Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Whoever Said The League Table Doesn't Lie?
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
They say you don’t always get what you deserve in life and Tottenham Hotspur are finding that out at present, as another 90 minutes passes by with Harry Redknapp absolutely bewildered as to how they haven’t picked up maximum points in recent weeks. It is becoming an all too familiar sight at present and the North Londoners are in danger of throwing away what has been a fantastic season that further underlines that they are about to take the mantle of the top club in London in years to come. Let’s make no bones about it, Arsenal may have overtaken Tottenham in the Premier League table, but you don’t need to be a member of Mensa to realise which club is on the up and up.

As a Man United fan I know which team I am most concerned about going forward. Harry Redknapp has constructed an excellent side and squad at White Hart Lane, full of pace and skill that is a match for anyone as they have proven. They have been a breath of fresh air in the Premier League and as Fergie himself conceded are the most exciting team to watch in the country. They just simply lack experience at the top end of the Premier League and are subsequently struggling to grind out results in games that for the large part they have deserved to win. United were extremely lucky to come away with a win the other week and I’m sure Everton and Stoke were equally thankful to come out of their recent games with points. Spurs fans will concur with me that with the exception of a perhaps a poor 45mins at the Emirates, not a lot has changed in Tottenham’s performances apart from their inability to put the ball in the back of the net in the final third, with Luis Saha particularly wasteful. They have deserved better, but just haven’t had the rub of the green.

Obviously the press will tell you different and this week has seen many esteemed journalists dismiss Tottenham as a club in decline. Some Chelsea and Arsenal players have chipped in with their own views and judging by some forum threads it appears that some Spurs supporters are buying into the tripe being spurted, even though they have watched their team dominate games. It is why Harry Redknapp is absolutely dumbfounded to explain recent results and why they are now facing a battle to finish in the top four. Maybe there is some truth in the saying that luck evens itself out over a course of the season and Tottenham are now paying the price for previous good fortune.

Alan Hansen claimed that it would be an absolute travesty if Tottenham didn’t get a Champions League spot this season, given how they have performed in the Premier League this year and while Arsenal and Chelsea fans will probably beg to differ; the reality is that Spurs have emerged this season as a team that will be capable of challenging both United and City for the title in the years to come. They say the League table never lies, but on closer inspection it appears to be showing one or two fibs at present.

Blog by Mark James

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Otownballer (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Tottenham have indeed had a great season, and I have to thank them for unleashing the beast that is Scott Parker. I love that player, and was disappointed when Arsenal didn't snap him up
Chargui (Arsenal) 2 years ago
It's true that Tottenham have been playing good football this season and probably deserve a champions league spot.... I won't mind if they don't though
I think they should trust Defoe more, he's a great finisher.

Good read mate.

Coyg!
WhiteHartRogue (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
That's lifted my spirits a bit!
Borg (Manchester United) 2 years ago
It's definitely getting into squeeky bum time for Spurs and they are only 5 points clear of Chelsea. Still, if Spurs can get 3 pts away (definitely a possibility even if the bookies do favor the blues) considering Chelsea defensive instabilities their remaining fixtures are much easier than Chelsea's. COYS!
Davian (Arsenal) 2 years ago
The premier league is a marathon not a sprint!
This is not the first time the pundits have glorified tottenham over arsenal(06/07) and arsenal finished above spurs that year....
Tottenham was having a fantastic season and arsenal being ahead of spurs now doesn't mean it will end up that way at the end of the season, nor does it mean that arsenal don't deserve to be ahead of them now....
Arsenal have a greater goal difference and scored more goals than spurs this season and overcame a massive (-6) goal difference.
No matter what you think the....
Table does not lie!
14Hesus (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I concur!
Borg (Manchester United) 2 years ago
That's funny because I don't really think either team could care less about finishing above the other. Their overall goal is securing Champions League football at this stage, that's it
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
Well, by finishing on top of your fiercest rival this season, it almost certain mean a place in UCL. The added bonus is the bragging rights of London. I meant, realistically, London clubs have given up on title aspirations already. Haven't they?
HangTime (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Will Tottenham get Adebayor for next season? I think Adebayor is the perfect replacement for Drogba

Kick4Life - changing lives through football