Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
We Only Sing When You're Losing
Greg (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Every season it happens. Midway through the football calendar emails start appearing on football websites across the country, complaining. Not complaining about what is happening on the pitch, but complaining about the coverage. These emails concern conspiracies and always take the same form: outraged rants from football fans, shrieking that the website hates their team and is picking on it. They bellow the same things over and over: “IT’S CLEAR THAT YOU HATE MAN CITY/LIVERPOOL/CHELSEA/ARSENAL. YOUR WRITERS ARE BIASED AND UNPROFESSIONAL. I WILL NO LONGER BE READING YOUR WEBSITE. GOODBYE!”

I always find these emails from conspiracy theorists quite amusing, because they seem to misunderstand one of the key rules of football, which is that you kick a man when he’s down.

Most football fans have a team they support and maybe one or two other teams they are fond of (depending on which manager/players are there). And aside from those teams, we take great pleasure in seeing other teams come undone in a spectacular fashion. We love seeing the big names humbled. We love to see a disaster unfolding.

In the majority of seasons, the following pattern emerges: Man Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea win lots of games, the rubbish teams get relegated, a couple of smaller teams do unexpectedly well - and one or two of the bigger teams go horribly wrong. And when these big teams go horribly wrong, everyone and their dog joins in and has a good, long laugh at their expense. It’s not personal. It’s rarely about hating a particular team, it’s just that everyone enjoys one of the big teams getting humiliated. I laughed heartily when Man Utd beat Arsenal 8-2 but laughed just as hard when Man City beat Man Utd 6-1. Everyone has to take their turn.

The thing is, when it’s your turn to be on the receiving end of the jeers, you just have to take it. The more upset you get about the emails and articles, the more people stick the knives in. I’m a Spurs fan so I’m more than used to ridicule. I remember Juande Ramos’s last season in charge (Harry Redknapp took over after 8 games). We had just signed Dos Santos, Bentley and Modric. We had beaten Roma 5-0 in a pre-season friendly. We were tipped to break into the top 4. Instead, everything went wrong. We lost game after game. Heurolo Gomes spent the year being everyone’s least favourite comedy goalkeeper. And of course, Spurs became a laughing stock. As well as the countless articles about how terrible we were, every messageboard, website and forum was full of hundreds of jokes in which Spurs were the punchline. As a Spurs fan it was horrible, but it’s also part of the game. By the end of the season our form had picked up and fans had moved onto laughing at another team.

This season, everyone has had a good laugh at Liverpool. From their woeful league performances to the fact that they bought Andy Carroll, Stuart Downing and Jordan Henderson for the combined cost of a small moon. The handling of the Luis Suarez affair didn’t help matters. And seeing such a grand old team as Liverpool struggling, football fans did what they do best and put the boot in. Not because they particularly dislike Liverpool (although I’m sure some do) but because it was Liverpool’s turn to take a kicking. That’s just how it works. But as the season comes to an end, Liverpool have already won the League Cup and are in the FA Cup Final. They may not be in the Champions League places as they’d hoped, but it could turn into a decent season. Liverpool fans may well have the last laugh.

So the thing to remember when everyone is laughing at your team is that it isn’t a vendetta. It’s not a conspiracy to destabilise your club. It's not a media bias. It's not personal. It’s just football.

Blog by Greg

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Trob757 (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Great article. It sucks to be on the receiving end of the stick right now, but as a Spurs fan that's something I've become accustomed to
Oh well, I'm just looking forward to the first 20 games of next season when we do well. Then it will be more pain for Spurs again
Kodyx (Juventus) 2 years ago
This is football
ManutdLambda (Manchester United) 2 years ago
No one cares about FA cup unless it's part of a treble....    For example, who remembers the team that won FA cup in 2010?
Smeegrat (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I think it was Chelsea
KeviUnited (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Um, that's was very easy to remember mate. It was Chelsea and that was when they did the double (EPL & FA). That didn't even need google or any other search engine :\
Partoba (Liverpool) 2 years ago
One of the bias. LOL
Ashup78 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
@manutd lamda.... This article does not signify the importance of any cup or tittle.... Lol
Honestabe (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Lol owned by another united fan.... Nice try though bud
Aatir (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I can't help laughing....  Its more about fortunes than a particular cup.
ILikeTurtles (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Hey and the best thing about being on the receiving end is being able to do it to another team when yours pick up. I stayed very quiet on here at the start of the season and tried to stay away from reading any comments about Arsenal but now we have picked up again it's sweet to watch others fall.

But hell, as we always say: There's always next year!
PartyTerrorist (Aston Villa) 2 years ago
Yeah, what goes around definitely comes back around. I heartily laughed at all my Geordie mates expense when they were relegated, and we were pushing for Champions League. Oh how the tables have turned for a Villan
Vishal024 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Well written, once again everyone must remind themselves that this sort of thing is predominantly banter. Football would be dull and mundane like many other sports I could specify without this element of satire, jocular conversation and rivalry
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
This article needed to be written, the number of times I find "this article is anti-(Enter Team Here)" is ridiculous, it's like a writer can't criticise a club without being called names or being accused of hating the club under fire.

Part of being a football supporter is suffering, and if you're not willing to suffer when it's your tun then you may as well switch teams every week, but don't you dare call your self a supporter.

In the case of Liverpool this season and more recently Spurs, your team is playing badly, have the humility to accept it rather than think it's some sort of secret pro-Man United/Arsenal conspiracy
Jerrold777 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Haha good stuff Greg. Too many fans get wayyyy to caught up on the harmless banter
Jeganx (Liverpool) 2 years ago
22 years without ever winning league title and become a laughing stock all the time? I'm used to it.... So remember this, every team has it's glory days. The thing is when I started to like football, I might have chosen the wrong team to support, the graph is already going down, but you can't just change and become other team fans, being a fans is a lifetime.

So, still hopeful that my team can make a turn one day and be a great team once again
Keep the faith man.... There is no "wrong team" to support unless one is a bandwagon fan you know?
L4life (Liverpool) 2 years ago
What a biased article.... Only mentioned premiership teams
ILikeTurtles (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I assume this was ironic, if it was thank you, it was very funny
Coded1960 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
True talk, everybody laughed at chelsea, all through the slip ups, beaten by all the top 7 clubs and even west Brom, but now it has moved to another team maybe spurs LOL, after our heroics against, Napoli and cavani, barcelona and messi that everyone worshiped, thats's the beauty of the game, no condition is permanent, of course except you are fighting relegation
CHELSEABOY93 (Chelsea) 2 years ago
As a chelsea fan I've had plenty of ridicule through the years. Especially the last two years when chelsea have had these mysterious slumps of form. Its not fun when your best friends happent to be arsenal and Man UTD fans, arguments daily lol (oh and the random juventus fan, idk why) but its completely natural to go through the berating and hateful remarks about your team but you got to deal with it. If you can't take it then your soft and shouldn't be a football supporter. Real men don't back out.... Or pull out
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Hahaha agreed, except my best mates are united, liverpool and (this is even more random) hull fans
Kisho (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Where is 'Suprising Teams'?
"that's no moon.... Its a space station"
Franky4fingers (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Barcelona fans will be facing a hurricane of taunts and insults if their team doesn't do as well as they have done in the past 4 years (which is most likely) during which Barca fans have been pretty arrogant. I have drinking buddies who support Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, United and we all laugh at each other's teams every week. Sometimes people get really angry.... We had a case where one of my buddies smashed his beer mug on the floor! Its all part of being fans. You win some, you lose some.... And then you have be the butt of all football jokes.

Another one is when you have "Opinion Columns" written by sports writers and fans get mad at them for being biased or call it bad journalism. "espn should fire Graham Hunter!" Well, its a opinion mate. Everybody gets to have one in a free world

Kick4Life - changing lives through football