Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Are The Most Reliable Players?
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
Who, in your opinion, is the most reliable and consistant player for your club, past or present?

I will spell it out in footy terms.

1. Can Score Goals.
2. Defence is strong.
3. Passing is spot on.
4. Attitude is positive for the team.
5. Plays with real consistency.

My pick for Panathinaikos FC is Giorgos Karagounis. He is our Captain for good reason, as the video below shows

So, let's hear your picks!

Keep it current or, if you want to go old skool, make sure you state the dates of your selections.

HAILSSFC (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Spot on Rarimapirate
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Good Topic.  
Partoba (Liverpool) 4 years ago
1. Stevie G - Awesome player, still the best player for me. I wish Capello will change the Skipper for England team to him. He is the best for though he often lazy to argue with the referee when his team got wrong decision.
2. Javier Zanetti (Inter Milan) - Great leader and consistent player. No doubt he still keep it that way till now. Unfortunately, Maradonna didn't call him back to Argentina squad
FutureMUplayer (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Steven Gerrard, Hagi, Fabregas in the future that's my opinion all of them can do alot
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Stevie G for sure. Even when he isn't in great form he will pop up and score really important goals when we need him (Olympiacos to get us into the knockout stages the year we won champions league, and against West Ham in the FA cup final, of course the header against Milan that sparked the comeback) all of theses were cracking goals too, not tap ins.

For me he is still when of the best players in the world, and will go down as one of the all time Liverpool greats. Now we must win a premiere league trophy for Stevie, that will be a glorious day for Liverpool history if we can win our first English title in 20 years before Stevie retires, or is traded(please god spare me this). It would be bittersweet to win it after Steven Gerrard's career is over.

For a historical figure, I would go with Le God, some name drop huh? Haha By Le God I mean of course the legend of Southampton Matthew Le Tissier. One of the best players in Premiere League history, he could have gone to any club he liked, but he stuck with Southampton till the end of his career. A truly gifted footballer, could score from anywhere on the pitch and missed only one penalty in his entire premiere league career, out of 45! Now that's reliability, whoever saved that penalty must have been a great goalkeeper
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Agreed. He is a difference maker
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
I'm glad I didn't have to mention Le God nice to see his brand of genius was recognised by fans of other teams. Seems the only people not to see it were England Managers.

The keeper who saved the penalty was Mark Crossley who at the time had the best penalty saving record in the Premiership
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Definatly a great player all around
Samreds8 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I agree, Steven Gerrard without a doubt, he is a great player
Dhruv11 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Totally! MR. Playmaker!
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Clarence Seedorf.
I was once one of those half-witted guys overlooking Clarence. When you take nay Milan match lately, Seedorf is completely 'reliable'. He has all the traits you have mentioned above-and he has got exceptional pace;can't believe he is 30. He plays in the 'hole' but often he also come back to defend. He rarely loses possession and his passes are good as well. Further he always gives 200%-unbelievable work rate.
And I am not exaggerating either
Seedorf, ah what a truly blessed footballer he is. Anyone that can score from quite literally 50 yards out when the goalkeeper is on his line and in position is special. However he has been to many different clubs in his footballing career, Ajax, Madrid, Inter. He has been at Milan for some time though, so he could be considered reliable. And he is a great footballer, immense quality, he wins trophies as well, the only player to win the champions league trophy for three different clubs
BartoZZ10 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Uhhh. I yhink that's a miss nad a big miss actually. Seedorf of course is a very gifted player, but when we talk about consistency he's not the one to mention. Not sure if you remember about couple of seasons ago he had so bad time that even Milan's supporters wanted him to go. I wouldn't be so sure about his work rate as well. Indeed he had great matches where he actually was main attacking force for Milan, but he had many games where he literally walked through the game. Talented but not consistent
Ramesis (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Maldini FOR milaaaaan!    Every time I remember he left the world of football it makes die a little inside....
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Gerrard is the one with all those qualities you have stated and he is the only one comes to my mind!

1. Can Score Goals. ✓ (everyone knows about this)
2. Defence is strong. ✓(used to be a DMF and his sliding tackles are awesome)
3. Passing is spot on. ✓ (Yup great passer)
4. Attitude is positive for the team. ✓(He is a real talisman)
5. Plays well more often than not. ✓ (Always consistent)

The only negative thing about Gerrard I see is, he is a bit injury prone now-a-days.
And David Beckham is worth mentioning in this thread.
I know most of you out there would argue with me, but still this is the fact. Has all the traits you've mentioned and is like the most consistent player there is. And also he is one step forward-put him in ANY team and you'll see the best of Beckham even there
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I'm going for Xavi. Although Gerrard is great, probably more complete even than Xavi, he isn't as consistent. I've been following Barça for years, and I can't recall the last time I've seen him play even slightly bad. He's almost always somewhere between decent and fabulous.

And to summarize according to the 5 criteria:

1. Can Score Goals. ✓ (Xavi's free kicks are great, as are his long shots, but he's a provider of assists in the first place)
2. Defence is strong. ✓(his positioning is excellent)
3. Passing is spot on. ✓ (most likely the best passer of the ball in the world)
4. Attitude is positive for the team. ✓(he's Barça's heartbeat, IMO he's more important than Messi even)
5. Plays well more often than not. ✓ (he always plays if fit)

And I'll add a 6th:
6. Is reliable throughout the game. ✓ (Xavi is a player you can always pass to if you're in doubt what to do, he'll do the difficult passing for you. He doesn't make bad judgements, is pretty much the opposite of extravagant and rarely ever does something that does not work according to plan)
Xavi is pure class. I always respect him. For me, he is best possession holder in this earth
Xavi is world class, fits the bill for this topic very nicely
Lbarb (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Iniesta would be up there as well, although not quite the finisher Xavi is, still he shouldn't be overlooked
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
Jeroen, agreed with everything you said and yes he is more important tha Messi to Barca!
Dhruv11 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Results speak for themselves Xavi Henandez you are the most reliable player!
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Well, good question. Even though I'm an ardent Chelsea fan I still believe that the most respected player in football is Ryan Giggs who plays for Manchester United and this is probably the main reason. He has been playing proffesionally for them since 1990, two years before the Premier League actually started, and is probably the only player up to now who has scored, and of course made a start, in every single season since 1992.

He is of course my fave but others can include....

Cesc Fabregas: He is Arsenal's captain at an incredibly young age and is always reliable, always keeps himself in good shape, always plays well.... All the things you listed to be honest. He has good goalscoring talent aswell.

Stevie G: Had links with Chelsea in 2004-05 but denied them for his true beloved club. You can tell by his accent that he's a real scouser and has red blood (errrrr, what?!) I mean Liverpool red!

Matt Le.... Oh damn! I just noticed Rarima completely outspoke me by 9 hours! And, he's put the exact words I Would have put. Everything Rari said was right actually.... And the penalties.... Woah!
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
For me, it's john terry. He may not be the greatest player of all time, or anywhere near the title for that matter, is really is reliable. Maybe its just me being a chelsea fan but he is amongst the top defenders in the world at the moment and is a truly great leader. Though he may not be so reliable off the pitch (look at current issues surrounding him at the moment) he certainly is on it. A hard working, hard tackling, and hard to beat defender, john terry is a chelsea legend that always makes a difference when he is on the pitch
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Ill have to say i've seen a lot over this past year and so, and a lot in italy. My main focus is on andrea pirlo. He is just a star, I saw a few games when he didn't play, the team was tottaly asleep withought his contrubution

And Roma have the best defence in the league, two totally awesome wing backs Motta and burdisso. And the Center backs.... Well expierence doesent go further more then Juan and Mexes. I Really Admire how the italians defend, often critised but its the main attribute in the game of football.

To be solid in the back!
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago

Wayne roooney meets all this. He's a center forward, and we see him making slide tackles and blocking crosses in united's box. His attitude has also improved alot. Although I can still see him getting frustrated from time to time he is much much better than he used to be.

Also, I think a 7th point should be added.

Longevity: doesn't get injured easily, and is in the lineup week in week out.

Rooney? I beg to differ. He is a great player, with tons of quality and work-rate, but I don't think he is completely reliable. I saw some matches where he wasn't reliable, like the Leeds Vs Man Utd.
Although, its just my opinion
Masflam (Manchester United) 4 years ago
He will be but not now, he is improving throughout this season
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Nicolas Anelka has been Chelsea's rock this year. He scored the 3 lone goals in Chelsea's three 1-0 wins to start their run at the Champions league all this while Drogba sat out with his 3 game suspension. He also has score 6 goals in his last 7 competions while our African players were off playing in the Africa Cup of Nations. I might also add he has had no injury problems all year.... By far our most reliable player
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Good Topic. I got a few here:

Steven Gerrard - Well when he hasn't been in great form it hasn't been his fault. If he's fit and you got good team circumstances you can count on him. Doesn't matter who your playing, or where or when or anything. He'll Always play to the death 110%. I may be a Utd fan but I'm a admirer of Gerrard because he'll always be reliable, never not.

Ryan Giggs - Over 34 and He still looks 20! He's always been there for Utd and never let us down. He is truly a legend. And he didn't take a big offer from another club, he sticks with Utd. His Trophy Case must be HUGE for how long he's been here, and he always will be here he'll retire soon and he'll still be at United, until his career ends.

John Terry - Forget the recent fuss in the papers - this man has been one of the most reliable players of the 21st century. He's still one of the world best defenders, and I'd pit him in my World XI with Vidic along side him. Great player, die hard defender. He's like a wall that won't fall, he's tough as nails.

Vidic - He's never let United down really. Currently one of the world's best and like I said above I'd pair him with Terry in my World XI. Vidic is also like a wall, the attackers come and bash against the big Serbian then crash to the ground beaten and bruised. He's always been like that for United and I hope he stays that way
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Excellent post, well said. Have to agree with all three evaluations
Thanks Ant, I added a fourth
Pookas (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I can't really argue with any of your picks especially Giggs and Gerrard. The only time I would say Vidic let United down is when Torres had his way with him last season
That's not quite what I meant, I wasn't really including being sent off mate
Pookas (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Alright, I just had to get that in there being a Torres fan myself ha
Gomlee (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Spot on mate
ManUtdMojica (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Great post
RRajeev (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Awesome...
I will add one that hasn't been mentioned. Mr Juventus, Alessandro Del Piero. The man is a legend, he has made more than 500 appearances for Juve and scored close to 200 goals for the club from Turin. Ronaldinho has said that Del Piero is his idol and this is testament to his skills. He is terribly reliable, makes free kicks look easy, penalties easier and is a natural leader. He scores big important goals for his club and country, plus he is a fantastic passer and teammate. He is getting older now, but he is still a world class player, one of my favorites, certainly one of the few Italians I like. And he has to be considered one of the most reliable players in the world. I am sure he had many offers to leave Juventus, especially during the turmoil after the match fixing scandal. But he stood by his club, and for that I admire him
Glad that you mentioned Del Piero. He is a pure legend
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
Sam should be happy about that one and great pick!
Sam (Juventus) 4 years ago
Got that right Lyndon.... Wish I had been able to give Del Piero his due aprreciation on this thread but Rarimapirate has it covered.... He is always ready to play and he is a natural leader; we have always relied on him in big games and he always comes up with the goods. A testament to how amazing the man is the final point that Rarimapirate made- he has had tons of offers to leave and join other clubs especially when we got relegated following the scandal in 2006- he stuck with the team, wore his heart on his sleeve, led by example and almost singlehandedly led us back into the Serie A the very next season! And upon our return to the Serie A, he proceeded to lead the league in scoring! Del Piero- THE MAN THE MYTH THE legend!
Champian11 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
What about Cesc Fabregas? If Cesc is fit, or even if he's not 100% as apparent in recent matches, he always makes a difference. It's easy to see that Spain provides perhaps the most world class center mids the game has, and I believe Cesc has potential to become even better than Xavi. He is the heartbeat of Arsenal and is always involved in goals, whether it is assists or goals. He plays in the defence well, and he always keeps his team going. My pick. Manchester United is my team but I respect Fabregas so much as a player
Boomboom1 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Fabregas is without a doubt the most reliable player in the world. Also, his teammate, Vermaelen, is by far one the most reliable center backs. His only fault was that devastating own goal against manchester, which has been made up with his numerous spectacular goals
Deutschbag (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Cesc Fabregas again because his work rate is unparalleled and his leadership speaks for itself. I also have to say that when fit I really appreciate Thomas Rosicky because Czech footballers are usually very good, but he is mastered

Kick4Life - changing lives through football