Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
ARE FOOTBALLERS GREEDY BASTARDS ?
PADDYWACK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
IT SEEMS TO ME THAT SPORTS MEN IN GENERAL ARE A" GREEDY LOT ". THEY USE THE EXCUSE THAT THEIR CAREER IS A SHORT LIVED ONE. WHAT THEY FORGET TO TELL US IS HOW MUCH MORE MONEY THEY EARN BESIDES THEIR CLUB WAGES. THEY THEN TELL US HOW MUCH THEY DO FOR CHARITY AND HOW MUCH OF THEIR TIME THEY THEY GIVE FOR GOOD CAUSES.... WELL WE HAVE ALL HELPED OUR COMMUNITY IN OUR TIME BUT WE DON'T GO TO NEWSPAPERS AND APPEAR ON TV AND TELL THE WORLD HOW WONDERFUL WE ARE, WE DID SO BECAUSE IT IS GOOD TO HELP OTHERS FROM TIME TO TIME. A CONTRACT SIGNED BY A PLAYER SHOULD ALLOW THE CLUB" SOLE RIGHTS" TO DECIDE IF A PLAYER CAN BE TRANSFERRED BEFORE THE END OF THE AGREEMENT, AFTER ALL THEY ARE PAYING "OVER THE TOP" WAGES. SADLY THE COULTER OF "GREED" IS KILLING FOOTBALL ENJOYMENT AND PLAYERS IN PARTICULAR HAVE A CASE TO ANSWER
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
1. Please don't write your whole post in capitals.

2. Format your post better. Don't be afraid to space the lines out to make it easier to read.

3. Sure athletes are somewhat overpaid for what they do, but so are movie stars, heads of huge corporate companies, politicians somewhat, you can really argue that point against most high earning occupations.

4. Not true about people not going to the paper and trying to tell the world what they have done. It happens all the time, nothing wrong with recognizing something good. In fact it is better for highly publicized people to have good things written about them because they are role models to others.

5. The footballers do in fact play for a club and have a contract with them. Just because there is a contract in place that shouldn't restrict them from where they want to play. After all playing football is their job, and unless you are a slave, you have the right to quit your job and find a new one, the only problem is that with contracts there is legal issues involved.

6. The enjoyment has never really killed the game at all. The fans don't pay more money because these players earn higher wages. The wages are earned by "quantity" of fans really. The bigger the fan base the more merchandise sold, the higher you can charge for advertising, the higher demand for seats at home, etc, etc. So really the only cost that goes up when you are a fan are paying for seats, but that is only a small percentage of fans anyways
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
The title sounds like an interesting premise for discussion, but I can't read that post lol. Anyway, I don't wanna generalise, but that does seem to be the trend these days and I think it has a bad effect on football
Peteko 2 years ago
I can't agree to this. (So, happens that I almost never agree with people who write in capital letters.)

Look, footballers are people just like the rest of us. Have you ever been in their position and took the higher road? I doubt so. Not many of us had the chance to get spoiled by some industry that throws millions at you before you can even accomplish something.

They are in the early 20s, surrounded by sudden attention, money offers, star treatment. Many of these people are not emotionally and mentally prepared to handle the situation. Honestly, I think they are not given the time to grow up and considering the circumstances, I think that most of them are doing alright.

Don't forget that we live in a material world. Children are raised in a different type of family nowadays. There is less shame and less fear. Don't expect the footballers of today to behave in the same way that players did 30-40 years ago. The times have changed, the generations are different, the way the money flows is different and the industry that employs them is very different
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Agreed, it's not like a player will reject a million $ contract when its handed to them especially when its the kind of money they have never made before

Kick4Life - changing lives through football