Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Best Goalkeeper
4 years ago
Lets debate on best goal keeper

Bogdan Lobont probably don't know him

Bogdan Ionuţ Lobonţ (born 18 January 1978 in Hunedoara) is a Romanian goalkeeper playing for AS Roma and the Romanian national team. Lobonţ has been popularly nicknamed "Pisica" (The Cat) in Romania due to his quick reflexes, compared to that of a cat.

On 25 March 2008, Lobonţ was decorated by the president of Romania, Traian Băsescu, for the results on Qualifying to UEFA Euro 2008 and qualification to UEFA Euro 2008 Group see with Medalia "Meritul Sportiv" — (The Medal "The Sportive Merit") class III.

Lobonţ first played for hometown club Corvinul Hunedoara and he remained with the team until 1997, when he moved to Rapid Bucureşti. He enjoyed success there, and was picked up by AFC Ajax in 2000. However, injury and inexperience combined to keep him out of a starting role and he was loaned to Dinamo Bucureşti for the 2001–02 season.

Upon his return to Ajax, though, he was the team's primary goalkeeper. Although he struggled with injuries from time to time, he played well when available in both the Eredivisie and the UEFA Champions League.

In January 2006, Lobonţ was sold from Ajax to Italian Serie A club Fiorentina, which was looking for a goalkeeper after the injury to starting goalkeeper Sébastien Frey. Although he played particularly well, Frey's return meant that he would spend most of the time as a substitute. Because he had also lost his place on the Romanian national team, Lobonţ made a surprise move back to Dinamo Bucureşti in the winter of 2006 in order to help them win Liga I and qualify for the Champions League

Lobonţ plays an important part of the Romanian national team, earning over 70 caps, his first being in 1998. He was part of his country's UEFA Euro 2000 and UEFA Euro 2008 squads.

He turned in a particularly strong performance in Romania's group stage game in Euro 2008 against world champions Italy, saving numerous well-placed shots and keeping his team's hopes alive with a 1-1 draw.

1995–1997 Corvinul Hunedoara
1997–2000 Rapid Bucureşti
2000–2005 Ajax
2001–2002 →Dinamo Bucureşti (loan)
2005–2006 Fiorentina
2006–2009 Dinamo Bucureşti

Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Lol a slightly biased view lets do this right, current goalkeepers from what i've seen last season I would have to go with Julio Cesar, Reina and Van Der Sar. I think Buffon, Cech and Casilas are better but on last season they werent up to scratch.
4 years ago
He is current
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Lobont is really a good keeper, he is really underrated. Really don't know why no top teams want to buy him
Vivaldi (AC Milan) 4 years ago
He is currently the 4th keeper of Roma, after Doni, Julio Sergio and Artur (3 bad brazilian keepers).

Very underrated huh?
One can watch the goal he conceded to Naples to understand why he is the 4th keeper. He is not even in the top 100 keepers
Yamsy (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Peter Schmichael!
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Erm Current keepers?
Aussie1991 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I would have to say my top keepers are:

1. Reina
2. Casillas
3. Buffon
4. Victor Valdes

PS.... Keep an eye out for Francisco Guillerme Ochoa.... Mexican national goalie
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 4 years ago
We wouldn't miss him a mile away, look at his hair.

UgoDroPiero (Juventus) 4 years ago
Haha
4 years ago
What about lobont though
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
What about lobont?    1. Casillas  2. Reina  3. Valdes  4. Buffon  5. Almunia? /Given/Jaaskelainen/Schwarzer
4 years ago
Lobont is better than almunia
Valdes is awfull watch the espanyol game
4 years ago
Valdes is good but not this season
Illskillz718 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
You might not want to put Reina at two given his recent performances. Lobont is definitely very skilled. I saw that game against Italy, and I was baffled by the saves he made. Very impressive. Granted he's not going to get much attention from the lads over here because most of his career he has played in a league that doesn't get much air time and is not as marketable. You said he's playing currently in Roma? Because I don't see him on the roster. If he can get into a bigger league and display his skills, then he'll be the topic of conversation; unfortunately there is a big league bias
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I think currrently there are quite some good keepers. Of course there are the big names like Casillas and Buffon, who are amongst the greatest, but there are also lots of players from smaller teams that are really good.
1. Mark Schwarzer (Fulham FC
2. Stefano Sorrentino (Chievo Verona)
3. Samir Handanovic (Udinese)
4. Luca Castelazzi (Sampdoria)
5. Diego Benaglio (Wolfsburg)
6. Tim Howard (Everton)
The above are some lesser known players who are really, really good.
In the history of the game though, I would say Peter Schmichael.
And just to prove that Casillas (and Buffon) is not overrated, check out this video.

I haven't noticed him to much recently. If he's not playing in Serie A, Primera Liga or Premiere League I wouldnt see him too often.... I keep an eye out though
Are you guys kidding me? Julio Cesar? Buffon even said Cesar is the best in the world at the moment, he's just sick right now, saving Brazil's and Inter's asses all the time man, just a beast right now. Watch this Lobont kid:

4 years ago
Not impressed, try having a keeper from a country young in football, defend against the mighty Italians in euro 2008
4 years ago
Julio is okay to me
Blech, Cesar is rubbish! He makes a few amazing saves (I'll give you that), like against south africa but he isn't consistent at all! He didn't play well in all the other Confederations cup matches.

I haven't seen enough of this Lobont dude but compilation videos never are a good way to judge a player
Darius (Southampton) 4 years ago
Lol At the beginning of the Julio Cesar video, I love how they chose the vintage 1980's sitcom montage music lol It was great!
Devang (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Those were some pretty good saves.... He is incredibly agile and swift
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
If just basing on Agility and swiftness, Ochoa is incredible!
1. Iker Casillas
2. Julio Cesar
3. Edwin Van Der Saar
4. Gigi Buffon
5. Petr Cech
6. Pepe Riena
7. Igor Akinfeev
8. Mark Schwarzer
9. Jussi Jankskileinen
10. Victor Valdes
My thoughts: Valdes should be higher, Cech should bee lower (he hasn't performed lately)
I never thought Valdes was "that" good, but I was always impressed by Jussi...
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
MARK schwarzer WHAT THE HECK he shouldnt be in this list
Schwarzer is a gun!
Great list but valdes is weak and akinfeev is only good in computer games (punches too much)
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Yogan, Schwarzer is an amazing keeper. He is part of the reason Fulham got into the Europa Cup. He works miracles...
HAWJ10 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Victor valdes is the best
Tell that to Casillas.... I'm sure he'll have a word to say
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 4 years ago
May be he will have something to do
4 years ago
Lol  
Valdes? He's s**t, ok. He can't even get in the Spanish squad. He may have some great saves, but he makes mistakes way too often. I'm also a Barca fan, but I don't think Valdes is the best, he's just good
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Oh c'mon people you've gotta' look at famous goalkeepers - if it's just current then I'd have to say probably Cech or Buffon - maybe Julio Cesar. Cech didn't have a great season, and Italy got nowhere near winning the Euro 08. Casillas is also a good player, but Victor Valdes never plays internationals so his manager can't think he's that good, and neither do I. Robert Green and David James are okay for England, I don't know why people are saying Akinfeev and Jaaskelianin - however you spell it. Shay Given caught my eye for Manchester City, so overall there are lots of goalkeepers that have impressed. Here's my list:

1. Buffon
2. Cech
3. Cesar
4. Casillas
5. James
6. Given
7. Robert Green
8. Edwin van Der Sar
9. Pepe Reina
10. Victor Valdes-

If it was former goalkeepers aswell - I don't actually know what it is - heres my list:

1. Gordon Banks
2. Yev Lashin
3. Peter Shmeichel
4. Buffon
5. Cech....

They are my top five.
Buffon and Cech lost their shine last season...
Yea, Buffon's stock has gone down a bit since their exit in the Euro 2008. Casillas is still number one for me. James should be lower, Portsmouth is second to last right now in the tables, and James hasn't really impressed
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Casillas  Buffon  Ceaser  Reina    Van der sar  Given  Schwazer  Lobont  Cech  Valdez  
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
By what i've seen this season (2 matchs lol) Pepe riena has been top class. I think its gonna' be another golden glove season for him.

But out of last season ill say van der sar was amazing. He had been un beaten for many games. And also it was told that a family of racoons had made a habitat within the goal.

Enjoy the EpicNess
Oh And Sorry I would like to conclude this post with another great player. Shwarzer! He for me was the most underated player within the list of players sulluted for fulhams great finish. To me has improved since the borough break and now is one of the best keepers in the world
Oh Damn I forgot another keeper. James! Yes James! Even though he is amazingly silly on the pitch with his random mistakes he is one of the most consistant goal keepers in the prem. I think after bieng rejected from liverpool and the fact that he is as old aas a grandad he is still playing first team football. And that alone is amazing!
Lol, only 2 matches....
I agree, Reina has shown magnificent saves against Keane and Delap, they were goal-bound, but Reina had something to say about that....
James is great, I still admire him, especially last season.... Although his antics are very questionable, I still say he's England's best keeper.... Though that last minute foul against Birmingham will be costly....
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I think the most overrated is Cech. He has won goalkeeper of the year in europe since 04. Reina should have won in 2007
I think cech is a little over rated. But I think that his mentallity to the game is rare. That is why we like to put this man in difficult situations and we trust he can save it
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
He's a little overrated yea, but in the season's before now I thought he was the best in the world and guess what he's not anymore so you don't have much to complain about
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Saint Iker all the way and Ochoa coming up but at the moment its julio cesar back then Buffon
Kafka (Bayern Munchen-A) 4 years ago
How is it that everybody has forgotten Oliver Kahn? He won the best keeper in the world award FOUR times(more than Schmeichel, Buffon, or Barthez) and is the only keeper to have ever won the best player of the tournament in a worldcup(2002). For those two reasons he has to be number one
Or is this current players only?
Yea Kahn was a great keeper, unfortunately when I think of him I remember this:

And this:

But again, that's just from my Brazilian side
Look, he played amazing all tournament and made one mistake in the final. He wouldn't have even done THAT if Germany hadn't played so crap that entire game, and tournament. As for the second clip, who could have saved that? That was just an amazing free-kick;no one saves Juninho's free kicks. If you want to look at great things he did, take into account how he practically singe-handedly won Bayern the champions league
Yea dude, I said he is an amazing goalkeeper, but I was explaining that I don't remember him for his amazing saves, I remember him for that one mistake in the final, everyone's got a cross to bear man haha I was just messing with you by putting those videos up because you support Germany, but regardless, Kahn is done, nowadays Julio Cesar and Casillas are on the best form of their lives
Yeah, I'm, sorry, get really emotional when I think back to that game! My bad. I think cesar is the best right now
4 years ago
Khan was and amazing goal keeper
Devang (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Khan was a great goal keeper in that world cup! All over the compilation he didn't eat goals but in the finals he had to make that mistake!.... What perfect timing...
Alfaz (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Rene Higuita.... He's crazy...
4 years ago
He still plays for sub as goalkeeper for byarn sometimes
Rene Higuita was indeed a madman. That scorpion kick save was ridiculous.

Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Ridiculous, but awesome! He is lucky that it was only a friendly, beacause if he had messed up he would have probably been kicked off the team
UgoDroPiero (Juventus) 4 years ago
1) Casillas
2) GiGi Buffon
3) Cesar
4) Reina
5) VanderSar
6) D. James
7) Cech
8) Valdes
9) Neuer (shalke I think)
10) Joe Hart
Back up chief, Hart will take a few more years before he finds himself on any top ten list...
Please, Hart? He won't be even in my top 30 list
Lukas (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Wheres Shay Given?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football