Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
When Is Enough, Enough?
Footytubeblog (Blog) 3 years ago
As we enter the final week of the summer transfer window it is the last opportunity for clubs to finalise their squads until the New Year. Transfer deadline day is one of the most exciting, if not most drawn out, days of the season, with deals happening right up to (and in some cases beyond) the cut-off point. However some managers, who are lucky enough to already contain squads bursting at the seams with quality players, still insist that they require more, which begs the question: when is enough, enough?

Only a week before the new season had kicked off, Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini drew a few surprising looks as he insisted his current squad wasn’t big enough to challenge for the season ahead: ‘To be competitive, we need more.’ he moaned. ‘We’re missing players, we don’t have enough for the whole season and it’s a problem. We haven’t managed to get all the players we want and it is important we get them now in the next seven days.’ Was Mancini seriously implying that City, in their current state, are not competitive? Surely even the most ardent City fan would struggle to come up with a genuine argument to back their manager’s words.

City actually have a competitive senior squad of around 24 players which include some of the biggest names in the Premier League – that’s even before you count the likes of Emmanuel Adebayor, Wayne Bridge, Craig Bellamy, Roque Santa Cruz and Shaun-Wright Phillips, all of whom are unwanted by the Italian manager but are still on City’s books. But his very public pursuit of Arsenal’s Samir Nasri begs the question, is he really needed in Manchester? Of course, any quality player would be a welcome addition at any club, and a strong squad is essential in order to challenge. But City already have that – and Nasri isn’t the final new face Mancini wishes to add. So when is enough, enough?

Much has been made of the club’s wealth and investment in pursuit of honours, but I’m not getting into that. Whether that’s the right or wrong way to go about things is not the issue here. After all, City are far from the only club in world football to attempt to spend their way to the top. Of course this country has seen it done twice before during the Premier League era, with first Blackburn back in the mid-90’s, then more recently on a grander scale Chelsea, who achieved virtually instant success on the back of massive investment. During this time, Chelsea too became guilty of an apparent thirst for signing players to bulk out a squad that just didn’t need it. Names like Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell represented such signings, and that’s even before we mention the costly Andriy Shevchenko – though we won’t blame the manager for that one.

This is not just aimed at the ‘newly’ rich though, and not just a Premier League occurrence. It has been happening on the continent for years, with the established ‘big clubs’ – and still does. Real Madrid in particular has been guilty for many years. Whether their motives have been for commercial gain (shirts sales etc), or to simply ensure that their competition is unable to strengthen – by gobbling up any quality, that they themselves have no real need for (see Sergio Canales’ recent story as proof). They too, currently have a plethora of talent on their books but it still didn’t stop manager Jose Mourinho to moan last season about the ‘need’ to buy another striker. Even Barcelona’s eventual capture of Cesc Fabregas drew from an emotional need, rather than any actual need for the player. AC Milan, particularly during the mid-90’s were another ‘big club’ who were guilty of hovering up the best of what other clubs had, even when their squad had no apparent need. Some players have to take their share of the blame too though – those that know their moves are motivated more by greed than by actual playing time are a disgrace to the sport.

The situation is made all the more frustrating when it stops the next generation of players progressing up to first team level. Manchester City has one of the best youth academy set-ups in this country, with an excellent track record. Not so long ago it produced names like Shaun Wright-Phillips, Joey Barton, Micah Richards, Stephen Ireland and Daniel Sturridge to name but a few, who were all given opportunities to shine and become established players in their own right. The current crop of youngsters will not be afforded the same opportunities, and find their path even tougher as the squad continues to fill up with more and more expensive established stars.
Blog by Jimmy Areabi
Penarol1860 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
And people wondered why Italy, England and France failed to shine last cup. It all comes down to cultivating a great home crop. Barca and Madrid spend a lot for players, but they're youth academies run deep and nurture players all the way into La Liga
Tanveer111 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Yo
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
"Emmanuel Adebayor, Wayne Bridge, Craig Bellamy, Roque Santa Cruz and Shaun-Wright Phillips"

Take any one or two of those players, give them to a mid table team, and they would be challenging for a European spot. It's incredible that players like these are not even good enough to get on the bench
Reddevil278 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Couldn't agree more. Teams would kill for players like these, maybe PSG or Malaga are right around the corner, eh?
Omegamune (Manchester City) 3 years ago
I have to agree, too, despite my support for City. It's always a shame to watch talent like that stagnate on the bench when they could be shining at another club. It's one thing to buy up players to strengthen your squad, but when you begin to purchase them just to make them inaccessible to other clubs, then it starts getting unfair, not just to the clubs who could benefit from these players, but also to the individuals themselves, whose careers are indefinitely resigned to the shadows cast by the first-string, more established talents
Enkay (Arsenal) 3 years ago
This is where Arsenal might want to start looking. Players like those who don't get an opportunity to play despite undeniable talent and skill are simply inflating the wage bill (not that it matters to City). They'd probably be willing to take a slight pay cut and actually see some playing time in proper competition. I'd love to see any of those four players (except Adebayor) at Arsenal
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
But the thing is none of these players are being sold because Man City have spent so much money on them, and are paying them such high wages. Almost no other club can afford the cost of these players now so mostly they either go out on loan or languish in the reserves.

That's why I can't see most of them leaving to a club like arsenal or any others before their contracts runs out
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Unless they were willing to take a pay cut, which is probably unlikely. I can't believe they would actually be content with sitting on the reserves bench just because of the wages City pay them
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 3 years ago
The other issue with all of this is that when the 25 man squad registration requirements kick in many of these players will be stuck permanently in the reserves with no chance of playing in the league even if City's entire squad is smashed to pieces by injury.

Imo that is travesty of Man City's own making. Bringing in too many players, on too much money, who are happy to play 1 mid-week game for the reserves on £150k a week in wages, when any of them would be first 11 choices at any other team.

Problem is either these players will have to leave with Man City continuing to pay a large chunk of their wages, or they'll sit it out until their contracts expire and then go for free.

Qpr would kill for anyone in Man City's reserves, send them to us?
Duncanm (Saint Mirren) 3 years ago
This more articulately puts forward my own views. As a Scot I watched and had predicted the demise of Gretna due to over investment and didn't like to see it. Not that this is a danger for Manchester City but money and this over spending, for me, is not what football should about. I enjoyed watching City during the time that Wright-Philips, Ireland, Bellamy and co where their attacking force and even made a trip down to Manchester to see them in action (unfortunately a 0-0 against Liverpool). The only investment I would have said they needed was in defence, which if I remember rightly Mark Hughes knew all too well. The three I mentioned, on their game, where great to watch and I have no doubt still would be. In answer to the original post, Nasri, "is he really needed in Manchester? ". No, not even a little. I feel sorry for City supporters, although I'm sure the majority don't want or appreciate it
Letsbehonest (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I believe Mancini is referring to that back line which is not ready yet against big name teams
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Haha well than he shouldn't have bout oodles and oodles of attackers that rot on the bench. I believe City had one of the best defensive records in the whole prem last season as well
Mixawy (FC Barcelona II) 3 years ago
Mancini sell Samir Nasri from arsenal for 4 years, plUs he need more @ they have more monney from arabian owner @
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I don't understand what the need was to bring in even more players they had such a great squad, they should have at least offloaded the players didn't want before stockpiling the entire squad full of expensive players
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Put it this way. If Nasri sits on Man Citys bench, he is not scoring or creating goals for Arsenal. Same with Adebayor. City want Arsenals champions league spot permanently

Kick4Life - changing lives through football