Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Hope Is There If They Can’t Do The Basics?
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
Countless managers, players and fans are forever moaning about the lack of it, while football hacks and pundits fail to go a week without the need to write something about it, but Roberto Martinez is the first manager to actually say what I have been thinking for years and in truth it is about time that a football manager addressed the real problem rather than protecting referees and clamouring for the use of technology as a saving grace.

“Someone asked me if it’s time to bring in technology. No. It’s just time to bring in referees and linesmen who know the rules.” (Roberto Martinez)

Full credit for the Wigan boss for speaking out and while his rant will undoubtedly land him a fine with the FA, the game’s governing body should look long and hard at the Spaniard’s words because he has highlighted the actual reality that exists within the game that the modern day officials aren’t up to the running of the game, continue to baffle with the double standards of their decisions and clearly lack an understanding of the game. They also show favouritism to the bigger sides while the lesser sides get punished, something Martinez eluded to as well and it’s hard not to agree especially when you saw the shambles at Old Trafford yesterday. I wonder if QPR would have been awarded the same result had someone like Adel Taraabt decided to throw himself to the ground to win a penalty and got a fellow pro sent off. I think we know how the decision would have gone, as the officials continually fear upsetting Fergie at Old Trafford. United fans will no doubt suggest that “it evens itself out over a season”; well decisions over the past few weeks pours cold water over those claims. Refs lack the bottle when it comes to giving the big decisions and it is becoming extremely grating.

What frustrates me the most is that referees always hide behind the technology debate. Whenever there is a contentious decision, the classic line is that they didn’t see it, or haven’t got the benefit of multiple angles and most supporters buy into it and are in agreement that they need assistance. While I would certainly advocate the use of goal line technology in order to help them out, do we really need to use it to help linesmen understand that when a player is two yards ahead of the last defender that he is then offside? Of course that is ridiculous, but here is the problem and it’s their incompetence on a weekly basis that is destroying the game as officials can’t even do the basics anymore. When you hear stories that the referee Michael Oliver failed to give Liverpool a penalty at Anfield because he felt the Villa player was ‘unlucky’ then you know you have underlying problems within the game. I suppose the same official felt Michael Carrick was perhaps ‘unlucky’ when he took out Danny Murphy in the penalty box at Old Trafford – and they say Oliver is one of the better referees in the Premier League...

Something has got to change in this country and quick because as Martinez claimed, that if officials can’t even get the basics right then what hope is there for the future.

Blog by Ross Thomas

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
IHadYouAll (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Oh please.... Its like I read this article before (actually I am reading articles like this each year when United is on the top of EPL table or wins actual trophy), and now I am reading it today again. And I completely understand a reason, as soon as United are leaders in EPL table and have a good chance to lift a trophy again there will be always these "smart" people to bias EPL leader, as we were always favorites to win Premier League for many years.

And when Man United gets any other place then 1st in EPL, critics spend their time on completely different matters to write this years Fergie contribution to a team and how bad he is....

Bring some other points then these where United gets involved. So many teams got biased this year including (in bold) United, that this time it would be a good idea to look at the games in general and not put on hold certain team, thus classifying its players, manager and fans biased.

Ross Thomas definitely loves United....
7anzalla (Barcelona) 2 years ago
You got too defensive, united is just the recent example of a much bigger underlying problem, and not only with the FA but with all football governing bodies (including decisions that have gone, for and against Barca's favor)
You misunderstood my point. United is "a recent example" each year when they are leaders in EPL table by numerous blogs and newspaper articles.

There are hundreds of other big clubs to cover. And for a reason to get more people involved to read something like this only United gets punctuated. I can't compromise this writer but just to tell him how biased he is to my team. I don't really care what other team you are going pick then United, but I will always be defensive for a reason. For Barca fan there is not too much to be defensive about in this article, as Ross takes his attention on EPL referring in general and doesn't want to get involved Barca as this would be Spanish or champions league saga. This makes no sense to me in any away.

He needs to make article better on Coca-cola Championship relegation team then United, as there would be "tons" of people to read it and of course, of course it would never get even noticed in this blog to begin with
Alexinho (AC Milan) 2 years ago
I agree that we should install some kind of goal-line technology. Personally I've heard stories about some balls, it was in Ajax academy I believe, that has some laser point technology installed in them.

This should be possible to further develop so that you don't only notice how the ball is hit (where and such) but also by which player and if it cross the line or not. This could determinate if the player was on the ball or not before tripping another player of opposite team and thereby if it is a penalty or a legal tackle. We could even use this laserpoint technology to find out if it was a hands in near future.

This is just for starters and as long as it doesn't affect the play other than it makes the job easier for ref, then why not.

But yeah we do need to have referees who can ref at same level and be constant in this term
SBMX (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Come on! 2 of out 3 games recently....
Manchester United lucky not to concede penalty to Fulham – Ferguson
Michael Carrick catches Danny Murphy's heel in 89th minute.

A. Young dive but got a penalty and got Derry sent off.

Use of technology (replays) or referees got to be punished as they are not doing their jobs properly. But on second thought, they might have done their (implied) jobs pretty well.
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Have you thought that maybe there is a reason why everyone claims united get favouritism? Or are your red shades on like most united fans?
Oh please.... Your thoughts concentrate a lot on latest game, this topic wouldn't even be mentioned if referee would book Young and not give a penalty. I see hundreds of haters here each week to live on hating United more then supporting their own club. We really don't mind haters, as these people hate our success and only our success, and all this background noise you make my friend on games where United dives doesn't prove anything, as each team isn't perfect.

We have a huge fan base and our players know that we, fans, do not like when our player "dives". It is simple truth that on average we dive less then any other team in EPL per season. What prove I have? Cause I am watching full 90 minute game and not only highlights here, where "only these spots" that United does that and that are mentioned...
ReDevil1878 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Sh%t happens man -- we got scored off of a corner that was never one to begin with today against Wigan, plus the referee denied us a stone-dead penalty. That's just how it is. Wigan deserved to win on the basis of their overall display, so I can respect that. That's not to say that bad refereeing didn't take place, as was the case in many other games for various teams this entire season
Reamboss93 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
When you start most of your comments with "Oh please.... " it just furthers the reputation of smugness that Man UTD fans have. Ferguson is one of the managers who complains the most but gets banned the least. The FA don't want to go near him. Ferguson is a great managers and he has been for decades. No one in the FA wants to tell the guy that his age and experience are not an excuse for him to get calls and then get off easy when he complains about refs favoring opposing sides. Man UTD fans and even Barca fans consistently call other teams sore losers and yet whenever they deservedly lose they whine like everyone else. The refs are terrible everywhere. Refs don't like spotlights and they crumble under pressure so what they do is refuse to blow whistles in situations that would define a game. It happened in the WC final 2 years ago with DeJong. Howard Webb was terrified that one single decision he made was going to define who wins a World Cup. Luckily for him, Spain won. If they hadn't, Webb would probably never ref again
Janco (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
It's not only for referees in the Premier League, but referees all over the world. It is my believe that referees are to young and have little or no experiences in playing football, thus they can not or merely spot cheaters, unprofessional behavior, foul play. Some times it seems thay even lack of authority
Franky4fingers (Barcelona) 2 years ago
I don't know how you can say referees show favoritism to bigger sides? Do you have any statistics to prove your point. I am a firm believer in using goal line technology, replays and bans/punishment post match but we don't really have any proof of bias. Bigger sides tend to dominate more and hence get lot more calls in their favor. Referees are human and they tend to start getting influenced by heavy tackling because their mind registers it as a trend. So when all of a sudden the side which is playing rough gets an opportunity, the ref may not be mentally ready to award decisions unless its a blatantly easy decision. The reason why we feel bigger teams get better decisions is because most people do not watch smaller teams play regularly. Bad decisions happen all the time. As someone who's played football all his life, I know first hand how sometimes it seems like referees don't have a clue about what's really going on in the game.

Here is an interesting website which keeps track of referee decisions in the EPL:

Link: www.debatabledecisions.com/tables

If we believe that these guys are doing an unbiased job when they judge debatable decisions. It seems like smaller teams are getting a lot of favorable decisions and a powerhouse like Arsenal is right at the bottom with Liverpool right next to it and City and Utd not too far away
Garzu (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Bring Pierluigi Collina to teach somethings to the refs, isn't he the UEFA head of referees? Shouldn't this be something that would concern him?
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
"I wonder if QPR would have been awarded the same result had someone like Adel Taraabt decided to throw himself to the ground to win a penalty and got a fellow pro sent off. I think we know how the decision would have gone, as the officials continually fear upsetting Fergie at Old Trafford.

Excellent blog and every word of it absolute truth
Tdsmufan (Manchester United) 2 years ago
You are totally right mate! I love reading these articles!
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Officials continually fear upsetting King Kenny at Anfield
Say what you want it is clear as day for everyone without red shades on too see the double standards united get week in week out
Show me some proof?
Gladly

Young dived, clear as day for everyone including man united supporters, he was even offside. FA doesn't over rule the redcard for derry even though a) young was initially offside and be) he dived theatrically. And guess what, the FA didn't even give a reason why they didn't over rule it hahaha standard.

Fulham don't get a clear as day penalty against united

Every single game howard webb has managed united will either get a penalty or the opposing team will get a player sent off and 90% of the time it is bullcrap and everyone knows it

Evra didn't get anything at all for his involvement in the race row with suarez even though he openly admitted saying derogatory terms to suarez, oh what a surprise it was only suarez that got punished. If evra got anything at all I might have been fine with it but for him to get nothing at all? Lol

Remember when van nistelroy got viera sent off? Then missed a penatly in the dying seconds and arsenal won the game? Back in 2002 I think it was and all the arsenal players were celebrating and taunting ruud? You know what fergie said? That it was a disgrace and that the arsenal players should be banned
What did he say about evra celebrating infront of suarez and taunting him? He didn't say s**t all and of course evra got nothing for being a khunt

Seeing the trend here? Both FA and the refs being bias but ill continue to shut you up

Chelsea vs manunited
Welbeck theatrically falls, and what a surprise howard webb gives him a penalty

Man united vs liverpool fa cup 2009
Liverpool get a bullcrap red card against them, a bullcrap penalty against them and don't get a penalty themselves
Want to know who was referee? Howard webb.

Enough proof?
ScouserDan (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Right on ^
Every single season when United need the points, the free penalties, red cards against opponents, the dodgy calls and so on just keep flowing in, year in, year out. Literally every single year.

By now you would expect United to be waist deep in the Champions league, right? So they have been playing all of their league fixtures recently on a Monday. When Rafa asked that question - "Why do United get an extra days rest over every other team at the end of the season? " - it was never answered.

I have no problem if United fans choose not to see it, I don't particularly care, but as Matt93 above said, its plainly obvious to everyone else.

Without utterly terrible decisions 100% in their favour recently, they would be going into the game against City needing a win, not 8 points clear
(double)
That isn't proof, that's simply calls that have gone for us. Where are the calls that have cost us points?

It doesn't really matter, I'm obviously going to be told to shut up by the large amount of Liverpool fans on this thread no matter what I say. To be fair, just like if Ant tried to start an argument in the United section
> That isn't proof, that's simply calls that have gone for us.

Isn't that exactly what he was asked for? What else can he do but list several very recent examples of it? AVB said earlier in the season that when a team gets two penalties in a match, its unusual. When they get two penalties in a match, two games in a row.... Its very unusual.

Why was Wigans first goal disallowed? It was perfectly legal. Why was Ashley Young not called offside, and then gifted a penalty for one of the worst dives of the season? Why was the Fulham penalty not given against United? There are three huge questions from the last couple of games alone.

It's right there for everyone to see. It's no surprise whatsoever that the only people defending the multiple bad penalties awarded to United, and obvious penalties not awarded against them are the ones in United replica jerseys
I'm not defending the calls, I think they were terrible. But no one seems to listen to me, why do I even bother?

Barcelona fans complain of the same thing, and I have sympathy for them
No-one is telling you to shut up, and no-one is ignoring you. We're simply listing incident after incident after incident from recent matches that have gone hugely in Uniteds favour. If we expanded the scope we could list thousands more.

The bottom line is that if United had not gotten these strange, favourable penalties and opponents sent off recently, the top of the league would be far closer than it is.

A generous observer would say United seem to get very lucky when they need it most.
ReDevil1878 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
All the arguments given with various examples of unbelievable calls given in favor of United seem well-founded. Most genuine die-hard United fans will not disagree with this notion -- however, what they (and I) would point out is that, as sympathetic as we might be to the opposition's frustration, we firmly believe that the reason we grind out results or win in dying moments is due to the sheer desire to never give up and never say die.

I think that's something that most rival supporters would agree to, however if that's not the case, then we can go down memory lane and a pretty long one at that too (over six decades), for further discussion into this topic
Zabubi (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Matt93

Yes United have had the rub of the green in their fair share of matches, but where are the blogs about Balotelli's terrible tackle on song? , or the two clear penalties Norwich should have got at white hart lane? (regardless of the result) or even the shocking decision at stoke where barry should have got sent off and conceeded a penalty? Even as much as I hate liverpool they should have got a few penalties in their last few games too. Last night was another example of bad refereeing, 3 shocking decisions. Wigan's goal should have stood but utd conceeded from an inexistent corner and should have had a stone wall penalty....

My point being, it happens in every game and to every team sometimes they get decisions against them and sometimes for but because it happens at OT and to utd its all over the papers and the internet. It disgusts me really how one teams fate lies on the back pages of the papers and others in small sections in the middle pages. C'mon!
Could go even further and talk about chelsea's two offside goals vs wigan and the shcoking decision they got at fulham on monday.... Still seeing refs being biased to united...
Balotelli should have got sent off against spurs earlier in the season for stamping on parker yet stayed on and scored the equalising penalty. A ben arfa dive at old trafford gave newcastle a penalty and got them the draw, I could go on here...
Balotelli should have got sent off against spurs earlier in the season for stamping on parker yet stayed on and scored the equalising penalty. A ben arfa dive at old trafford gave newcastle a penalty and got them the draw, I could go on here...
I don't know if you notice Ant, but teams often get lucky calls when they're putting the pressure on. When a team's relentlessly attacking, they're more likely to get calls in their favor (just like Wigan did yesterday, it wasn't a corner leading up to the goal).

Now this isn't always the case, but Man Utd are famous for pulling through in the final stages. They're certainly more likely to get calls then, just like any team would be

I see this happening all over the league but here's my main point. When fans see bad calls in their favor they tend to glaze over it. But when it goes against them, or their rivals, suddenly it's the refs fault, the FA's fault, or of course Fergies' fault
Kulprit (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Funny how everyone always remembers the decisions that go for United, they always seem to forget the ones that go against them.

@Matt93, And what about David Luiz fouling Rooney whilst on a yellow card? Or Cahill not getting red carded for his foul on Welbeck this year? Or what about your 2 offside goals against Wigan? Or the controversy penalty decision against Fulham monday night? Its pretty easy count decisions that favor teams don't you think.

And Liverpool fans, Saurez is the biggest diver in the EPL, just look at the Liverpool v Arsenal game.
Lawrence83 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
33% blame to the refs, 33% to all the football federation, 33% to the players and 1% to the fans. That's how my blame pie would go cause I think the players diving rate is at an all time high plus then you have FA pushing for all of kind storyline dream match-ups to drive in more TV revenue. I said the best way to clear up all this type of mess is having a point system like the league, 2 of the worst average rated ref get relegated to the Championship after 2 seasons and 2 of the best rated Championship ref get promoted to the EPL, have them start as linesman and work their way up. Last and not least make this information public so the fans and the players can witness the progression and regression of the ref crews
I bet a ref would switch the "ref" and the "fan" piece of you
Likewise would football federation member and the players do.

Personally I think 25/25/25/25 covers it better. We got our blame as well as majority of us keep supporting these divers because of the skills they show rest of the time. For the record, I am no excuse.

I support Pato and Robinho as well as Zlatan (among other Milan players) who all has their own Diving history (perhaps lower than many others but no less a diving history)
Ponchoman17 (Internacional Porto Alegre) 2 years ago
Yurp
Minabotros (Liverpool) 2 years ago
If we only had a technology that allowed us to watch an event after it happened so we can make a better judgment before we make decisions that cost games!
Shadowolfs (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Love how this is about the ref's. Try to ref a game of that magintude with a hostial crowd and coatching staff and players watching your every move.... Not an easy thing to do. They are human they will make mistakes. Some very bad ones and some not so bad ones. I do like (as mentioned above) to have a 2 year period and the worst rated refs go down and 2 more come up. I do believe that refs should each year go back and learn the rules and developments of the game all over again. I believe that their should be goal line tech and that you might as well put 4 lines persons and 2 goal line people. No team gets favortism when it comes to refs except for some Italin teams who paid them off. When a team like barca has 60-70% possession they are bound to get some hard fouls and united and liverpool (of old) play with heart and yah some challenges are boarder line but that is the game of soccer.

Their should be a panel that judges the center, and both lines person individually and based on that gives them better games
Except some italian teams? It has been proven that this even happened in some spannish games but their court never took a grip in it....

English matches has also been proved to be fixed in the past where as the court didn't dare to take a grip of this problem as they feared it would damage their reputation. Reading some comments been made 7 years after the incident it seems they were right in this fear....
Zinny999 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I'm 100% sure there were match fixinf in Spain and England. Even the UEFA and FIFA.... By far the biggest corrupts Federation who pay their own referee to ref A certain team in a certain way
Shadowolfs (Manchester United) 2 years ago
@alexinho do you not remember Juvetus or any of the recent max fixing going on it italy? I believe that their is currently one with some of your religated teams, and teams trying to move up. Their will always be match fixing every where Italy jsut happenes to give a crap and dose something about it, EPL.... Well show proof casue I'm yet to see/hear about any (jsut some crappy ref's, as for Spain.... If their is proof and nothing is done then either they are corrupt (likely) or it was not solid proof (also likely)
It is never taken to court so it wouldn't do any good but they even admitted this themselves....

Big clubs have been involved as well and it is a business story. I never said it didn't happen in italy but at least they are getting punished when discovered while as english teams walks free even if different documentaries have proven from different angles that it is a problem there as well.

For instance it was this one documentary group who claimed to be some big time investors who wanted to buy a unnamed team (All I will say is that it was EPL team) And the people they were talking with in this meeting involved some former players and "big shots" rich investors from outside of England. The meeting found place outside of England as well (I won't say where and rather let you try to dig this up. If you care you will, if you just want to believe BPL is some kind of fairy tale where everyone is following every rules, then you are of course free to do so.

Rest of the story involve elements such as how they should bribe different parts under the table in order to make this team a top team and thereby increase its market value with some significant figures....

Didn't seem like the involved parts got any going court against them after this information leaked out and the documentary was available.... Oh I guess it is all conspiracy theories, Eh?

Well do your own research find this documentary, find the background stuff around different stories then come tell me what a wonderful law abiding fairy tale example BPL is setting for the corrupt italian league.
Dany10 (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Loving that the man in the book 's front cover is Gigi' Colina. Best referee I have EVER seen
VincentK (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Spot on, Ross. Without the refs - with this average team - ManU would not and could not win anything elsewhere, but England. Refs trash like Mike Dean, Lee Mason, Phil Dowd and Howard Webb are on Fergie's payroll. They do not need to officiate every single game in favour of Fergie's diving team. Just a few important and not necessary for ManU to be in the game. Remember Sunderland - Man City this year? Or Newcastle-Arsenal last?
Buddhapalm (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Yup, in fact if United win the EPL this time those refs are all up for a big bonus. Everyone knows it, why even bring it up though, and it's sad no one can do s**t about it, teams like liverpool (and cough!.... Arsenal) will keep fighting for champions league spot, while United keep winning the league.... Depressing indeed
Kulprit (Manchester United) 2 years ago
You must be forgetting about Walcott's dive to win a penalty against Leeds in the FA Cup
Timmersj (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Your articles are bad and you should feel bad!
ACM77 (AC Milan) 2 years ago
I feel like this is more a problem in UCL, rather than domestic leagues. Hard decisions will sometimes be missed, and that happens, but there is no excuse for calls like when Milan's goal was stolen against Juve. I believe there should be goal line technology, so that the game is played BY THE players, NOT BY THE REFS. The same problem does occur, though, with penalties. However, I think this is more of a problem in the the UCL. I think refs just need to be better practiced at spotting diving so that Barca can't keep cheating
Franky4fingers (Barcelona) 1 year ago
Milan fan complaining of diving?    

Deak (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Well you knw what? .... If referees are claiming the inability ot see from all angles (which quite frankly is somewhat true but not a big deal since their job is to make sure they find that angle) I suggest we take it to the next level by officiating via video on screens and have large speakers for blowing the whistle.... Loooooooooooooool.... Dumb assess
Elbert (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Try being a referee. I know I wouldn't be able to see everything. Even watching soccer on tv where there are replays, there are many fouls/calls that can go either way
They don't go either way though

Kick4Life - changing lives through football