Forums / The footytube Blog
Order: Newest / Oldest
Top 10 Greatest Footballers Of All Time
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
1 Pele (Brazil) Pele (born 23 October 1940), was listed in Time magazine as one of the 100 Most Important People of the 20th Century. The driving force behind 3 world cup wins for Brazil, and with over 1280 goals in 1363 games, Pele is a shoe-in for the top spot.

2 Diego Maradona (Argentina) The pint-sized Argentinian (born 30 October 1960) is oft-remembered for the controversial 'hand of god' goal in Mexico 86. The incident eclipsed the goal that followed - which happens to be probably one of his greatest of all time.
3 Zinedine Zidane (France) 'Zizou' needs little introduction. FIFA World player of the year three times, Zidane is pure class. Even managing to keep his cool and still score after puking mid-way through a penalty kick!
4 Johan Cruyff (Holland) Voted European Player of the Century, and a major proponent of "Total Football.", Cruyff played 48 internationals, scoring 33 goals.

5 George Best (Northern Ireland) Perhaps the greatest British footballer of all-time.
6 Enzo Francescoli (Uruguay) Noted for his grace and fluid abilities on the ball, these qualities would later influence the style of Zidane, who has stated that Francescoli was his favorite player as a young boy and even named one of his sons after him.
7 Sir Bobby Charlton (England) England's all-time top goal scorer and the powerhouse behind their World Cup winning side in 66.

8 Michel Platini (France) One of the greatest passers of the ball the game has seen, the Frenchman is also notble for his fantastic finishing abilities.
9 Alfredo Di Stefano (Argentina) The 'Blond Arrow' helped Real Madrid to five successive European Cup victories in the 50's.
10 Franz Beckenbauer (Germany) One of the greatest midfielders the game has seen, and has twice won the much coveted European footballer of the year award.

Greatest Goalkeeper: Peter Schmeichel (Denmark) Helping Manchester United to the treble in 1999 and Denmark to the Euros in 92, there is no doubt in my mind that Schmeichel was far better at goalkeeping than football punditry P.S. Arsenal fans look away now!

Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Wooohooo! At least someone agrees with me that Pele is better than Maradona.... Oh, and sorry, i've never heard of no. 6...
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
No eusebio, ronaldo or klinsman? Okay when I wake up i'll make a list
SeBBy23 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Agreed, Pele took football to another level, still somebody to look up to
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
In this list, I always like Platini and Zizou. Well then I dislike Maradona. I agree he is a good footballer but I just hate him
5 years ago
What about georghe hagi he was the best in the 80s and 90s the king in long distant shots
he is also from romania like me yay!

And yes maradona I hate him he used to do drug abuse to children very sad
5 years ago
Here is more info I found on gheorghe hagi from romania

Gheorghe Hagi, known as "the Maradona of the Carpathians" was a genius on the field, and his ability to score from free kicks using his deadly left foot is legendary. In his hometown of Constanta, the stadium was re-named in his honor. He began playing his local side, Farul Constanta in 1982. He later joined Sportul Studentesc, in while at Sportul he was the leading scorer in the Divizia A in the 1985-86 season. He was immediately signed by Steaua Bucharest, where he went on to win the European supercup. With Steaua, Hagi led the team to three league and cup doubles. After the 1990 World Cup, he went to Real Madrid, and in 1992 joined Brescia in the Serie A. In 1994 he played for Barcelona with Gica Popescu, and he left Barcelona for Galatasaray in '96.

Hagi made his debut for the national side at the age of 18 in 1983. Since then he was been, literally, the cause of the rise of Romanian soccer in the 1990s. His playing style revolutionized the Romanian game - his speed and creativity made those famous counter-attacks possible. At 5'8" tall, wearing size five boots, Hagi is one of the more diminutive players on the field, but in terms of his impact on the game, and the status of Romanian soccer, he is larger than life. By bringing so much respect to Romanian soccer, Hagi opened up opportunities for future players, as clubs from all over Europe come to scout talent in Romania. Hagi, deservedly, was named Romanian player of the century.

1982-1983 - Farul Constanţa
1983-1987 - Sportul Studenţesc
1987-1990 - Steaua Bucharest
1990-1992 - Real Madrid
1992-1994 - Brescia Calcio
1994-1996 - FC Barcelona
1996-2001 - Galatasaray
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 5 years ago
WHO cares LOL  
Tomppeli (Preston North End) 5 years ago
The list is good except for Schmeichel, he was really good and the best f his time but Banks and Yashin were better than him
Duartej86 (CA Boca Juniors) 5 years ago
Wheres Ronaldo
Algerian10 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Pele is better than Maradona, but I don't agree that Maradona is better than Zizou, maybe this is due I don't like Maradona and I LOVE Zidane but.... In my opinion, Zizou is better than Maradona
Youngy (Newcastle United) 5 years ago
Romokid777's done his homework lol
Sam (Juventus) 4 years ago
I might be slightly biased, but within reason- I think that Buffon has won everything one can win as a player and deserves to be considered the greatest goalie of all time.... Schmeichel was good, but given the choice, I think most people would pick Buffon
SzakalNH (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Great player, Europ Maradona
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 4 years ago
Where is ronaldo (the fat one) he took goal scoring to the next level top five maybe not but gotta' be in anybodys top 10
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Did you see cruyff's penalty kick one time? It was brilliantly worked out, but I feel sorry for the keeper.

Cruyff also patented the cruyff turn, and I think he was a brilliant player
BruscoACM (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I definitely think Buffon is the best goalkeeper of all time! This may be biased but his statistics speak for themselves.... Great track record and a very reliable goalie!
SYYYM (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I think kahn was the best
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I'm going old school here.... Without a doubt.... Pat jennings
FutureMUplayer (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Beckenbauer is great in both defending and attacking great German production
Its or schmeichel or Gordon Banks they were amazing Buffon is good but I've seen some big mistakes that a good experienced goalie won't make
I think that Eusbio should be in the list
Hagi is just wonderful!  I saw only 2 amazing goals of him but after this video I think he is way better than Beckham
I think that there are many players in the same level that are not in the list it should be the top 50 players lol
In soccer you will find more talents than any other sport in the world
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Maradona should at the top
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Maradona should at the top
Micky (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Best keeper is yashin  
Micky (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Go to
MariusV (Manchester United) 4 years ago
That is one big long thread!
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Great list and thank you for the huge video clips for each player. I'll have to sit and savour them sometime I have a decent hour to kill.

I would suggest for people replying here, that if they feel some certain player was greater than another, or if they have a new player to recommend, please argue your case and/or provide a video clip for reference. That would make for a far better read and discussion than just writing that you disagree but not explaining why
I have one that I would like to add.... Although I'm not fond of Milan at all,I think Maldini should be placed asone one of the all time bests....

Or Eric Cantona, he was simply incredible....

Stscorer (1. Nürnberg) 5 years ago
I don't think you can compare former players like pele with zidane.... Or even actual players like messi. There was a huge developement within football. The game became much faster and the most important thing: defending really did improve. It became more physical and there are lots more tacklings and body contacts. Also the training approved - football became a full time job! I don't think pele could have scored the goals he did against an actual world class defence. I personally think, actual players would beat former players with ease. Different opinions? Nonetheless pele was a great players, as all the other listed players were. They were the dominating players in their decades - but I can't make friends with listings like "greatest of all times"...
Good point, but I think he wants us to just list the player who gave you the best football you've ever seen, instead of how many goals they scored.... Just rate them by their sheer "shock value"...
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 5 years ago
Noone is going to agree 100% with these kind of lists, they are entirely subjective, and you do make an interesting point, it's not very easy to predict how players of old would fare in today's game.

However, it is fair to assume that in the majority of cases, if these legendary players were given the same tools and training to that of modern players, they would of course still shine today, just as they did back in their day when compared against their peers (who developed in the same training environment etc.)

It is far more about innate and intuitive ability / genius on the pitch than it is athleticism
Matt (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
Stscorer I couldn't disagree more with your comment. Yes football is more 'serious' and professional now but the rules have evolved so much in the favour of attacking football that defenders can get booked for having the intent of contact.

In Pele's day he would have to contend with defenders giving him a welcome boot in the game which would result, at the very worst in a free kick. Ronaldo in comaprison can get a player booked by avoiding a tackle and falling over.

I think if you asked both players which era they would prefer to play in both would want to play right now
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 5 years ago
Took the keys out of my fingertips, Matt, I was just about to write the same thing. Pele says he would have score twice as much if he had played in today's football, I believe him. Players would beat the crap out of each other and cards were only used in extreme situations, so defenders would always stop an attack with tackles to the player and it was no big deal, the forwards had to be amazingly strong and skillful to just walk past them as pele did.

Elucari (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Hooray for george best, he's my favorite player of all time
Alen (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Great list
Gigiggg9 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Amazing goalie!
[account-removed] 5 years ago
First of all awesome list! Kevin Keegan and Dalgish might have a word to say....

I really think that Pele was is and will always be over rated. Okay he scored a lot of goals, but skill wise? C'mon even george best had more skill than him! He might have won some world cups but he was surounded with stars whereas Maradona won the world cup with an average team. I am not saying he was rubbish, but only that I don't think he was the best ever.

Maybe because I love technical players that my point of view is different. For me Maradona, best, zidane, dalgish, zola, keegan now messi are just out of this world.
Have you ever seen pele play? You have got to be kidding me, who were the stars he was surrounded by when he won the world cup in 1958 (he was 17) and 1962? Garrincha? Vava? Maybe one or two stars, which didn't become world renounced until after these cups. Brazil in the 70's wasn't the favorite either, Pele had even retired from international play as he was old and out of shape but the Dictatorship in Brazil forced him to play that cup and he was arguably the best player of the competition. I hate to post another video of him but that kind of offended me hahaha, so I'd rephrase your argument with "he was extremely skillful AND score a lot og goals":

Since you are speaking of technical players, we should then mention Zico, arguably the most technical and creative player ever, the "White Pele". Here's a video of Zico playing against Liverpool in 1981.

Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Indeed very technical, Zico is gifted, he's Brazilian it's to be expected haha. His scorpion goal is one of my favorites
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
If you like clips, look for Maradona's. Pele would be considered child's play by his standards. Maybe only Zidane and Platini and zico comes close to rivalling him. Dalglish not far either. Pele will only be the greatest goal scorer. Not the greatest as in footballing talents. Other than Pele, the 4 players i've mentioned can literally drag their teams to winning. Maradona gifted lowly Napoli 2 SerieA titles by his own. He lifted the game surrounding his teammates
SHUNGEN (Nagoya Grampus) 5 years ago
Zico is a great player.... He came to the J League and was a pioneer to play there.... Wasn't as impressive as a coach though.... Maybe it's something common among great players that they can't be great tactical minds?

Eg Zico, Maradona, Van Basten...
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 4 years ago
Wow thanks for putting up the vid of zico I new he was good but he looks like such a sharp thinker aswell
REDDevil98 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
What about Johan Cruijff both a good player (tactical) and a good coach
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
1. Pele
2. Maradona
3. Cruyftt
4. Beckenbauer
5. Zidane
6. Best
7. Platini
8. Di Stefano
9. Charlton
10. Schemichel
Dede75 (PSG) 5 years ago
Are you mad schmeichel and Charlton, lfmao I don't think so !
SzakalNH (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
No, Schmeichel was a best
Anirudhkitt (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Well only a madman would put schemichel there and forget about a certain lev yashin.

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Yashin
Schemichel c'mmon, their have been so many better goal keepers than him. Clemence, shilton, Grobbelaar etc...
On the contrary, I personally think that Schmichiel is the best Goal keeper in history, he has won multiple things in his prime and is known as the Great Dane. He fully deserves this title, with his acrobatic saves and lightning-quick reactions....
Though, Kahn and others are also very good....
No offense intended
None taken, that's the beauty of this site, everyone has the right to express their own opininon. Btw! I agree schmiciel was great but not the best
VanPersie (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Maradona was best in his time I think like in the 86 world cup. I think He was the best footballer ever in that tournament, His form was not as consistent as pele who was at his best nearly his whole carrer. The list is prety good I think. Eusebio and Ferenc Pukas unluky not to be in their
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think not to cause confusion or argument you should change the title to "Top 10 Football Legend of All Time" seeing as they were good for their time but like Stscorer said football has come along way since the day of Pele, Maradona and Best. They were the best of their time but not of history, just like one can argue ronaldo or messi are the best now but in 20 years people will say the samething, that football has evolved
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Yes I think so to it seems unfair to other players that have so many achievements!
I beg to differ, bro. I mean, yes they were the best players at their time and that's exactly what makes them the best players in history, which is a recollection of time.... Of course this list will vary greatly on who makes top 10, but to see players like Pele, Maradona, etc make the top 2 in 90% of all lists, kind of allow them to be placed as the greatest players of all time. It is the impact on the game and how it echoes though history, how else are we suppose to rate them? 10 years ago Zidane wouldn't have made the list, now he has probably earned a place in most of the lists in the world, same with Ronaldo the phenomenon (which isn't here, but a lot of people would place him somewhere). Bring 17 year old Pele or coked up Maradona back from time and I bet you they would strive at any team as the best player again
Manutdnyc2 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
What about Messi? He is the best player ever, what he can do with a football is insane
Manutdnyc2 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
What about Messi? He is the best player ever, what he can do with a football is insane
Elucari (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Maradona Good  Pele Better  George Best
Varun29 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Imo, maradona is the best ever player to have kicked a ball.... Pele is great, during his time, there was no man marking and football wasn't rough compared to the era when maradona was playing...
You are out of your mind. SO you are implying that the game has gotten rougher through the years? Maybe more physically demanding and faster, not rougher by any means at all, wow I can't even imagine anyone that even considers that to be true
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
It is true. Watching back on Pele's clips and those clips from Real madrid legends, the markings in those eras were non-existent. Players get alot more time on the ball than around the 80s period
Algerian10 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Are you saying Maradona is better than Pele, if this is the case you are out of YOUR MIND!
Fano23 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Maradonna will always be better than pele.... Pele could only stand and shoot.... He would not run.... Maradonna was capable of dragging an entire team to victory.... Something pele couldn't do
Vishal024 (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Here we go. These days even mentioning Maradona or Pele in any context seems to spark this sort of argument. Pele was brilliant, so was Maradona. Pele could spread the ball, score and do it well while Maradona could do the same his own way. They are both great players and are incomparable
Escafeld (Sheffield United) 5 years ago
Like someone has mentioned above a list like this is always very contentious. For the record I wouldn't incluce Bobby Charlton in a list of the top 10 greatest footballers ever, I'd replace him with his 1966 England team captain Bobby Moore.

The goalkeeper spot needs looking at too. Schmeichel is a strange choice. Probably looking at the likes of Gordon Banks, Lev Yashin or Dino Zoff.

Good call that someome made with Puskas, he is definitely one of the greatest players ever
Benaldinho (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I agree with STscorer that the game has evolved but what about Ronaldo? Great player at Real Madrid and for Brazil, playing both 'Oldies' football and the modern game. He deserves a spot somewhere on this list!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football