Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
United's Pre-season
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Ahhh football is back! Before we get into this new season, let’s take a look back on whom will not be with us this upcoming year.

Who’s that man from Argentina? Who’s that man we all adore? Of course, it is the man that always gave 100%, the man that would work harder than every man on the pitch, the man who always seems to have the knack of getting those vital goals. Tevez was the catalyst to United’s success when we needed a pick-me-up, and will be remembered for giving everything he had to the club. When he returns to Old Trafford, he’ll be receiving a standing ovation from the United faithful. Good luck to him.

Moving on to Ronaldo, he is an arrogant, self-centered egotist, and he also just happens to be a legend. Ronaldo is moving on to Real Madrid for his own personal gain which is understandable I suppose. Cristiano has won everything he possibly can at United, and is seeking a new challenge. He’ll be remembered for his cheeky flicks/tricks, stunning long range shots and free-kicks, and scoring goals galore. Cristiano is irreplaceable, but we will be able to cope without him considering the depth of our squad and the genius of Fergie. Let’s take a look back on his time with United.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Good times

Enough about that, let’s talk about this upcoming pre-season. We’ll be starting off the tour of Asia in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Kickoff will be Saturday 10.30 (BST) so make sure you tune in for the match. After that, we were going to travel to Jakarta, Indonesia, but after a series of bombings, including the bombing of a hotel United were due to stay in, we have cancelled that trip. Thoughts go out to anyone affected by the bombings.

South Korea and China will now be the next destination of the club with matches on the 24th and 26th respectively. Once this is completed, we will head to Germany for the Audi Cup where we will play Boca Juniors and either Bayern Munich or AC Milan. Then to round it off, we’re back home to face Valencia on the 5th of August before are season kicks off against Chelsea on the 9th with the Community Shield up for grabs.

The traveling squad for the Asian tour will consist of Edwin van der Sar, Tomasz Kuszczak, Ben Foster; Jonny Evans, Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville, Wes Brown, John O’Shea, Fabio da Silva; Nani, Zoran Tosic, Darren Fletcher, Anderson, Darron Gibson, Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick, Ryan Giggs; Michael Owen, Dimitar Berbatov, Federico Macheda, Wayne Rooney. Vidic, Obertan, and Valencia, are due to link up with the team in Germany, but strangely Park will miss the trip which will be disheartening for some of the Asian fans as he is the most popular player over there for obvious reasons.

The games against the Asian teams won’t really tell us much, but when we get to Germany we will see how we measure up against these quality clubs. These games will hopefully bring some insight on how we will play this upcoming season without Ronnie there.

Of our three signings, I’m interested in seeing what Obertan has to offer most. I’ve only seen him play a few times when he played with France’s U21’s in which he has impressed. Obertan is a versatile player that can play out wide or through the middle, and he is very quick. I doubt we will see much of him this season though as he still has much to improve on. He will most likely only get time in the Carling and FA cups or come on as a sub and perhaps a full game here or there against the likes of Burnley and Hull.

As for Owen, I just want to see if he can remain healthy by the time the season starts! We all know his abilities when he’s healthy and on great teams. Owen has gone through many injuries, but he is quality and has an eye for goal. Let’s see if he can rekindle that form he possessed while playing for Liverpool, Real Madrid, and England.

That leaves the Ecuadorian Valencia. Please, don’t compare him to Ronaldo, or call him Ronnie’s replacement that is not why we brought him here. He’s a very talented winger who can also play through the middle. Valencia has pace and the ability to get behind the defence with his skills on the ball. He will be the player to get the ball from the defence and deliver it to the forwards to finish the job. He needs to improve on his finishing though, but he will be a great addition to our squad.

Edit: Park will join the squad in South Korea. The friendly we were to play in Indonesia will be replaced by a re-match against Malyasia on Monday kickoff at 13.45(BST). Obertan will not be joining us in Germany since he didn't recover from an injury, but Hargreaves will be there to train with the team. He is expected to make his return by September.
VanPersie (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Wow that post will up your fan valuation a bit. Some great points in there though. I hope Man UTD will carry on like usuall with out Ronaldo. I don't want them winning to many games but I want them to play entertaining football like last season
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
As For Owen People think he's bad signing as for the form he has been in of late. But lets not forget his glory days

And these are just his goals
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
To me his the expect opposite of a bad signing. I don't really think he has been in 'bad' form more like hasnt had a chance to get going because his had 'bad' injuries. He was still scoring on average of every second game for newcastle, when he wasnt injured ofcorse , so aslong as he doesn't get injured I think he will play great.

When I come over to Uk in September I think I will be getting Owen on the back of my shirt
Ltm017 5 years ago
Yes as long as he "Does Not" get injured....  Every other word for him is injured.        
Starting line-up

------Rooney------Berba------
Nani--Scholes---Anderson--Gibson
Evra---Evans---Rio---O'Shea
----------------vds--------------
I'm assuming that for preseason match? Not during the season.... If so then yea I agree, except maybe Brown instead of Oshea. This is Nani's chance to step up and show his intentions for the upcoming season
Aye it's for the match that's on right now
Yea I know missed first 20 min!
So far Evra is not playing very well. I hope tosic and owen come on second half, would like to see them
Pandabeer (Ajax) 5 years ago
Are you insane mate? Tevez is an ignorant lying backstabbing argie. Above all; he is going to play in the Wastelands, thereby he is betraying every Man United supporter he always said to adore.

In the last weeks he has repeaditly been insulting Sir Alex Ferguson, the most important person who ever walked into Manchester United. If you really want to choose this argie over SAF you cannot call yourself a Man United fan. Maybe you need to step over to City and buy an ugly light blue wasteland shirt.

See for your self how much of a liar this Argie is by looking to some quotes over the last season:

July 2009: “I was there for two years and Sir Alex never called or sent any text messages in that time, ” said Tevez today. “The only time he talked to me was after a match against Roma to discuss a situation about going to play for Argentina. It doesn’t seem that this is the way to treat a player in two years at the club. It doesn’t seem there is a line of communication. ”

April 2nd 2009: “From the moment I arrived, he has treated me with respect as a person. His greatest quality is that, for him, there are no star players - everyone is equal, whether they cost many millions or are a young player who hasn’t played many times for the team. When I see him work he reminds me of Carlos Bianchi, who was my coach at Boca Juniors in Argentina. Both have had a big influence on my career, and both know how to treat people. “

January 4th 2009: “We have not started talks with Manchester United yet, though I am keen to stay. Sir Alex Ferguson has told me he wants me to remain a United player and that is certainly my desire too. My contract ends in the summer and we have agreed to sit down at the end of the season and discuss a new contract, nothing I have heard from the club suggests it will be otherwise. There is simply no reason to sit down now. I have a great relationship with Sir Alex and I hope that will continue long into the future. “

December 16th 2008: “We have been talking about it and everything is very advanced, as a consequence I think it will be sorted soon. I feel respected by my team-mates and by the staff. ”

Standing ovation !? Are you insane?! HE WILL GET boo'ed on in the worst possible way!

[edited by mod to keep within footytube guidelines]

Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Nice big post PB, but had to edit out a load of swearing and some borderline racism. Check out the guidelines and try to keep within them

Link: www.footytube.com/forums/the-stands-general-footy-...
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Really your not fair! That's it is okay for fergie to bench him but not okay for him to complain or make a move to a club that he will get more playing time! And I'm sure alot of players have said stuff to the press they didn't mean please not every good thing you here is true stop living in a fairy tale world man grow up ! Stop reading Pinocchio and Pocahontas books and associate it in football ! It doesn't matter all the good thing that tevez said we could all clearly see every time when untied played and he wasnt in the line up! Now the club that's suits the money and playign time he needs happens to be thier rivals! So? Fergie was not tinking of that when he bought the flop of the premier league berbatov or benching please ! So you want tevez to inconvenience himself and play for a club that not his rival when fergie didn't care ! Your funny lol !
Haha whoa calm down mate. Now how did I exactly choose Carlitos over Fergie? I'm just saying when Tevez played he gave everything he had. You got to respect that which is why everytime he was playing you could hear us singing Fergie, sign him up. Fergie waited too long and Tevez felt disrespected, and I understand that. I do admit that he needs to stop talking about Fergie, and focus on himself
Ltm017 5 years ago
Does Tevez know you have this horrible grudge against him? Don't let your heart stop over this. Its business.... Everything is. And hey at least he waited until he left before he said anything too too bad....

I probably wouldn't have

Andy (Rangers) 5 years ago
Next Mancunian derby, listen to the reception Tevez will get. I live in a MU household, and the Tevez fridge magnet is still firmly on the fridge (literally)

It is pretty much accepted that the reason why Tevez left United was SAF's mismanagement of the entire situation. Little blame is placed on Tevez, he did not want to leave the EPL and City gave him the best opportunity, he didn't even have to relocate. Tevez will always be in the hearts of United fans, the kind of primitive football logic you are employing to slam Tevez is not a view widely shared at all
Derrida (Bristol City) 5 years ago
Does it really matter? Tevez always played hard and oozed effort but realistically his quality was always lacking. There were games when he couldn't put a good pass through to save his life. With Man Utd's quickness and fluidity of play execution is key and that is why Fergie didn't mind letting him go. Sometimes your just not good enough and in Tevez's case that seemed to be apparent. I can see him being an above average journeyman player but he certainly doesn't need to be idolized among the greats at old trafford he was here for only two years
Aliko (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Tevez is such a good player and he scored fantastic goals for United! Next Season he will do more at ManCity! Adebayor+Robinho+Tevez+Belamy.... This will be a good opponent for United!
FR3SHPRIINCE (Manchester United) 5 years ago
No chelsea and liverpool
Its3li (Manchester United) 5 years ago
How can you possibly think Tevez will recieve a standing ovation? Are you mad? After slagging off the manager the way he did, repeatedly, that Argie will only get jeers from me. He can take his five Premier League goals.

He's nothing but a Judas,
Tevez, Tevez!
He's got his head on back to front,
Tevez, Tevez!
No one's bigger than our club,
You're no good that's why you're a sub,
Carlos Tevez, the Wastelands' greatest pride!

I agree 100% with Pandabeer. You call Ronaldo an "arrogant, self-centered egotist" but he has shown far more class with his move than Tevez will have in his life. Ronnie could have left before last season but stayed on because of his respect for Fergie. I wish Ronaldo all the best in Madrid, it's been his dream since he was a kid. HE will get an ovation when he returns, but Tevez? Come on mate, you're having a laugh if you really think he deserves any respect whatsoever.
First off maybe his return will be more split than I first thought, but there will be both cheers and jeers. Tevez scored important goals for us and played with his heart out. I believe he wanted to stay, but he felt disrespected and insignificant. If Tevez was giving an important role, he would still be here. You only have one career and he doesn't want towaste it on United's bench. Fergie probably believed he wasn't good enough and Fergie nearly always gets it right so I'll go with that. He knows what he's doing, but Tevez did serve us well while he was here.

Secondly, Ronnie wanted to leave last season, but Fergie said no. He didn't stay out of respect of Fergie. Cristiano stayed because he didn't have a choice. Like you said in your song there, no one's bigger than our club.

With that being said, I will first cheer for Tevez, but then I will follow it by singing with the rest of the crowd about him being a **** and how he is playing for man sh***y. We already got two that I know of. I'll give respect where it's due though
Link: therepublikofmancunia.com/carlitos-dreadful-miscal...

I'd hardly say Tevez was spending his career on the bench. He's just so full of himself that he felt he should play every minute of every game. And while that's a good quality to have in a player, he took it to another level, one that was detrimental to the squad as a whole. He really did think he was bigger than the club. Take Moscow for instance, when he turned his jersey around and displayed his name on the front with the Argie flag around his neck. It was all Cuntiltos, all the time.

If you want to cheer for him, fair enough, I can't push my view on every fellow supporter. But I know I won't be singing and praises of him at all. To be honest, I hope Vida breaks Tevez's stubby little legs in the derby
Tevez only started in 18 premier league and 4 champions league matches. He wants to play in the important ones not the Carling cup
That article holds little merit and if anything backs up Tevez's claims. It is a pokey article which disregards the varying importance of competitions and injuries.

Of course Tevez will have played longer in the FA Cup and Carling Cup, because City were put out at the first possible opportunity in both competitions. Humiliating defeats to Forest and Brighton&Hove Albion, matches that Robinho was rested for as they seemed easy results from the outset. United won the Carling Cup and reached the semi's in the FA Cup, so of course Tevez had far more opportunities to play lower-string football than Robinho.

Tevez's gripe was the level of football he was playing at, the fact that he played so much Carling Cup football rather than Premier League football goes on to prove his point. He was partnering Gibson and Wellbeck in a second string Carling cup side when he should have been with Rooney and Rio.

That article makes no sense in the slightest, Robinho would have played more football than Tevez had City been in competitions as long as United were. The author is backing up the entire article with the idea that City will play just as much football next season, as they did last season which is completely bogus given their shock exits in competitions.

It is a pathetic attempt to sketch some sort of Judas character around Tevez and it fails miserably. Tevez was concerned with the quality of football he was playing rather than the quantity and the pokey comparative stats that "Scott the Red" provides prove absolutely nothing. SAF made a mistake, some United fans just have to deal with it, rather than turning that man from Argentina into something he is not
I figured you for a Bluenose until I saw you were a Gers fan.

As the article stated, the maximum number of games Tevez can play this season is 51. That's assuming he appears in every game, which is unlikely, and assuming Citeh make a cup final, which is even more unlikely.

I'm not saying the situation was perfectly managed, but I'm convinced it's because of Tevez, not because of Fergie. He's a typical Argie c**t, just like Gabby, not even bothering to learn the language and booking as soon as they stop getting everything they want. His five Premier League goals weren't worth anything in the area of the £25 million Kia wanted, and that's the bottom line. That's what happens when you deal with a business rather than a player. If he's happy rotting in the the empty Trophy Tomb at the Wastelands for an extra £40, 000 a week, let him go. I sincerely believe our squad is much better this year than it was last. Remember 2006
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
It's amazing to see the level of bile and spite that some Man United fans show for their ex-players. Let's remember that Michael Owen has just signed for United and the worst I've seen anywhere on these forums is one or two people calling him a traitor.

All the boo-boys are coming out of the woodwork to say things like "Argie ****", "not even bothering to learn the language".come on lads, raise your game. To anyone not blinkered by Alex Ferguson man-love, its obvious that Tevez was treated badly at United and he was going to move.

I think Tevez will get a mixed reaction at Old Trafford but of course the empty vessels make most noise and all you'll hear will be the booing
I've discussed this in other threads and he did have a bit of a anger problem and a sometimes overly passioned attitude.

Now that's not to say he wasn't good for us in many ways, and we should have let him leave.
We should have given him the deal that should have bee good sooner, but Tevez was unforgiving and made up his mind to soon

We gave him and acceptable offer and I think he should have taken it. I will miss him, but the hatred between Fergie and him was bad so I'm glad the whole thing is over and as I have said before it was bad for the club

But No fans should hate Tevez and call him ****. We shouldn't call him a traitor either, I under stand his decision to go to Man City because of his family just like Ronaldo's decision to leave for Real Madrid

So there will be mixed reactions as you see here at Old Trafford. I'm just glad it's over
Elucari (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Man u's going struggle through premier league this year, it's going to be an exciting season
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Fergie says he has to re-shuffle the positions and formations of his squad....

Link: www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/deta...
Any thoughts on who man utd will sign? Fergie has come out twice and said there will be no more signings but straight after those comments reporters have asked Gill and he has said there not ready to stop yet?

Personally I don't think there will be anymore but if there is who do you think? After watch the preseason I think we need hargreaves back for that defensive midfield, but who knows with his injuries, he's worse than owen in that department
Yea It's a big problem we need a center mid because we lost our best. Hargreaves is critical to us just look in the UCL final when our center mid field fell to pieces. That wouldn't have happened if we had Hargo There he is very important to us.

That being said with injuries and all we can't depend upon him if he keeps these injuries up like this. So lets hope he gets his body straightened out so he can play with us again.

So I don't Think Sir Alex will be signing a striker with the Owen signing and all but I think now that we got wingers, if he should go after anyone he should get a good center mid like hargo.
If I where to pick either Sneijder only cause he'd be easier to get, and maybe Yaya Toure but I don't thnk he'll be coming anytime soon
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
It looks like Gill is still interested in signing new talent, particularly Costa.... The only way we'll sign him, however, is if they significantly lower the asking price. 20 some million is way to much for a player who's only just made it as a regular first team component, even if he is "the next Ronaldinho. "
Er, I think I heard Tim Vickery explain Douglas Costa on the world football phone-in one night.

He has a 24mil release clause, yet Gremio are in serious financial difficulties and they need to let a big star go to stay afloat. (I think?)

United's scouting network is all over him and a behind-the-scenes de facto deal might take place this summer. He is still young, and his talent may be spoiled coming across to Europe so soon after blossoming for the Brazilian youth teams
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Well if he turns out anything like the other young Brazilians on United (Fabio and Rafael), he'll be a success at the club. Not that the twins have really come all that far, but they look like they will be outstanding defenders within a couple of years. He looks to have lots of raw talent, and it would be a great investment for United to take such a young improving player under their more-than-capable wing. Fergie knows how to grow raw talent and I'd love to see the kid as a Red Devil
A little birdy told me that Man Utd have placed an 8m bid with extra on how many apperences, goals etc.... He gets. An Chelsea have made a 7m bid with similar extras.

Hope he comes to united he is a good player now and he is only 18, imagine in 5 years with the united coaches working with him, he will be the new ronaldo
I haven't seen him play much but that would be awesome, we always need a Ronaldo type player.
Sounds like a good signing but 24m for an unistablished player is a bit much
Jogabonito (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Fergie's not signing anyone.    Glad to see that Park is back in the pre season squad.    I'm korean.
OW so good.    United 2-0 Malaysia XI    Owen scores again
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Rooney was amazing against Malaysia XI. He's assist for Nani was amazing. So was Scholes he did one amazing pass for rooney. All he had to do is stick he's leg out. Both keeper were bad for the game
EmYouEffSee (Manchester United) 5 years ago
So far owen is having a great season or pre-season better said even though theyve only been 2 games. Of course the malaysian xi are probably only as good as stoke (no offence to any potters) but if he can keep up his form and raise his game to even harder teams, then he will be great for united. I can't wait to see what he might do against liverpool...
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
WOW, owen is doing fantastic with 7! And also Man UTD are doing better then any of us thought! Its amazing and yes I'm waiting for that vital game with Liverpool!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football