Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Are Spain The Number One Favourites For The World Cup?
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Goal.Com
Spain's defeat of Germany in the Euro 2008 final was historic. It was not only that the nation had won their first major international competition in 44 years, it was also that it was the first time in several years that a national team had won a major event by playing the beautiful game beautifully, by playing 'the right way'.

At the time Spain became the best team on the planet and the bookies', the experts' and the fans' number one favourites for the World Cup.

But this summer's Confederations Cup has jolted many observers out of the Spain bandwagon. True, it was 'only' the Confederations Cup, a competition that perhaps even the fans didn't take seriously, and Spain had two of their first string players missing, but Spain's underachievement and under-performance stripped them of their number one favourites tag and suddenly the Spaniards are not great anymore.

Confed. Cup:

The Iberians were slick and entertaining at times but their possession that usually borders on the obsessive became lateral on occasion and their defence was caught short of pace.
Spain were most people's favourites for the Confederations Cup but they lost the crown to a rather pragmatic, robust, European-like Brazil.

The Other Contenders

In spite of their 2006 World Cup failure, Brazil are one of the top favourites for the 2010 World Cup finals. And so are Argentina, or at least should be regardless of how inept Diego Maradona is at coaching what is probably the most talented side in the world. Argentina will qualify and in South Africa they will be one of the teams to watch.

Italy can't be kept out of the picture either. The Azzurri have been a pale and consistently receding shadow of themselves since their success in Germany three years ago, but with Marcello Lippi back at the helm things can and probably will improve.

And Yet Spain cannot be disregarded either, even though they had poor form for the most part in the Confederations cup they are still a major threat to Brasil (and in my opinion better) and could easily take home the world cup.
Goal.Com
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Great topic !
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Problem I can answer this question.... For me it's too soon to judge Spain and the over contestent.... Moreover the final team are not all known !
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
OHH! A guess won't jinx it
LOL I'd kill you if you did
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I disagree with amayel when he says he cannot judge their consistency, I'd say that there tons of games unbeaten (I think 30 something, but probably more) shows their consistent. There a deep squad as well, all they need to do is work out torres and villa, they don't work together well at all. I think spain can get to the final but sergio ramos will take down kaka in the box and brazil will score the winning goal from the PK
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
When I said to soon to judge, it means I wanna see their reaction after that deception of the Confederation Cup !
But they are good that's a fact !
Wow very detailed ahead of time haha
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Yeah, It's mostly just a random guess
Lol Lets see if your right
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Well, myself I think that Spain are very good contenders. But my favourites are, as a matter of fact and, if I do say so myself, England. I just hope that Rio Ferdinand performs, not obviously as he did agianst Holland. It would be great for them to get the trophy. Of course, Spain may have the best players, but sometimes they don't perform. Just like England
The holland game was nothing, to be honest I think on a good day (Like croatia night) we could have had holland down 3-0 maybe even 4-0. Yes I saw the new fluid play. And also confidence is sky high
FORZAJUVEPIERO (Juventus) 5 years ago
My opinion is Spain are a great great team and they have a talented and deep squad as ManUK pointed out, but I do not think they will be holding up the World Cup trophy in Johannesburg. What the Confederations Cup told me was that when a hot team, like the US was, plays Spain, they might not have the tenacity to win or come from behind. Although they had many attempts on goal in the last 20 minutes, and saw the US scrambling a bit, you weren't sitting there saying, "I think Spain can pull this through. " If you look at Brazil, they definitely proved that they are deadly even from 2 goals down
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
I think Spain can win the world cup but they have to be perfect. They played well in the Confed up until a lucky USA beat them thanks to a stupid Sergio Ramos mistake. They also have to take their chances smartly because they could've come back into the game. Only the USA were lucky to keep the lead with their scrappy game of defence only. But yea Spain can win it but Brazil is also always going to be a favorite. I think Brazil is the best team at the moment. They can't be upsetted that easily like Spain. They came back from two goals down. That's what Spain needs. Spirit but smarts as well to not let that happen again
Don't call serg Stupid. It was a mistake. And don't take it away from the squad. The whole team lacked pashion and well.... The atmosphere was dead
Totally I think Sergio had a fine performance mostly
Fingergod (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I think England will win the world cup
Theshid (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Spain are definitively are of the big favorite of the Wold Cup 10 for me they got the best squad, world class players in every position. They are now in great shape despite their last defeat against the US, the players they've got at the moment is like their golden generation. If they don't win this year I don't know when they'll win it.
But I also think that England are big favorites too
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
If you asked me a few months ago I would have said deffinatly, no doubbt.

However England are on fire atm and actually look like a team whos ready to work together for the sake of winning.

My bets are the final 4 will be one of these teams (in no order):

England
Spain
Russia (under GUUS!)
Brazil
Germany

And the most likely to win will be Australia

Edit: forgot netherlands!
Haha you Aussie. Think the first five you listed have a pretty good chance though
Is Australia got in them I'm putting everthing on Bangladesh to win. YUP! I said it lol
Nah I think Papua New Guinea have a better chance
Yashan (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I don't think that the world cup is ever that predictable as you guys make it out to be. Top 4 is usually decided by which team rides that wave of form and that usually comes from having someone who is pretty easy to beat in your group. The teams that score the most goals in the group stages(and Turkey ) will go on to the top 4. My top 4 is: Russia(with easy games towards the end of the group), Brasil(cause they can score against whomever with any one of their strikers catching on fire), Spain(if David Villa or Torres click into gear), and the customary surprise of the tournament top 4 is going to be USA(more wishful thinking than anything else, could be Turkey with their grit or South Africa with a little help from the referees)
Phearos (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Finally we can just predict. But the actual result may be way off road sometimes. That's why I love to watch football because of this uncertainty.
Riggs (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Spain will never win the world cup. Mark my words! Should be a good one (as always)
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Spain are definately great contenders to win it, but they still have to improve on defending more.... It will be hard for them....
Other contenders include Russia, England, Netherlands, Brazil, Germany.
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Villa is in real form for Spain as well...
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Spain are good but they suffer from something I really can't point it out yet. England will win The world Cup. They have The most Mids at the moments and as we all know that Is the most crucial area of the pitch. Whoever controls there controls the game. They're the only team in the world which can switch thier line up to play any style suited to counter the other team. They can play counter attacking with the like of Walcott Young Lennon Sean Wright. Or defensive with Hargreaves Barry. Or central with Lampard Gerrard Carrick. If Capallo acknowledges this fact they win win it no doubt(all imo)
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
We can suppose which team can win the World cup because of their potential, but that's all !
There is almost 10 month before the World cup a lot of things can or could change until the 11 th of june...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football