Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Champions League 2010/11
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
The play-off round is all set-up with some interesting fixtures.

In the League Route Tottenham should overcome Young Boys from Switzerland.
Zenit St Petersburg (Russia) might struggle with Auxerre (France), Dynamo Kiev (Ukraine) vs Ajax (Netherlands) and Werder Bremen (Germany) vs Sampdoria (Italy) should be some really exciting games, same with Sevilla of Spain set to met Portuguese neighbours Sporting Braga, which should be a great clash!

Even more so in the Champions Route with FC København of Denmark taking on Norwegian Champions League veterans Rosenborg. Ex-goalkeeping great Peter Schmeichel described the draw as the beginning of an 18 months long war between Denmark and Norway. (Also referring to Norway and Denmark drawn in the same Euro 2012 qualifying group.)
The other fixtures in the Champions Route play-off are Salzburg (Austria) vs Hapoel Tel Aviv (Israel), Basel (Switzerland) vs Sheriff (Moldovia), Sparta Praha (Czech Republic) vs MSK Silina (Slovakia), Partizan (Serbia) vs Anderlecht (Belgium).

Any predictions?
WhiteHartRogue (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
I watched the draw live & I gota say once I saw the Young Boys get pulled out 1st I was hoping for us to get drawn next, I'm happy we got one of the easier draws, people can say that you have play the harder teams eventually but we have a busy schedule at the start of the season so I'm happy with what we got.
As for the other draws there is some crackers lined up, like Ajax VS Kiev, that will be an amazing battle, as will a few of the others.
I just can't wait for the Lane to get rockni' when we get our first champions league game there for donkeys.
(btw, I thought it was only Wenger who likes playin with the young boys?)
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Manchester United vs Barcelona final. But this time United wins
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago

Unless you believe in magic, they won't even pass the group stages
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Wow. I wouldn't mind either team winning. Or losing.... Hmm.... What a predicament...
LyverBird (Liverpool) 4 years ago
@Kingsickhead,  This by far is the funniest comment I've ever seen on footytube !
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I'm preety sure jose has it in the bag, its just so obvious real madrid are gonna' win it
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yes.... Unfortunately D:
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Hmm yeah, second that. Grr
WhiteHartRogue (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Why is it obvious, I don't remember him winnin it with Inter his 1st season, or any season with Chelsea
Barcelona will again be strong (not too sure that Real Madrid can tumble them neither in champions league or La Liga....). Bayern München will probably also do well again, so will Manchester United
Robbery69 (Bayern München) 4 years ago
Nah I don't think Madrid will take it but I hate them a bit less now since Khedira plays for them, so if he starts which I hope and if Bayern are out andif real is in the final I won't mind if they win

Ill be happy if Bayern gets to the Quarterfinals anything more and it will be awesome, but I think we can play a role in this years tournament again.

Should be an exciting campaign as always
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Haha like his first season with inter or all his seasons with chesea
Lol Really? Wow you guys really think he's got it? Not with that backline! Inter Backline is superior to Real's. Theyll do decent maybe even Quarter finals unless the solve that Cb Lb problem they have
Madrid's subs and second team are now better than most of the other teams in the competitions 1st teams. I think it's time they should return to dominance. >
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I have a feeling Liverpool are going to win it don't ask me why lol just a feeling
Rob don't mock us, its gonna' come and haunt you in a couple of weeks
Thank you Ramos its so easy to support United. Battyman
Do you guys realize that Drogba had 3 assist in that game?
LyverBird (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Real Madrid relationship with the round of 8 was over years ago, and I don't think any human being can join them again!
Sounds as if Martin Jol might leave Ajax (for Aston Villa) if they loose the champions league qualifyer vs Dynamo Kiev
I have my money on either liverpool or Juve
Liverpool v Juve in the final surely
Juve, certainly deserves to. Love to see them as a super power again. And a UCL title would christen a new age in Juventus history....

Albeit all unlikely.

This year it's the same for L'pool, too. Should we reeeaaallly expect them to win anything this year? I'd be satisfied seeing them survive as a brand and getting a new owner (rich in oil).

The pinnacle for them this year would be to sign an injured, out of shape, and goal-less version of Leo Messi for a bargain. Preferably with at least one amputated arm. If he'd only start driving a little more dangerously.... Or Ronaldo. The fat one. And then just watch him samba in the jersey sales.... All 12 of them.
And how the hell exactly can Liverpool or Juventus win the champions league this season...
Easy. Eyjafjallajokull just has to erupt while Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs are in flight, and the after shocks have to destroy the road ways that every other European champion travels on.

In short, everybody else just has to die.
Hithere (Manchester United) 4 years ago
+10 points for spelling Eyjafjallajokull right.  I had to do a presentation on it once. It was a nightmare whenever I had to mention the name.
Well you should have used the same no-fail spelling technique as I did: copy & paste
My prediction: every team that said that they would win the treble this year, actually WILL....

And then Leonardo Dicaprio will explain to them that it's all a dream....
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Is this post a dream?
Well, my stack of cards hasn't fallen and my toaster isn't working. Not sure. It could be...
Lol I think Scooters gone a bit mad
YOU haven't SEEN inception manuk?    You have missed everything!
I don't think he has, shame
I'm sorry I'm not up to date on films
Go eat a muffin
If it crumbles, it won't be a dream
Keong (Manchester United) 4 years ago
A lot will go for real but chelsea want it badly...
The fear is it may be the last year that the squad is this strong. But, if we're anything like United, I think we will manage with our geezers starting 80% of the games for a few more years...
Don't worry, u've no debt and got roman backing the coach.... This season UCL, i'll pick chelsea!
Not with those old bags we have like Anelka lol
Lampard, malouda, essien, ramirez.... Only barca can match!
Nah I think Madrid can match Chelsea or Barca now.... And not just because I am a fan of Madrid or Chelsea.... But Madrid could always field a fresh team, weather that means regular starters that didn't have to play full games, or what. That and they finally have everything they have needed since 2006 ended; new blood in new players, a new hot-button coach, backing from the board.... And aspirations for winning. Madrid will be a force.

Chelsea will struggle. They lack the depth they had, and I like what they have done with the transfers and all, but we have always been shot in the foot when we were tired. We have too many pieces we need to win that will be relied on for the regular season, It's going to be tough
Real aka city, they have a lot of talents in any position but they haven't have time to gel as a team yet.... Gave them a year or 2 they'll be there.... Although I'm a united fan but our midfield still weak compare to the rest of europe big guns.... And chelsea always played good in tournament football...
As long as Anelka and Kalou are on Chelsea we will be weak
If you removed those 2, chelsea will be weaker! ^^
I'm with Keong there. Anelka provides goals, and Kalou provides brilliance...
Well, both of them already proved that they're still world class by scoring 2 goals each against wigan just now.... Superb performance by chelsea tonight and hope my team can do the same vs fulham later! ^^
Yes they scored by the class of Drogba. Anyone can score tap-ins. Please I hope Drogba stays healthy
We really do live and die by the Drogba; it's not as obvious as other teams with a Darren Bent or a Wayne Rooney, but Drogba is the purest form of forward I can remember seeing. He just scores when he has the ball.... Other big names on our squad will always provide some extra goals, but Drogs really gets the engine going. He is irreplaceable
Big, strong, fast & deadly.... 1 of d best foward in d world no doubt!
Tuesday's play-off matches:
Young Boys - Tottenham 3-2
Zenit St Petersburg - Auxerre 1-0
Dynamo Kiev - Ajax 1-1
Sparta Praha - MSK Zilina 0-2
Rosenborg - FC Kobenhavn 2-1
Wednesday's play-off matches:
Werder Bremen - Sampdoria 3-1
Sporting Braga - Sevilla 1-0
Partizan Beograd - Anderlecht 2-2
Basel - Sheriff 1-0
Salzburg - Hapoel Tel Aviv 2-3

I guess all ten fixtures are pretty open ahead of the return matches....
Tuesday's 2nd leg matches:
Sampdoria - Werder Bremen 3-2, Bremen through.
Hapoel Tel Aviv - Salzburg 1-1, Hapoel through.
Sheriff - Basel 0-3, Basel through.
Sevilla - Sporting Braga 3-4, Sporting through.
Anderlecht - Partizan Beograd 2-2, Partizan through on penalties
Wednesday's 2nd leg matches:
Tottenham - Young Boys 4-0, Tottenham through!
Ajax - Dynamo Kiev 2-1, Ajax through.
FC Kobenhavn - Rosenborg 1-0, FCK through.
Auxerre - Zenit St Petersburg 2-0, Auxerre through.
MSK Zilina - Sparta Praha 1-0, MSK through
That Spurs game almost bloody killed me!
We definitely had a real shocker for the first 30 minutes. Young Boys started in a mad tempo while the Spurs players seemed stressed and flustered, with huge problems settling down and playing their own game. Even though when they in glimpses did, they looked as if they should be the stronger team.
The first goal was off-side, the next two were good performances from Young Boys, mixed with plenty of mistakes from Spurs.
Our biggest problem, as I saw it, was the choice of Palacios ahead of Huddlestone. Palacios always under-performs in the big, important matches. Sorry to say so, but I can't wait for Sandro's arrival!
Assou-Ekotto got a yellow card, which I thought was a bit harsh, but both him and Bale were struggling to get into the match. Smart move then by Harry to take Assou-Ekotto out and pull Bale back and put Huddlestone on. I've never been the biggest Huddlestone fan but lately he has started impressing me more and more. Obviously he was just what we needed to get some order back in midfield in this match. (Capello got to make space for him in the England squad!)
The big positive is that we managed to pull two goals back. What looked absolutely hopeless at 0-3 doesn't look too bad now with 2-3 before the 2nd leg at WHL. If we can pull through next Wednesday all the sweeter this is going to be!
Maybe because of the artificial pitch? ^^
But I think spur can win the match at w. H. L easily.... If they can make it into the group stage, then luis fabaino is urs!
I'm sure die hard fans from every club have had match experiences like this. It was a match where so much went wrong. Bummer is it was such an important match. Spurs is still a fantastic team and will bounce back, hopefully all in time for the return clash at WHL!
Don't worry, they will.... 30m is waiting for them if they get through.... ^^
You just pulled in Gallas, so if you need a defender to annoy Arsenal fans with, you got him
LOL
Come on you Spurs!    And come on Rosenborg, crush those bloody Danes!
I think chelsea can win it this year, last season I think chelsea lacked the midfield presence when essien got injured. They now got romero. I can see them aiming for finals atleast
I don't think so.... Chelsea have yet to succeed against world class opposition this season. We'll see
But none of the world class team want to play against chelsea also...
They can this year I think. Inter will not play like they did last season, madrid.... Well that's chelseas only real competion I believe
Your writing off Manchester United, Barcelona?
We didn't focus on UCL this season, I think unless the board want $$$ badly.... UCL can make money for us but BPL is sir alex 1st target! ^^
Urm.... Not until another big presence in the team. Like Ronaldo for example. You need some thing like that to compete with the big boys
Agreed with you on that ramos but impossible is nothing if we stay healthy entire season.... ^^
I like the current united team, I think the ideal end to the season for you guys would be to finish off in first. Everything else can wait lol
Well, no more budget, what to do? LOL we really need to sack ours owner then we'll be alright! As for liverpool, top players starting to look elsewhere.... With their standard, they should bought sergio ramos instead of paul kochesky...
Haha would love that but can't see it happening
Yes I would love torres to stay, but can we keep him when we don't deserve his quality?

Until he regains form he fits Liverpool just fine lol But I would like to see liverpool keep him and get back in the top four. Otherwise Man city will take your place...
I think where United is going to begin to falter in the upcoming years is the pieces they rely on that are aging; they are an ancient team now by most standards. If they are serious about competing in multiple competitions to win, injuries will start happening, and if they older fellas get knocked funny, they could be done. I think if 2 or three of United's regular starters are injured, it will begin to make things very difficult. Otherwise, it will be United as usual...
You can't win it with kids.... Arsenal dy proved it, so...
Arsenal are winning with an entire preschool.... What do you mean, Keong? Lol...
Nykmeister (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
My predictions, I think ManCity, ManU and Real will be out this champions league. As for who does well, I think Tottenham is gonna' do well, or atleast better than expected. The usuals are obviously contenders for the final, Chelsea, Barca. I would like to see Arsenal in the final dunno if its gonna' happen. Maybe Inter again but it doesn't seem likely with Moratti not spending to bolster his team which is needed to keep up, and Benitez seems too cold to drive the team.

Just being realistic
Yes Man City going out is very realistic considering they didn't qualify for the champions league
Since when city involved? Next season probably? LOL
Btw, I don't think spur will go far either although they've got the players capable of doing something great but they still lacking the experience.... They've got inter & bremen in their group but I still hope they do well!
LOL Forget Liverpool and Juve. I'm sure man city are the faves
Probably! LOL
Lool haha all inter fans are mad
AhmadSK (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Of course Manchester United, Barcelona, Bay Munich, Inter and Arsenal will do great in the champions league this season but I say Valencia and Tottenham will be big in surprising this year with some underdog wins as they get into the champions league
Tottenham got a fantastic group! Love it! We'll get some world class football and that's what it's all about!
I actually believe spurs can hold off inter at home and if you lurk a late goal at milan, you never know. But maybe rafa can get a little pay back for stealing his 4th position.
Inter played awfully against a. Madrid tonight, the likes of lennon or santos probably can tear them apart.... The youngest inter player tonight was scheneider!
Haha the second goal they conceeded got me confused. What the hell happend lol. If that's rafas influence to italian footy I'm happy he left and now is ruining one of the teams I hate.

Why did he remove sniedjer off btw at 1-0? Lol also samuel was terrible
Maicon can't keep pace with simao on the right.... Inter best players last night was cesar, lucio & eto.... The rest still need some match to regain their fitness...
I found it strange how bad the defending was, come on this is inter who fought aguarbly the biggest challenge in the league last season to beat roma. And yes maicon didn't pick up simao at all, I saw that.

I'm happy that athletico won, haha the cup is bigger then lopez when he picked it up
Inter aka ac milan version 2.... No wonder mourinho left them before it's too late! ^^
I think they'll bounce back, it's too early to write them off though!
Hmm version 2 eh lols.  I don't want they to bounce back, I want roma or the "Real" Milan to win it next year
Any of the 32 teams positioning themselves as the favourites? If so, why?
Great to see four English clubs amongst the 32 but personally don't think any of them can be regarded as favourites
Seriously not regarding chelsea as a huge contender?
Nope, I don't think they can win it. Personally I would think United will do better in Europe but I also doubt they'll win
I know the current chelsea side cannot perfom to the full when needed, but I think you are seriously writing off one of the contenders. And united will only win if they get it easy like they did for the past couple of years.

And even then I doubt it...
Well, I don't think Chelsea is a better team this season than what they were last season. They have some brilliant players, with Drogba on the top of the pile, while the likes of Lampard is slowly getting past it. I've always thought Lampard a great player but his impact will subside. It's on the European stage it initially will be most noticeable. By the time Euro 2012 comes around he is unlikely to be in the England squad, by then it's a good chance he'll be struggling for a place in Chelsea as well. I guess what this Champions League campaign will bring will soon be seen
I think Man Utd and Chelsea will both be huge contenders.

Shorif, earlier you said United couldn't win without another ronaldo type player in our squad, well then who do chelsea have?
I think Barcelona must be the obvious favourites. It's a complete team with everything running on rails.
The two biggest challengers, should Barcelona stumble, I believe would be Real Madrid and AC Milan.
The chasers behind these three would be Inter Milan, Bayern Munchen, Manchester United, Chelsea and also Ajax
Ajax? In year 95 probably but they turn into selling club since then.... I'll go for spur as dark horse!
Ajax really does seem to have become the best breeder for Dutch talent in Europe; then they move to big clubs, and reinvest tie in the national team.

I think all that selling has hurt them. How many players do you see moving back to Ajax after a big transfer? On the European front, I don't see them as much more than minnows. They have about as much chance as Spurs. Spurs will have to choose between a deep UCL run of a top 5 finish in the PL. We'll see how they manage
Ajax have an excellent youth academy and they have a great history! The Ajax team of 2010/11 looks real good, I think. I've been watching their matches and been quite impressed. They've come in one helluva champions league group, with Real Madrid, AC Milan and Auxerre, but I don't think anyone should be surprised if they cause some major upsets...
Technically, they did.... When Real actually played like Real and made them look a little less like Dutch champions.... It was an a great performance for Madrid, but embarrassing for Ajax. Truly...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football