team and a bit of light hearted banter is ok, but when deaths etc: get brought into it, that's wrong, and life bans are the only way forward, with the fans policing themselves by naming and shaming other fans sitting beside them.
Its got to stop
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
The line between supporting your team and hating the opponents has really blurred and it is etched into almost every football supporters club. If you love this club you have to hate the other
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I don't think you meant it to sound like this TBS but that is no excuse at all
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Well said Arry
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
I wasn't trying to defend the behavior. There are moral limits to these things and speaking of death, racism, sexual orientation, religion etc is something which are far outside of the moral bounds of the vast majority of people.

I hope everyone involved gets punished for what they have done and hope something happens to keep this out of the game.

Anyways.... These kinds of things are one reason to look to the US as an example. When these things happen they get punished severely. A few weeks ago in a hockey game a banana was thrown on the ice when a player was going for a penalty shot. The fan ended up getting fined $4000
BoboRed (Leeds United) 2 years ago
Football fans in 'chanting nasty things about their opponents' shock
Doesn't matter if it happens every week, its not right. It's one thing to chant to another team "Shall we sing a song for you" or "You'll never win the league" or something, but its another to personally attack or threaten a player or manager. I remember Beckham used to get chants about his wife and baby, saying the fans wished the kid would get cancer or something? How nasty is that?
Peteko 2 years ago
I remember the chants against Beckham. Despicable
Peteko 2 years ago
Thanks Ant. But I am hoping to find a source with the actual rhymes
The chant: "It should have been you.... It should have been youuu.... Shot dead in Angola - it should have been you".
It should have been you, it  Should have been you, killed in Angola, it should have been  You
Please note that the above are not my thoughts, but is printed merely to answer the question posed by the OP
And, "you should have burned in the riots, burned in the riots, burned in the riots etc"
Peteko 2 years ago
Thanks Bobo
Peteko 2 years ago
Peteko 2 years ago
In some other site, a fan did not justify the chants, but tried to argue that the aim is not to insult the player (for example Ade) but to take him out of his system and sabotage his playing capabilities.
Once, the game is over, he offered, everyone goes to the pub and have a laugh. They don't seriously hate. (Which I very much doubt, but that's what he said.)
I understand why they do it, to psychologically affect the player, but in any other situation I can possibly imagine apart from a warzone, it would be seen as one of the lowest forms of hatred someone can do.

Imagine if you were a footballer and your only child was killed in a car crash, and you had to walk out there onto a pitch a month later and 20, 000 fans were cheering and celebrating the death, trying to put you off. Is that ok? Is it a bit of fun?

I know you were stating the fans opinion, not yours, but I'm answering the fan if he was here

Also, at least the clubs see the seriousness of it - both Arsenal and Spurs have sworn to give bans to any fans they can recognise chanting the hate
Peteko 2 years ago
I think it is all about mod mentality. You stop having an individual conscience and you "hide" in the excitement, in the safety and in the collective responsibility of the crowd.

The same kind of mentality has produces mass crimes against humanity elsewhere, so chants is the least mod mentality can do.

I always suggest public individual punishment and embarrassment to emphasize that people remain individuals and that joining crowds does not save you from being held personally responsible. I think this is key to any possible progress
I agree completely Pete and that would be a good way to go about eradicating the problem. Think you mean mob mentality though haha
Peteko 2 years ago
Hahahahahahaha that one is called Freudian slip, if you know what it means. Lol. But yeah, I really meant MOB mentality. (And surprisingly enough I have made the same error twice.)

Thanks for mentioning it Donncath, that's certainly not what I think of our beloved mods
Peteko 2 years ago
Here's from a poster in The Guardian's blog:
"You can't realistically criminalise this kind of behaviour - its too close to censorship and infringing on people's freedom of expression. Essentially this is a moral issue - and the best way to impose moral standards is a public sanction and humiliation of those involved. "

And here's another opinion:
The game is probably less violent and overtly agressive now than it has been for many years -it's just the wider reporting of it makes it a 'problem' now as if it has spiralled out of control when in fact crowds are quieter and more docile than they have ever been- for want of a better description, middle class sensibilities are clashing with what is the remnant of terrace culture
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
They can do something about it, up here they have taken a zero tolerance stand on sectarian chants at games now, these songs aren't generally aimed at any certain player but its part of a long nasty history between the two clubs, they have been trying hard to eradicate it for years now and they even introduced a new law on sectarian and abusive singing not just in games but on the streets as well!
Already this season I have heard of a few supporters arrested and due to stand trial for singing these songs at matches and if found guilty will receive lifetime ban's from their respective clubs and maybe even a prison sentence, its harsh but its their way of trying to clean up and eradicate the sectarian divide between Rangers and Celtic!
Back to the point, they can do things to stop this kind of thing going on at games, its horrible to think that young kids will be listening to people talk like this about another player, and it shouldn't be allowed, if they started ejecting people from the games for singing such things the message would get across that this sort of thing is bang out of order!
Well those chants are absolutely disgusting I don't know what to say about it. Except people are f****d up sometimes, just people kicking around a ball if you step back a bit
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Its pathetic. How can you wish someone's death because he did something negative towards your club? What infuriates me even more is when people make fun of Hillsborough and Munich. That's f*****g disgrace
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
There's a lot of crazy chants out there. Harry Redknapps seems to get them about his twitch. Not amongst the worst but I guess he wouldn't be too happy about them anyway...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football