Forums / Funny Old Game
Order: Newest / Oldest
BYOB
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
No it's not "bring your own beer". It means "buy your own boots".

I found this story about David James, former England goalkeeper, in the Championship very amusing.

Link: www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/170931/Bristol-C...
3 years ago
He should've picked up a couple of pairs of comfy slippers while he was there too
Lifeguard 3 years ago
Sorry, but for all us non-England speaking English, what's a skip? Funny how he says he's not in the Premiership where he's spoiled by others buying his boots for him, yet someone else goes out and buys a pair for him
3 years ago
I think skips are called dumpsters in U. S. English. Just to clarify, they are the places that dead prostitutes and drunks are found, down dark alleyways in 90% of American produced crime dramas and thrillers
Strange that James was expected to find his boots down those dark alleyways. Lol

And Lifeguard, right, but they were bought with his money so it was not much about the very physical act of buying, but who was paying for them. Probably, he sent someone because the game was starting and it was too late for him to leave the dressing room
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
LOL looks like james will never forget to bring his own boots from now on. I still don't know why he chose to stay in the championship, I'm sure he would have still been great in the EPL
Drdownundermum (Charlton Athletic) 3 years ago
"A car boot sale" for all non-English speaking English readers is an event where people sell unwanted stuff from their own cars usually in a field or car park. May include cars and/or boots unwanted, but actually refers to the luggage space at the back of the car.
This would have been a much better phrase to use than skip (dumpster).
Opportunity missed but that high maintenance hairstyle probably drains brain power
"High maintenance hairstyle probably drains brain power" hahahahaha good one.

But I thought that I read somewhere that guy is someone who reads and writes and is an art lover?
Drdownundermum (Charlton Athletic) 3 years ago
A footballer who reads and writes?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football