Forums / Funny Old Game
Order: Newest / Oldest
Eat Nonsense Revival: Zidane's World Cup Headbutt, And Why He Did It
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 4 years ago
After going completely spazzo during the 2006 world cup final clash between France and Italy, Zinedine Zidane’s agent, Alain Migliaccio has informed the press that Zidane’s rather unorthodox headbutt was a reaction to what Italian defender Marco Materazzi said to him.

The question on everyone’s lips is “What in hell could a person say to you in a world cup final, in the last match of your career to elicit a headbutt to the chest?”. We called up Zidane for his comments, but he is refusing to speak to anyone from EatFootball after what we said about the puking pre-madonna during England’s 2-1 defeat in Euro 2004.

With no more options and no more budget EatFootball’s only recourse of action was to get in touch with paranormal pimpster Uri Geller to see if he could shed any light on the incident. Armed only with an ordinary household spoon, we sat back and watched in awe as Uri was able to pick up cosmic sound vibrations from his TV set during a re-run of the match of the day broadcast.

“Normally” Said Uri, “I can’t pick up any cosmic sound rays at all during match of the day broadcasts, but I have found that if you use BBC interactive and switch Motson and Wrighty off, there is a lot less background rubbish blocking the signal”

Brilliant! But could Uri decipher exactly what Materazzi said prior to Zidane spooning out? Of course he could, this is Uri Geller we are talking about here, stupid.

Once Uri had stopped rolling his eyes in a spooky way, he spun round and said:

“Sometimes my dreams take me to other dimensions. I can travel in my mind especially when I'm dreaming I focus my mind on what I want to dream. If I want to fly, I focus on flying.”

Er Yeah Uri, that’s great, but what did Materazzi say to Zidane?

”Ahhh that. Yes, I am sure, yes quite sure that Materazzi said…

So, there you have it and quite right too Zidane, at first we thought the headbutt was a total overreaction, but on hearing what evil trash came out of that Italians mouth, we are surprised you didn’t go for a full on Cantona ninja lunge. Christ, we might even go as far as suggesting you are given the golden ball award.

By Tony Livesee (Matt and Lee)

This story was originally published on eatfootball, which closed it's doors after its owners (matt and lee), moved their attention to the site you are now on (footytube).
Photoshop work was either done by myself or Matt, unless otherwise stated.

*If the story seems a bit dated now, that's because it is: we've republished them here, because we think they deserve to be unearthed.
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Hehe, enjoyed that read. I wonder why no one has answered yet. Anything over 2 lines is too long to care about these days?
SCBlue (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Meh, I expected more from this.

I was sad that Zidane ended his career like this, but at the same time this image will never leave my head and I'll be happy to tell my grandkids I saw it live.

I went out and bought a Zidane jersey in honor of the headbutt the next day while in Greece
Scottie (Manchester City) 4 years ago
Zidane freaked out when Materazzi told him
"you know that packet of revels you were saving for after the match?
Well i've eaten most of them and left you the coffee ones"

Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I ewas very after a legends career ended in such a way. I wound not hav worried if it was someother match.... But it was the worldcup finals and Zidane's final match.
A Legends career should have a happy ending.... Not like this.
But I'm happy that materrazzi gat ahead butt.... He is such a disgrace to football
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I heard that Zidane's mother was sick and the Italian said something about shaggin her. Enough to make any man lose his mind considering the circumstances
Lfcalan (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I'm pretty sure that Materazzi said something about Zidane's mother which upset the French legend....
But head-butting your opponent is out of the question, especially in the World Cup finals....
I'll never forget that head butt

Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I've found lots of different reasons, as according to ytmnd.Com

Just search for zidane.

And my favourite,

ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I think that whatever Materazzi may have said, did not justify Zidane's headbutt. I play footy at an amateur level and I never retaliate as such. Zidane was also a professional so that was not at all acceptable from him. Professionals should not retaliate at all. I'm sure whatever Materazzi said was harsh but still....
For those of you who watch football, you know there's so much dirty stuff going on on the field, and I don't think that anyone has seen any other headbutts in the world....
Zidane was wrong, but whatever. He is still a legend.
Vivaldi (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Guys, I'm Italian and was able to read Materazzi's lips. I'm not joking, this is what he said to Zidane:

"Puttana tua sorella Zidane, puttana tua sorella.... Se lo piglia nel culo"

Translated:
"Your sister is a bitch Zidane, your sister is a bitch.... She gets assfucked"

Of course Zidane knows italian well, since he played for Juventus, so he reacted that way
I do not at all agree.
I am Italian as well, and that is not what he said. That is a rumor, but I don't think it's right....
The most credible story in my opinion is that Zidane told Materazzi that they should swap jerseys at the end of the match, and Materazzi answered by telling Zidane that he would rather have his sister, or something like that.
Vivaldi (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Ok, try seriously to read Materazzi's lips the moment before the crazy reaction of Zidane, then we can discuss again.
That is not a rumor, that is what he said. I don't use to report rumors as my personal opinions.
I'm a social scientist, that would go against my own profession.

You have two choices:
1) you believe stories
2) you trust yourself and search your own answers.

Let me know
Preferisco quella puttana di tua sorella, sembra dire.
But, that's only what I could decript....
It's still a bit hard to tell.

Clearly Zidane had said something to Materazzi to make him say that, and the only thing I can think of is 'We should change jerseys at the end of the match' or something around that....

Kick4Life - changing lives through football